• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 4S |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

NekoFever

Trojita said:
Firefox 5
Get a better browser?

KLHGP.jpg

bananas

Banned
I was hoping Apple would come out with something that would make me regret switching to a Windows Phone.

They didn't.

Upgrading from a 32gb white 3GS to a white 4S. Not sure if I'll stick with 32gb (which I've filled) or jump to a 64.

Old 3GS is going to be jailbroken & unlocked so that I can use it when I travel abroad.

Foov

ashbash159 said:
Why would they call the seventh iPhone the iPhone 5?

Or are you just joking/being sarcastic. (difficulttotell.gif)

I don't understand why you guys are getting hung up on having to match the numbering in the name of a product with the amount of versions that have been made to that point. Movies and computers and video games and all sorts of companies have been breaking these rules for years and years and years. It doesn't have to be the fifth iphone for the public to accept it being called the iphone 5. Windows 8 is not the 8th Windows, for example.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Mac Rumors seems to think the same thing I feared... aka the touch only got a white version + a price drop with no new hardware.... :(

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Kerrby said:
So this thing is literally the same as the iPhone 4 but has better video recording?
Better CPU, Sirus support, 64GB memory option, better camera features, and both wireless technologies built into one phone.

Kerrby said:
So this thing is literally the same as the iPhone 4 but has better video recording?
beefier CPU, GPU, more storage, better video recording capabilities, world phone, Sprint-accessible, better camera and quality, Siri, longer talk time. and only 3grams heavier.

Or...yes, just better video recording.

bytesized said:
I'm thinking of buying because for me it's my first smartphone and I am sure that with IOS5 I am going to be quite impressed with it. I fear it's true they could come with an Iphone 5 in just a year, though, it's what happened to me when I bought my Mac Book Air, they released a twice as fast one in barely half a year :( Do you guys think it's possible this can happen again?

And also, about the memory. Is there no way whatsoever to increase the amount of GBs in the phone? If I buy the 16 GB model I'm stuck with that forever? It's so stupid. Also, do you guys think that with cloud the actual memory of the phone will not be so important? (more streaming and less storaging). Because in that case the 16 GB model it is really tempting me more than the others.

Thanks!

Quoting myself for the new page, sorry. Just would like an answer on the memory question. Does the iCloud thing make storage space less relevant now? Saving 100 or 200$ is a big deal.

Tobor

bytesized said:
Quoting myself for the new page, sorry. Just would like an answer on the memory question. Does the iCloud thing make storage space less relevant now? Saving 100 or 200$ is a big deal.
Think of iCloud as more of a backup and syncing solution. You still want local storage.

Dreams-Visions said:
But who bullshitted you? Surely not Apple who was generally air-tight about this announcement?

Apple never errs, right?

It's not about being promised the 5, it was the expectation that they would come up with the next big thing which they happen to have a reputation for.

Chinner

Banned
Kerrby said:
i'm not even an apple fan, but you either have no idea what you're talking about or you're doing some mad trolling/

feel

:(

Wanted something that would make my iphone 4 seem like crap, improvements in specs I'm perfectly fine with on mine are not doing it for me. Will probably wait for 5.

Zabka said:
What were people expecting out of an iPhone 5 that this doesn't have? Bigger screen?
We were expecting the unexpected.

ecurbj

TacticalFox88 said:
I feel bullshitted. Give me the damn iPhone 5 and not this upgraded 4 shit.
Apple isn't doing you or anyone a favor. It's business and business says a 4S is $$$ for them, right now.

3N16MA

Banned
Now I can walk down the street with my iPhone 4 and no one will be able to tell if it's a 4/4S. As soon as someone asks to see the Siri app I will say she is sleeping.

Dreams-Visions said:
beefier CPU, GPU, more storage, better video recording capabilities, world phone, Sprint-accessible, better camera and quality, Siri, longer talk time. and only 3grams heavier.

Serious question here. Is there really anything other than maybe games that this is needed for at the moment or even anytime soon? Are there apps on the iPhone 4 that feel sluggish on the 3GS?

Chinner

Banned
4G won't happen until every service provider has it. otherwise they'd be making a tier system and basically shitting on one set of customers.

3N16MA

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Serious question here. Is there really anything other than maybe games that this is needed for at the moment or even anytime soon? Are there apps on the iPhone 4 that feel sluggish on the 3GS?

Supposedly Siri needs it.

Husker86

Zabka said:
What were people expecting out of an iPhone 5 that this doesn't have? Bigger screen?

That's the case for me, not sure about anyone else. I also found the iPhone 4 uncomfortable to hold (though good to look at).

bananas

Banned
Marty Chinn said:

When I had my 3GS until just a few months ago, it was perfectly fine and I never felt like it couldn't handle anything the iPhone 4 couldn't do.

I think the same will be the same with the 4S and 4. The 3GS might start to show it's age a bit down the line, but maybe not.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So basically, all it takes to satisfy the masses is just a new hardware design.

The spec bump on this the 4S is massive, but Siri, if it works well in its new incarnation, is what I think defines it most. :crossing fingers:
Can't wait to finally jump back to iOS.

Marty Chinn said:

This is probably why I'm underwhelmed with the 4S. With such an optimized OS that doesn't chug in any app with 1 core, what does the extra core do? Besides games (which I don't really use) what we're going to be seeing is possibly 0.1s faster app opening and not much else.

Battery life was only marginally improved, so there isn't an efficiency factor in either.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Why is Siri only on the 4S?

Is there a hardware reason, surely it can't be that resource taxing that it needs the A5?

bananas

Banned
dallow_bg said:

The spec bump on this the 4S is massive.

I was hoping for a bigger screen. If it had that with the same casing, that would've been great in my opinion.

A 3.5 inch screen is just too small.

narcosis219 said:
Apple never errs, right?

It's not about being promised the 5, it was the expectation that they would come up with the next big thing which they happen to have a reputation for.
do you remember when they went from 3G to 3GS?

or were you not on internets then? they've improved the iPhone in every way including DOUBLING the bandwidth potential to 14mbps+. AND now that they have just 1 phone with all the cell network chips inside, they can reduce overhead/costs in the process.

people should already know damn well that Apple won't add real 4G and similar features until they can do it without compromising their battery life. stuff like NFC is barely on the market at this point. bigger screen will still probably come with the next major phone release.

Apple sometimes errs, but this isn't one of those times. Not their fault the blog hype train takes some of you to extraordinary heights only to be let down when the reality is excellent but not the long list of things you wanted instead.

bananas said:
nope. but bigger is nice.

bananas said:
I was hoping for a bigger screen. If it had that with the same casing, that would've been great in my opinion.

But I tend to believe that any bigger than that and you're reaching into "Too big to be comfortable for everyday usage" territory.

Is it worth going from a 3GS to the 4S? All I wanted was a bigger screen... didn't care about the resolution as much as having a larger screen.

That's all I wanted!

bananas said:
When I had my 3GS until just a few months ago, it was perfectly fine and I never felt like it couldn't handle anything the iPhone 4 couldn't do.

I think the same will be the same with the 4S and 4. The 3GS might start to show it's age a bit down the line, but maybe not.

This is why I don't get why some people are jizzing over this. A new faster CPU gets announced and they get excited at performance numbers but not what it means in every day life. Siri is probably the best answer for this spec bump.

dallow_bg said:

The spec bump on this the 4S is massive, but Siri, if it works well in its new incarnation, is what I think defines it most. :crossing fingers:

The problem is, it's a by the numbers expected update that anyone could have predicted 6 months ago. Nothing about it is surprising. It's a nice update, but the CPU bump doesn't really mean much to me right now compared to say the new enhancements to the camera.

BlackGoku03 said:
Is it worth going from a 3GS to the 4S? All I wanted was a bigger screen... didn't care about the resolution as much as having a larger screen.

That's all I wanted!

I'd say so. Going from a 3GS to a 4S is going to be a pretty big bump in what you get. I see no reason not to unless you have no qualms with waiting for the iPhone 5 a year later. Keep form factor in mind too. I think the 4 and 4S are beautiful in design and I kinda fear that going towards the rumored tear drop design is going to make the phone look worse, not better.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Big Baybee said:
Seriously though, this seems like a significant upgrade from the 4.
It is. Just like the 3GS was a significant upgrade from the 3G and everyone gave similar reactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom