• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Yeah, I actually did just that. Plugged it in 30 minutes ago and just let it sit. It's back on again. I guess I just let it dip a bit too low there. I feel stupid.

I gotta admit though, I freaked out for a second there. :lol Thank you guys for the help.

Fox1304

Solideliquid said:
Would some recommend comfortable good quality stereo Bluetooth headphones? I have a 3GS and kinda sick of the wire ear buds. Thanks!!

I have the Sennheiser MM200, and they're really awesome. Really good sound quality. Always thought bluetooth audio quality would be bad, and those headphones proved me wrong.

The form factor is really nice too, not too hanging, not too tight.

And the controller is easy to use. But unfortunately, AVCRP profil isn't supported yet by the iphone, so you will only be able to use Play/Stop Volume Up/Down and Answer/Hang call.

33cnos3.jpg

HBP

Anyone have a good car solution for the 3GS, I have been using a Belkin Auto Kit for about 5 years and love it but it doesn't charge the 3GS.

Bought the Monster iCarCharger 1000 but returned it, it was another line in solution but it sounded really bad.

Okay, so I've had the iPhone now for about a month and managed to keep it in pristine condition. However, a friend of mine tried to help me out when I forgot it somewhere and they didn't really watch out for how they stuck it in their bag.

So, now I have two small scratches on the screen... is there any way to repair the scratches? And sort if solution that refinishes the surface of the screen? Is this something apple takes care of if the phone is under warranty? I'm going to get a screen protector anyways, but I'm hoping there's a way to fix the screen beforehand. Any help?

In the SMS app, I'm finding that I constantly wish there was a way to drop the key board away so texts can be seen. Is there a quick way to do this?

This would be very usefull in landscape mode where the kb takes an enormous amount of the screen.

Woodsy

Banned
If I pick up a used 3G, not having a plan, would either the microphone (for Skype) or the GPS (for directions or golf course maps) be locked down in any way? I know I wouldn't have access to a 3G network and I'm sure WiFi would still work, but not 100% sure about these two features.

I have a work phone, so as much as I want to use some features of the iPhone, paying $70+ a month for a voice/data plan isn't in the cards.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Solideliquid said:
In the SMS app, I'm finding that I constantly wish there was a way to drop the key board away so texts can be seen. Is there a quick way to do this?

This would be very usefull in landscape mode where the kb takes an enormous amount of the screen.
Hit messages on the top left and go back into the SMS chat.

Woodsy said:
If I pick up a used 3G, not having a plan, would either the microphone (for Skype) or the GPS (for directions or golf course maps) be locked down in any way?
Nope. You're fine.

Woodsy

Banned
You can't "pickup and go" anymore can you? i.e. pickup a 3G for $99, walk out of the store, jailbreak it, and use all the features without a plan?

Other than that, what's the cheapest option - ebay?

I was growing tired of my work's BS security policy of enforcing a passcode for ActiveSync Exchange accounts. What do you know, I find a nifty Cydia app that cirumvents this requirement and disables the iphone passcode leaving your Exchange account intact.

I fucking love this phone.

Chorazin

HBP said:
Anyone have a good car solution for the 3GS, I have been using a Belkin Auto Kit for about 5 years and love it but it doesn't charge the 3GS.

Bought the Monster iCarCharger 1000 but returned it, it was another line in solution but it sounded really bad.

There are TONS of head units that have USB ports for iPhones/iPods and other USB devices, and even with install they run under 200. I love my Pioneer model!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Woodsy said:
You can't "pickup and go" anymore can you? i.e. pickup a 3G for $99, walk out of the store, jailbreak it, and use all the features without a plan?

Other than that, what's the cheapest option - ebay?
You can't do that without having to pay more for the phone. Best option is to go on craigslist or eBay.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Operations said:
I was growing tired of my work's BS security policy of enforcing a passcode for ActiveSync Exchange accounts. What do you know, I find a nifty Cydia app that cirumvents this requirement and disables the iphone passcode leaving your Exchange account intact.

I fucking love this phone.
Yup, there a lots of actual useful tweaks on Cydia.
More than just crap themes or mods that break the OS.

LCfiner

LCfiner

y'know, seriously, i think I'm gonna have to buy one of those things from Creative.

I'm interested in Android but didn't want to tie myself to a phone contract to try it out. well this is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. assuming the hardware is as solid as it looks, i'm there.

heck, it even has GPS.

504x_Zii_EGG_UI_Composition.jpg

504x_DG-Zii_EGG_Specs.jpg

dallow_bg

nods at old men
32GB + SD card expansion?

I really like that.
I think this is my new dedicated mp3 player. Sorry Zune HD.

Didn't even notice the GPS.

Urgh, have a big problem.

In settings > Wifi, my iPhone says its connected to my wifi network, but '3G' still appears in the top left and my phone is using its 3G connection.The problem is not to do with the router, because my boyfriend's 3G connects to the network just fine, and in fact mine has been connected fine for the past 3 weeks, just suddenly today I've started having this problem. I've tried turning my iphone on and off, forgetting network and selecting it again, turning wifi on and off etc but to no avail. It always says in wifi settings that its connected, it just isn't using the connection for some reason.

Anyone experienced this, and how did you sort it out? I have a 3GS.

mrkgoo

elektrikluv said:

In settings > Wifi, my iPhone says its connected to my wifi network, but '3G' still appears in the top left and my phone is using its 3G connection.The problem is not to do with the router, because my boyfriend's 3G connects to the network just fine, and in fact mine has been connected fine for the past 3 weeks, just suddenly today I've started having this problem. I've tried turning my iphone on and off, forgetting network and selecting it again, turning wifi on and off etc but to no avail. It always says in wifi settings that its connected, it just isn't using the connection for some reason.

Is there a password setting or something? I suggest some trouble shooting and removing security form the router and seeing if it connects.

I have a similar, but not the same 'issue'. At university, they require a log on (normally resets each day). When I first arrive, the iPhone will try to connect, but fail authentication and drop it (I see the wifi briefly go up). I have to actually go into Wi-Fi, where it then directs me to the logon page after it connects again.

From what I understand is that when you first access Wi-fi, it will try to access apple's servers - this lets the phone know if it can get through to the internet. If it doesn't hear back, it either drops it or opens a safari-like logon page. For you, I wonder if it isn't getting that file due to firewalls, passwords etc.

mrkgoo said:
Is there a password setting or something? I suggest some trouble shooting and removing security form the router and seeing if it connects.

I have a similar, but not the same 'issue'. At university, they require a log on (normally resets each day). When I first arrive, the iPhone will try to connect, but fail authentication and drop it (I see the wifi briefly go up). I have to actually go into Wi-Fi, where it then directs me to the logon page after it connects again.

From what I understand is that when you first access Wi-fi, it will try to access apple's servers - this lets the phone know if it can get through to the internet. If it doesn't hear back, it either drops it or opens a safari-like logon page. For you, I wonder if it isn't getting that file due to firewalls, passwords etc.

Nope, no password. Its just hidden, so you have to know the name of the network, but there's no password protection. And I would have thought it was the latter but it just stopped working today and was working fine for ages, plus other 3G iPhones in the house are still working with it...

LCfiner

elektrikluv said:

Try "reset network settings" under the "reset" portion of general settings

LCfiner said:
Try "reset network settings" under the "reset" portion of general settings

Nope doesn't work either :( I have no idea what's up, I googled and found a few people having the same problem but no one knew how to solve it and it seems exclusive to the 3GS. Some people removed encryption and that worked for them, but this router doesn't even have any, its open network!

mrkgoo

elektrikluv said:
Nope doesn't work either :( I have no idea what's up, I googled and found a few people having the same problem but no one knew how to solve it and it seems exclusive to the 3GS. Some people removed encryption and that worked for them, but this router doesn't even have any, its open network!

Well, I guess try some general trouble shooting, starting with taking the hidden out of the wifi - go as basic as you can to see what works and what doesn't.

LCfiner said:
y'know, seriously, i think I'm gonna have to buy one of those things from Creative.

I'm interested in Android but didn't want to tie myself to a phone contract to try it out. well this is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. assuming the hardware is as solid as it looks, i'm there.

heck, it even has GPS.

504x_Zii_EGG_UI_Composition.jpg

504x_DG-Zii_EGG_Specs.jpg

For me, my iPhone is my mp3 player. I don't see a point in carrying around a separate device anymore. The fact that this isn't a phone, when it runs Android so the work is all done for it already, is annoying to me. If it was a phone, I'd probably pick it up to have as an alternate.

It looks like a Touch, it's name is from Wii and it runs Android...it came out as a pretty cool device but seriously Creative, did any effort go into this?

mrkgoo

jonnybryce said:
For me, my iPhone is my mp3 player. I don't see a point in carrying around a separate device anymore. The fact that this isn't a phone, when it runs Android so the work is all done for it already, is annoying to me. If it was a phone, I'd probably pick it up to have as an alternate.

It looks like a Touch, it's name is from Wii and it runs Android...it came out as a pretty cool device but seriously Creative, did any effort go into this?
I think the whole point is that it's a clone of all the best features of existing devices. How many times do you hear, "oh I wish they just made a touch that had this this and this but not that". This device is just that.

LCfiner

rex64 said:
Sweet, but:

full android?
multitouch?
price?

according to the article:

full android as installable option, yes
yes
200 bucks is likely. unsure of capacity for this price (32 GB?) SDK w/ unit are selling for 400.

rex64

Banned
200$ would be sweet

Would be an instabuy (my iPod touch changed my life, but I somehow miss the camera, gps, and the mic)

I have owned 2 Creative Zen players and loved them, my 8GB Zen (the brand relaunch) is still the perfect mp3 player for me to use while working out due to its size and battery life

I have long waited for Creative to step up to the touch market, and it looks like they have in a big way...to bad I have to skip on this because I'm getting an Ipod classic for my car (has ipod control but I don't believe it syncs with other mp3 players

edit: missed the GPS part..hmm i need a GPS too...damn I'm trying to justify this purchase

DarkJC

jonnybryce said:

You really think it's just that easy to make a phone out of it just because the OS supports phone functions? They'd have to get carriers to pick it up, they'd have to put a bunch more hardware in it for the phone, not to mention their target demographic are most likely those who want everything these new phones have but without having to pay a monthly fee. An iPod Touch lacks GPS, lacks a built in mic, lacks a camera, etc etc. This could all come with the next update, but until then, this device makes a lot of sense to me.

DarkJC said:
You really think it's just that easy to make a phone out of it just because the OS supports phone functions? They'd have to get carriers to pick it up, they'd have to put a bunch more hardware in it for the phone, not to mention their target demographic are most likely those who want everything these new phones have but without having to pay a monthly fee. An iPod Touch lacks GPS, lacks a built in mic, lacks a camera, etc etc. This could all come with the next update, but until then, this device makes a lot of sense to me.

Carriers are signing anything with a touchscreen nowadays. Hell, AT&T themselves would probably pick this up given their obsession with touchscreen phones despite having the iPhone, from the the Samsung and LGs to the upcoming Android offering. Creative obviously doesn't want to go this route, but if the G1 and Storm and Pre can be successful I don't see why this can't if it were to exist as a phone.

But yes, you're absolutely right, there is still a strong demographic for people who want (or are forced to support) standalone media devices. Carrying two devices seems archaic to me, but that's just my mentality, as I'm the type of person who even when having my cellphone, Gameboy and iPod Photo years ago would stare at them all and think "Why!?" even before things really began to converge. I understand plenty of people don't agree with me. That's cool too.

DarkJC

jonnybryce said:
Carriers are signing anything with a touchscreen nowadays. Hell, AT&T themselves would probably pick this up given their obsession with touchscreen phones despite having the iPhone, from the the Samsung and LGs to the upcoming Android offering. Creative obviously doesn't want to go this route, but if the G1 and Storm and Pre can be successful I don't see why this can't if it were to exist as a phone.

But yes, you're absolutely right, there is still a strong demographic for people who want (or are forced to support) standalone media devices. Carrying two devices seems archaic to me, but that's just my mentality, as I'm the type of person who even when having my cellphone, Gameboy and iPod Photo years ago would stare at them all and think "Why!?" even before things really began to converge. I understand plenty of people don't agree with me. That's cool too.

Don't get me wrong, I love convergence. The iPhone has been a godsend for me in that department. I just think that Creative was smart to avoid the phone route on this one. Even if it had a phone, it would have to be pretty incredible for me to consider switching away from the 3GS...there are many factors that have me pretty locked in now. So I guess I'm considering it from point of view of many people I know who are content paying $25/month for their phone and want a separate device that does everything else.

Just discovered a really cool (undocumented?) iPod feature in 3.0...

It's always been known that when scrubbing through a song in iTunes you could move your thumb down the screen to move the positional marker once you'd acquired it to move back and forth through the song without your thumb obscuring the marker. But in 3.0, the more you move your thumb down the screen, the more accurate the lateral movement of the marker becomes. I just noticed it today while searching through a song because a little text dialog pops up to tell you about it. Very cool and useful feature.

Gary Whitta said:

It's always been known that when scrubbing through a song in iTunes you could move your thumb down the screen to move the positional marker once you'd acquired it to move back and forth through the song without your thumb obscuring the marker. But in 3.0, the more you move your thumb down the screen, the more accurate the lateral movement of the marker becomes. I just noticed it today while searching through a song because a little text dialog pops up to tell you about it. Very cool and useful feature.

Very nice, thanks for the tip.

mrkgoo

Gary Whitta said:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/how-to/index.html#ipod.podcast-and-audiobook-controls

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
LCfiner said:
according to the article:

full android as installable option, yes
yes
200 bucks is likely. unsure of capacity for this price (32 GB?) SDK w/ unit are selling for 400.

$200 for no internal memory, $400 for 32 GB, and they let you negotiate specific GB sizes. Gotta say that device is definitely really hot.

Duardo

Neo Member
kozmo7 said:
Just bought a brand spankin' new 3Gs 32gig iPhone. I've held off long enough, I think I deserve to splurge a little.

Bad news though. I was looking at all the cool features of the phone and decided to turn it off for kicks; just to see what it'd look like. I held the Power button and slid the red slider to turn it off.

Wait a few minutes and hold the power button to turn it back on...

Nothing. I tried several times, making sure to give it ample time to boot up but nothing happens. Just a blank black void remains on the screeen, in it my dreams and aspirations.

This kind of thing unheard of? The phone is brand new.
Try a reset. Could work. Hold down the top button and the home button until the apple logo appears. If it doesn't, keep holding them and you'll be instructed to connect to iTunes.

Although I would try simply syncing it first in iTunes, and charging it for a bit. Also, you might wanna wait a few minutes for the phone to load. My phone takes about 2 minutes before I can do anything.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Damn I hope it isn't my phone. The wifi works, visual voicemail is down, 3G is down, edge is down. I've started and restarted my phone a few times and still isn't working. :(

I'm sure this was already posted here recently but the SMS Exploit is due to be released tomorrow and Apple have yet to patch it.

Be interesting to see if a Patch is released for Jailbroken phones by someone in the community.

elektrikluv said:
It's a known bug already reported to Apple, the 3GS will have problems establishing a connection with certain WiFi networks. We can only hope for a fix in 3.1.

Woodsy

Banned
Has anyone done an upgrade/downgrade from a Generation 1 iPhone?

My wife is now using my iPhone and I'm sure we will continue service on it indefinitely, but is there anything preventing me from getting the 3G upgrade for $99, transferring the service to the new phone, then swapping the SIM back into the Gen 1? I really just want the 3G for myself to do some games and use the GPS for some of the golf course mapping apps - my wife is happy with the Gen 1.

I have read that the Gen 1's are SIM eaters and will corrupt the SIM if you put in one from a newer phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom