• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
you just jealous, bitch.

Being jealous of good pizza is only a natural instinct.

But since we are talking about restaurant meals, I just stumbled upon a certain album from a few months back that I didn't share with IronGAF.

Candied torreznos:
B9tr2xd.jpg

Deer paté with boletus vinaigrette:
d85c6zX.jpg

Low temperature egg with iberico, pureed potato and Pedro Ximénez reduction (LORD)
oxd3un3.jpg

Baby squid with onion, fresh chanterelle and dried white mushroom (NNNNG).
k26KOl4.jpg

Confit lamb with mushroom couscous.
tV2wZhV.jpg

Candied french toast.
ClGjbEt.jpg

Bonus picture:
2Se4igV.jpg
For those curious, the restaurant is Nöla Sigüenza. It was autumn's seasonal menu (or was it winter's?) and it was nicely priced at €38 or so.

For those curious, the restaurant is Nöla Sigüenza. It was autumn's seasonal menu (or was it winter's?) and it was nicely priced at €38 or so.

Do you live near there? We have a remote worker who lives in Zaragoza and I think next year I'll probably visit him as part of taking the family to Spain. Want to see the Vuelta live among other things...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Do you live near there? We have a remote worker who lives in Zaragoza and I think next year I'll probably visit him as part of taking the family to Spain. Want to see the Vuelta live among other things...

Kind of. My parents have been living near Sigüenza since they moved to my mother's hometown out in the boonies. Feel free to send me a PM if you need anything!

Started a strict low carb diet today, yesterday was my last hurrah of eating delicious carby foods.

Went to the local gastropub my GF and I really enjoy.

Had the short rib chili, perfect blend of smokey and spicy.

Also had the pub burger, melted cheddar, beer battered onion rings, chipotle mayo, served with twice fried duckfat fries.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Man, I should really get on that low carb train again :(

On separate news, I just got an Instant Pot inner pot as a replacement for the busted up "Chinese teflon" one that came with my programmable pot. For those curious, measures seem to be standard for this kind of appliances (I'm using the 5 litre model) and the quality is actually very nice.

The steel is well polished and while the sides are thin, the bottom has a thick tripple layer (ss-al-ss) for proper heat transfer. I'll cook some chicken tomorrow and see how it works compared to my crummy original one, but so far seems like a great replacement for any owner of a cheapy (but working) prommable pot who doesn't want to replace the entire thing once the inner vessel starts losing its coating.

snacknuts

we all knew her
The first thing I made in my Instant Pot was carnitas and I was very impressed by the quality of the sear you can get on it with the SS vessel.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I started the BBQ season yesterday with burgers. As a first, I tried to make the buns myself, but with a subpar result. They came out way too dense and compact for my taste.

zbarron

Looking good OnkelC. I too made burgers this week. Mine completely fell apart on the grill. I put meat straight from the package to the burger press you use and while they were super tender they didn't hold up at all. I think next time I might actually handle my meat for a little longer to help them hold their shape.

I also made ribs:
33528312361_1a0fb68b2d_b.jpg

giphy.gif

Juicy

Looking good OnkelC. I too made burgers this week. Mine completely fell apart on the grill. I put meat straight from the package to the burger press you use and while they were super tender they didn't hold up at all. I think next time I might actually handle my meat for a little longer to help them hold their shape.
You have to get the fat mixed in there or they won't stay together. I made burgers on the grill last night and it turned out really good. I even forgot to add salt and pepper to the patties, but they still tasted great.

I made a batch of grilled chicken first. Then I cooked the burgers over the coals because the heat wasn't as hot. It takes a little longer, but it creates a better patty. I toss the cheese on as soon as flip the burger to make sure it melts nicely.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

Strange, that is a problem I haven't encountered so far. I also use sheer ground beef , portion it with a burger press (about no pressure applied, just for shaping) and toss them on the grill.
Do you do any pre-prep on the grill itself? I usually apply a hint of oil to the grid before putting on the first patties to prevent the first batch from sticking.

Maybe you tried to turn them too early? If they stick to the grid, give them a couple more seconds to sear. they come loose eventually.

Strange, that is a problem I haven't encountered so far. I also use sheer ground beef , portion it with a burger press (about no pressure applied, just for shaping) and toss them on the grill.
Do you do any pre-prep on the grill itself? I usually apply a hint of oil to the grid before putting on the first patties to prevent the first batch from sticking.

Maybe you tried to turn them too early? If they stick to the grid, give them a couple more seconds to sear. they come loose eventually.
And don't put it directly over the flame either. You want two zones on your grill, a hot side and a warm side. I lay my patties along the edge of the coals. It also prevents flare ups when the fat drips because it's not going directly on the flame. If the coals are fresh and hot, I leave uncovered. If they're dying off a bit, I cover it to trap the heat. I also cover when I put the cheese on to melt it better.

zbarron

I used a decent amount of pressure. The only prep I do is lighting the charcoal, putting it in, closing the lid for a few minutes to preheat, then opening it back up and scraping the grates. I could try oiling but it wasn't really sticking to the grates too bad, it was more that they just weren't held together at all. It was beef I previously froze, and they seemed almost wet if that makes sense. Maybe I could try blotting the meat with a paper towel before I form them next time.

That's a very good possibility. I am known to play with my meat. I flip about every 45 seconds, so I'll try just a few flips next time.

And don't put it directly over the flame either. You want two zones on your grill, a hot side and a warm side. I lay my patties along the edge of the coals. It also prevents flare ups when the fat drips because it's not going directly on the flame. If the coals are fresh and hot, I leave uncovered. If they're dying off a bit, I cover it to trap the heat. I also cover when I put the cheese on to melt it better.
I use the Slow N Sear. All my grilling is two-zone.
28617118305_9cb9360507_b.jpg

I usually put it over the direct heat first to get a nice sear on the outside, and then move it over to the indirect side, close the lid, and let it come up to temp slowly. I could try a reverse sear.

The thing is this was the first time I've really had trouble with grilling burgers. Usually they come out great.

Edit: Did a bit of research and it was most likely using frozen beef. I didn't know you weren't supposed to do that.

I use previously frozen beef all the time. I've never had it too watery. If it seems more liquidy, you can always throw in some bread crumbs to absorb the moisture and hold it together. You won't really notice the difference in the patty. I try to start with cooler than room temp meat, but not fridge cold meat with my beef. It cooks better for me.

Stop playing with your food. Flip it once while cooking. I always reverse sear when I make hamburger patties or use red meat. It's too easy to get flare ups and char the outside when I put it on the heat side directly first. Chicken and pork I will sear first before putting it on indirect heat to cook through.

zbarron

Dinner was fun tonight. Inspired by beef wellington and shepherds pie.
That's clever. I never thought of that. How did you like it?

My dinner was somewhat similar.
33535767832_a21306df66_b.jpg

Southern fried chicken drumsticks, with home made mashed potatoes & beef gravy, and some canned green beans because I guess there should be a vegetable on this plate.

Skillet cooking, yeah, I'm a flipper too. The pan gets too hot all around and the splattering of grease. But on the grill, it's much easier to set it in the perfect spot between the heat and indirect heat side. I'm also not afraid to cook it with the lid on, which is like the third example of oven cooking it prior to searing it.

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives...s-should-you-flip-a-burger-while-cooking.html

zbarron

I made challah on Saturday. It turned out great but the top is a little dark. I learned that my oven runs 35*F hot. I also forgot to put on the poppy seeds ans sesame seeds I got just for this.
33544815642_5c09b3459d_b.jpg

Sunday morning and this morning I made challah french toast.
33316936180_390fc7b6d8_b.jpg

Now I have a full pint of egg whites in a mason jar that I need to figure out what to do with.

le-seb

Looks nice.
Now I have a full pint of egg whites in a mason jar that I need to figure out what to do with.
Chocolate mousse.
Meringues.
Îles flottantes.
Amaretti, langues de chat or financiers biscuits.
Macarons.
Marshmallows.
Tarte au citron meringuée.
Sponge cakes.

The world is yours.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
you'll need 250-300gr of Salmon
2 Cups of rice
2 table spoons soy-sauce
use more if you want it more salty
1-2 table spoons dashi broth or 1/3 tea spoon of dashi powder

add water until the "2 cups of rice" line in your rice cooker and let nature do it's work.

zbarron

I assume you would say that the Slow 'N Sear is worth its $100 price tag? Been thinking about getting one for smoking on my Weber.
Absolutely. Though if I could do it again I'd order the Slow 'N Sear Plus. It's $115 instead of $90 before shipping. I got mine a few weeks before the plus came out.

It's a really great product, and improved my smoking and my grilling. It's very efficient in it's fuel usage and much much easier to set than the snake method I was using previously. Plus the two zones are far more distinct.

If you have any questions about it let me know. Do you plan on smoking much? Have you ever smoked before?

snacknuts

we all knew her
Do you plan on smoking much? Have you ever smoked before?

I've never smoked anything before, but when I got a new grill last summer, I got a Weber kettle in the hopes of being able to do some smoking with it. I have not grilled very much at all, and my experience with charcoal is especially limited, but I loooove smoked stuff. I would like to start with some smaller stuff like ribs and chicken wings. I was talking to some friends a couple months ago about smoking a pork shoulder and one of them recommended blasting it with smoke for 90-120 minutes on the Weber, then wrapping it in foil and going low and slow in the oven for the remainder of the time. He suggested it would be pretty much identical in flavor to a full 8-10 hr smoke on the grill. I have concerns about effectively maintaining temperature control for that long. I saw a couple YouTube videos yesterday with the Slow 'N Sear for making the same items, but would welcome any tips.

zbarron

I've never smoked anything before, but when I got a new grill last summer, I got a Weber kettle in the hopes of being able to do some smoking with it. I have not grilled very much at all, and my experience with charcoal is especially limited, but I loooove smoked stuff. I would like to start with some smaller stuff like ribs and chicken wings. I was talking to some friends a couple months ago about smoking a pork shoulder and one of them recommended blasting it with smoke for 90-120 minutes on the Weber, then wrapping it in foil and going low and slow in the oven for the remainder of the time. He suggested it would be pretty much identical in flavor to a full 8-10 hr smoke on the grill. I have concerns about effectively maintaining temperature control for that long. I saw a couple YouTube videos yesterday with the Slow 'N Sear for making the same items, but would welcome any tips.
I'd start with a pork shoulder. It's the hardest BBQ to mess up. If your temperature fluctuates it'll still be good. If your smoker gets too hot, it'll stil turn out well, it's hard to oversmoke it, and if you undersmoke it it'll just lack much smoke flavor but will otherwise be fine. Just make sure you give yourself all day to cook it. Most of mine take around 12 hours.

I'd recommend doing a dry run first with no food in it to get yourself acquainted with temperature control using the vents. Next a pork butt. If you made a good pork butt try just about anything else, except for brisket which is temperamental.

Do you have a good thermometer? That'll help you more than the Slow 'N Sear. Don't use the one on the lid. I'd recommend one of these three.

Maverick ET-732

Weber iGrill Mini

iGrill 2 with meat shredder

The Maverick has better range and comes with 2 probes (one for smoker temp, one for meat temp), the iGrills connect to your phone via an app and produces a graph of your temp throughout the cook. I have an iGrill 2 with 4 probes (linked model comes with 2, mini only supports 1) and found the graphing very helpful when learning. If you're farther from your smoker and range is more of your concern the Maverick is a great choice.

I made burgers on the grill tonight.

They were juicy as can be, even though the coloring looks more done than they really were. Lately, I've been enjoying my burgers with just a sprinkle of salt and pepper on the top and some cheese.

I also made some party wings that were devoured.

Impotaku

Had a cooking/baking weekend so far. Made some apple roses & some takoyaki as i can never get enough of those little things.

7iF5Z6a.jpg

scDZW8o.jpg

mUVD2v3.jpg

lPMzyMW.jpg

yXsNXHs.jpg

zbarron

I made burgers on the grill tonight.

They were juicy as can be, even though the coloring looks more done than they really were. Lately, I've been enjoying my burgers with just a sprinkle of salt and pepper on the top and some cheese.

I also made some party wings that were devoured.
Looks awesome.

Had a cooking/baking weekend so far. Made some apple roses & some takoyaki as i can never get enough of those little things.
Very interesting. I've never had takoyaki. I just watched a youtube video to see how they
are made. I thought it would be like Aebleskiver, but it seems a different technique. You could probably make Aebleskiver in that pan, but I'd be afraid of ruining the non stick coating it looks like it has.

Nice work everybody

I thought it would be like Aebleskiver, but it seems a different technique. You could probably make Aebleskiver in that pan, but I'd be afraid of ruining the non stick coating it looks like it has.

It's funny, I had never really thought about the difference in takoyaki vs aebelskiver technique... you just mean a single half-sphere rotation for aebelskiver vs the quarter rotation and subsequent flipping for takyoaki? I just poked around the web to see if my way of making aebelskivers is canonical or not and there is, uh, a lot of arguing about technique there.

maxcriden

I just got my first ever non-charcoal grill and am setting it up for the first time. It is this grill:

http://www.coleman.com/roadtrip-lxe-propane-grill/2000020937NP.html

I have lots of newbie questions even after reading the manual.

I am planning on grilling on a wooden back porch. Please let me know if this is unsafe for some reason.

Once I install the 1 lb propane tank, do I have to remove it and store it somewhere when not cooking or cam I leave it attached to the grill?

I'm sure I will have more questions. Thanks all.

Oh, and any good ideas for mini red potatoes on the grill?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I always wanted to buy one of these grills
71IvtD4dCoL._SX425_.jpg

anyone here know if you can buy them in europe? I could import from amazon.co.jp...but the import would cost 60€ and I don't have that money>>

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Great stuff, everybody! Thanks for sharing.

I just got my first ever non-charcoal grill and am setting it up for the first time. It is this grill:

http://www.coleman.com/roadtrip-lxe-propane-grill/2000020937NP.html

I have lots of newbie questions even after reading the manual.

I am planning on grilling on a wooden back porch. Please let me know if this is unsafe for some reason.

Once I install the 1 lb propane tank, do I have to remove it and store it somewhere when not cooking or cam I leave it attached to the grill?

I'm sure I will have more questions. Thanks all.

Oh, and any good ideas for mini red potatoes on the grill?

Congratulations on the purchase!
As for safety concerns, I'd recommend buying a small fire extinguisher and storing it in a place not too close from the grill.
Re: propane bottle, stick to what the manufacturer of the grill recommends.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
After watching Goodfellas for the umpteenth time, I had to try Meatballs Spaghetti once. Was awesome.

I made the meatballs from beef, seared shallots and fresh garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper.
The sauce was three small cans of tomatoes, two large shallots, half a dozen of fresh garlic cloves, a second-long squeeze of ketchup and about 45 minutes of cooking time. The moment I started to boil the Spaghetti, I poured the meatballs from skillet into the sauce and added two handful of basil leaves.

Nordicus

Heh, looks like I got my dad to take out his 15+ years neglected cast iron skillet from the depths of his pantry.

It was sitting on his stove looking a lot less orange-brown when I came to see his new apartment.

Impotaku

Today was first attempt at taiyaki, wasn't a complete disaster but wasn't a super success either. Think i had the pan too hot as they kept sticking. Made some thick applesauce and mixed in a ton of cinnamon, didn't fancy eating anko as i'm not that keen on the stuff. Still for a first attempt they were edible.

zmITrr3.jpg

3fjlbyA.jpg

9jXT1AQ.jpg

Je1HDfN.jpg

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Today was first attempt at taiyaki, wasn't a complete disaster but wasn't a super success either. Think i had the pan too hot as they kept sticking. Made some thick applesauce and mixed in a ton of cinnamon, didn't fancy eating anko as i'm not that keen on the stuff. Still for a first attempt they were edible.

zmITrr3.jpg

3fjlbyA.jpg

9jXT1AQ.jpg

Je1HDfN.jpg

I hate you for owning this pan.

Top Bottom