• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 4S |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menelaus

Banned
This is all possible (on the iPhone, not positive on iPad). Just set an alarm or a timer.

If you have Siri, say "set a timer for 30 minutes"

Did you even attempt to read his post? He wants a clock app that LOCKS the phone into a clock-like mode until a certain time.

Enco

Renaming my folders this way has made finding everything so much easier.

The fact that so few apps utilise iCloud syncing between devices is pretty ridiculous. Surely it's not that hard.

lionelhutz

Does anyone have a link for a good US holiday calendar? I want to sync the calendar so I have important dates and US holidays on the iPhone calendar.

MasLegio

Banned

The fact that so few apps utilise iCloud syncing between devices is pretty ridiculous. Surely it's not that hard.

would be good if you could add app shortcuts to have them in multiple folders. Some apps have multiple uses and cannot fit into one single category.

Picobrain

Banned
I think something is wrong with my iPhone 4s (ios 5.1). Normally battery was lasting for one day (heavy usage) at evening it was around 35%. Now it can not hold until evening. I didn't change the way I use my phone, i was doing usual stuff and now 3rd day in a row battery life sucks ass. Its same as before when I was on 5.0.1.

CrankyJay

Banned

Makes sense, but I feel it doesn't cover enough potential genres. I have a lot of sports related apps so something like "Play" would be too generic.

Miggytronz

So i bit the bullet and got me the iPhone 4s through Sprint for my 2 year renewal. They gave me $70 recycle trade credit for my EVO 4g. So i only paid $139.

Hey bought an iPhone 4S 3G in Hong Kong over the weekend, just a quick question can I get genius bar support and stuff here in the UK Apple stores using the receipt I got from the apple store in Hong Kong?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hey bought an iPhone 4S 3G in Hong Kong over the weekend, just a quick question can I get genius bar support and stuff here in the UK Apple stores using the receipt I got from the apple store in Hong Kong?

you should be able to get Genius Bar support for free anywhere in the world, right?

numble

you should be able to get Genius Bar support for free anywhere in the world, right?
iPhones and iPads are treated differently. You can get support for nearly every other Apple product though, including Macs.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html
The AppleCare Protection Plans for Mac and iPod provide global repair coverage. If you take your Apple hardware with you when you travel and happen to need repair service, you can either go to an Apple Retail Store or contact Apple for information on how to obtain service. Service will be limited to the options available in the country where service is requested. Service options, parts availability, and response time vary according to country. Please see the AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions for complete details.
If you click on the links for products that are not iPad or iPhone, they all specifically list global repair coverage, but that's absent from iPad and iPhone.

If you look specifically at the warranties for iPhones and iPads, they have this disclaimer, not listed on other product warranties:

IMPORTANT RESTRICTION
Apple may restrict warranty service to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the Apple Product.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Any idea how much I could get for a 32GB Verizon 4S, or where I can go to get the best sale price for it (eBay, Craigslist, etc.)? I pre-ordered at launch and have given it a fair shake, but I want to go back to Android.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
My wife dropped her iPhone today and the front cracked. It's a shame since it was in a case and everything :/ Well... what are my options (or do I even have any?) if I wanna try and get it fixed? Should I buy an aftermarket front, take it to apple for a repair, buy a new one, or just leave it be. Phone is still useable, just cracked.

ecurbj

My wife dropped her iPhone today and the front cracked. It's a shame since it was in a case and everything :/ Well... what are my options (or do I even have any?) if I wanna try and get it fixed? Should I buy an aftermarket front, take it to apple for a repair, buy a new one, or just leave it be. Phone is still useable, just cracked.

Take it to Apple and politely ask what are your options. 9 times out of 10 depending on the Genius rep he or she will replace your wife iPhone free of charge with a new one. If they don't. Then it will be $200 for a new iPhone.

If its a 4S it's $200. If its a 4, then it's $150.

Before you go to the Apple Store make sure your wife backs up her data to either to iCloud or to her PC.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Take it to Apple and politely ask what are your options. 9 times out of 10 depending on the Genius rep he or she will replace your wife iPhone free of charge with a new one. If they don't. Then it will be $200 for a new iPhone.

If its a 4S it's $200. If its a 4, then it's $150.

Before you go to the Apple Store make sure your wife backs up her data to either to iCloud or to her PC.

I heard that they stopped doing this once they introduced Apple Care (or whatever it's called), that warranty that I opted out of when the phones were purchased. Well, I thought a case would be insurance enough.. apparently not.

ecurbj

I heard that they stopped doing this once they introduced Apple Care (or whatever it's called), that warranty that I opted out of when the phones were purchased. Well, I thought a case would be insurance enough.. apparently not.

Not necessarily. It depends on the Genuis rep. I had my first iPhone 4 replaced free of charge and the front screen was shattered. I told the rep my situation and he came back with a new iPhone 4 and said this is on the house.

Try it. The worst they can do is bill you the $200 (4S) or $150 (4).

X-Frame

Wonderful! I blew past 3GB this month from watching a lot of Netflix and got the text message from AT&T that they will begin throttling me until my billing cycle is up.

Does anyone know how slow they throttle people when they go past their "limit" on Unlimited plans? Is it like 25% of their normal speeds in that area?

ecurbj

Wonderful! I blew past 3GB this month from watching a lot of Netflix and got the text message from AT&T that they will begin throttling me until my billing cycle is up.

Does anyone know how slow they throttle people when they go past their "limit" on Unlimited plans? Is it like 25% of their normal speeds in that area?

Let's just say. You will be switching from 2G and 3G (well 4G in AT&T case with HSPA+ , so 3.5G).

I'm being throttled now on Verizon for doing 3.5GB this billing cycle. I didn't get a text message but I did sense the past few days my 3G slow as a motherfucker. And I have been switching between Verizon's 2G (1XRTT) and 3G (EVDO) constantly. So they are monitoring my data usuage. It doesn't matter really because I've been using WiFi a lot lately. Just wait till the end of the billing cycle and the speeds will return to normal.

For those that are unlimited. We truly aren't unlimited. They are the carriers are capping us once they see us get achieve more data than other customers on the networks. Sucks but I understand completely.

Why keep giving good data speeds to a customer who has used 3 or 4 GB of data and congesting the network vs. a person who only uses several megabytes?

They know what they are doing. Keep the grandfathered unlimited package though. So that you can upgrade to unlimited 4G when the time comes.

I think officially the throttle is 256kbps.

Addnan

I've been having battery problems pretty much as soon as I downloaded 5.1 back whenever it was released. Before 5.1 I could leave my phone over night and it would still be 100%, sometimes 99%.

However ever since 5.1 my battery can drop 30% over night. Anyone else having this problem, or have a fix?

This is my first month being throttled. It's definitely slower than usual, but its not unusable. They should really raise it to 5. When I called AT&T they said "There's limited data to go around to all customers, so we throttle the highest users". What lies.

I made sure to try my best to hit 4 gigs before the billing cycle was up. Finally hit it today on the final day. I'm sure that spites someone somewhere.

Talon

This is my first month being throttled. It's definitely slower than usual, but its not unusable. They should really raise it to 5. When I called AT&T they said "There's limited data to go around to all customers, so we throttle the highest users". What lies.

I made sure to try my best to hit 4 gigs before the billing cycle was up. Finally hit it today on the final day. I'm sure that spites someone somewhere.
These carriers have their heads so far up their asses, they can see daylight.

ecurbj

If I'm being throttled over 3.5 GB, what happens on the AT&T plans that are 5 GB?
Well aren't you paying more money if you have 5GB of data? Makes sense to not throttle those signed up for 5GB because they are paying extra. The grandfathered unlimited data customers are paying $30. Whereas 5GB customers are paying $50.

mrkgoo

Ok, it seems just recently iTunes has stopped asking for passwords when updating my apps (i.e. downloading apps I already have).

Can anyone confirm this?

Shaneus

Ok, it seems just recently iTunes has stopped asking for passwords when updating my apps (i.e. downloading apps I already have).

Can anyone confirm this?
There are settings that go either way. From memory, it's either every time, once every few minutes (if required) or not at all.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Can anyone confirm this?
You can turn the requirement off eg. "remember my password" in iTunes. Otherwise it times out after 15 minutes like on the phone/iPad. Been like that since as long a I can remember.

mrkgoo

There are settings that go either way. From memory, it's either every time, once every few minutes (if required) or not at all.

You can turn the requirement off eg. "remember my password" in iTunes. Otherwise it times out after 15 minutes like on the phone/iPad. Been like that since as long a I can remember.

It still asks me for my password when I buy new apps, but not when I download ones I already have. It used to ask me when I updated. Pretty surei don't have remember my password on, and I'm well aware of the 15 minute time limit.... This is not that.

in the last few couple of weeks I've noticed a considerable drop in battery life on both my ipad and iphone4s, anyone else experiencing this or have an idea why that might be?

Also my ipad seems to drain very quickly when i just leave it lying around, I know some apps can now circumvent the auto sleep, so it might be that, so is there a way of globally turning that shit off?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
It still asks me for my password when I buy new apps, but not when I download ones I already have. It used to ask me when I updated. Pretty surei don't have remember my password on, and I'm well aware of the 15 minute time limit.... This is not that.
I'm not at home so can't check my exact settings but my iTunes hasn't asked me for a password since the first time I set up my library when I installed Lion last year, regardless of updating or buying new apps/music. In any case, it's not a new feature.

MasLegio

Banned
I'm not at home so can't check my exact settings but my iTunes hasn't asked me for a password since the first time I set up my library when I installed Lion last year, regardless of updating or buying new apps/music. In any case, it's not a new feature.
I have noticed the same yesterday and this morning. No longer need to type password to download updates. Thank god, because having to type password to download something that is free is stupid (unless it has IAPs).

mrkgoo

I know it can save your password, but I have never asked it to. This is only for the free updates.
It still requires password to get new stuff off the store.

I have noticed the same yesterday and this morning. No longer need to type password to download updates. Thank god, because having to type password to download something that is free is stupid (unless it has IAPs).

Ok, cool, just needed to know if others saw it aswell...makes it less chance it's a weird bug on my part. Thanks!

MasLegio

Banned
I know it can save your password, but I have never asked it to. This is only for the free updates.
It still requires password to get new stuff off the store.

Ok, cool, just needed to know if others saw it aswell...makes it less chance it's a weird bug on my part. Thanks!

but when I got home and updated the apps this evening it asked for a password so I do not know what is going on...
Maybe it did not need any password when I updated Apple apps (garageband)?

demonkaze

I was wondering if there was any speculation floating around out there about the next possible iphone coming up soon? My upgrade is available at the end of May and I'd rather not waste it on the 4S (Already have a 4) if a new one is right around the corner.

I was wondering if there was any speculation floating around out there about the next possible iphone coming up soon? My upgrade is available at the end of May and I'd rather not waste it on the 4S (Already have a 4) if a new one is right around the corner.
It will most likely be released in the fall (around October) like before, anything earlier is wishful thinking.

I would still recommend waiting though.

mrkgoo

but when I got home and updated the apps this evening it asked for a password so I do not know what is going on...
Maybe it did not need any password when I updated Apple apps (garageband)?

Yeah, I rebooted last night and it started asking again. I wondere if it was just a server tho, like the server itself normally 'asks' and they they were testing or a temporary bug or something?

ecurbj

As someone already said. Just wait till June. Apple hosts an event called WWDC. It's when they announce new hardware or software for there devices. If they don't announce there they should announce it at the October event.

I can't wait. Granted I love my iPhone 4 but it's nothing like knowing your phone upgrade is coming up and the next iPhone announcement is right around the corner.

If you can wait until Fall/October, then hold out for the "new iPhone" instead of the 4S.

MasLegio

Banned
wtf

I cannot synchronize my iPhone since iTunes thinks I have selected 21 gb of some mysterious content/apps/music that I cannot find.

how do I fix this?

itunes sucks

AlexMogil

I dropped my Evo the other day and shattered the screen. Even with Sprint's insurance they wanted a hunded bucks to fix it. So it's over. I tried to hold out until the next announcement or at least until October.

NOPE

It's my first iPhone, and it goes along with my iPad2, iPod 3 1/2 gen, iMac 27, Mini, and two Macbook Pros.

Obviously I held out on Sprint as long as I could. :)

I love Android, I think there are superior things about it, but I'm just tired of *working* on it to make things work. iPhone just has the apps and marketshare. And quality. And stability.

123rl

I feel like an idiot for not realising earlier that Reader is so useful. I was using my phone to check a site that was very difficult to read on my phone. I accdientally clicked the Reader box and it loaded all of the text in a MUCH more useful format. I'll be using this a lot from now on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom