• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 4S |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

well, gotta hand it to Apple. Why release an iPhone 5 when people will spend fucking tons of money on an iPhone 4 1/2.

Upgrading from my 3GS to the 4S. I'll be out of the country when pre-orders go up on Friday. Bit disappointed at that, but since everyone is so disappointed that it doesn't have a "5" behind the name, I might not have too many issues picking one up.

notworksafe

qcf x2 said:
Me neither. Not even if it was like $50. :-\
Sheeeeeit. Having used the old Siri app, I'd upgrade in 0.01 seconds for Siri with iOS integration. Unfortunately it'll be $450, not $50. So I'll wait.

Gila

I'm gonna wait till the next one as well, nothing specially upgraded for regular consumers.

But iOS 5...I'm waiting!

Aguirre

notworksafe said:
iphone-4s-numbers-5.jpg
well, it's certainly an improvement, i suppose

3N16MA

Banned
3GS did fine even though it looked exactly like the 3G. I think this confirms Apple is going two cycles with it's iPhone design and then major change.

RevDM

Banned
I feel like there are iphone customers on two tracks.

My first iphone was 3G, skipped the 3GS and then got the 4

Others had the OG, 3GS, now getting 4S

If you ask me, I'd rather be on my cycle that gets the non S product line.

notworksafe

Patriotsbball5460 said:
I own one of these, and love it. Disappoint how?
Just saying it was more disappointing than the iPhone. Wasn't that from the conference that everyone expected the Beatles iPod? Can't remember now...

notworksafe

RevDM said:
http://1876.voxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/iphone-4s-numbers-5.jpg[IMG]

This one? Do you mind circling the part I need to read, my eyes are too lazy.

FFS.[/QUOTE]
The part that says "Siri intelligent assistant / voice-to-text support" ;)

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
JWong said:
8mp? Finally caught up to standards... for a few months.
This assumes that the 8MP camera in the iPhone is the same quality as the ones in other phones.

I'd bet that side by side pictures comparisons on all the phones on the market now and the iPhone 4S will not even be close.

Game-Biz

dskillzhtown said:
Siri was that compelling to you?
It's pretty cool, not worth the price alone. Really, though I just wanted to use that pun ;P

A5 is the only thing that's compelling me though at the moment...

UrokeJoe

RevDM said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

royalan

Damnit, I JUST used my Sprint upgrade (and by "just" I mean 2 months ago putting me firmly outside of the 30 return limit)...;_;

3N16MA

Banned
RevDM said:

I'm on the:

iPhone 2G
iPhone 4
?

track.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Dumb question but my girlfriend wants one and I have $150 in best buy gift cards. Can I pre-order on Friday at Best Buy and expect to get one around the 14th?

Scotch

RevDM said:

Yes, I'm on the other cycle. The 3GS was great, the increase in speed was VERY significant and makes it still very usuable today whereas the 3G is slow as a turd on iOS4.

With the 4S however I don't think the speed increase will be that noticable in normal non-gaming use. I like the camera, but not enough to upgrade.

Wellington said:
Dumb question but my girlfriend wants one and I have $150 in best buy gift cards. Can I pre-order on Friday at Best Buy and expect to get one around the 14th?

I don't see why not.

I think Best Buy was a mess with the iPhone 4, but that might have been because of the white model delays. I don't remember.

bionic77

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Upgrading from my 3GS to the 4S. I'll be out of the country when pre-orders go up on Friday. Bit disappointed at that, but since everyone is so disappointed that it doesn't have a "5" behind the name, I might not have too many issues picking one up.
:lol

Good luck with that.

The phone is going to sell better than ever since they are expanding to more carriers. It is actually a good upgrade, but 90% of the people don't know anything about specs or screen resolution and are going to buy it on the name and the fact that they tried their friends phone and liked it enough to want the same thing. The fact that you don't need to sync with a computer and that there are affordable models is going to wonders overseas in developing markets.

Most of the people who were disappointed with the new phone are either Apple haters or tech enthusiasts* who make up a very small percentage of the market.

* Count me in for that group because I was expecting another iPhone4 sized leap.

RubxQub

I'm on the "upgrade every year, regardless" track. Have been eligible every year without fail so it's easy.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The Siri app and service is officially dead now. App removed from the app store. So 4s will be the only way to use the tech now.

Yeah i tried to defend apple for the 4s only siri implementation but... http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/04/original-siri-service-is-dead-long-live-apple-siri/#aol-comments

People have been using this app for a while now on other phones. If I had an iphone and had been using this app I would be mad too. Its pretty jacked up that they did not bring it to all the phones that supported the functionality before.

I am still most likely getting an iphone 4s because I have been waiting for one on sprint for a long time but this is still pretty shady.

Number45

I know it's not new, but that's the first time I've really looked at the white 4 (white 3GS owner here) - it's really pretty.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
SalsaShark said:
well, gotta hand it to Apple. Why release an iPhone 5 when people will spend fucking tons of money on an iPhone 4 1/2.

Because the 4 is still a fantastic phone that will get even better with iOS 5? And because millions of people still have shitty Razrs or smartphones from years ago?

It's like people are disappointed that that they don't have to spend another $200+ every year. My 4 is just fine until the 5 comes out next year but I understand that this will be a huge upgrade for a large group of people.

RubxQub

I'm still using Siri on my iPhone 4 now!

Nori Chan

UrokeJoe said:
Not bad, kind of tempting, but I can wait for iPhone 5.
This is basically what I've been thinking the whole day.

I'll just troll people and say it's the 4S cause it looks exactly the same at a quick glance.

Game-Biz said:
Not sure if Siri-us.
BOOOOOOOO THIS MAN

No but I've had Siri on my phone for over a couple of months, it's cool, but not OMFG IMA UPGRADE MY IPHONE 4 TO A 4S

1080p 30fps video sounds good, hope the picture quality is great too. Damn, who needs an SLR? :p

I do hope the iPhone's camera can approach SLR quality in the future as I just sold my SLR a while back.

bionic77

Dupy said:
Because the 4 is still a fantastic phone that will get even better with iOS 5? And because millions of people still have shitty Razrs or smartphones from years ago?

It's like people are disappointed that that they don't have to spend another $200+ every year. My 4 is just fine until the 5 comes out next year but I understand that this will be a huge upgrade for a large group of people.
It is understandable that people are going to be disappointed with almost any upgrade after the iPhone4.

If you got that thing on release it was amazing to see the speed, battery life and retina display in the same package. I don't think I will ever that big of an upgrade (3G to 4) again for a smartphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom