• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 4S |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuran

Banned
teamaxe said:
The Siri voice is actually the Voice Over voice. Go turn on Accessibility, and you'll get it.

Still hard to be impressed if the voice sounds so bad, it made the presentation look silly for me.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Talladega Knight said:
sweet, i get my $150 discount in 88 days. so i'd be looking at $250 for the 64gb model right?
$150 discount from who? You just mean your upgrade eligibility?

Fully subsidized, these phones are $199, $299, $399. Unless you have a gift card to the Apple Store or Best Buy or something, that's going to be the price you pay.

3N16MA

Banned
iPhone 4/4S still craps on any Android based phone purely from a design point of view. Larger screen (4") would be a nice addition but that is most likely coming next year.

edgefusion

Kuran said:
Do they explain why the voice in Siri is so bad? Couldn't they get it to sound more natural?

I heard a male voice in the BBC demo so I guess they're selectable. Some of the accented voices in Lion sound extremely natural so hopefully they'll be available as options. At the very least I hope my iPhone doesn't have an American accent.

Lionheart

Aske said:
Finally time to buy an iPhone. I'm disappointed by the lack of 5ishness after the huge delay and the exciting mock-ups, but I'm glad I held out for the upgrades, especially the GSM/CDMA capability and camera.

Not that I mind much, but does anyone know why the 4S battery has 100 hours less standby time than the iPhone 4, but 1 hour more talk time over 3G and otherwise identical battery stats? I get that the new hardware probably sucks down more power, and that the battery will have been slightly modified to compensate, but where is the juice going while the phone is on standby?
I noticed the same thing about the standby time. I also noticed how Apple sneakily hid it from their slides and many sites don't report that difference at all, focusing just on the other battery stats.

Perhaps it's iOS 5 that consumes more when idle? More stuff going on in the background by default? Or indeed the hardware or just a different measuring method for standby time? I mean, would an iPhone 4 ever really last 300 hours?

Still though, if measuring method is the same, this is quite a difference and would be sad to see it last even shorter when I feel smartphones don't last long anyway. Quite disappointing...

RubxQub said:
$150 discount from who? You just mean your upgrade eligibility?

Fully subsidized, these phones are $199, $299, $399. Unless you have a gift card to the Apple Store or Best Buy or something, that's going to be the price you pay.
yea my upgrade eligibility. i've never been to knowledgeable about shit like this. i always went with simple :)

Cyport

Most people who got an 18 month contract with the iPhone 4 will soon be up just in time for this, including me.

I'm not sure whether to wait and keep the contract going or upgrade. There will obviously be an iPhone 5 but when? July or October. It's a big pain because the screen on my current phone is messed up so I was hoping to get an iPhone 5, now the upgrade to a 4S feels a little bit underwhelming. Don't get me wrong the features are brilliant but after countless rumours of a bigger screen and slimmer device the upgrades in a 4S don't have as much impact.

It looks like this might actually affect some of the mainstream crowd as a few of my friends who are not big technology fans think the 4S is rubbish. Apple has become a victim of it's own rumours.

RubxQub

Talladega Knight said:
yea my upgrade eligibility. i've never been to knowledgeable about shit like this. i always went with simple :)
I suspect you're going to be looking at the regular subsidized prices: $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB, $399 for 64GB.

These phones unsubsidized probably cost something like $499, $599 and $699 respectively.

Stylo

I've been wanting to replace my horrid Blackerry (RIM -shivers-) with a smartphone. Why should I go with an iPhone instead of a Android phone?

3N16MA

Banned
RubxQub said:
I suspect you're going to be looking at the regular subsidized prices: $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB, $399 for 64GB.

These phones unsubsidized probably cost something like $499, $599 and $699 respectively.

$649, $749, $849 unlocked/no contract in Canada. The last two are not confirmed but it seems that would be the price points.

Game-Biz

If I was Apple, I'd charge $15 - $20 bucks for a choice for the consumer to buy other Siri voices. Maybe more. Maybe $50 for a whole pack of them that you can change at your will.

Futureman said:
If I were in your situation, the only reason I wouldn't upgrade is if you REALLY want a larger screen and you are REALLY sure Apple will actually release an iPhone with a larger screen.

you are seriously still using a 3G? OMMMMMMMMMG.

Yessir, OG 3G-owner, here. Seeing my friends' newer phones with their ginormous screens really puts mine to shame; I was really hoping for the iPhone to upgrade in that regard. And this may be blasphemous, but I kind of hope that Apple changes up the UI for the iPhone 5. For all intents and purposes, the current UI is the same as when the phone was originally released in 2006. Other smartphones have amazing UIs. I wouldn't mind if Apple aped some stuff from the competition.

And I can survive with my 3G for another year. It's so old (in tech time) that it's becoming a sort-of joke of how ancient my phone is. I always set the same reaction from people ("Whaa? You're serious with a 3G?"). That stuff is always good for laughs, so perhaps it'll get even more ridiculous to own a 3G within the next year. I'll represent that shit, yo.

polyh3dron said:
hahahhaa you think that's an upgrade

have fun with your smaller shittier selection of apps and your one size fits all but not all that well OS

it is if openness is what you want. i had all the iphones up to the 4 and switching to android was a damn good choice for me. the SGS2 is the best phone i ever had. love it.

GorillaJu

Time to buy a 4 on YahooAuc. Wonder how low they'll get. Been happy with my 3GS and wanted to upgrade but only if it was a new design. Getting a white 4 on the cheap(ish) seems a happy medium.

teamaxe

Kuran said:
Still hard to be impressed if the voice sounds so bad, it made the presentation look silly for me.

Well, the voice (however it's generated) is already on the phone. There is nothing else they needed to do except enable it to read what Siri is presenting. I'm assuming the BBC voice is the default UK English accent voice.

Change your language on your phone, turn on accessibility, and you'll get the Voice Over voice for that language (Don't do this really, because you might not be able to figure out how to get your English phone back).

As stated before, Alex (IMO) sounds more natural, but is not available on iOS.

I'm thinking of buying because for me it's my first smartphone and I am sure that with IOS5 I am going to be quite impressed with it. I fear it's true they could come with an Iphone 5 in just a year, though, it's what happened to me when I bought my Mac Book Air, they released a twice as fast one in barely half a year :( Do you guys think it's possible this can happen again?

And also, about the memory. Is there no way whatsoever to increase the amount of GBs in the phone? If I buy the 16 GB model I'm stuck with that forever? It's so stupid. Also, do you guys think that with cloud the actual memory of the phone will not be so important? (more streaming and less storaging). Because in that case the 16 GB model it is really tempting me more than the others.

Thanks!

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Is the Siri thing available on all 4S models? Is it available in Canada?

Apple's canadian site doesn't really mention it...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
BLagiver said:
He actually looks like Steve's healthy twin brother. Unless you are a hardcore apple fan you wouldn't even notice its a different guy on stage.
Are you blind?

Popstar

*sigh* The one thing I was hoping for was AWS support so I could look into moving to Wind or Mobilicity.

Damn you T-Mobile! Get your negotiations with Apple in gear so I can benefit from the side-effects here in Canada!

Aske

Cyport said:
It looks like this might actually affect some of the mainstream crowd as a few of my friends who are not big technology fans think the 4S is rubbish. Apple has become a victim of it's own rumours.

Agreed. Keeping their cards so close to their chest really backfired this time. Consumers know they'll get a new iPhone every year - would it have been so crazy to have sent out a press release a few months ago that said the next iPhone will be a 4S with xyz features, and won't be out until October? I know I'd have bought a 4 if I'd known about the delayed release back in January. But I assumed I'd be waiting five months, so I held off. I imagine quite a few people who have been waiting for even less time would have picked up iPhone 4s too - and then we'd have all been much more impressed with the 4S, knowing that it was never going to be a totally redesigned phone. Some of those people who didn't wait for it would have almost certainly upgraded, too. I might have done if I'd bought a 4 ten months ago.

I own an iPhone 3g that's still in pretty good shape, but I will be upgrading to the 4s. It's time. Wife will be getting a 4.

RubxQub

giga said:
Which images weren't cropped correctly?
I'm starting to think that that webpage isn't loading properly if you have a browser that doesn't support the HTML5 animations.

Tobor

Aske said:
Agreed. Keeping their cards so close to their chest really backfired this time. Consumers know they'll get a new iPhone every year - would it have been so crazy to have sent out a press release a few months ago that said the next iPhone will be a 4S with xyz features, and won't be out until October? I know I'd have bought a 4 if I'd known about the delayed release back in January. But I assumed I'd be waiting five months, so I held off. I imagine quite a few people who have been waiting for even less time would have picked up iPhone 4s too - and then we'd have all been much more impressed with the 4S, knowing that it was never going to be a totally redesigned phone. Some of those people who didn't wait for it would have almost certainly upgraded, too. I might have done if I'd bought a 4 ten months ago.
That's called the Osborne effect, and any company with a clue about how to do business should avoid it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You guys don't notice the white areas surrounding the curved edges of the phone?

It's like a bad ms-paint job.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
On a side note.... I can't find if the specs in the touch stayed the same and just got a price drop or if the touch actually got a spec boost...

tino

Banned
I was browsing a Chinese forum earlier today. There was a score of "kidney saved", "kidney black market price gone back up" jokes.

I'm very excited for this for a few reasons.

1. Currently have a Droid X. It's okay but damn, it really craps out on me a lot. I'm getting kind of sick of it.

2. Been wanting an iPhone for years and now that it's finally on Verizon it's time to jump on board.

3. I love the iPhone 4 design and was a bit worried how different an iPhone 5 design might be, so I'm actually kind of glad they kept the design. I just love the feel and "heft" to it as opposed to my Droid, which feels like a toy.

4. I'm not upset about a larger screen. I'm actually sort of looking forward to downgrading from the Droid X size. The screen is almost too big and it's a pain in the ass taking it in and out of my pockets. Small/minor complaint, but still, it'll be nice to have a more "compact" phone instead of this bulky thing.

Bring it on!! I'll be pre-ordering this Friday. White, definitely, but still unsure if I want to do 32/64 gig.

Also, one last question. How do pre-orders for this usually work? Do you pre-order online? At an Apple store? At a Verizon store? If I do it online, can I pick it up at a nearby Apple store on release day?

giga

Trojita said:
You guys don't notice the white areas surrounding the curved edges of the phone?

Which browser are you using?

7Qk6S.png

Has anyone asked the question of what the next iPhone will be called?

Surely it can't be called an iPhone 5 because it won't be the fifth iPhone, it will be the sixth.

1. iPhone
2. iPhone 3G
3. iPhone 3GS
4. iPhone 4
5. iPhone 4S
6. iPhone ?

notworksafe

Trojita said:

You mean the bezel? I'm confused.

DarkChronic said:
Also, one last question. How do pre-orders for this usually work? Do you pre-order online? At an Apple store? At a Verizon store? If I do it online, can I pick it up at a nearby Apple store on release day?
Pre-order at the Apple Store site or on the VZW site...maybe. ATT allowed pre-ordering through an app on the iPhone. Might call up VZW and ask how they will handle it on their end. Be ready early. Last time the going was extra slow if you didn't get a pre-order right away. Pickup will be with whoever you used to preorder (Apple or VZW).

dmann

ashbash159 said:
Has anyone asked the question of what the next iPhone will be called?

Surely it can't be called an iPhone 5 because it won't be the fifth iPhone, it will be the sixth.

1. iPhone
2. iPhone 3G
3. iPhone 3GS
4. iPhone 4
5. iPhone 4S
6. iPhone ?

iPhone 4GS in 2012

iPhone 5 in 2013

I bet this is Apple's plan.

Aske

Fatghost said:
Is the Siri thing available on all 4S models? Is it available in Canada?

Apple's canadian site doesn't really mention it...

You're right. No mention of Siri on Apple.ca at all, which makes it look like a US only feature for North America. But it's mentioned on the UK Apple website, so they managed to sort out international licenses. Very strange. Hope we get some clarification soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom