• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a 3GS but I hate the headphones. Do you guys have any recommendations for a better pair that still have the mic and remote? Preferably in ear models, thanks in advance.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
VenusandBacchus said:
I just got a 3GS but I hate the headphones. Do you guys have any recommendations for a better pair that still have the mic and remote? Preferably in ear models, thanks in advance.
Ever try the Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote?

I can't tell if that's what you mean or if you're talking about the stock phones.

Vyer

Hero said:
Can anyone help me, I have a weird problem. A couple of my applications it seems have been corrupted, their icons are the icons from other applications. Like my AIM app's icon is the icon for Oregon Trail. Ironically, my Facebook's application icon is the icon from Fandango, which is another F. I've tried deleting and reinstalling the apps but the problem remains.
This is a 3.0 bug. Waiting on patch. Afaik, the only solution currently is to clear them out and install then from iTunes on your computer.

RubxQub said:
Ever try the Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote?

I can't tell if that's what you mean or if you're talking about the stock phones.

I'm talking about the headphones the iphone came with. I haven't tried the Apple in ear headphones I want to know if those are the best option or are there any other brands that people use and prefer.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
VenusandBacchus said:
I'm talking about the headphones the iphone came with. I haven't tried the Apple in ear headphones I want to know if those are the best option or are there any other brands that people use and prefer.
I've used V-Moda VibeII's before and they were good, but the cables would tangle so severly and it didn't come with any kind of carrying case that was worth talking about.

Sound quality was good and the remote worked just fine.

I've recently switched to the Apple In-Ear Headphones w/Mic/Remote and I couldn't be happier.

- Visually more pleasing
- Actual carrying case that protects the phones and organizes the cable
- Good sound quality
- Fully functional volume controls and mic/remote with the 3GS

Would highly recommend them, and I picked them up at the recommendation of other GAFers in the first place, so they should be a safe bet.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
dallow_bg said:
Anyone know of a radio app with NPR?

EDIT: Hmm, found 1, Public Radio Player 2.0.
I'll give it a go.

I love this app. They've improved it SO MUCH from the original version. Not only do you have the live streams and the ability to tag favorite stations, but they now have program guides and the ability to pull up programs on demand. EASILY one of my most used apps. I certainly would've paid for it, can't believe it's free.

RubxQub said:
I've used V-Moda VibeII's before and they were good, but the cables would tangle so severly and it didn't come with any kind of carrying case that was worth talking about.

Sound quality was good and the remote worked just fine.

I've recently switched to the Apple In-Ear Headphones w/Mic/Remote and I couldn't be happier.

- Visually more pleasing
- Actual carrying case that protects the phones and organizes the cable
- Good sound quality
- Fully functional volume controls and mic/remote with the 3GS

Would highly recommend them, and I picked them up at the recommendation of other GAFers in the first place, so they should be a safe bet.

Thanks for the advice I think I will get the Apple ones.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Technosteve said:
jail breaking your iphone is against your at&t contract and apple TOS if you read it before you signed it you would know.
Jailbreaking and unlocking are expressly legal in the United States, thanks to a specific exemption to the DMCA granted by the Librarian of Congress in 2006. And considering the poster is on a 2G, he may not be under contract anymore.

I had MMS working perfectly fine on my 2G with the Cydia download. Not sure why it would work on mine and not on yours. It was with T-Mobile, too. I'm on a 3GS now, though.

VenusandBacchus said:
Someone please answer this with something other than the Apple In Ear. I would get the Apple ones but they only come in white, which I do not want. Therefore, I'm hoping there's a comparable option out there.

LCfiner

Bboy AJ said:
Someone please answer this with something other than the Apple In Ear. I would get the Apple ones but they only come in white, which I do not want. Therefore, I'm hoping there's a comparable option out there.

Nuforce NE-7M have gotten good reviews.

also UE super.fi 4vi

moving up in price there's the UE super.fi 5vi

all have the mic and clicker but do not have volume control

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
LCfiner said:
Nuforce NE-7M have gotten good reviews.

also UE super.fi 4vi

moving up in price there's the UE super.fi 5vi

all have the mic and clicker but do not have volume control
I'd prefer one with the volume control. I have a pair (the name escapes me right now) for my 2G that has the clicker and a mic. It worked great and sounded good, too. But I plug them into my 3GS and the clicker and mic do not work. The sound does, though. Still works just fine in my 2G.

I'm not sure why.

edit: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2058366&tstart=0

Seems like I'm not the only one. Therefore, I'd need a headset designed specifically with the volume control to be sure.

LCfiner

Bboy AJ said:
I'd prefer one with the volume control. I have a pair (the name escapes me right now) for my 2G that has the clicker and a mic. It worked great and sounded good, too. But I plug them into my 3GS and the clicker and mic do not work. The sound does, though. Still works just fine in my 2G.

I'm not sure why.

if you want volume control, these are the only 3rd party pair i have heard of so far. coming in august

Klipsch Image S4i

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/klipsch-intros-image-s4i-in-ear-headset/

you'll have more choices in the fall. right now it's pretty barren.

Cyport

jonnybryce said:
When it came back, did your favorites list reappear as well?

If I lost my list I'm going to have forgotten about a lot of cool games :/

Well I don't even have one, I only downloaded it a week ago! So can't help you there

Cyport said:
Well I don't even have one, I only downloaded it a week ago! So can't help you there

That's my main reason I use it, to list games I want to buy eventually.

Anyway, I let it be and it's working again. My favorites reappeared to, so all is well.

Carlisle

Schmitty07 said:
Is there anyway to get the dust that is stuck under the screen out?
Take it to a Genius Bar and they'll replace the screen for you. I did this last month. Easy as pie. Although once I got home, iTunes could no longer see my iPhone when I plugged it in, so I took it back again and they replaced the whole thing for free since I'd only had it for 9 months.

I don't know if there's a way to do it yourself, but if it's under warranty don't try something that'll break the warranty.

Phoenix said:
ActivateMMS2G does not work for everyone - in fact it a source of a number of bricks of iPhones. Yes there is facility to turn on MMS, and yes there is most assuredly a reason why Apple didn't turn it on. Apple gets a cut of royalties on your plan so they most definitely would have wanted you to be able to use that feature so they could make more money. The problem IS in the hardware and its negotiation with the various networks. To make it work - the carrier has to allow it. MMS == SMS + WAP + special protocol (implemented in hardware many times) + URL magic

I always find consumer opinion fascinating. You would rather assume that Apple has a malicious plot to not enable MMS on the older phones yet they are a company whose device value is measured in utility. Apple has so many supplemental revenue streams from the iPhone that the assertion simply doesn't make sense. If they wanted to derive money from that function they'd simply charge for it. I've heard similar allegations about the video in the iPhone 3G, when its clear that the older phone's camera simply isn't up to the task and takes quite shitty video.

The real question you should ask yourself is why the carrier didn't provide a gateway for MMS that was either compatible with the older iPhones or provide an MMS application that could proxy the MMS data to a gateway at the carrier that would then translate that into a valid MMS message. The fact that sending pictures works over EDGE is in fact irrelevant since that is not the mechanism that MMS uses to deliver data.
Why then does it work for some but not others? It was working for me for a little while then bricked.

Really, I just can't wait until I get my hands on a 3G. I think most, if not all my problems would be solved. I should have spent the extra cash and bought a 3G. I spent $380 on my current one.

Technosteve said:
jail breaking your iphone is against your at&t contract and apple TOS if you read it before you signed it you would know.
Don't have AT&T. I have T-Mobile.

Blackhead

Redarse
Google Latitude. Now for iPhone.
To try Google Latitude, type google.com/latitude into your iPhone's browser...

iw5f9j.png

2wnbdhu.png

...For now, it's available in the US, UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, and we hope to bring it to more countries soon.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm trying it out right now. It crashed the first time, but it's working fine since then. Now if I can only find some friends to make this useful.

ckohler

Wait... Safari/Javascript can access location services?! My mind is blown. I've got to build that into the NeoGAF web app somehow. :lol

ckohler said:
Wait... Safari/Javascript can access location services?! My mind is blown. I've got to build that into the NeoGAF web app somehow. :lol

We can now know where Gaffers are all the time! :lol

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
ckohler said:

Oh shi-. :lol

Anyone one here had any experience with Ultra-Case brand covers for the iPhone? I have a placeholder atm but its obstructing the keyboard/screen.
I'm looking at this one in particular: http://www.ultra-case.com/product.php?pID=62

Any alternative cases or covers that are leather, fake leather or suede that anyone can recommend? I'm not really worried about screen protection because I have an Invisible Shield for it, the back is the problem because I couldn't get the shield on there the fiddly piece of shit.

SmoothCB

Quick question about unlocking that most likely hasn't been asked here yet: I'm heading to China in a couple of weeks for about 6 months and want to use my iphone on China Unicom's network (3G and all). If I unlock it to use my Chinese sim card will I be able to just pop my AT&T sim card back in when I get back to the USA?

SmoothCB said:
Quick question about unlocking that most likely hasn't been asked here yet: I'm heading to China in a couple of weeks for about 6 months and want to use my iphone on China Unicom's network (3G and all). If I unlock it to use my Chinese sim card will I be able to just pop my AT&T sim card back in when I get back to the USA?

Yeah, you should be all set!

SmoothCB

One more question about the unlocking and use in China: Can the firmaware be updated at any time after unlocking or do I need to wait for an new "firmware unlock" each time new firmware comes out?

Manics

Banned
SmoothCB said:
One more question about the unlocking and use in China: Can the firmaware be updated at any time after unlocking or do I need to wait for an new "firmware unlock" each time new firmware comes out?

Wait for a new unlock for each new firmware.

Fox1304

VenusandBacchus said:

Personally i've got the Sennheiser MM200, bluetooth semi-in-ear. They sound awesome, and have the mic and commands for volume/answering call ( unfornutaley, AVCRP profile is not suppoted correctly so no fast forward/backward compatibility ).

If you don't want bluetooth, the same model exists for plugged ears ( Sennheiser MM50 ).

Ashhong

BlackGoku03 said:
Why then does it work for some but not others? It was working for me for a little while then bricked.

Really, I just can't wait until I get my hands on a 3G. I think most, if not all my problems would be solved. I should have spent the extra cash and bought a 3G. I spent $380 on my current one.

Don't have AT&T. I have T-Mobile.

no matter what phone you are on, its never going to be 100% stable with it unlocked/jailbroken. ive had the original iphone unlocked since the day the software came out, and all of my friends phones perform better, always. just how it is, nothing can be done.

and it is against Apple TOS to jailbreak it. they used to have a notice up at the store saying that they will not provide service if you jailbreak.

Oni Jazar

Charred Greyface said:

This is stupid for the iPhone. Since the iPhone does not support multi-tasking, the location only updates when the user goes to the latitude website. Pretty much useless if all your friends have iPhones. There's no way for the phone to update automatically.

Because the iPhone and iPod touch don't allow Safari windows or apps to run in the background or while your device is locked, your location will only be updated when Latitude is in the open, active Safari window.

Add Latitude to your Home Screen to be able to quickly open Latitude in Safari and update your location when you arrive at a new place. Just open Latitude in Safari and tap the + icon > Add to Home Screen > Add.

Your location will continue to be detected and updated while Latitude is the open, active Safari window and will stop being updated if you switch browser windows, leave Safari, or allow your device screen to lock.

http://google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=136647

For Blackberry, Windows Mobile and Android users, their location will be updated automatically (if their privacy settings allow for it).

Oni Jazar said:
This is stupid for the iPhone. Since the iPhone does not support multi-tasking, the location only updates when the user goes to the latitude website. Pretty much useless if all your friends have iPhones. There's no way for the phone to update automatically.

http://google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=136647

For Blackberry, Windows Mobile and Android users, their location will be updated automatically (if their privacy settings allow for it).
You're right. This makes it kind of lame.

Maximus.

if this thing comes out for sure, id be so tempted to buy it so i can use it instead of bringing my macbook pro everywhere. I hope apple really does make this :D

Ashhong said:
no matter what phone you are on, its never going to be 100% stable with it unlocked/jailbroken. ive had the original iphone unlocked since the day the software came out, and all of my friends phones perform better, always. just how it is, nothing can be done.

and it is against Apple TOS to jailbreak it. they used to have a notice up at the store saying that they will not provide service if you jailbreak.
Really? So then it's not just me then. My phone is slightly slower and performs differently than other non-jailbroken iPhones. I jus thought I did something wrong.

Well this seals it. I need a new iPhone quickly.

If anyone wants to sell me their 3g, pm me.

SnakeXs

BlackGoku03 said:
Really? So then it's not just me then. My phone is slightly slower and performs differently than other non-jailbroken iPhones. I jus thought I did something wrong.

Well this seals it. I need a new iPhone quickly.

If anyone wants to sell me their 3g, pm me.

Why not just restore it?

Ashhong

SnakeXs said:
Why not just restore it?

yea try this.

if you select "Upgrade" when going to newer firmwares theres a good chance that you are losing space because of how the jailbreak system works.

also constant restarts help. not sure if its because its jailbroken or not, but i run low on system resources pretty easily, and it starts to really slow down.

you have to realize that once u jailbreak you are installing software that apple did not intend to be on there. like cydia, which has its own little install methods and all that. i cant imagine that these are as stable as the original apple programs.

Ashhong said:
yea try this.

if you select "Upgrade" when going to newer firmwares theres a good chance that you are losing space because of how the jailbreak system works.

also constant restarts help. not sure if its because its jailbroken or not, but i run low on system resources pretty easily, and it starts to really slow down.

you have to realize that once u jailbreak you are installing software that apple did not intend to be on there. like cydia, which has its own little install methods and all that. i cant imagine that these are as stable as the original apple programs.
I did restore it. Many times. Remember, I was complaining earlier about my phone bricking. I don't know if it was ActivateMMS2G or Winterboard but my phone would turn off and not turn back on. Each time I had to restore it by putting it in DFU mode and restoring it to 3.0 then using redsnow. This happened many times, even when ActivateMMS2G wasn't even on the phone, it'd turn off then never turn back on.

This happened at least 6 times. I got tired of it and tried to restore it back o 2.2.1 but for some reason Quickpwn wouldn't take the ispw files and said it was a bad string or something along those lines.

Either I need to try jailbreaking it on a Mac or just get a 3G. Since my friend with a Mac just moved 2 hours away, I think I'm just going to go for a 3G or 3GS. I hear it can be jailbroken now.

SnakeXs

Wait, what are you going to gain by restoring, and the reinstalling everything? And what will doing that same stuff to a new phone do?

SnakeXs said:
Wait, what are you going to gain by restoring, and the reinstalling everything? And what will doing that same stuff to a new phone do?
I asked myself that same question. Once I restored the phone for the last time I didn't install anything on it. It's fine for now. But I bet as soon as I put something from cydia on there it will brick.

Getting a new phone should solve my problems. I want MMS too without having to install a program for it. So a 3G really is the answer.

SnakeXs

BlackGoku03 said:
I asked myself that same question. Once I restored the phone for the last time I didn't install anything on it. It's fine for now. But I bet as soon as I put something from cydia on there it will brick.

Getting a new phone should solve my problems. I want MMS too without having to install a program for it. So a 3G really is the answer.

If you restore your phone in iTunes, and then go to settings and tell it to delete everything, and then from a backup, it's like brand new. I don't believe anything stays at that point. I may be wrong, but getting a new phone and doing the same things you're doing now will likely lead to the same end result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom