• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

DOWN

Banned
Fast charging is something I needed on Android, but never really desired on iPhone. Apple's software makes it so it charges super quick as-is. Plugging my Pixel into a generic USB port was fucking brutal though, it charged soooooo slow.
Yeah many people never knew but iPhones never needed as big of batteries as many Android phones have and can take up to 12w as is, so charging an iPhone with an iPad charger for example is very fast. Sadly Apple doesn’t advertise this and only includes a 5w charger with iPhones so people don’t know they can charge nearly twice as fast with the right charger.

Fast charging is something I needed on Android, but never really desired on iPhone. Apple's software makes it so it charges super quick as-is. Plugging my Pixel into a generic USB port was fucking brutal though, it charged soooooo slow.

Eh, it's pretty nice if you've had a full day at work with no chance to charge it and you want to come home and then go out for the night. Being able to charge my phone up pretty far while I shower and change is going to be great for basic battery anxiety.

Red

My main reason for not buying it is battery life. I was just gonna use LTE for when I go to the gym, listen to music/pod casts.
They’ve advertised an 18 hour battery. Isn’t that the same as the last one? Are you waiting for an improvement before you dive in?

DOWN

Banned
Do we know what the actual fast charge max watts that iPhones will except is though? Just says what chargers Apple tested it with (29, 61, and 87 chargers) but not what the max charge iPhone actually will take is.

I know 7 can take up to 12w (so using a 15w charger doesn’t do anymore than 12w when iPhone is plugged in for example)

Would be nice to know so I don’t have to buy Apple’s 29w charger if it only needs 15w for example

Red

FYI, I disagree about the more expensive watches.....

my OG steel.... flawless finish (if I were to polish the case slightly)

my wife's OG sport... small scratch on the case, AND SMALL SCRATCH ON THE SCREEN

no friggin idea how she did the screen. Funny part is, she isn't overly active.. whereas my watch has been around free weights (including kettlebell snatches) for the last 2.5 years and not a single mark on the screen.

I am actually annoyed that they don't have a non-LTE stainless steel option. I mean the $50 LTE tax isn't the end of the world.. but me personally.. I will never go to a sport. I need that sapphire screen and steel body for durability.
Are they not offering a non-LTE steel model anymore? I must have misunderstood. I thought it was still available.

My wife’s sport is also scratched to hell. My steel series 0 looks great.

Guess Who

Banned
Are they not offering a non-LTE steel model anymore? I must have misunderstood. I thought it was still available.

Nope, all the steel models are LTE, complete with dumb red dot.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

basically, no. they removed S2 from the site.. and S1 is sport only. The only steel offered on the site is S3 which is LTE only.

I would have kept the 6s in this scenario.

I would have too except I needed a new phone. My 6S would constantly turn off and lose service, forcing a restart. Not worth the trouble.

Honestly I think you made a poor choice.

For not that big of a price difference, you get double the performance processor-wise, upgraded cameras, wireless charging, fast charging, True tone display. There are other minor feature upgrades like BT5.0 etc. but all-in-all the 7+ is a poor choice considering the price difference.

I don't need double the performance in the processor. I use my phone to text, call, use Chrome and take pictures. Occasionally watch Netflix. I actually only bought the plus for the better camera and I'm still questioning whether that was worth it. I may exchange in a week.

I don't have a wireless charger or a fast charger so I don't care for those features.

The other minor features weren't worth it. So in all, these were the pros and cons:

+ marginally better camera
+ true tone

- glass back
- $65 extra

Considering that, I think I made the right choice.

Wireless charging has significant energy loss when transmitting to device, so it's not a good look for them considering how much they care about the environment. Yeah it's a small amount of energy per charge, but that adds up when multiplied by millions of iPhones.

Yeah, Apple should also force power saving mode to be on all the time, and should stop you from turning the screen brightness up all the way, and—

Wireless charging is really freaking nice. It makes me much more likely to charge my phone overall (because it's so effortless—I just walk into a room and plunk it down where I see the charger), and by extension makes the battery feel much longer than it actually is. When I switched from Android to an iPhone 6, wireless charging was easily the feature I missed most. I can't believe it has taken Apple this long.

DOWN

Banned
Yeah, Apple should also force power saving mode to be on all the time, and should stop you from turning the screen brightness up all the way, and—

Wireless charging is really freaking nice. It makes me much more likely to charge my phone overall (because it's so effortless—I just walk into a room and plunk it down where I see the charger), and by extension makes the battery feel much longer than it actually is. When I switched from Android to an iPhone 6, it was easily the feature I missed most. I can't believe it has taken Apple this long.
Yeah not having to grab and plug or unplug cables to charge makes it effortless and I’m excited

Damon

Fast charging on iPhone being announced didnt excite me.

Been using an iPad brick and its charged fast enough for me 99% of the time.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Daring Fireball post yesterday insists that the TouchID scramble (and failure) is BS. Claims that Apple engineers have said that TouchID under the screen has been dead for sometime.. not because they couldn't (though they didn't) but because for sometime now FaceID was deemed better and more convenient/accurate.

Also from Apple "friends" (not marketers) that going back to a TouchID device feels so weird having to press a button to get to Home.. compared to the X which you are always just right there.

Vuze

Fast charging on iPhone being announced didnt excite me.

Been using an iPad brick and its charged fast enough for me 99% of the time.
Yeah, I (and no other iPhone user I personally know) have never been in a pinch because the phone charged too "slow". Totally don't get what the fuss is about and that's probably why Apple didn't even bother to mention it on stage. But nice to have I guess.
I'll probably just get a USB-C to Lightning cable anyway since I've got the 29w charger already but considering Xcode can do wireless debugging now I don't even know why I would connect my iPhone to the MacBook.

Symphonia

Banned
UK guys:

This is from the o2 website, I didn't see this up last time I checked

GaNZf5l.png
Ooh, I’m already a customer so I get the extra 10GB when I choose their 10GB plan. I don’t mind paying £40 up front if I can get the monthly bill down to just over £70. I’m assuming this would be for the 64GB model, which is still more than enough for me. Awesome.

They'd be skewered for not including it. It's a really nice convenient feature, but Apple is about building their products with the right features AND THEN making those in the most environmentally friendly way possible. They won't skip over essential, good features just because it is inefficient by nature.

I'm not doubting the convenience -- I have an Apple Watch after all -- but it's not very environmentally friendly as a technology. And Apple usually gets it right before they release something, so to see them just using the Qi standard instead of trying to do something better is odd for them. Maybe inductive charging or wireless just can't increase efficiency, but it's an environmental negative that some group will eventually call them out on.

Personally I don't even bother with a wall charger for my iPhone anymore; my 2016 MBP charges my iPhone 7 so fast with USB-C that it's not even an issue.

What's the highest efficiency Qi charger out there anyway? I've skimmed through a few that look appealing to me but a mere 70-75% energy efficiency is quite gross.
Is the Apple Watch charging process similarly lossy? Atleast superficially it seems "well connected" as it snaps into place. But I know too little about what happens behind the scenes.

I believe 80% is the peak efficiency for inductive charging, but I'm not an expert. Apple Watch unofficially uses the Qi standard with some 'special modifications', which is why it will only work with the forthcoming AirPower pad. No idea what the energy loss is on the Watch's charger, I'd assume it'd good but still not "good".

Fliesen

Yeah, I (and no other iPhone user I personally know) have never been in a pinch because the phone charged too "slow". Totally don't get what the fuss is about and that's probably why Apple didn't even bother to mention it on stage. But nice to have I guess.
I'll probably just get a USB-C to Lightning cable anyway since I've got the 29w charger already but considering Xcode can do wireless debugging now I don't even know why I would connect my iPhone to the MacBook.

well, it's not a case of 'often', but there's been moments where i forgot to charge my phone over night and i would be going somewhere where i couldn't bring my power brick. Just a few days ago i was about to leave for a wedding when i noticed my phone to be at 30% battery.

Or when you forget to charge your phone and you wanna go on a morning run.

It's edge cases, but it's definitely a feature that i'd appreciate to have.

I adore the fact that the beatsX have some kind of 'fast charge' feature, where the first 25% will charge in 5 minutes, with a full charge taking close to an hour.

Wow, I had heard about the FaceID snafu from my sister and was under the impression the new tech was having problems because of that until I caught up with this thread.

Still don't know if I'm gonna commit to the X but that's good to hear. I bet Job's would have walked back stage and thrown the phone at someone for that lol.

Anyway, how is the camera on the 8 vs the X? Besides being all around faster and the new tech, I think the thing I care about the most on either phone is the camera, especially since it should be a sizeable upgrade from my old 6. Does the X have something sizeable that the 8 doesn't when it comes to that?

I bet Job's would have walked back stage and thrown the phone at someone for that lol.

Anyway, how is the camera on the 8 vs the X? Besides being all around faster and the new tech, I think the thing I care about the most on either phone is the camera, especially since it should be a sizeable upgrade from my old 6. Does the X have something sizeable that the 8 doesn't when it comes to that?

Shit, Jobs would've probably paid more attention to the phones before the keynote started to make sure everything was perfect.

The X has the Portrait Lighting feature on both front and back cameras, the 8 only gets it on the back (and I think that may only be on the Plus?). Don't know about the camera specs themselves though, I think there's some other camera tech in the X.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Daring Fireball post yesterday insists that the TouchID scramble (and failure) is BS. Claims that Apple engineers have said that TouchID under the screen has been dead for sometime.. not because they couldn't (though they didn't) but because for sometime now FaceID was deemed better and more convenient/accurate.

Also from Apple "friends" (not marketers) that going back to a TouchID device feels so weird having to press a button to get to Home.. compared to the X which you are always just right there.

Cannot be posted enough:

https://twitter.com/SnazzyQ/status/908679413717336064

Red

The X will perform better in low light, especially with the telephoto lens. Zoomed video may also be more stable.

JSkZdUMl.png
0H2reJfl.png

Why is there no carrier less option for the X?
I want to use my work sim and do not have or want my own carrier.

This is actually the first time that Apple has offered a SIM-free model at launch (iPhone 8) ever. It’s usually like on a one to two month delay. Looks like the X is following that tradition

Cheapest UK contract is £72 a month. Lmao. I was interested but fuck that, i'll just get a plus on the same contract I have now and no upgrade fee.

Ridiculous.

Good interview with Craig Federighi with some Face ID Q&A:

“On older phones the sequence was to click 5 times [on the power button], but on newer phones like iPhone 8 and iPhone X, if you grip the side buttons on either side and hold them a little while — we’ll take you to the power down [screen]. But that also has the effect of disabling Face ID,” says Federighi. “So, if you were in a case where the thief was asking to hand over your phone — you can just reach into your pocket, squeeze it, and it will disable Face ID. It will do the same thing on iPhone 8 to disable Touch ID.”

- If you haven’t used Face ID in 48 hours, or if you’ve just rebooted, it will ask for a passcode.
- If there are 5 failed attempts to Face ID, it will default back to passcode. (Federighi has confirmed that this is what happened in the demo onstage when he was asked for a passcode — it tried to read the people setting the phones up on the podium.)
- Developers do not have access to raw sensor data from the Face ID array. Instead, they’re given a depth map they can use for applications like the Snap face filters shown onstage. This can also be used in ARKit applications.
- You’ll also get a passcode request if you haven’t unlocked the phone using a passcode or at all in 6.5 days and if Face ID hasn’t unlocked it in 4 hours.

But the speed isn’t the only question. Sunglasses, for instance, are fairly commonly worn outdoors. Federighi had mentioned in an email to a user that “most” sunglasses would work fine. I asked whether polarization was the problem. He said no.

“It turns out that polarization isn’t the issue — I have a set of polarized sunglasses that work just fine with Face ID. What it is is that different lenses have a different amount of infrared filtration. Most let enough IR through that through most lenses your eyes are visible to IR even if they’re not visible to the human eye,” says Federighi. “There are some lenses whose coatings block IR. In those cases the customer can just use a passcode or take them off.”

“If you’re a surgeon or someone who wears a garment that covers your face, it’s not going to work,” says Federighi. “But if you’re wearing a helmet or scarf, it works quite well.”

Once your space from eyes to mouth come into view that would be the matching range — it can work at fairly extreme angles — if it’s down low because your phone is in your lap it can unlock it as long as it can see those features.

Federighi says that Apple has tested it extensively and it should not matter what your cultural background is, Face ID will work with your face.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
In the US, AT&T & Verizon are charging $10 a month for the privilege. So at least in my eyes, you're doing better than most.
T-Mobile is charging $25 for lte speeds without auto pay.

Apple's new Apple Watch Series 3 models support LTE and UMTS connectivity, but on T-Mobile, LTE connection speeds won't be available. The carrier is limiting the Apple Watch to a maximum speed of 512kb/s, which is more like a 3G connection than an LTE connection.

A T-Mobile representative told MacRumors reader Tony that its "High Speed Data with paired DIGITS" plan would provide 4G LTE data. DIGITS is priced at $25 per month without autopay, and $20 per month with Autopay.
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/15/apple-watch-series-3-limited-speeds-tmobile/

Erebus

Good interview with Craig Federighi with some Face ID Q&A:

”On older phones the sequence was to click 5 times [on the power button], but on newer phones like iPhone 8 and iPhone X, if you grip the side buttons on either side and hold them a little while — we'll take you to the power down [screen]. But that also has the effect of disabling Face ID," says Federighi. ”So, if you were in a case where the thief was asking to hand over your phone — you can just reach into your pocket, squeeze it, and it will disable Face ID. It will do the same thing on iPhone 8 to disable Touch ID."

And why does this only apply to this year iPhones? Couldn't they just make older iPhones disable Touch ID the same way?

wachie

I don't need double the performance in the processor. I use my phone to text, call, use Chrome and take pictures. Occasionally watch Netflix. I actually only bought the plus for the better camera and I'm still questioning whether that was worth it. I may exchange in a week.

I don't have a wireless charger or a fast charger so I don't care for those features.

The other minor features weren't worth it. So in all, these were the pros and cons:

+ true tone

- glass back
- $65 extra

Whatever makes you avoid buyers remorse. 99 out of 100 people would pick the 8+ over the 7+ for a $65 difference.

Oxn

I would have too except I needed a new phone. My 6S would constantly turn off and lose service, forcing a restart. Not worth the trouble.

+ true tone

- glass back
- $65 extra

Are you comparing just the base models? If so, arent you also losing 32GB?

Picking a 7 over an 8 is just a really bad idea.

mid83

So with all the talk of supply constraints going into next year (of course it’s all speculation for now), what is everybody’s plan for the X? Are you in no matter the supply backlog? Will you go for an 8/8+ instead if the wait is too long or stick with your current device?

For me, I’m going to attempt to upgrade via the IUP when preorders open. If I can get one within a month or so, I’ll wait for the X, otherwise I’m going to just stick with my 7+ and wait for the X2 next year.

Apparently the 8 has smaller batteries than the 7 and the difference is made up in software making the 8 no worse.

So doesn't that software make the 7 more economical on power as well? Is the chipset more frugal in the 8 or is Apple pulling a fast one by comparing iOS 11 with the launch power use of the 7 and 7+

Given how the batteries tend to decay as well as new OS features drag on them over time I would be happier with an 8 with a bigger or same size battery not a smaller one. My 6 which is three years since release but has been replaced a year ago due to a failure, only does 4 or 5 hours of neogaf now..

nynt9

As an AT&T customer is there a way I can get this at a discounted price? Last year I remember there was a deal for the 7 that was a lot cheaper.

Top Bottom