• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iron Man is a killer... of Terrence Howard's career. According to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
60k a movie?

Fuck that, I'll do it for 10k!

Please respond, casting agents.

Really? 10k? The amount of time it takes to film a movie that averages out anywhere between 3k to 5k a month. Really not as much as it sounds.

Hystzen

Terry Crewes should have been Rhodes might not be best actor but at least we notice him. At moment Rhodes just floats around in background until he needs push a plot point forward then shit goes down hopefully IM3 switches it. Also Cheadle might look more relaxed in IM3 would been awkward being a recast for IM2

i laughed hard when i saw cheadles face pop out of the iron man suit in IM2 while they were fighting. all i could think is why isn't howard in there.

harSon

Banned
Who and which he jointly landed along Battleship...
Unless you mean Kitsch should have been dumped by now.

And costarring alongside Brendan Gleeson must be awesome to learn but it is hardly "success!" in exposure or financial terms.

The fact remains that he's still getting respectable work. A dead career is when you have to resort to Straight to DVD film after Straight to DVD film like Cuba Gooding Jr, not when you have two prominent films in the pipe line and were just recently cast in an HBO film (http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2013/03/taylor-kitsch-going-gay/62692/).

Kitsch's next movie is a Peter Berg film starring alongside Mark Wahlberg, Eric Bana, Emile Hirsch and Ben Foster. His next film after that is costarring alongside Brendan Gleeson. Minority actors would murder their first born child for their 'dead' careers to result in such films.

And I'd add Nicholas Hoult's name to the list alongside Chris Hemsworth.

Nicholas Hoult is awesome and Hemsworth actually have the chops to carry a film.

harSon

Banned
Nicholas Hoult is awesome and Hemsworth actually have the chops to carry a film.

I'm not saying they're not good, I personally like them, simply that in the case of someone like Hemsworth, they're thrust into Blockbuster film after Blockbuster film without ever having to prove themselves at the lower levels (Hoult's not so bad in this regard). That's a career path scenario unique to white actors.

I thought Howard was a decent Rhodes and his chemistry with RDJ in the first IM movie was far more entertaining than watching Cheadle. Cheadle's Rhodes gives off this "playing it safe" vibe in his performance.

strobogo

Banned
I would agree with that. Just barely above the phoning it in level. Howard looks more like Rhodey, though. I didn't think either of them were particularly memorable in the role. I like Don a lot more as an actor and personality, but he didn't really do much with what he was given.

geebee

Banned
i laughed hard when i saw cheadles face pop out of the iron man suit in IM2 while they were fighting. all i could think is why isn't howard in there.
God, seeing the faces pop out of the suits are the worst parts of these movies.. the Iron Man 2 party scene especially..

The fact remains that he's still getting respectable work. A dead career is when you have to resort to Straight to DVD film after Straight to DVD film like Cuba Gooding Jr, not when you have two prominent films in the pipe line and were just recently cast in an HBO film (http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2013/03/taylor-kitsch-going-gay/62692/).

Again, this HBO movie would only have any weight due HBO (not the movie part, because they are generally small productions too).
At least Cuba Gooding Jr. (and mainly Terrence Howard) is in The Butler, playing a president, and has a character (that will probably be minor) in the Machete sequence.
But yeah, he crashed and burn.
What was his parting movie? Radio?
He was in Gangsters, but as a secondary.

I'm not saying they're not good, I personally like them, simply that in the case of someone like Hemsworth, they're thrust into Blockbuster film after Blockbuster film without ever having to prove themselves at the lower levels (Hoult's not so bad in this regard). That's a career path scenario unique to white actors.

Yeah, and it's a shame.

Joni

Kitsch's next movie is a Peter Berg film starring alongside Mark Wahlberg, Eric Bana, Emile Hirsch and Ben Foster. His next film after that is costarring alongside Brendan Gleeson. Minority actors would murder their first born child for their 'dead' careers to result in such films.
Remnants of contracts gained before his flops, and certainly no big films.

Indeed. They have done it with Worthington, Kitsch, Hemsworth, and it might work for a couple of movies but it won't give them a good career and in two years we'll have long forgotten them, no matter of their acting talent. They're used because of their rugged good looks until people get tired of them. Compare that to McAvoy or Fassbender, two other names of the moment. They have grown their career quietly and will go way longer.

Hystzen

Most Hemsworth films recently released where made ages ago but shelved only released now to jump on his popularity. Kitsch I feel sorry for I kind of enjoyed John Carter but Disney screwed that up by giving it a stupid budget for marketing meaning it had no chance at Box Office.

charsace

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I can see the argument for Freeman not being a leading man, but the other four all regularly get starring roles.
There was a time when Sam Jack got lead roles but what was his last one Snakes on a Plane?

And Foxx gets them at times but really only 2 are certain leading men

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
There was a time when Sam Jack got lead roles but what was his last one Snakes on a Plane?

And Foxx gets them at times but really only 2 are certain leading men

Disagree about Foxx. I know Eddie's in a slump as well, but he still gets big budget starring roles (or did) regularly.

Jado

Banned
I like Fassbender -- he's undeniably talented and will be around for a while. But he really hasn't been around that long and his rise to the top has been extremely fast compared to most actors, especially minority actors. His first major role was "300" in 2007.

PhoenixDark, I wasn't debating whether or not Terrence was a good actor or a deserving individual. Just pointing out that other bad actors (both in personality and talent) don't have to deal with this level of criticism and fallout.

strobogo

Banned
Most Hemsworth films recently released where made ages ago but shelved only released now to jump on his popularity. Kitsch I feel sorry for I kind of enjoyed John Carter but Disney screwed that up by giving it a stupid budget for marketing meaning it had no chance at Box Office.

I think Thor has a lot more charisma and if not better, more enjoyable acting skills than Gambit. However, I thought Taylor was perfectly fine in Battleship and the movie as a whole was quite enjoyable as a dumb summer action movie. I don't know why anyone who put money into it thought it would be some big hit, but the movie itself and his acting were fine in it. I don't think anyone as the lead in Battleship would have made it some huge blockbuster.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Disagree about Foxx. I know Eddie's in a slump as well, but he still gets big budget starring roles (or did) regularly.

Foxx last leading role before Django? Could have sworn his plate was fairly empty for a min there

Foxx last leading role before Django? Could have sworn his plate was fairly empty for a min there

He was co-lead in "The Soloist" with Robert Downey Jr., and "Law Abiding Citizen" w/ Gerard Butler, both in 2009. Then supporting roles in Due Date & Horrible Bosses (as Motherfucker Jones), in 2010 & 2011, respectively.

iamblades

Half of these white actors people are mentioning just all of sudden being hollywood stars are all foreign actors who have talent and are willing to come over here and work for cheap (relative to hollywood budgets) at first. One blockbuster picks an actor because they are an unknown with no baggage and willing to work cheap, then all the sudden everyone wants them. If they have talent, they'll stick around more than a couple movies, if not then no one ever hears from them after their phase has passed. The lead actor of a giant blockbuster has never required talent in the eyes of the people making them.

Which also throws the percentages off as well. If black actors are not only competing with white American actors, but also white actors from all over Europe and Australia/NZ. Now that the film industry is completely global, you can't look at blacks as a percentage of america and tell whether or not there is under representation or discrimination, you have to look at black actors as a percentage of the total worldwide pool of actors. That's a much more complicated task.

Takuan

Considering Iron Man's box-office success and the increased role War Machine played in the sequel, I can't fault Terrence Howard for negotiations going sour. It's unfortunate that he had to learn the hard way that black actors not named Denzel Washington or Will Smith are completely disposable in Hollywood. I like Don Cheadle a lot, but Howard fit the role better.

On a side note, I want to see Dead Man Down.

All this talk about Iron Man 2 and nobody seems to be focusing on what really matters.....

"I want my bird!"

"I said I want MY bird!"

"Oh you like the bird now? Takethebird."

*Justin Hammer dance*

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Cheadle is the last actor that should be in any superhero movie playing any role. Howard was far superior. I'd fight both of them at the same time in the octagon, 2 vs 1, however. Someone tweet Dana White and tell him I want a 5 million dollar payday.

WriterGK

I didn't like IM2 that much. So I am not really excited about seeing IM3 either. But to be honest movies in generally that have 3 parts or more I most of the time dont like the third or latter parts.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Am I the only one who liked him more than Don Cheadle as Rhodes?

No, I definitely liked him more than Cheadle (and I really enjoy Cheadle.) I just think he fit better with the rest of the cast, but what can you do.

The War Machine suit would've looked completely different if Howard still had the role. It would've had to been let out quite a bit, and given a lot of armored padding to fit a 'bigger' guy.

It would've looked more War Machine-y in that regard.

A bit old, but the perfect build for cage.

YES.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
A bit old, but the perfect build for cage.

I disagree. Maybe if you are going for the 70's to 80's jibba-jabba jive talkin' version. The latest incarnation looks quite similar to Crews.

Y32tGYo.jpg
jlfONAe.jpg

I'm still pissy they passed on the Alias TV show, BTW. What I wouldn't give to see Jessica Jones and Luke Cage solving misteries and kicking ass.

Edit: Just for lulzies

fxdUOuO.jpg

He was great, and his awkward "real hatred" chemistry with Downey was the BEST thing about the original Iron Man (didn't someone say, when Downey asks him to blow on his dice that was improv, and that Howard truly looking pissed off at Downey?). But in any case, the guy seems completely deluded, and honestly believed he was going to be titular character in a movie where his character ain't the titular. But I hate Cheadle, guy always looks sad, even when he's smiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom