• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iron Man is a killer... of Terrence Howard's career. According to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

so wait people believe idris elba wont be a starring actor in the future? I cant see hollywood leaving him in support roles, they are running low on black stars.

His career was over since being in Crash, as with everyone in that film.
Explain that one? Not everyones career was destroyed after that? Was it?

Its said that Will Smith ruined Cuba Gooding's career because he so similar as to make Cuba irrelevant. Only need one light skinned black movie star in pictures.

Ha, he was replaced because he had the good fortune of getting cast first and made more money than everyone else in the film, including RDJ.

WriterGK

I didn't really like Cheadle in IM2. But I still love him overall. He is fantastic in other movies like Boogie Nights and Hotel Rwanda. But why do people keep saying there aren't any good black actors? Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Idris Elba, Samuel L Jackson, Jamie Foxx, Michael Kenneth Williams and of course Terrence Howard himself and many others I left out like Ving Rhames.

Jado

Banned
The point he was making is that those aging white actors you listed have all been replaced with new hotness pushed by the studios, while the same simply cannot be said of black stars from the same period.

Downey Jr, Depp, Pitt, Damon, Clooney, Cruise, Bale, Neeson, LaBeouf, Wahlberg, Hemsworth, Willis, Tatum, Jackman, Gosling, Craig, Cooper, Affleck, Day Lewis, Renner, Butler, Pine, Reynolds, Worthington, Garfield, Gyllenhaal, Evans, Stallone, and Franco have all landed prominent leading roles in the past few years. You could easily add at least 15 more names to that list without neeeded a google search.

This argument you're pushing that black male actors are proportionally represented just isn't true. You could limit the discussinon to supporting actors and it still wouldn't hold up.

This x10. Opiate is taking percentages at a glance, but not looking at the actual reality of how difficult it is for the lone talented black actor trying to establish a foothold vs. the constantly renewing waves of white actors who have doors automatically opened. I'm gonna quote harSon's article, because it's a great and depressing example (para breaks my own, for screen legibility).
http://postracecinema.co.nf/?p=31

"For one thing, the pathways to stardom between white and non-white actors are completely different. Let’s take this issue of Esquire with Idris Elba and Taylor Kitsch on the cover, detailing the “next generation of Hollywood stars.” With Idris Elba, we have someone who has been acting for over 25 years. He did work at the television level for over a decade, garnering award nominations for his performance in The Wire, and has recently made the jump to the silver screen. He is just now being rewarded with marquee movie roles.

In Taylor Kitsch, we have an actor who has only been in the industry since 2006, seemingly coming out of nowhere to play decent sized roles in the television show Friday Night Lights and the movie Wolverine, before being handed the keys to two $200 million budget movies in Battleship and John Carter. A career path that is quite similar to that of fellow actor Sam Worthington. Regardless of Kitsch’s acting chops or ability to fill theater seats, you’d be hard pressed to find an example of a non-white actor where Hollywood went out of its way to forcibly manufacture them into a star. The closest example is Will Smith, and he was already knee deep in acting and music awards before the industry decided to take the plunge and cast him in a blockbuster film.

The fact of the matter is that white actors stand a much better chance of breaking into the industry. Not necessarily because they’re more talented, but simply due to the fact that they are perceived to be more marketable to audiences. There are several other plausible theories as to why young minority talent is not being nurtured at levels comparable to their white contemporaries, but whatever the reason, the fact that you’d be hard pressed to name ten black, Hispanic and Asian up-and-coming actors combined suggests that there’s is cause for concern, especially as the current crop of minority actors continue to age."

I think he just wanted more money and thought people actually gave a shit about him being in the movie.....Nobody gave a shit about him.

Again speculation but I thought the deal was that they had hired him on before anyone else was signed on to do the movie. So he got much more money than he would have if they cast him after the A-listers. So when the sequel came up they wanted to pay him less than the previous movie and he didn't like that.

Cipherr

Again speculation but I thought the deal was that they had hired him on before anyone else was signed on to do the movie. So he got much more money than he would have if they cast him after the A-listers. So when the sequel came up they wanted to pay him less than the previous movie and he didn't like that.

Yup thats how I understood it too, that he was asked to take a pay cut from the first film. And after having seen IM2, it would have been less pay for an even larger role.

I don't know. Perhaps he should have just dealt with it, but I cannot say that I wouldn't understand his frustration with the issue if that story is true.

Bombadil

Banned
Its said that Will Smith ruined Cuba Gooding's career because he so similar as to make Cuba irrelevant. Only need one light skinned black movie star in pictures.

Will Smith is not a prolific actor. I doubt this was the case.

Cuba Gooding Jr. ruined his own career by accepting every shit script that came his way.

I saw him at an upscale restaurant, walking around with a beanie on his head and sipping bourbon from a steuben glass.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think Howard was better in IM1, but I don't think he would've done as good once he was actually inside the War Machine suit. Not that Cheadle had a breakout performance or anything, but that's how I feel while having a hard time describing why.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
i heard it was the other way around, and a bunch of people clowned him for letting his wife hit him and call him racist names.

Yeah. Police were called for domestic shit at his home but it was actually his wife going off on him. Its just a really, really fucked up relationship.

Cuba Gooding Jr. ruined his own career by accepting every shit script that came his way.

I saw him at an upscale restaurant, walking around with a beanie on his head and sipping bourbon from a steuben glass.

Why do you think he accepted all those shit scripts?

That was all he could get.
I didn't really like Cheadle in IM2. But I still love him overall. He is fantastic in other movies like Boogie Nights and Hotel Rwanda. But why do people keep saying there aren't any good black actors? Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Idris Elba, Samuel L Jackson, Jamie Foxx, Michael Kenneth Williams and of course Terrence Howard himself and many others I left out like Ving Rhames.

You just named all of them. Bonus points.

Now find a successful one in his early 20s.

harSon

Banned
Yeah. Police were called for domestic shit at his home but it was actually his wife going off on him. Its just a really, really fucked up relationship.

Seriously. You can pretty much go across the board with black actors, and a common complain with most of them is that their selection of roles leaves a lot to be desired. When you can say that about pretty much every black actor and actress out there, it's clear that its the industry and not the individual. Trust me, if Cuba Gooding Jr. had Minority Report lined up in 2002, he wouldn't have accepted Boat Trip.

Everyone should seriously read my piece on the subject: http://postracecinema.co.nf/?p=31 I've plugged it numerous times, but it's a culmination of my thoughts on this very subject.

mernst23

He forgot tyrese andre3k and my man mvp.

Akahige

He got 6 mil for the first film because his role was original much bigger, if you watch the deleted scenes there's a bunch of unused footage of him.
God no.

I hope the only thing Marvel is asking him to do is get the fuck out of the way of their productions.
haha same here

Tobor

Yup thats how I understood it too, that he was asked to take a pay cut from the first film. And after having seen IM2, it would have been less pay for an even larger role.

I don't know. Perhaps he should have just dealt with it, but I cannot say that I wouldn't understand his frustration with the issue if that story is true.

It was a smaller role than what he was hired for originally in IM 1. As has been said, his role was significantly reduced in editing.

He should have taken the pay cut. It would have made him the bigger man and lead to more work. If his agent advised him to pass, I hope he fired that agent.

Wilbur

Banned
To put it simply, you're beyond wrong. Read what I wrote here and get back to me.

This is a fantastic piece of writing. Seriously, brilliant.

Only thing I would point out (not even as criticism! Just to talk about it) is that you mention that when there's a black Superman/Bond etc. and it's because he's the right person for the role that'll be great, and it will.

But fuck if Dominic Cooper wasn't the best man for the Devil's Double despite being white. He was fucking great in that film.

JCreasy

Really missed him in IM2. I really dug his chemistry with RDJ.

I remember when it was announced they had dropped him years ago and was so pissed haha.

Agreed!

I'm conflicted because I've learned what a narcissistic asshole he is since then, but I still love his Rhodes the best in Iron Man 1. You nailed it. His chemistry with RDJ was great! It felt authentic.

Jado

Banned

I was gonna reply with this. Cuba never stood a chance against the bias. This is actually a recurring problem in Hollywood -- up and coming black actor wins an Oscar (usually supporting role to a less talented white actor). Said actor then drops off the face of the planet or struggles to pay the bills -- settling for degrading work in low-budget comedies, straight-to-DVD action movies, or cable TV. The Help is a great example. Keep an eye out for Octavia Spencer's future. Doesn't look so great to me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octavia_Spencer#Filmography On the other hand: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_stone#Filmography

Meanwhile, "Johnny Chaddington" who started acting a few years ago lands the lead part in a $200 million flick for no clear reason other than marketability as young, white and hot. RDJ massively fucks up left and right throughout his life and he ends up fine; Terrence never stood a chance for daring to not be a good, complacent "boy."

yo terrance and rdj had a lot more chemistry, they were too fun to watch because there was great resistance with howard

i love the airplane scene where howard resists drinking but tony gets him to give in, so fucking good.. that was good comedy and i don't see that kind of fun unstoppable force/immovable object relationship with cheadle even though cheadle himself is capable of being funny.. just his character trying to resist tony's actions doesn't really fit

howard would have looked so fucking cool in the war machine armor too, cheadle doesnt really look fitting in it.. he's thin and howard looked like a nice bulky, semi chubby military airforce dude

come on howard, how do you not see how cool you were in that role, be humble man

Bombadil

Banned
I was gonna reply with this. Cuba never stood a chance against the bias. This is actually a recurring problem in Hollywood -- up and coming black actor wins an Oscar (usually supporting role to a less talented white actor). Said actor then drops off the face of the planet or struggles to pay the bills -- settling for degrading work in low-budget comedies, straight-to-DVD action movies, or cable TV. The Help is a great example. Keep an eye out for Octavia Spencer's future. Doesn't look so great to me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octavia_Spencer#Filmography On the other hand: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_stone#Filmography

Meanwhile, "Johnny Chaddington" who started acting a few years ago lands the lead part in a $200 million flick for no clear reason other than marketability as young, white and hot. RDJ massively fucks up left and right throughout his life and he ends up fine; Terrence never stood a chance for daring to not be a good, complacent "boy."

I never thought about it that way.

Not comfortable with chalking it up to race, though.

andycapps

I think Tyler Perry would have been a great Rhodes. He was amazing in Alex Cross and could possibly be the next "Morgan Freeman".

Didn't see that, but I'm surprised that Tyler Perry had a good role. Next Morgan Freeman? Maybe I really should see it.

Terrence Howard going down this route is all his own fault. Can't act like the big bad studios were completely to blame. He wanted his payday right away when he had no leverage. Nobody really cared if a secondary character came back when RDJ was the star of the flick. It's called Iron Man.

hahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahha

and my day has been made!

so wait people believe idris elba wont be a starring actor in the future? I cant see hollywood leaving him in support roles, they are running low on black stars.

Explain that one? Not everyones career was destroyed after that? Was it?
Elba is already in his 40s. I'm sure he'll have a run at it, but the time it takes him is an indication of the problem.

I like both actors, but Cheadle looked laughable as War Machine, and so would Howard.

THIS

Neither one looks like a War-Machine or Super Hero to me.

Cheadle looks too sad and doesn't LOOK like some top Gov Military guy to me. Howard plays that part BETTER ... but he doesn't look like a War-Machine either.

JesseZao

In regards to the second part, you have to consider that pre-Iron Man RDJ wasn't nearly the hot commodity he is now. That movie is what really reestablished him.

I'd argue that Kiss Kiss Bang Bang established the nu-RDJ that everyone loves now. Iron Man just blew him up.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Agreed!

I'm conflicted because I've learned what a narcissistic asshole he is since then, but I still love his Rhodes the best in Iron Man 1. You nailed it. His chemistry with RDJ was great! It felt authentic.

If you refuse to cast narcissists in Hollywood you'll never get the movie made. It's really a shame someone at Marvel didn't fight harder to keep him, because Cheadle's Rhodes is just dead in the water throughout IM2. Howard's Rhodes was believable as someone who had a history with Tony and actually cared about what was going on with him, but Cheadle comes off as a pure military tool with no interest in Tony. Part of that is what Rhodes has to do in the IM2 plot, but I feel like Howard would have been able to make Rhodes sympathetic in the process of that, while Cheadle's Rhodes just feels like a dick. At no point in IM2 do I buy Rhodes having any kind of genuine friendship with Tony, and that is a major failing of the film.

Keep an eye out for Octavia Spencer's future. Doesn't look so great to me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octavia_Spencer#Filmography On the other hand: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_stone#Filmography

Sorry, but this is a bit silly on all comparisons.

Octavia Spencer has to play older characters, and obese ones (how many white actresses not named Melissa McCarthy, who looks young btw, can you name?).
Comparing her to Emma Stone is all the bits unfair.

Now Taylor Kitsch, he doesn't have much movies lined up anymore, aside one that was already there before the flops. He certainly will benefit from being a hot white boy and have other chances to prove his worth, just like what happened to Tatum, but if he doesn't strike, he'll hit the slum. Rich by 3 poor efforts, but still.

RDJ was a good actor prior his poor steps in his private life, and luckily he found/was found to play a character that had many resemblances to him, and it met him right when he was recovering from his vices.
Howard is a good actor too, and I don't know what bridges were burnt for him by all that was reported between Iron Man 1 and 2, but he certainly wasn't forgotten. He was on a stride though and maybe (if we take that everything reported is true) he may have took a step larger than his legs allowed, pissing people down on his fall.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This guy sounds like he has a killer ego.

And I didn't know being a 20mil/picture superstar was the end goal of an actor, figured doing great work was. He struck me as someone concerned more with the latter, but guess not.

bjb

Banned
Entitled actor complaining about not making millions anymore while "settling" for $60,000? Meanwhile, countless people on a global scale are struggling to get by; can't feed their kids, pay their bills or afford nice things.

What a fucking clown.

Side Note: Don Cheadle is garbage as War Machine too.

If you refuse to cast narcissists in Hollywood you'll never get the movie made. It's really a shame someone at Marvel didn't fight harder to keep him, because Cheadle's Rhodes is just dead in the water throughout IM2. Howard's Rhodes was believable as someone who had a history with Tony and actually cared about what was going on with him, but Cheadle comes off as a pure military tool with no interest in Tony. Part of that is what Rhodes has to do in the IM2 plot, but I feel like Howard would have been able to make Rhodes sympathetic in the process of that, while Cheadle's Rhodes just feels like a dick. At no point in IM2 do I buy Rhodes having any kind of genuine friendship with Tony, and that is a major failing of the film.

The character was written to doubt and go against his better judgment of Stark because of his history, to ultimately consolidate the buddy cop duo status.
The friendly Howard contrasts with Dicky Cheadle because one continued the character when he changes. Not because Cheadle acts like a dick.
This may sound weird right now, but wait till may! :p

strobogo

Banned
RDJ massively fucks up left and right throughout his life and he ends up fine; Terrence never stood a chance for daring to not be a good, complacent "boy."

I don't think this is true at all. This seems to not take into account that RDJ went to prison and was effectively blackballed from anything major in Hollywood. He was doing small supporting roles in low budget films for 10 years. He wasn't in any big budget films and he definitely wasn't in any staring roles. He had to go to TV when it was still seen as the hallmark of a dead career when a film actor went to TV. The casting of Iron Man was a huge gamble and RDJ having a relatively low asking price was a contributing factor.

On top of all of that, Robert Downey Jr. is a far more talented actor than Terrance Howard.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I don't think this is true at all. This seems to not take into account that RDJ went to prison and was effectively blackballed from anything major in Hollywood. He was doing small supporting roles in low budget films for 10 years. He wasn't in any big budget films and he definitely wasn't in any staring roles. He had to go to TV when it was still seen as the hallmark of a dead career when a film actor went to TV. The casting of Iron Man was a huge gamble and RDJ having a relatively low asking price was a contributing factor.
I think you missed the point while somehow reinforcing the point.

Loxley

I was never particularly fond of either Cheedle or Howard as War Machine. Both are obviously very talented actors, but they never felt like the perfect choice for the character to me.

Michael Clark Duncan on the other hand...hell yes.
RIP :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom