• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a Beyond Two Souls re-release for the PS4 a likelihood?

Mort did mention it yeah. I also found this in the portfolio of a programmer:

Input code from Beyond for a DS4 controller. He removed it a day later after I first posted it. Probably got an angry call lol

I hope they can add some of the deleted chapters back for the re-release:

This is interesting, I didn't know this
If they release a 'director's cut' then I'd buy it as soon as I got a PS4

Beyond isn't for everyone but it's a pretty unique experience, I'd sooner rebuy that than any number of shooters or whatever.

Mort did mention it yeah. I also found this in the portfolio of a programmer:

Input code from Beyond for a DS4 controller. He removed it a day later after I first posted it. Probably got an angry call lol

I hope they can add some of the deleted chapters back for the re-release:

Do the guys at Quantic Dream actually comment their code in French? That strikes me as unprofessional.

1 million sold IIRC. pretty good considering it launched right before ps4 hit
1.5 million actually (as of March/April). Pretty good.

Only if there's an option to play through chronologically. I hated jumping around her life, it was dumb.
This would be nice.

Do the guys at Quantic Dream actually comment their code in French? That strikes me as unprofessional.
A couple of years ago everything seemed to be in French, as only people worked there that already lived in France for a long time. Now they have some talented people from overseas working there as well, so it seems like they slowly migrate to English as their working language. The spoken language in the office is still French though and Cage writes all his scripts in French first, then they get translated to English. This might change now though considering the other two writers are American.

Portugeezer

Porting a PS3 exclusive, that has no x86 codebase to work from, isn't as easy or cheap as a multiplatform port.
It just wouldn't be worth the millions it would probably cost.

Wasn't the E3 tech demo based off the same engine? Wasn't even optimised for PS4 yet it looked amazing. Beyond would be easy enough.

I don't think they'll port it, but if they did I would be interested as I didn't have a PS3 last gen. I think Sony realises this with TLOU Remastered.

I really don't see the point. There's not a positive enough buzz surrounding Beyond to justify a PS4 remaster. Hell, it's generally perceived as the team's worst game. I suppose it depends who's working on the port if it is happening, but QD shouldn't waste their time with a needless upgrade and should instead do their best to make amends with their next game.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt it. But maybe David Cage will bless us with the Cage Collection, combining Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy, Heavy Rain, Beyond, and even Omikron into one PS4 disc, allowing us to gratefully play his amazing masterpieces.

I really don't see the point. There's not a positive enough buzz surrounding Beyond to justify a PS4 remaster. Hell, it's generally perceived as the team's worst game. I suppose it depends who's working on the port if it is happening, but QD shouldn't waste their time with a needless upgrade and should instead do their best to make amends with their next game.
Looking at the OT most people seem to have enjoyed it, so I would say that comes down to opinion. Considering how bumpy and short (=rushed) Beyond's development was, I would say it turned out pretty fine. Maybe they want to improve on some things with the remaster:

The critical reception was polarized, even more so than Heavy Rain previously. It was « one of the most poignant and enthralling stories » (Digital Spy) but at the same time « it’s just plain boring » (Destructoïd). As a developer, it’s interesting to see this kind of debate among critics and journalists. From the players, however, we received a fantastic support. It’s a bit overwhelming and ease a bit the pain to see years of work « crushed » by some grades in a magazine.
However, despite the antagonism that this game created, they are some serious (and valid) concerns over the game. Each of them resonated with our own analysis.

The production phase of Beyond:TS started on the beginning of 2012. After an intense prototyping phase, we started working on the HUNTED scene which was used as a Vertical Slice (a snapshot of what was supposed to be the game, fully polished) and also as the first reveal of the game during E3 2012.
From this point, the rest of the ride was a bumpy one with many hours devoted to polishing this huge game (roughly 2 times the size of Heavy Rain in terms of complexity, various gameplay and overall project difficulty). And we had to do it with less time than HR

During these User tests and overall, during the development of Beyond:TS, we needed to make some big changes quite late.

Some scenes in BEYOND are more based on gameplay, so the work on our part was a bit heavier. Unfortunately, for reason from production delay to overall coherence, a part of these scenes didn’t make it to the final game.

It really should be noted that Beyond was produced in 3 years vs. Heavy Rain's 5 years.

A couple of years ago everything seemed to be in French, as only people worked there that already lived in France for a long time. Now they have some talented people from overseas working there as well, so it seems like they slowly migrate to English as their working language. The spoken language in the office is still French though and Cage writes all his scripts in French first, then they get translated to English. This might change now though considering the other two writers are American.

Thanks. Where do you get all that cool information? And who are the other writers?

By the way, I'm confused as to whether David Cage will have co-writers or not. In this interview he said:

Vous créez vos histoires à partir de thématiques personnelles : une récente paternité pour Heavy rain, la perte de proches pour Beyond Two souls… Pourriez-vous envisager de travailler avec un coscénariste ?

D.C. : L’écriture c’est ce qui me fascine le plus dans mon travail. Derrière j’assume le poste de réalisateur, je vais accompagner mes équipes pendant deux ou trois ans dans la création graphique, dans le travail des acteurs, dans la composition musicale, la mise en scène. L’écriture a quelque chose de très profond. Il y a une sorte de magie qui s’opère à ce moment-là où tu te retrouves à dire des choses que tu ne savais pas que tu avais en toi. Je suis en permanence à la découverte de qui je suis à travers l’écriture. Tout ce qui suit derrière, n’est pas forcément de la pure technique, mais plutôt de l’artisanat : c’est de l’expérience, du savoir-faire, des choses que tu apprends, que tu fais de mieux en mieux. On est dans le faire alors que l’écriture garde, pour moi, un côté inexplicable et magique. Je me verrai assez difficilement écrire avec quelqu’un, échanger des idées autour d’une table parce que l’écriture est un processus intime et personnel. J’ai besoin d’être tout seul, chez moi, de travailler 15 h par jour pendant des mois pour laisser parler cette voix.

I doubt it. But maybe David Cage will bless us with the Cage Collection, combining Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy, Heavy Rain, Beyond, and even Omikron into one PS4 disc, allowing us to gratefully play his amazing masterpieces.

I'd buy that day one. I never got the chance to try Omikron and I decided to hold off on playing Beyond because I've been hopeful for a PS4 port, but Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain were both great and I'd love to replay them, especially if they could throw a bit more polish onto Heavy Rain with the better hardware.

I never played the PS3 version so i will definitely try it, if they release it for $40. I don't think there is any DLC for it, unless they add extra stuff + more playtime like the missing content that was never made.

it's a pretty good game and i really loved the voice acting and storyline. dat willem dafoe, they should do a heavy rain/beyond ps4 1080p collection :)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I don't understand GAF's obsession with porting the entire last generation to PS4/Xbone.

I don't understand people's obsession with understanding that they don't have to buy if they don't want it.

Personally I want every last gen game on the PS4

Shin-Ra

Yes, if only so someone can make a 1920w version of this:

i7bmMHi62Rq5F.gif

Only if it has photo mode. Hell every PS4 game has to come with photo mode after Infamous SS.
It's already included in the debug menu like it was with Infamous. They should really just allow everyone to use it on PS4 yeah.

By the way, I'm confused as to whether David Cage will have co-writers or not. In this interview he said:
Either he doesn't want to spoil the announcement of the new writers at E3, or maybe they take on different projects. Maybe even different parts of the same project (Cage writing the basic script, the other two writing all the branching dialogue and general stuff). Cage doesn't really say it, but on Heavy Rain and Beyond he only wrote the plot and about half of the dialogue. The other half was written by someone else (former employee at QD) and some members of the team also provide their material (character thoughts in Heavy Rain, general scene writing in Beyond such as what the player can interact it).

I'd buy that day one. I never got the chance to try Omikron and I decided to hold off on playing Beyond because I've been hopeful for a PS4 port, but Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain were both great and I'd love to replay them, especially if they could throw a bit more polish onto Heavy Rain with the better hardware.
I'm pretty sure we will get an Omikron spiritual successor on PS4 actually. Their next game is sci-fi and they just hired an old gamedesigner back who worked on the first game and the cancelled sequel.

Heavy Rain + Beyond Two Souls double pack for $50 , i'd be tempted

otherwise i think that and GT6 will be first for PSnow , for those that missed it on the PS3

Do we know any specifics about their PS4 project? Yes dragonbane, I'm asking you xD
It's definitely going to be sci-fi, considering a props designer job posting on their website includes "Able to design realistic to sci-fi props". Also this was found by Superannuation: http://kotaku.com/5977750/quantic-d...xseeds-surprise-killer-game-and-other-secrets (a GAF insider with a pretty good track record regarding QD also said the PS4 game would be based on the Kara tech demo)

They hired the senior AI programmer who worked on Thief. Tasks include the programming of crowds and dynamic avoidance (such as people-vehicle). They are looking for a senior online programmer hinting at MP support (Omikron was supposed to have MP before it was dropped). A concept designer they hired is specifically focussed on designing original vehicles.

Beyond: Two Souls started as Project Infraworld, which was cancelled together with the Omikron sequel in 2003. Now they brought it back as Beyond. The Omikron sequel was never officially cancelled. Finally, they just hired a senior designer back who worked on the Omikron sequel and left the company in 2005. On his profile he says: "Back to the roots and working on an exciting project on PS4".

All of this is leading me to believe that we are getting a sci-fi Omikron spiritual successor on PS4 including themes from Kara and quite possibly set in an open world city.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Dragonbane, stop hyping me dammit. Director's Cut with extra content? Freaking awesome, I'm totally gonna get this.

Porting a PS3 exclusive, that has no x86 codebase to work from, isn't as easy or cheap as a multiplatform port.

I'm sure that ND won't port TLOU to PS4 because of this. Oh wait.

It has x86 codebase, right? I'm going to look like a total jackass now.

It's definitely going to be sci-fi, considering a props designer job posting on their website includes "Able to design realistic to sci-fi props". Also this was found by Superannuation: http://kotaku.com/5977750/quantic-d...xseeds-surprise-killer-game-and-other-secrets (a GAF insider with a pretty good track record regarding QD also said the PS4 game would be based on the Kara tech demo)

They hired the senior AI programmer who worked on Thief. Tasks include the programming of crowds and dynamic avoidance (such as people-vehicle). They are looking for a senior online programmer hinting at MP support (Omikron was supposed to have MP before it was dropped). A concept designer they hired is specifically focussed on designing original vehicles.

Beyond: Two Souls started as Project Infraworld, which was cancelled together with the Omikron sequel in 2003. Now they brought it back as Beyond. The Omikron sequel was never officially cancelled. Finally, they just hired a senior designer back who worked on the Omikron sequel and left the company in 2005. On his profile he says: "Back to the roots and working on an exciting project on PS4".

All of this is leading me to believe that we are getting a sci-fi Omikron spiritual successor on PS4 including themes from Kara and quite possibly set in an open world city.

Aww yiss
Bolded pleases me especially
post-14376-gPp1.gif

Thanks for the info :D

The addition of being able to lose would be nice, with an 'easy' difficulty for the way the game previously was.

What you mean?

The game is beeing played as various moments of Jodie's life... They can't let her die as a kid right after you just played a chapter with her as an adult...

That's why you can fail/game over/die in the game...
but only in the final chapter.
Not sure if this is a spoiler, so I tagged it.

I would be all over Beyond Two Souls getting a PS4 release.
I still haven't picked it up for PS3 and I likely won't until I know there is no hope of a PS4 version.

You're implying that they didn't develop on PC first then do good compiling and optimization on PS3.

It probably does have a x86 codebase

prag16

Banned
my theory is that both console manufacturers were preparing for the other to release their next gen consoles in late 2012/early 2013 and when neither bit they just decided to release their 2013 planned titles for the previous gen consoles and then capitalize on hd releases a year later. so you are going to see beyond, god of war ascension, gt6 etc... on ps4. this is tales from the rear but something i feel might have happened.

Those games were very clearly built ground-up for the gen 7 consoles. There's zero chance they started development on gen 8 and were shifted to gen 7. And there's almost zero chance they had a plan in place to shift those to gen 8 in the case of an accelerated launch schedule.

While I could be wrong, I also don't expect to see a ton of these "definitive editions" either.

Darknight

I'd buy it.

But they should include more content and make it so wheh Jodie takes a shower, you can pan the camera back and get a nice view since the character model is already good to go lol.

Midou

What you mean?

The game is beeing played as various moments of Jodie's life... They can't let her die as a kid right after you just played a chapter with her as an adult...

That's why you can fail/game over/die in the game...
but only in the final chapter.
Not sure if this is a spoiler, so I tagged it.

I just mean, you shoulden't be able to put the controller down and let the game win itself. At least some kind of 'wait that's not how it happened' then it jumps back to some checkpoint. To at least push players to interact with it.

I have a friend who's experience was completely ruined by this, and he enjoyed Heavy Rain. I'm not saying to adjust it for people like that, but some kind of failure system would be good.

I definitely wouldn't shut out the possibility, but I think financially Sony wouldn't be that interested since there's not as much demand for it, say compared to The Last of Us: Remastered for example.

Best plan for them would be to release it through PlayStation Now.

Hmm...think I'll replay Beyond soon...

Another thing that game did magnificently was it's music. There's a guy on youtube who ripped all the songs from the game, vast majority of which aren't on the score/soundtrack. I have it.

The Embassy section of the game had some great music.

leng jai

The game already looked ridiculously good. They could just simply make it 1080p and it would look fine as a PS4 game.

Caayn

With Quintic Dream behind it? Doubt it. If it does come out for the PS4, I'll only buy it if it has 16:9 support.

Also the option to play through the story in a chronological order would be nice, kinda missed that with the PS3 version.

This game was beyond terrible just as any David Cage game. Heavy Rain at least would make more sense as that actually sold pretty good and has multiple pathways and outcomes.

Top Bottom