• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iraqi man hugs IS suicide bomber before explosion, saves dozens of lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
This has been making the rounds.

https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/iraqi-mans-heroics-prevents-isis-suicide-bomber-killing-civilians/

Cm2HgkNWcAA-c_X-696x853.jpg

An Iraqi man stopped a would-be suicide bomber from the Islamic State of Iraq and Al-Sham (ISIS) from reaching his intended target on Thursday night; thus, saving dozens of lives at the Sayyed Mohammad Shrine in the town of Balad. According to Iraqi activists, the man was identified as Najih Shaker Al-Baldawi – a local resident of Balad that physically stopped the terrorist from entering the shrine before the latter detonated his suicide vest, killing them both in the process.

The death toll has been reported between 37 and 40, with the injured up in the 70's. Even still, the death toll could have been even higher if not for Al-Baldawi's actions.

EDIT: Sorry made an error in titling the thread. Should say dozens, not hundreds. If a mod could please fix this, thanks..

Hero

Definitely a hero. May he rest in peace. How many of us could have done such a selfless act in the heat of the moment?

Volimar

That split second. That's courage.

Can you imagine being in a bombing and going to the hospital and seeing that the shrapnel they're taking out of you is someone else's bones, etc? Surreal

Brave heroic sacrifice, but in reading the thread title part of me wanted to believe that the hug, the act of kindness from another human being, made the bomber reconsider his attack and no one was killed.

Zubz

Banned
Brave heroic sacrifice, but in reading the thread title part of me wanted to believe that the hug, the act of kindness from another human being, made the bomber reconsider his attack.

That's what I was hoping, too. Still, Al-Baldwai was truly a hero. May he rest in peace.

Nephtis

Am I the only one that thought the man hugged the suicide bomber, and made him reconsider his actions and stopped him that way? Thread title gave me some hope, only to crush it :(

I agree with the sentiments of this man being a hero.

jmood88

Am I the only one that thought the man hugged the suicide bomber, and made him reconsider his actions and stopped him that way? Thread title gave me some hope, only to crush it :(

I agree with the sentiments of this man being a hero.
I thought the same thing before opening the thread.

Azzanadra

A hero indeed.

I will forever be confused about the rights demonization of migrants and Muslims in general when they happen to be the biggest victims of terrorism.

Hackworth

Hardcore.

Brave heroic sacrifice, but in reading the thread title part of me wanted to believe that the hug, the act of kindness from another human being, made the bomber reconsider his attack and no one was killed.
Yeah that's what I was hoping for too. Didn't think it was likely, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom