• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone Game Edge pulled because of "edge" obssessed bastard.

Sqorgar

Banned
GregLombardi said:
I haven't had time to read the entire thread, but why are the software developers unable to simply rename their game?
I've been wondering this too. I mean, Edge might lose some visibility with a name change, but surely that has to be a better solution than not being available at all? Edge isn't even really that good a name.

ibu

Burger said:
I'd sooner fuck Tim Langdell's dog than give him a cent.

I wonder if I can make an iPhone app called "Tim Langdell is a cunt" and get it on the app store ? Basically the app would be a photo of Langdell, with the word CUNT flashing in red above his stupid greedy face.

I will buy it.

Sqorgar said:
I've been wondering this too. I mean, Edge might lose some visibility with a name change, but surely that has to be a better solution than not being available at all? Edge isn't even really that good a name.

Langdell is stating the game concept is plagiarising one of his games.

Gattsu25

Banned
SovanJedi said:
The word "c*nt" isn't banned on this site is it? It's about the only word I can think of to describe these pathetically spineless people.

How the fuck do these people sleep at night?
How the cunt would I know?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Langdell is stating the game concept is plagiarising one of his games.

courts simply need gaming experts to stop this nonsense dead in its track

"is bobby bearing similar enough to edge to suggest Edge plagiarised the core of the game from it?"

"No, your honour"

fin.

Culex

Banned
WhiteAce said:
courts simply need gaming experts to stop this nonsense dead in its track

"is bobby bearing similar enough to edge to suggest Edge plagiarised the core of the game from it?"

"No, your honour"

fin.

I wish it were that easy, but you can file continuances, and delays for YEARS, costing OODLES of money, which is why most people just gave in and pay up first, and why people such as this bastard can get away with this behavior for decades.

DCharlie

I wish it were that easy, but you can file continuances, and delays for YEARS, costing OODLES of money, which is why most people just gave in and pay up first, and why people such as this bastard can get away with this behavior for decades.

then we simply need to tighten up frivolous bullcrap like this.

I think "Mirrors (a game by) Edge" was blatant enough for anyone to see that this guy is a paraiah.

haowan said:
He actually lost the Soul Egde case outright, but they changed it anyway before the end of the trial or something.

One of the other IGDA board members Tom Buscaglia, who is a lawyer, is also backing him up. Tom prides himself on helping out indie developers (refers to himself as "The Game Attorney"), but now he's turned around and helping this fuck.

IGDA is predictably doing fuck all about it - they should remove Tim from the board immediately and start fact checking their board member statements when the elections happen.

I know that everyone I've talked to who is a member is now not renewing their membership.

Additionally, a lot of what Tim has said on his various web sites are outright lies. And now he's attempting to sue EA over Mirror's Edge by pretending to make a game called "Mirrors (a game by) Edge". What a slimeball. I hope he gets run over.

Oh yea and Mobigame's Edge is great, whenever it comes back, whatever it's called - get it.

If he's making that Mirrors a game by Edge now, can't Mirror's Edge fight back pretty easily? They had the name Mirror's Edge trademarked first, no?

Also, this guy is a douchebag. The "Mirrors a game by Edge" is a dirty move.

DCharlie

maybe he just likes giving unwanted attention to people ? the restraining order seems to possibly suggest that

bard

GregLombardi said:
I haven't had time to read the entire thread, but why are the software developers unable to simply rename their game?
It wasn't that simple, not in this case, anyway. Langdell's terms gave Mobigame two choices: change the name and pay 25% revenue the game made since its launch, or add a subtitle "An Homage to Bobby Bearing" (which is BS) and pay 10% of all past and future revenue.

FoxSpirit

As of right now, Mobigames has enlisted legal help to settle the Edge dispute. The conclusion of the suit could have vast implications for Edge Games, as Mobigames is seeking to have Edge Games abandon its monopoly over the Edge trademark in North America. Edge Games has reportedly told Mobigames it has abandoned its application for the Edgy trademark and would hand it over to Mobigames at no cost.

What, getting cold feet?

edit: Just been to their website, is it only me or has it somewhat upgraded to better show their "active business" in gaming?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
FoxSpirit said:
What, getting cold feet?
I don't think anything changed, just read their website. They always seemed to want to give them a license to use the name Edgy. Basically, Langdell wanted to register the name Edgy in US, and then license it to Mobygames for free. Why that course of action? Who knows. But I think the whole story behind is that he wanted the game to keep selling and then get percentage from each copy sold - in exchange for giving the licensed name for free.

Lord Error said:
I don't think anything changed, just read their website. They always seemed to want to give them a license to use the name Edgy. Basically, Langdell wanted to register the name Edgy in US, and then license it to Mobygames for free. Why that course of action? Who knows. But I think the whole story behind is that he wanted the game to keep selling and then get percentage from each copy sold - in exchange for giving the licensed name for free.

which is exactly why he IS trolling.

this is the first time i will use this phrase on the internets: Tim- die in a fire.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I love how he continues to get away with using Edge magazine logo for his company, for an immediate association with a respected magazine with high integrity

Mar

Edge-And-The-Forever-Deepening-Trademark-Rabbit-Hole.jpg

This is just the lamest thing I've seen in my life. I wish EA would obliterate this dude out of existence.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I hereby decide to not believe anything anymore that's posted on some internet site about these things.

Parham

Banned
"EA have since been slow to close that deal, and while we are still in good faith about closing it, we trust EA are not working with Mobigame and others to seek to undermine our rights in EDGE in the misguided hope that by taking such action they can avoid concluding the deal with us that they negotiated in principal last November."

Talk about paranoia. :lol

mrkgoo

As to what the "MIRRORS (by) EDGE" was about: EA wrote us saying that in their opinion our game Mirrors would never been confused with their game Mirror's Edge even if we promoted it using our house brand EDGE. From the moment we started promoting it using our house brand EDGE we have been flooded with people linking MIRRORS by EDGE with EA's game Mirror's Edge, thus proving EA wrong. Their use of Mirror's Edge is likely to cause confusion in the consumers mind with our use of our marks Mirrors and Edge, and while it can tend to be reverse confusion (since they have marketed Mirror's Edge so well and our game has yet to be launched) their use is still an infringement of our registered rights, proved in part by all the recent public discussion of our legitmate use of MIRRORS by EDGE to promote our upcoming game.

Lol.

EA says that Mirror's Edge would never be confused with Mirror's (a game by) EDGE. Then EDGE claim that people linked to their logo, that that's proof that confusion had set in.

Um, What? They made the logo deliberately similar and confusing.

Burger

eXxy said:
Just check out http://www.edgegames.com/ :)

Scope the news section.

I love how it's obviously Tim Langdell writing the whole thing, but tries to make it seem as if Edge Games is a huge corporation.

No PR department would ever write anything so self aggrandising and arrogant.

"Since you have sought to turn the dispute between our two companies into a personal attack on Dr. Langdell, he will no longer be the person communicating with you on this matter on behalf of Edge"

:lol Yeah right Tim.

LCfiner

Mar_ said:
Edge-And-The-Forever-Deepening-Trademark-Rabbit-Hole.jpg

This is just the lamest thing I've seen in my life. I wish EA would obliterate this dude out of existence.

um...

Didn't EDGE games just completely ripoff the EDGE logo used by EDGE magazine online?

logo.png

Can't Edge (the mag) ask this Edge gaming douchebag company to come up with their own fucking logo?

Or is the blatant logo theft just bait to start up that very situation?

mrkgoo

LCfiner said:
um...

Didn't EDGE games just completely ripoff the EDGE logo used by EDGE magazine online?

logo.png

Can't Edge (the mag) ask this Edge gaming douchebag company to come up with their own fucking logo?

Or is the blatant logo theft just bait to start up that very situation?

Either: 1) they are trying to create confusion, so that they can use that very confusion as evidence that people mix up the trademarks (as in the case with EA); or 2) that was part of the 'settlement' that they came up with the magazine (that they could use the logo).

Shambles

Witchfinder General said:

And i started to scroll down and think I might be the first to get to this. How the hell do you trademark a word as generic as edge? The american patent/trademark/copyright/whatever system needs to burn in hell.

panda21

i guess that he came to some kind of agreement with the magazine, since there is a page on his website where he tries to make it sound like he practically founded/is in charge of EDGE magazine, just like he does with other stuff he has licensed the word 'edge' to. i guess they just gave in and licensed the name from him a while ago.

they recently seem to be getting legaled up about it though so they might fight back hopefully.

Shambles said:
And i started to scroll down and think I might be the first to get to this. How the hell do you trademark a word as generic as edge? The american patent/trademark/copyright/whatever system needs to burn in hell.
Monster. Monster Cables did the exact same thing several times.

mrkgoo

Shambles said:

I think it's ok to trademark a generic word - but not ok to be able to use it against other names when it's clearly not a violation in common sense.

If you weren't allowed a trademark, then you'll have other companies making a game and selling it with the intent of living up to the brand name of the top seller. Like Apple, for example.

Shambles said:

It's not a general trademark, just as far as it's use in video games is concerned. Same logic behind Apple being allowed to use Apple as long as it didn't get into music.

I don't know if this has been linked earlier in the thread, but here's an excellent little primer to the whole situation. Apparently the writer was threatened lawsuit by Langdell after the article was published.

DCharlie

EA says that Mirror's Edge would never be confused with Mirror's (a game by) EDGE. Then EDGE claim that people linked to their logo, that that's proof that confusion had set in.

is this another flood of communication along with the other flood of communication about how "HEY I SEE YOU GUYS DID A GAME CALLED EDGE ON THE IPHONE? THATS YOU GUYS RIGHT?!"

:/

What a fucking oxygen thief.

DCharlie

This type of sociapathic behavior can only be quelled by complaining on a message board.

yes, we'd get more achieved if no one ever complains about anything ever again.

I'd complain about complainers but... um... :/

CryptiK

Well EA should team with the creators of the movie Mirrors let him Sue EA then let the Creators Counter sue of the use of Mirrors beat him at his own game

if only it was that simple :(

Mar

Peronthious said:
It's not a general trademark, just as far as it's use in video games is concerned. Same logic behind Apple being allowed to use Apple as long as it didn't get into music.

I don't know if this has been linked earlier in the thread, but here's an excellent little primer to the whole situation. Apparently the writer was threatened lawsuit by Langdell after the article was published.

I had read that article before, but now it seems the comments have exploded to nearly 300 pages.

There's a Facebook group to join too if you're that way inclined (I joined).

NichM

Banned
[...]we trust EA are not working with Mobigame and others to seek to undermine our rights in EDGE in the misguided hope that by taking such action they can avoid concluding the deal with us that they negotiated in principal last November.

But if they are, I know just the prosecuting attorney for the job.

edgeworth.jpg

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Monster. Monster Cables did the exact same thing several times.

Monster and Apple have built brands around their name, allowing for the generality of their names to hold steam. EDGE is a shitty company who has done jack shit in the last 15 years of their existence, and is headed by a troll who thinks his games are worth someone even looking at. No one has heard of them, or even cares about their new shitty games coming out. I suspect they are just smoke and mirrors to squeeze money out of big publishers so Tim can feed the egotistical huge head of his.

ShinNL

eXxy said:
Just check out http://www.edgegames.com/ :)

Scope the news section.
Open Letter To Mobigame:

Dear David,

Now that Apple Inc. has reached its independant conclusion to remove your game bearing the name "Edge" from the US, UK and German iTunes stores due to our registered trademark rights in EDGE and THE EDGE, insofar as there is any dispute left between our two companies we publicly invite you to resolve that dispute solely through the usual channels of the trademark registries or the courts. We condem your decision to sink so low as to attack the CEO of our company, Dr. Tim Langdell, personally, and to attack the IGDA, and ask that you cease this smear campaign based on falsehoods and deliberate misrepresentation of historic events, and cease encouraging others to do the same, before further harm is caused to the IGDA. Please be assured, no matter how much you embarass this company or its CEO in public, we cannot and will not give in to your unreasonable demands that we give up all rights in the trademark EDGE and effectively hand such rights over to you -- which is what you have asked of us at all times since late May and repeated in your most recent letter to us via the London solicitors, Sheridans. Indeed, as you know, we cannot give in to your demands since to do so would put us in breach of several license and other trading agreements we have that compel us to protect the EDGE and THE EDGE trademarks. Your refusal to change the name of your game, even to EDGY which we gave our blessing for you to do over two months ago, and your continued insistance you must be permitted to call the game "Edge" regardless of our more than 25 years of common law rights and well over a decade of current, valid, registered rights, is unreasonable.

PUBLIC STATEMENT

The following documents show:

* Edge never demanded money from Mobigame
* Mobigame proposed Edge give it money to use the mark "Edge"
* Edge has never acted as "trademark trolls"
* Edge acted well in the "EDGY" matter
* Mobigame has only pretended to want to change the name of its game
* Mobigame has persistently demanded Edge give up its rights to the mark "Edge"
* Mobigame has lied so as to defame Edge and its CEO Tim Langdell
* Mobigame deliberately selected EDGE as the name of its game in 2008
* How many games we have produced in the past 5 years
* Insight into the "Mirrors (by) Edge" matter
* Details of our game credits system
* "Edge of Twilight"
* False accusations against Edge
"we publicly invite you to resolve that dispute solely through the usual channels of the trademark registries or the courts"
I hope Mobigames isn't going to fall into that trap and let that bastard do whatever he wants in the 'safe zone'. Let's not let this fall into a black pit and forget about it. This asshole must be taken down. The only way to do so is to make everything public. After some digging some people found more people talking about having negative experiences with Tim the scumbag. Imagine how much more info there could have been if everyone reported/wrote it somewhere.

"Edge never demanded money from Mobigame"
License fees = money, asshole.

"Mobigame proposed Edge give it money to use the mark "Edge"
What the hell does this mean?

"Edge has never acted as "trademark trolls"
Registering Edgy after a suggestion by Mobigames isn't?!!!

"Edge acted well in the "EDGY" matter"
Die! (see above)

"Mobigame has only pretended to want to change the name of its game"
It's more like you (Tim) pretended that changing names will get them out of your web. You want money.

"Mobigame has persistently demanded Edge give up its rights to the mark "Edge"
With all the illegal things you (Tim) have done, you shouldn't deserve any rights.

"Mobigame has lied so as to defame Edge and its CEO Tim Langdell"
Exposing the truth to hurt you (Tim, with your 1-man company "Edge") isn't called lying. You are the one lying.

"Mobigame deliberately selected EDGE as the name of its game in 2008"
It's a good name for a good game. It's a common word. It's in no way a reference to anything you've made. What's the point here? Misleading sentence. Because it sure wasn't a deliberately selected name in reference to the game "Edge" 'created by you' somewhere in the whatever past.

"How many games we have produced in the past 5 years"
None. You also f'n rip off developers you hired. Not paying developers that have worked over 6 months? Omg, bastard, you shall not be forgiven.

"Insight into the "Mirrors (by) Edge" matter"

Even with insight it's as ridiculous as anyone sees it. The whole point is that you're not making any Mirrors and no one knows your shitty 'company' Edge.

"Details of our game credits system"
Don't care.

"Edge of Twilight"
Asshole.

"False accusations against Edge"
False my ass. So far I've read only facts about your activities (don't freaking hide behind a company name when everyone knows it's you, Tim) and you're a no-life scumbag. Get the hell out of the gaming (or any) industry. You damn leech.

By the way, are there any gaming journalists reporting on this? This is a really good time to see what websites/magazines are for real gamers and what not. If any journalist was really a gamer then he/she would care about developers (especially indie, because they often have to start alone with losses, having multiple talents to produce different parts of the product) and would investigate this. If GAF is really the only forum that covers this issue then I guess that would explain why I only read my gaming news here and nowhere else.

EDIT: Ohhh, interesting:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-edge-of-reason?page=4
But, if you had no intention of asking for licence fee to be paid to you for the use of EDGY, I ask, then why trademark the name the day after Mobigames first proposed the name change? "In hindsight it was a misunderstanding, probably in part caused by David Papazian's less than perfect English," he explains. "But at the point we were discussing the EDGY settlement in May we understood Mobigame was in agreement Edge would technically hold the EDGY registration and Mobigame would license it from us for free. This way Edge could use its legal team to protect Mobigame should anyone ever challenge Mobigame's use of EDGY".

This version of events is certainly not born out by the original emails. But besides that, why would The Edge want to protect an unrelated company for no recompense? Out of the goodness of their hearts? That seems unlikely, especially coming from a company run with Langdell's cutthroat business savvy.

(UPDATE, 08/08/2009: As of July 2009, Edge Corp. has abandoned its application for the EDGY trademark and claims it would be happy for Mobigame to rename its game in the manner originally suggested.)
It seems this whole mobigames case is going to ruin the 'company', the way it's going. But I hope it's not too late (to still take this person down :O).

jay

You guys really need to learn your place and show some respect to your elders. Tim Langdell is the man behind Classix 1, Monsters, Racers and Classix 1 (Ger).

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Again, at this point it's apparent that Langdell has not an ounce of humility and continues to warp reality to fit his goals. Whether it's psychosis or self-interest no man can say, but it's clear that no rational debate or meaningful dialogue will arise from this. Despite a public record of needless IP protection and the insistence that he has oh-so-graciously lent out the word "Edge" to games, computer companies, magazines, and, yes, even a 1997 movie starring Alec Baldwin and Anthony Hopkins, he has decided to play the pity card and insist he is truly "more indie" because many of the 756 games (partial list!) he credits himself with are released on platforms that have smaller market share than the iPhone. Boo fucking hoo.

His "public statement" consists tearing down of a series of strawman arguments and dodging serious questions posed against the conflict of interests of a man who sues game companies and a boardmember of the IDGA as well as the nature of his IP enforcement. Unless he can present objective quantitative proof that Mobigame are really the bad guys here, this is a waste of everyone's time.

Look at it this way. Here's what we know about Langdell: There are developers who have publicly spoken out about their experience in working with Langell and their difficulty in getting paid, there are the very obvious attempts to lay claim to the word "Edge" across all media, and there's the inherent conflict of interest present in being a guy who likes to litigate game companies and being a lead figure in the IGDA, he has had restraining orders put up against him by young actresses, and he clearly has some delusions of grandure if he honestly believes Mobigame's Edge is clearly inspired by Bobby Bearing or that he can seriously put his name on 700+ game titles on his own website.

Here's what we've learned about Mobigame: They put up a game on the iTunes app store only to have it taken down when they found out they didn't get to the name first.

Who, exactly, are we to believe here? David Papazian could well be a complete twat, but we have no serious knowledge of that. Langdell's cockfuckery, however, is a matter of public record.

Iknos

This might complicate the development of my XNA game "The Edge Masters of the Game: The Wacky Misadventures of Timothy Langdweller".

Top Bottom