• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So with all the talk of supply constraints going into next year (of course it’s all speculation for now), what is everybody’s plan for the X? Are you in no matter the supply backlog? Will you go for an 8/8+ instead if the wait is too long or stick with your current device?

For me, I’m going to attempt to upgrade via the IUP when preorders open. If I can get one within a month or so, I’ll wait for the X, otherwise I’m going to just stick with my 7+ and wait for the X2 next year.

I just bought a used 6s. Going to try and get an X,and if not I should be ok with this phone for another year until X2. 6s/7/8 so similar really.

Question for me is how long to wait before giving up? January may be ok, but if it’s April? Then you’re playing the guessing game of whether the new one will be September or on a different cycle.

This could all blow up in apples face if they don’t sort out production - if lots of people wait and chase the X their volumes could drop a lot. Although tbh with the 8 being so similar to the 7 and people generally updating less often I think that may have been an issue anyway to a degree

ElyrionX

Apparently the 8 is not moving at all during preorders in my country. If stocks of X are limited, maybe Apple miscalculated with the 8.

Damon

Yeah, I (and no other iPhone user I personally know) have never been in a pinch because the phone charged too "slow". Totally don't get what the fuss is about and that's probably why Apple didn't even bother to mention it on stage. But nice to have I guess.
I'll probably just get a USB-C to Lightning cable anyway since I've got the 29w charger already but considering Xcode can do wireless debugging now I don't even know why I would connect my iPhone to the MacBook.

They probably also didnt mention it because you have to buy separate accessories, the brick and the cable, providing you dont have either.

Both of which should be in the box already, If cheaper Android counterparts can include these there is no reason why Apple couldn't other than greed.

Damon

Daring Fireball post yesterday insists that the TouchID scramble (and failure) is BS. Claims that Apple engineers have said that TouchID under the screen has been dead for sometime.. not because they couldn't (though they didn't) but because for sometime now FaceID was deemed better and more convenient/accurate.

Also from Apple "friends" (not marketers) that going back to a TouchID device feels so weird having to press a button to get to Home.. compared to the X which you are always just right there.

Do you have a link??

Vuze

They probably also didnt mention it because you have to buy separate accessories, the brick and the cable, providing you dont have either.

Both of which should be in the box already, If cheaper Android counterparts can include these there is no reason why Apple couldn't other than greed.
Yah. I also think battery life might be a concern since you're eligible for a free swap if it hits 80% within 24 months. And I can't help but feel using fast charging on a regular basis is detrimential to battery health. So that's why they are not embracing it at all.

Eh, they mentioned it for the iPad Pros and they do the same thing

Damon

Daring fireball post:

FACE ID AS THE REPLACEMENT FOR TOUCH ID

Apple made this decision well over a year ago. Perhaps the fundamental goal of iPhone X was to get as close as they could to an edge-to-edge display. No chin whatsoever. There were, of course, early attempts to embed a Touch ID sensor under the display as a Plan B. But Apple became convinced that Face ID was the way to go over a year ago. I heard this yesterday from multiple people at Apple, including engineers who’ve been working on the iPhone X project for a very long time. They stopped pursuing Touch ID under the display not because they couldn’t do it, but because they decided they didn’t need it. I do believe it’s true that they never got Touch ID working, but that’s because they abandoned it in favor of Face ID early.

I don’t know why recent supply chain rumors suggest Apple was scrambling to get Touch ID working on iPhone X as late as this summer, and no one at Apple seems to know either. Disinformation campaign from competitors?

There is clearly skepticism out there about Face ID. Some people think Face ID is going to suck, and a lot of people are flat-out assuming that they’re going to miss Touch ID. We saw the same thing with Touch ID when it was announced, and the skeptics were very wrong. I haven’t used it personally, but I am pretty sure already that the skeptics are going to be wrong about Face ID too. This piece at Ars Technica by Ron Amadeo is going to age poorly, I suspect.

The only time I’ve spent playing with an iPhone X was about 10-15 minutes in the hands-on area after the event, and I did not get a chance to try Face ID. But I spent time — both officially, as a member of the media, and unofficially, as a friend — with several Apple employees who are already carrying an iPhone X as their daily-use phone, and from what I observed and from what they told me — and again, several of these employees are engineers, not PR or product marketing folks — it just works. You don’t have to think about it. According to them, you get used to not thinking about it very quickly, and when you go back to a Touch ID device, it feels broken that you have to touch the button to unlock the device.

One of the places where I saw it working — instantly and effortlessly — was a really dark room. It just works.

https://daringfireball.net/2017/09/iphone_x_event_thoughts_and_observations

dc89

At first I can see myself trying to use Touch ID as a muscle memory thing. But I can see how it becomes more natural to just look at the phone and boom it's unlocked.

At first I can see myself trying to use Touch ID as a muscle memory thing. But I can see how it becomes more natural to just look at the phone and boom it's unlocked.

I think that’s why it’s great to actually have the swipe up. Muscle memory will send your finger down there for TouchID/the home button, and by the time your finger gets there you’ll remember that there is no button and you’ll be ready to just swipe up to get into the phone or close the app you’re in

mrkgoo

I still press my home button a second time to unlock...because I'm a a filthy heathen with an iPhone 5.

Everyone I knew were upset when apple removed slide to unlock, and all of them now don't care and have gotten used to it. I think many people generally like to cry foul when there's a change, but don't actually stop to think if the change is actually any good or not.

Hazelhurst

giphy.gif

jts

...hate me...
I've been serious wtf'ing at the idea that some people think that Apple, the company that absolutely isn't afraid to drop technology and hates redundancy even if sometimes is warranted (I don't know if you guys heard about the headphone jack), invested in Face ID only to couple it with the already existing Touch ID, make it about as pointless as it gets.

It's one or the other. Face ID is the new, out with the old.

Vuze

You need to see your mug on the screen to unlock the phone? That's how face-id works?
No, it doesn’t show your face at all and still show the traditional lock screen with your wallpaper.
Maybe she's just got small hand but she makes the X look huge

Although MKBHD even says it's not a one handed phone even for him.
Yeah she has pretty tiny hands but the height alone does seem to make this a two handed phone.

keuja

Touch ID
1. Raise the phone with your thumb on the home button. Or press the home button, keeping your thumb on it. Phone instantly unlocks and is ready to use as soon as you lay your eyes on it.

Face ID
1. Raise the phone.
1b. align it with your face.
Then wait... (how long exactly I don't know but it didn't feel so quick in the demos)

2. Swipe Up

I hope the review can clarify how fast FaceID really is...

Touch ID
1. Raise the phone with your thumb on the home button. Or press the home button, keeping your thumb on it.

Face ID
1. Raise the phone.
2. Swipe Up

So you either raise the phone with your thumb on the bottom of the screen and then lift your thumb, or you raise the phone with your thumb on the bottom of the screen and then... flick your thumb up

Truly a burden.

number11

So you either raise the phone with your thumb on the bottom of the screen and then lift your thumb, or you raise the phone with your thumb on the bottom of the screen and then... flick your thumb up

Truly a burden.

No one said it was a burden. I asked how Face ID is better, you asked me how it was an extra step and i explained how.

My comment was actually is response to Apple employees who are now acting like the home button is a burden

According to them, you get used to not thinking about it very quickly, and when you go back to a Touch ID device, it feels broken that you have to touch the button to unlock the device.

keuja

No. You just swipe up. It scans your face in the instant between swiping up and moving to the home screen.

Any video showing this?
All the ones I've seen were like: lift up the phone, look at it, see the icon going from locked to unlock, swipe up.
The deliberate steps might have been just to explain the process to the journalists but I'd like to see the whole thing done as in real life situation.

No one said it was a burden. I asked how Face ID is better, you asked me how it was an extra step and i explained how.

It’s not an extra step, you were being deliberately obtuse with touchID steps. There is no difference between having to push the home button and swiping up when counting “steps”

Any video showing this?
All the ones I've seen were like: lift up the phone, look at it, see the icon going from locked to unlock, swipe up.
The deliberate steps might have been just to explain the process to the journalists but I'd like to see the whole thing done as in real life situation.

You don’t have to wait for that animation

samn

Any video showing this?

No I haven’t seen video showing this.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wife spotted my used 6s arriving and asked what it was for. She was ok with my plan of waiting for the X, but did point out 'it’s ok for you to spend £1000 on a phone, but not ok for me to spend the same on a handbag'. Putting aside the difference in use cases, I pointed out that’d I'd told her plenty of times to buy a (stupidly expensive) handbag, and it’s just her nature to prefer to age money.

So this phone might end up costing the household £2000 :p

Oxn

Wife spotted my used 6s arriving and asked what it was for. She was ok with my plan of waiting for the X, but did point out 'it’s ok for you to spend £1000 on a phone, but not ok for me to spend the same on a handbag'. Putting aside the difference in use cases, I pointed out that’d I'd told her plenty of times to buy a (stupidly expensive) handbag, and it’s just her nature to prefer to age money.

Just tell her handbags are dumb

jts

...hate me...
Touch ID
1. Raise the phone with your thumb on the home button. Or press the home button, keeping your thumb on it.

Face ID
1. Raise the phone.
2. Swipe Up
Opposite bias:

Touch ID
1. Raise your phone
2. Touch/press the home button

Face ID
1. Raise your phone with your thumb swiping up

No bias:

Both have the same number of steps to get to the home screen.

It's not an extra step, you were being deliberately obtuse with touchID steps. There is no difference between having to push the home button and swiping up when counting ”steps"

You don't have to wait for that animation

Considering that animation is actually the indicator for whether pho e is unlocked or not, I'm guessing swiping up before it's actually unlocked won't do anything...

Also, whether you have to wait for the animation or not, the amount of steps to unlock the phone remains the same. Whether you can swipe before or after, doesn't change the fact that swiping is an extra step.

Opposite bias:

Touch ID
1. Raise your phone
2. Touch/press the home button

Face ID
1. Raise your phone with your thumb swiping up

No bias:

Both have the same number of steps to get to the home screen.

Bias???? The irony dripping from your post is truly amazing. It's so potent your e literally creating alternative facts while pretending to be unbiased.

Phones with fingerprint scanners can be unlocked while still in your pocket, BEFORE you even raise the phone.

Phones with no fingerprint scanners that require facial recognition HAVE to be raised to the necessary angle/height to unlock......

So what the hell are you actually talking about?

Touch ID:

Raise phone
Press home button

Face ID:

Raise Phone
Be so afraid of dropping a phone you took out a second mortgage to afford you take 30 seconds delicately taking it out of your pocket and raising it to your face
Swipe Up

Humidex

Just buy a Coach/Smythson for her...relatively inexpensive ;)

SiRatul

To me it seems clear that touch ID can be unlocked faster and easier if one is really focused on that (scanning while pulling up the phone). I actually paid attention to how I unlock my 5s or the S7 Edge the last days and I always look at the phone while I use the fingerprint scanner.
Most of the time I'm checking whether there is any new missed message/ mail that warrants me unlocking the phone. So for me personally it would make zero difference I think.

Red

To me it seems clear that touch ID can be unlocked faster and easier if one is really focused on that (scanning while pulling up the phone). I actually paid attention to how I unlock my 5s or the S7 Edge the last days and I always look at the phone while I use the fingerprint scanner.
Most of the time I'm checking whether there is any new missed message/ mail that warrants me unlocking the phone. So for me personally it would make zero difference I think.
If it works as advertised, with an unlock at any angle as long as the eyes, nose, and mouth are in view, it will make no difference for most people.

sangreal

If it works as advertised, with an unlock at any angle as long as the eyes, nose, and mouth are in view, it will make no difference for most people.

Which is not at all any angle. Put your phone down on your desk and turn on the front camera.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I wonder, if you take a screenshot on iPhone X, will it have bunny ears and rounded corners, or will it show stuff that is not visible on the actual screen?

Quonny

Why are people saying you have to raise your phone with TouchID? I leave it on my desk and unlock it all the time and never pick it up. Can't do that with FaceID.

Symphonia

Banned

Why women want to spend that much on a handbag is beyond me. My ex and I were in Selfridges one day when she spotted a Paul’s Boutique bag that she “simply needed to have” — it was just shy of £700. It’s okay to spend £700 on a fucking bag, but God forbid I spend £50 on a ‘nerdy’ videogame.

Oxn

With TouchID the phone is unlocked before it even hits my line of sight, so how can face id possibly be faster>?

Top Bottom