• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irate customer shoots up Milwaukee Taco Bell due to missing sour cream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purkake4

Banned
Thinking more about this, the bulletproof divider seems like a really good idea not only for robberies, but also when clients have aggravated altercations.

Wellscha

I get that. But it's one moment in the man's life. If we start locking people away (for good as you suggested) then our prisons are going to fill up awfully fast. It's better to get him help, rehabilitate him and remove the means with which he could've caused harm. For all we know he's a good man otherwise.

The dude was willing to kill someone over a spoonful of fucking sour cream. What do you think will happen if he gets fired from his job, or if his girlfriend/spouse leave him?

This dude is a danger to society.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
what completely proportional response...

a small amount of soul cream at a cost of 12 cents. is worth driving back and shooting up a taco bell then possibly going to jail and destroying your future for.

I get that. But it's one moment in the man's life. If we start locking people away (for good as you suggested) then our prisons are going to fill up awfully fast. It's better to get him help, rehabilitate him and remove the means with which he could've caused harm. For all we know he's a good man otherwise.

Our prisons are full, but not because of violent criminals. You don't need to release violent people that would kill over sour cream, or rapists. You don't need to rehabilitate them either. How exactly do you rehabilitate in this case? The dude is otherwise normal but might go on a shooting spree because of some sour cream? And you're telling me some talk therapy would sort that out? I don't buy it.

Sorry, I think our prisons could release quite a lot of people. That doesn't mean I think this guy should ever be allowed to walk the streets.

UraMallas

I'm not going to argue for gun control, but I will argue for voluntarily not carrying a gun everywhere you go. It's true that chicken nugget shootings are a minority among shootings, but they are all 100% preventable. Ten minutes after the people shoot the place up they'd be able to tell you, "hey, wait, it's actually not worth it to go this ballistic over sour cream". It's obviously one of those things there their buttons got pushed and they saw red. These are not people who woke up in the morning thinking they'd shoot someone. They did not think "boy, I'm an irresponsible gun owner". They were in control of their faculties. And then something happened and they weren't.

So, again, not an argument about gun control, not an argument that they shouldn't be able to buy guns, not an argument about banning guns, not an argument about making it harder to buy guns, not an argument about guns being bad, not an argument about guns not being a useful way to stop bank robbers in an epic wild west duel--

--just simply an argument that maybe you don't need to take your gun with you when you go to order fast food.

Working in fast food, I once stared into the eyes of that beast. A lady came in absolutely livid because her fries had salt on them when she asked for no salt. She took the incredibly hot fries and chucked them in my face. One of them gave me a burn on my neck because it got stuck on my shirt. If she had a gun, I feel like it might have been pulled. Her eyes were the most insane eyes I've ever seen.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Working in fast food, I once stared into the eyes of that beast. A lady came in absolutely livid because her fries had salt on them when she asked for no salt. She took the incredibly hot fries and chucked them in my face. One of them gave me a burn on my neck because it got stuck on my shirt. If she had a gun, I feel like it might have been pulled. Her eyes were the most insane eyes I've ever seen.

Did you end up doing anything about it or what ended up happening?

Lucini

Banned
While this is definitely an example of someone with mental health issues, that doesn't change the conversation around guns at all.

People like to say that people who have some disorder or ailment they're dealing with are the reason these shootings happen...my counter argument is simple. Guns are the most immediate and lethal solution to whatever issue they think that they have. That goes for the "mental health" shootings as well as the seemingly random shootings. It's not possible to throw 15 knives the length of 3-5 football fields with precision or the force necessary to kill. It's not possible to kill someone with a baseball bat from a non-intimate distance. However, a gun can. The people who are anti-regulation are somehow missing that fact.

UraMallas

Did you end up doing anything about it or what ended up happening?

I didn't press charges, although I probably could have? I dunno. I guess I just figured it was such a stupid thing for someone to do that I didn't want to escalate it even further. I felt like it was already ridiculous enough, if that makes sense.

Milwaukee was on your list???

Come to Chicago, it's pretty easy to stay safe. It's as safe to travel to as any other city in the US.

But Milwaukee is closer to me :(

Actually I just want to go to throw steaks at Red Letter Media

Chicago is Gotham City (but not in a good way) as far as I'm concerned

Meh I'll probably die from doing something stupid in traffic rather than get shot anyway

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
gol15.jpg

"No sour cream. No peace!"

numble

You think an idiot who created a dangerous situation and caused probably a couple thousand dollars of property damage deserves life in prison at the very least? We're going to need a bigger private prison.

If it can rise to the level of attempted murder (possible, need more facts), it is supposed to carry the same penalties as actual murder.

The dude was willing to kill someone over a spoonful of fucking sour cream. What do you think will happen if he gets fired from his job, or if his girlfriend/spouse leave him?

This dude is a danger to society.

Uhm, yeah, like no shit. I'm not saying he gets to go free, I'm saying we don't just lock him up and throw away the key. Would you really want to live in a society where there are no second chances? That finality for a one time offense seems overkill. Instead it'd be better to lock him away for a time, rehabilitate him, and make him a functioning member of society again.

Our prisons are full, but not because of violent criminals. You don't need to release violent people that would kill over sour cream, or rapists. You don't need to rehabilitate them either. How exactly do you rehabilitate in this case? The dude is otherwise normal but might go on a shooting spree because of some sour cream? And you're telling me some talk therapy would sort that out? I don't buy it.

Sorry, I think our prisons could release quite a lot of people. That doesn't mean I think this guy should ever be allowed to walk the streets.

This is one incident with the guy, unless he's gone around trying to pop every Tom, Dick, and Harry off for all we know he's suffering some kind of momentary insanity. That's why we get him HELP.

you rehabilitate by finding out what triggered this incident, get to the underlying cause and treat it. It's very, very likely a mental health issue. I'm not saying "talk therapy." No one is suggesting the guy chats with a therapist from 4-5 in the afternoon and then goes on his marry way for another stop at Taco Bell. I'm talking about putting him behind bars for as long as it takes to treat whatever his issue is. This isn't something I suggest were he stews for five months, we get him to say sorry, and that's that. We're talking years of therapy and guidance.

This isn't a black and white issue where it's either let him roam free and go bang bang across the city or lock him away forever.

Why exactly?

Outside of the northside you're talking out of your ass.
Honestly everywhere I go when Iv visited my grandparents it just feels dirty and rundown. Obviously there's some nice areas. My Aunt had a nice wedding at an INN right by the lake. Nice area for the most part. City feels like it's passed its hay day and needs a revival of somesort. Losing its blue collar sector really hurt the city.

And then there's large political and gang/drug issues as well.

I do apologize tho trash was to harsh of a word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom