• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Settings in iTunes or on the iPhone itself? I'll try that out in the mean-time.

And from what I read, and what people have said in this thread, ActivateMMS2G works for some and doesn't work for others. Plus I'm ready for more space.

burgerdog

Any suggestions for an IM app that supports aim? The latest update made the aim app one of the crappiest apps I have ever used on the iPhone.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
burgerdog said:
Any suggestions for an IM app that supports aim? The latest update made the aim app one of the crappiest apps I have ever used on the iPhone.

BeeJive. Pricey, hard to swallow, but totally worth it.

burgerdog

SnakeXs said:
BeeJive. Pricey, hard to swallow, but totally worth it.
I don't mind the price if the app is bug free, etc. I do have one question before I bite. Does the app freeze when you receive IMs? Aim was terrible in that regard, chatting with someone that was using a pc was painful, my phone would lock up for more than 10 seconds if I received several IMd in a row.

Ashhong

BlackGoku03 said:
Settings in iTunes or on the iPhone itself? I'll try that out in the mean-time.

And from what I read, and what people have said in this thread, ActivateMMS2G works for some and doesn't work for others. Plus I'm ready for more space.

When you restore your phone, and you get to the screen where it says "restore from backup?" do you do that? or do you set it up as a new iphone?

also, you cant go down to 2.2.1 after going to 3.0 easily. there are many issues that i dont fully understand, one of which i think it the modem firmware or something like that.

i know 2 people that have unlocked their 2G with redsnow, one of which i did for them, and their phones have no issues whatsoever. so either you are not starting the phone as a new iphone, or you have some really bad luck.

burgerdog said:
I don't mind the price if the app is bug free, etc. I do have one question before I bite. Does the app freeze when you receive IMs? Aim was terrible in that regard, chatting with someone that was using a pc was painful, my phone would lock up for more than 10 seconds if I received several IMd in a row.

i think i experienced the freezing. not nearly as bad as AIM though, definitely noticed it there. another alternative is IM+. its also pricey but its pretty nice as well. also has a function where you can send your location to your buddy.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
burgerdog said:

Not at all. It's fast, handles a bunch of chats really well, and aside from it's first 3./push version having some issues when it first came out it's been pretty damn rock solid. I'm sure many others would attest to it's greatness.

burgerdog

SnakeXs said:
Not at all. It's fast, handles a bunch of chats really well, and aside from it's first 3./push version having some issues when it first came out it's been pretty damn rock solid. I'm sure many others would attest to it's greatness.
Awesome! Thank you :D :D

Manics

Banned
SnakeXs said:
Beejive was rock solid before 3.0 and the push version. Since then it's had issues with crashing and lagging but not so bad that it's unusable. The good news is they're constantly updating and improving the app so I'm sure in a release or 2 it'll be back to the stable rock solidness of before.

Okay, I'm getting ready to take the plunge. Over vacation, my cousin had an iPod touch and I just saw a friend yesterday with a 3G and I might be in love.

Is there a good site for iPhone newbies? My friend got hers for $100 (3G 8GB) through her boyfriend's upgrade plan. On the iPhone page, it lists that starting with a 2 year contract, you can get the iPhone 3G for $99, and the S for $199. However, if you upgrade, it says you must pay $299, minimum. Am I missing something? Please don't dash my dreams of getting an iPhone for $100-200.

LCfiner

Mr. Snrub said:
Okay, I'm getting ready to take the plunge. Over vacation, my cousin had an iPod touch and I just saw a friend yesterday with a 3G and I might be in love.

Is there a good site for iPhone newbies? My friend got hers for $100 (3G 8GB) through her boyfriend's upgrade plan. On the iPhone page, it lists that starting with a 2 year contract, you can get the iPhone 3G for $99, and the S for $199. However, if you upgrade, it says you must pay $299, minimum. Am I missing something? Please don't dash my dreams of getting an iPhone for $100-200.

what's your current cell phone contract situation? if you're new to AT&T, you get the iphone at the advertised prices. 200 for 16 gb 3gs, 300 for 32 gb 3gs. (100 for 8 gb 3g)

if you already have a contract with them, you need to call them or check online to see what price you're eligible for. chances are you'll be able to get the advertised prices unless you just got a new phone from them in the last 12 months.

also, I have to recommend you spend the extra 100 bucks to get the 3GS. 200 for the 3GS and it's over twice as fast as the older 3G for pretty much everything. browsing, typing, app launching etc. plus a decent camera and video recording. it's a much better experience

LCfiner said:
what's your current cell phone contract situation? if you're new to AT&T, you get the iphone at the advertised prices. 200 for 16 gb 3gs, 300 for 32 gb 3gs. (100 for 8 gb 3g)

if you already have a contract with them, you need to call them or check online to see what price you're eligible for. chances are you'll be able to get the advertised prices unless you just got a new phone from them in the last 12 months.

also, I have to recommend you spend the extra 100 bucks to get the 3GS. 200 for the 3GS and it's over twice as fast as the older 3G for pretty much everything. browsing, typing, app launching etc. plus a decent camera and video recording. it's a much better experience

I've been with AT&T for just about over a year, so I think I should be good there. But what's the deal with this: http://www.apple.com/iphone/buy/

Says the iPhone 3G is $99, with an asterisk leading to this:

Requires new two-year AT&T wireless service contract, sold separately to qualified customers; credit check required; must be 18 or older. Existing AT&T customers who want to upgrade from another phone or replace an iPhone 3G should check with AT&T or use www.apple.com/iphone/buy to find out if they are eligible for early upgrade pricing: $299 (8GB), $399 (16GB), or $499 (32GB) with a new two-year contract. For those who are not eligible for an early upgrade or who wish to buy iPhone as a gift, the prices are $499 (8GB), $599 (16GB), or $699 (32GB).

Definitely thinking about dishing out the extra $100 for the S, but this pricing shit is so confusing.

Husker86

Mr. Snrub said:
I've been with AT&T for just about over a year, so I think I should be good there. But what's the deal with this: http://www.apple.com/iphone/buy/

Definitely thinking about dishing out the extra $100 for the S, but this pricing shit is so confusing.
Its easy...if you're eligible for the regular 2 year upgrade you can get the 199 price for the 3GS, if not you pay 399 for it.

LCfiner

Mr. Snrub said:

You should be just fine. Go call AT&T or go to an apple store and they'll check your existing account and confirm that you'll get the subsidized price ($200 for the 16 gb 3gs)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
IM FREE FROM THE SUCKBERRY

Man, Apple stores really suck. They look great, but I waited to be helped for like a half an hour while multiple salespeople "forgot" about me.

mrkgoo

elektrikluv said:
What's everyone's favourite unit converter app?

I've used three:

The Converter:
I like this one. Nice icons, really simple to use, and remembers your last position. Loads of units. My only beefs are a bit buggy in that if you do things like double tap edit list, it can accidentally hide all your units or make the edit list button disappear.

myConvert:
I just had a quick look recently. Nice and clean interface, multiple units on one page, but it's a bit tedious to manage your favourites and things.

9-toolbox:
It's flashy and has a whole bunch of stuff, but the newest version has a splash ad on the first page for their premium app, which is a major turnoff. Perhaps TOO much functionality.

burgerdog

Oh man, Beejive is so worth it. Thanks again! And yea Kev, the two apple stores that me and my gf visited in Beverly hills had awful sales people, they would stop and chat with each other, ignoring the 10+ people that were in line.

Blackhead

Redarse
+1 for The Converter

Y2Kev said:

Man, Apple stores really suck. They look great, but I waited to be helped for like a half an hour while multiple salespeople "forgot" about me.
:lol there are a few Apple store haters on GAF that'll tell you the sales people suck because the customers are never left alone.

Y2Kev said:

Last time I went they had 5 fucking employees, surprised me considering how small it was. They sounded like they knew some of their shit tho but I can see how it can be a bitch in some places.:lol

Tobor

Y2Kev said:

Congrats, dude. Let us know what help you need, and demand more iPhone coverage in your favorite podcasts. ;)

Im thinking about getting an Iphone 3g (not s) but I have t-mobile. How well does an unlocked iphone 3g run on tmobile? I know the 3g wont work, but does everything else work (gps, app store, downloading songs & podcasts) ?

If the iphone is crippled on t-mobile, what phone is better?

Husker86

Charred Greyface said:
+1 for The Converter

:lol there are a few Apple store haters on GAF that'll tell you the sales people suck because the customers are never left alone.
That's not Apple haters, that's any idiot that walks into a retail store and gets mad at someone trying to help them...man I need to get out of Best Buy.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hey guys,

I am signing up for MobileMe so I can push my email--wtf at not having it anyway, but I will obviously find workarounds. Anyway, I want to have a mobileme family plan with just two lines (not four). Is this possible? I can't actually see anything about pricing until I upgrade from the trial, which seems a little weird to me.

mrkgoo

BrassMonkey1010 said:
Im thinking about getting an Iphone 3g (not s) but I have t-mobile. How well does an unlocked iphone 3g run on tmobile? I know the 3g wont work, but does everything else work (gps, app store, downloading songs & podcasts) ?

If the iphone is crippled on t-mobile, what phone is better?

I'm not sure about a hack-job unlock, but I have an officially unlocked iPhone 3G and I'm on T-mobile prepaid, specifically the SideKick Prepaid plan (unlimited data and text for $1 a day).

It all works fine. I don't try to download anything over EDGE, so I don't know on that front (I get about 30-100 kbps depending on where I am). Other than that it works beautifully. I turn off 3G, so I get an added advantage of extra battery life. Google maps, location services all work fine.

I DO get very annoying Apple Logo of Death, but that won't be related to T-mobile.

DarkJC

Y2Kev said:
Hey guys,

I am signing up for MobileMe so I can push my email--wtf at not having it anyway, but I will obviously find workarounds. Anyway, I want to have a mobileme family plan with just two lines (not four). Is this possible? I can't actually see anything about pricing until I upgrade from the trial, which seems a little weird to me.

If you go to Apple's webpage, they have a thing on pricing. Officially it's $99/year individual, $149/year for family. From what I can see, the only way to get additional me.com email addresses is to upgrade to the family account or buy another individual line.

Something that may interest you before you spend money are the sellers on ebay. I was looking into it myself recently, and there are full individual account codes for sale on there for around 60-70 dollars, quite the savings off $100.

Y2Kev said:
Hey guys,

http://www.megamacs.com/item/Apple-...rice-of-$149/view,3996645/criteria,mobile me/

or

http://www.megamacs.com/item/Apple-...at-Apple.com/view,4006439/criteria,mobile me/

for cheap deals.

JB1981

Just bought an iPhone and just discovered that it does not support MMS. This is honestly a big fucking deal to me. I am very very pissed off about this. How can it be possible that I can't simply attach a picture to a goddamn text message?!! My piece of shit last phone did this with no problem!!! And no, don't tell me that I can email the pics because I don't care! I want to send it in a text. Guess I should have done a bit more research before I bough the phone, but I figured sending a pic through text would be a GIVEN. Fuck.

Also the internet has been slow as fuck all weekend. Is this normal?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
JB1981 said:
Guess I should have done a bit more research before I bought the phone...
Yes...yes you should have. How you didn't know this before you bought the iPhone is mind boggling considering people have been bitching about that for what...2+ years now?

...and are you aware that that feature IS coming once AT&T gets their shit together?

Come on man...

JB1981

About how long am I going to have to wait for AT&T to get their shit together? Is it the entire AT&T network or just the iphone? Also, why is the internet so slow? Wifi is great phone internet is garbage.

Oni Jazar

JB1981 said:
Just bought an iPhone and just discovered that it does not support MMS. This is honestly a big fucking deal to me. I am very very pissed off about this. How can it be possible that I can't simply attach a picture to a goddamn text message?!! My piece of shit last phone did this with no problem!!! And no, don't tell me that I can email the pics because I don't care! I want to send it in a text. Guess I should have done a bit more research before I bough the phone, but I figured sending a pic through text would be a GIVEN. Fuck.

If you're on AT&T then MMS will be active in about a month.

JB1981 said:

How did you miss the millions of iPhone owners talking shit about AT&T for fucking up MMS and tethering?

Have you ever used 3G Internet?

JB1981

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
How did you miss the millions of iPhone owners talking shit about AT&T for fucking up MMS and tethering?

Have you ever used 3G Internet?

well, for one, this is the first time i have ever read this thread and I didn't really know too much about the iphone before i bought it, except that it supported safari, was an iphone, supported cool apps, and had a snazzy touchscreen. it never even occurred to me that something as simple as sending a picture text message would not be supported. i mean, really, it's supposed to be the most high-tech phone on the market. why does at&t suck so bad?

plus my friends all bought the phone and they basically say it's the best purchase they've ever made. they also told me that the internet works great on the thing, so i just took their word for it. to my surprise, the internet works like shit on it, unless you are using wifi.

i mean, really, it's supposed to be the most high-tech phone on the market. why does at&t suck so bad?

Lol, yeah about that... That's where you made your mistake. But honestly, most people would make that assumption, especially if they don't keep up with iPhone news or do research on a product they are or could potentially purchase.. So I don't blame you. AT&T, shame on you!

JB1981 said:
why does at&t suck so bad?
We'd all like to know.

JB1981 said:
plus my friends all bought the phone and they basically say it's the best purchase they've ever made. they also told me that the internet works great on the thing, so i just took their word for it. to my surprise, the internet works like shit on it, unless you are using wifi.
How many bars are you getting? 3G isn't really any worse than wifi for me, other than taking an extra couple of seconds at the very start to begin loading.

JB1981 said:

Not for me. Not at all.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Honestly who do I have to kill to get MMS dammit! The wait is just fucking killing ME! Oh well had to bitch somewhere right!? :D

Tobor

JB1981 said:

Cheesus H Rice.

Kronotech

On the topic of MMS...

I just got my iPhone about 2 weeks ago. I can send pictures to my Verizon friends and ATT friends so far (using the number@email method). But my Tmobile friends can't get my pictures.

number@tmomail.net

They say it's a blank message that only has the "sent from my iphone" tag at the bottom.

Any ideas?

Manics

Banned
JB1981 said:

Yeah the Internet has been down most of the weekend. Fuckin north Korea man what can you do?

Blackhead

Redarse
Seceret iPhone Service Codes
Every phone has a “secret” vocabulary, codes that you can type into the number pad that produce backdoor access to phone information. To use these codes, open the Phone application, and tap Keypad. Next, enter the codes exactly as stated, including any stars and pound signs. Tap Call after entering the code. The iPhone implements a large subset of the standard GSM service codes as well as a number of AT&T-specific ones. Here are is sampling of the codes you can use on your iPhone. To learn more, Google for GSM codes.

Basic iPhone Information

Use these shortcuts to view information about your iPhone’s core functionality:

*3001#12345#*: Enter Field mode. Field mode reveals many of the inner settings of your iPhone, specifically up-to-date network and cell information.

*#06#: Displays your iPhone IMEI, the unique identifier for your cell phone hardware. (No need to tap Call.) Together with your SIM information, it identifies you to the provider network.

Service Shortcuts

These shortcuts provide quick access to information about your account:

*225#: Bill balance. (Postpaid service only; the acronym is BAL for balance.)

*777#: Review account balance for prepaid iPhones on the GoPhone plan.

*646#: Check remaining minutes. (Postpaid service only; the acronym is MIN for minutes.)

*3282#: Check your data usage. (Postpaid service only; the acronym is DATA.)

*729: Make a payment. (The acronym is PAY.)

611: Connect to customer service.

Nothing you can't find under the Settings app or the AT&T myWireless app. The info about prepaid is interesting though...

10 6 [Security] Tips for iPhone Users at DEFCON 17

This week, MuscleNerd and a few other unnamed dev team members will be at DEFCON 17 in Las Vegas. We'll of course be carrying our iPhones on us like last year. Bringing an iPhone to a conference packed with hackers has both benefits and risks. Here are 10 tips for iPhone users at a hacker conference (or any technical conference). Most of these tips apply to jailbroken devices, but some also apply to stock devices too.
  1. Disable all your login cookies in Safari. If you use the hotel or conference wifi, it is 100% guaranteed that your traffic will be sniffed. If you allow a web site (like twitter.com) to store your login info in a cookie, and if you connect to that site through a normal http connection, your login info will be exposed. At the very least, you'll end up on the Wall of Sheep. But you'll be giving up your password to anyone else sniffing too.
  2. Consider not using the hotel or conference wifi at all, especially if you're getting 3G speeds anyway. Do not have your iPhone auto-connect to known networks. If you're bringing a Mac to the conference and you use wifi, at least set up your firewall properly. Turn off everything in Settings→Sharing. Then in Settings→Security→Firewall, click “Set access for specific services”→“Advanced”→“Enable Stealth Mode”.
  3. Learn how to use tethering to avoid wifi on your laptop altogether (and any hotel wifi charges too). By the way, the conference wifi generally doesn't reach up to the hotel rooms, and vice versa.
  4. If you're avoiding wifi, consider buying 3G Unrestrictor in Cydia. It tricks applications that would otherwise insist that you be on wifi into using your cellular data network instead. Such apps include Skype, Slingplayer, iTunes, and many others.
  5. Change your root and mobile passwords. Everyone's iPhone starts off with the root and mobile password of “alpine”. You really don't want to be in a hotel full of hackers who know your root password. You probably don't need ssh access to your iPhone at the conference anyway, so uninstall it or toggle it off using SBSettings.
  6. The conference events last from morning through well into the night. If you have firmware 3.0 on your iPhone and both bluetooth and wifi are enabled, you'll very likely deplete your battery before the day is done. There are power outlets in each of the conference rooms, but those are often the first spots taken (especially late in the day). Consider disabling bluetooth and wifi if only for battery consumption reasons (and maybe even rollback to 2.2.1 :lol ).
If you've OpenSSH and/or Netatalk installed then changing your password is a nobrainer if you care about security. You can do it on the phone or from a computer.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Just bought a brand spankin' new 3Gs 32gig iPhone. I've held off long enough, I think I deserve to splurge a little.

Bad news though. I was looking at all the cool features of the phone and decided to turn it off for kicks; just to see what it'd look like. I held the Power button and slid the red slider to turn it off.

Wait a few minutes and hold the power button to turn it back on...

Nothing. I tried several times, making sure to give it ample time to boot up but nothing happens. Just a blank black void remains on the screeen, in it my dreams and aspirations.

This kind of thing unheard of? The phone is brand new.

Stryder

That happened to me once, I either held down the home and lock button for 10 seconds to revive/reboot it or I just plugged it in to charge because it was a case of run down battery. Give it a few minutes plugged in if that is what is the matter with yours.

kozmo7 said:
Just bought a brand spankin' new 3Gs 32gig iPhone. I've held off long enough, I think I deserve to splurge a little.

Bad news though. I was looking at all the cool features of the phone and decided to turn it off for kicks; just to see what it'd look like. I held the Power button and slid the red slider to turn it off.

Wait a few minutes and hold the power button to turn it back on...

Nothing. I tried several times, making sure to give it ample time to boot up but nothing happens. Just a blank black void remains on the screeen, in it my dreams and aspirations.

This kind of thing unheard of? The phone is brand new.

I know this sounds kind of obvious, but did you try turning it on while it's plugged to the charger? The battery might just be dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom