• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is All Not Well at CD Projekt Red? (Trend in Glassdoor Reviews)

People's CDPR defence shields are going to take a beating today. Sad to see people rush to dismiss it as being false because it doesn't marry with their views of CDPR from being a consumer.

You guys acting like glassdoor is the gospel. I could go write an anonymous posting pretending to have worked there. Anyone could.

See the below and other remarks in the thread from people in the industry.

Glassdoor reviews are usually reliable, even taking in account disgruntled employees. Being in the industry those who know about it and take the time to write a nuanced entry have legitimate grievances.

You'd think people would have learned by now that it's idiotic to start picking up pitchforks based on anonymous sources on the Internet. That's not being a corporate apologist (hell, I don't even like The Witcher), that's just a basic understanding of the way the Internet works.

You'd think people would have learned by now that it's idiotic to start picking up pitchforks based on anonymous sources on the Internet. That's not being a corporate apologist (hell, I don't even like The Witcher), that's just a basic understanding of the way the Internet works.

This. There is certain part of GAF tha love to jump in the hatewagon, be it any kind of controversy or "controversy".

Poland is not the same as normal Western country. It is from the Soviet block, and that really messed their collective mind. Especially because they have always been ridiculously nationalistic (defender of Europe from Islam etc.). Imagine the humiliation, when your people has taught to think that you are the best of the best, and then comes first Germany and then you are left under Soviet rule. Those things pass down to new generations.

If you are a regular Joe from somewhere more civilized (yes, I think that is the right word) you are bound to get a pretty hard culture shock. I am sure that pay is lower for what you are used to also.

And of course they have millions of problems in the company after rapid growth. I was in a company that tripled their manforce in the course of few months and it was a shitshow. Too many new who don't understand how the company works and management is stretched so thin that they could snap. It is normal and if the company can get over that tough transition period with most of the old ones still sane and working for the company, great.

I don't envy nobody who goes to work for them. It is not an easy place.

And that sample size... Negative reviews always are the most plentiful.

Nah, it's not really like that. There are crunch times, sometimes serious. It's not unheard of to pull 80 hour weeks(I think it's fun though). Companies usually cater to us during those times to make life easier. I've never had a bad experience and don't recall people complaining on the regular.

Maybe different fields of work get treated differently.
Yeah I've heard EA and Ubisoft are quite good to work at too. Crunch is just part of game development and most people expect it, the problem is when you're payed poorly which from what I've heard is a common thing at CD projekt.

Nikodemos

CDPR sounds like a company which grew faster than its original corporate hierarchy was designed for, and suffers from efficiency issues due to lacking an accomodatory period.

In my opinion, the single biggest mistake a growing company can make is to keep growing.

Aces&Eights

"Sometimes paid sometimes not". This always blows me away. How can you work someone and then not pay them? If my boss did that to me I would take home some company equipment as compensation lol

boskee

"Sometimes paid sometimes not". This always blows me away. How can you work someone and then not pay them? If my boss did that to me I would take home some company equipment as compensation lol

That refers to overtime. The British companies I worked for also sometimes paid, sometimes not.

CloudWolf

You guys acting like glassdoor is the gospel. I could go write an anonymous posting pretending to have worked there. Anyone could.

It's funny how everyone is throwing this argument around as soon as it's about a loved company. I'm almost positive that if this was, for instance, EA being on blast on Glassdoor, people would be like: "Well, obviously, EA is evil".

Thing is, there have been stories about CD Projekt RED's issues since the release of The Witcher 1. I mean, it's not surprising, CD Projekt RED was a small company that suddenly and drastically grew in size, it wouldn't be the first time that the heads at such a company can't handle the sudden influx of workforce.

Tovarisc

It's funny how everyone is throwing this argument around as soon as it's about a loved company. I'm almost positive that if this was, for instance, EA being on blast on Glassdoor, people would be like: "Well, obviously, EA is evil".

Thing is, there have been stories about CD Projekt RED's issues since the release of The Witcher 1. I mean, it's not surprising, CD Projekt RED was a small company that suddenly and drastically grew in size, it wouldn't be the first time that the heads at such a company can't handle the sudden influx of workforce.

Well go back on replies and see people hand waving away Naughty Dog's Hell on Earth and Heaven crunch cycles because "at least they are open and proud about it". If I was very cynical I would say part of it is that GAF at large loooves ND games only second to From Software.

Will people talk about R*'s management issues and hellish crunch cycles when it comes time to praise RDR2 gameplay etc. after putting in few hours? Even when that also is somewhat widely known "feature" of working for R*.

Crunch in the industry is elephant in the room that people kinda do want talk about, but not really as it could mean things like stopping playing games of certain developers and/or publishers because of principle of the thing.

Recent headlines regarding CDPR has been really disappointing,on that note can Polish Gaf fill me in on whether CDPR is in bed with that asshole government or not?
I've read on Gaf that they got a fund from government for their projects and as a general rule of thumb in Central and Eastern Europe(especially in the case of an oppressive government),you won't get those kinds of grants unless you are publicly or privately backing them.

I’m studying IT in Poland, games are my passion. Being game creator would be a dream job for me. I can see CDP logo every day I go to work by train. I love their games but I will never work in game design (unless it is some small side indie project). Why? I did market research.

>>Next paragraph applies to gaming market as whole, not just CDP. I think this whole thing became bigger issue than it is – because CDP is such a gaming media darling – and they are (for good reason) one of GAF favorites<<

Lets face it - in game dev you earn less money than ‘normal’ programmer – working usually in java/C#/C++ - doing some web apps/solutions. Why? It’s not because it requires less skill. In fact I would argue it’s rather tough. What’s the reason for lower wages? Game dev is for many dream job, job that attracts enthusiasts.

Those enthusiasts don’t care if they are underpaid. From what I’ve heard at university – crunch time is real, and painful. Think overtime for half a year. Yeah… I think I’ll pass.

Oh – and about Poland as country – it’s not exactly Germany, but cmon. IT guys can earn a decent living here, especially when you take into consideration lower costs.

Bottom line – CDP games are great, but I’m gonna stick to my java classes and try to become ‘normal’ programmer.

tuxfool

Banned

Actually no. Who is this "everyone"?

You'll see exactly the same admonishments wherever Glassdoor is used as a primary source of information. Last time I recall, the exact statements for caution were levelled were when somebody started mining Glassdoor for info on Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Maligna

Banned

Case in point you can see people here claiming EA's positive rating is falsely inflated.

KillLaCam

Banned
30 is a really low amount of reviews too. Kinda seems like a situation where only dissatisfied ppl are giving reviews. I'd take it as a grain of salt for now.

fade_

30 is a really low amount of reviews too. Kinda seems like a situation where only dissatisfied ppl are giving reviews. I'd take it as a grain of salt for now.

Ya, definitely cannot draw firm conclusions from glassdoor. Who knows, it could just be 1 jaded employee? If true though it would be sad to see that the benefits from CDProjekt Red being the master of their own domain only extend to the consumers and not the employees.

chugen

DPj4t7z.png

cant argue with that, cdpr is shit

brian!

Corporate apologists in this thread are disgusting.

"It's pretty common AAA stuff, guys, move along...but remember to support them so they keep making games I like."

seriously
culture of blame is part and parcel of any tiered managment, this stuff isn't very hard to believe.

Garlador

052.gif

The sample size is a lot smaller, so I hope it's just a few disgruntled employees and not reflective of the whole company. Still, hope things improve.

We saw rumors exactly like this right before TW3 came out actually. I won't say they're false, I'll say more likely CDPR knows how to make good games regardless of what's going on behind the scenes.
Ah, the old “the game was good so who cares”.

Good working conditions should not preclude making a good product, and in many other industries you get both!

I wish people outside science, engineering and economic degrees would study statistics and probability, and those who study it would take it seriously, because 1 month of classes can show you the basics of what numbers to trust or not and how. Thats all ill say about another one of Gafs stupid threads.

Micha&#322; Jaworski;249548502 said:
Oh – and about Poland as country – it’s not exactly Germany, but cmon. IT guys can earn a decent living here, especially when you take into consideration lower costs.

Don´t mean to be rude or anything but what is considered decent pay in Poland might not be what people from other countries consider decent. Like if you are considering a job in Germany or Poland and both wages are "decent" for their respective country the real "value" of that money is probably much higher in Germany.

A decent pay in Poland does not provide the same vacation to Hawaii as a decent pay in Germany so to speak.

boskee

Recent headlines regarding CDPR has been really disappointing,on that note can Polish Gaf fill me in on whether CDPR is in bed with that asshole government or not?
I've read on Gaf that they got a fund from government for their projects and as a general rule of thumb in Central and Eastern Europe(especially in the case of an oppressive government),you won't get those kinds of grants unless you are publicly or privately backing them.

No, CDPR is not in bed with that asshole government, even tho one of their key employees is a brother of a Polish minister in that asshole government.

The funding it received came from the EU. The first Witcher makes fun of the current asshole government throughout the game with NPC chatter. It's a surprisingly political game. Iwinski (joint CEO) is also on record comparing the current asshole government to Trump, so yeah.

Com_Raven

I wish people outside science, engineering and economic degrees would study statistics and probability, and those who study it would take it seriously, because 1 month of classes can show you the basics of what numbers to trust or not and how. Thats all ill say about another one of Gafs stupid threads.

Funny that is exactly the same thing outside people said about the Glassdoor reviews of a company I previously worked at :p

Just for the record, I have no idea if these allegations regarding CDPR are true or not. i obviously hope they are not, as they make incredible games. Just pointing out that have seen this exact same defensive behavior of fans regarding Glassdoor before...

PnCIa

From what i remember there were rumors about the shitty situation a while ago. Seems to be true.
Such a shame really :-/

diaspora

AFAIK, Andrew Wilson is comparatively extremely well liked and approved of by EA staff compared to Riccitiello so I don't see how anyone could be surprised by his and EA's high rating in general.

boskee

Adam Kici&#324;ski, CD Projekt's CEO had this to say about the Glassdoor Reviews:

Zawsze uwa&#380;nie s&#322;uchamy co do powiedzenia o naszym studio maj&#261; pracownicy &#8211; zarówno obecni jak i byli. Czytali&#347;my te komentarze i zdecydowanie nie jeste&#347;my wobec nich oboj&#281;tni. Tworzenie gier o jakich marzymy wymaga nie tylko niesamowitych umiej&#281;tno&#347;ci, ale te&#380; pasji i zaanga&#380;owania naszego zespo&#322;u. W zwi&#261;zku z tym, naprawd&#281; wa&#380;ne jest dla nas, &#380;eby CD PROJEKT RED ca&#322;y czas stawa&#322; si&#281; coraz lepszym miejscem pracy i dlatego wszystkie uwagi s&#261; cenne &#8212; zarówno te dobre, jak i te krytyczne.

We always listen carefully to what our employees - both present and former - have to say about the studio. We have read these comments and are definitely not indifferent to them. Creating games that we dream of requires not only amazing skills, but also the passion and commitment of our team. Therefore, it is really important for us that the CD PROJEKT RED is constantly becoming a better place to work and therefore all the comments are valuable - both good and critical.

Source

takriel

Adam Kici&#324;ski, CD Projekt's CEO had this to say about the Glassdoor Reviews:

Zawsze uwa&#380;nie s&#322;uchamy co do powiedzenia o naszym studio maj&#261; pracownicy &#8211; zarówno obecni jak i byli. Czytali&#347;my te komentarze i zdecydowanie nie jeste&#347;my wobec nich oboj&#281;tni. Tworzenie gier o jakich marzymy wymaga nie tylko niesamowitych umiej&#281;tno&#347;ci, ale te&#380; pasji i zaanga&#380;owania naszego zespo&#322;u. W zwi&#261;zku z tym, naprawd&#281; wa&#380;ne jest dla nas, &#380;eby CD PROJEKT RED ca&#322;y czas stawa&#322; si&#281; coraz lepszym miejscem pracy i dlatego wszystkie uwagi s&#261; cenne &#8212; zarówno te dobre, jak i te krytyczne.

Source

So he's not denying the comments. Interesting.

Then again, this just reads as a standard PR response without much information.

PFD

Zawsze uwa&#380;nie s&#322;uchamy co do powiedzenia o naszym studio maj&#261; pracownicy – zarówno obecni jak i byli. Czytali&#347;my te komentarze i zdecydowanie nie jeste&#347;my wobec nich oboj&#281;tni. Tworzenie gier o jakich marzymy wymaga nie tylko niesamowitych umiej&#281;tno&#347;ci, ale te&#380; pasji i zaanga&#380;owania naszego zespo&#322;u. W zwi&#261;zku z tym, naprawd&#281; wa&#380;ne jest dla nas, &#380;eby CD PROJEKT RED ca&#322;y czas stawa&#322; si&#281; coraz lepszym miejscem pracy i dlatego wszystkie uwagi s&#261; cenne — zarówno te dobre, jak i te krytyczne.

Source

Happy to see he didn't just dismiss them.

DemWalls

So, I was checking my browsing history and I noticed the Glassdoor page I'd visited some time ago and again when this thread was created... there are a few new reviews and, as expected, they certainly don't make the situation any clearer. When there are reviews that make completely contrasting statements, which one should you believe?

Pros

- some folks were cool and talented, but usually they had quit soon..
- parking lot
- social events where ok

Cons

- really toxic, 'corpo' atmosphere where you have to watch out for what you say and to whom
- many people from management are unexperienced, it seems that the only reason they were promoted is that they knew someone from management before. All good people are leaving this company sooner or later.
- chaos in decision making process
- tons of your work and engagement will be lost, because things are started and ended in chaotic, thoughtless way
- micromanagement
- hard crunching times, which are direct consequences of the decision making process
- many people is afraid to take any responsibility( especially management guys ), so at the very end decisions are often made by regular workers, who simply have a hard deadline to achieve and cannot wait
- if anything fails( and fails a lot in this company ), 'the guilty' has to be found - obviously, he/she is always found among regular workers...
- work is generally boring and repetitive - most of the time you will spend on re-implementing things that were cancelled a few weeks later. You cannot simply use old stuff, because in the meantime most of the things has changed or are gone, because the general vision has changed, etc
- if you want to gain unique experience and learn something new - you won't find it there
- unfortunately, things are getting worse and worse with every month IMOShow Less

Advice to Management

Well, management is generally close-minded, so I won't waste my time on giving them any advices - they won't listen anyway.

Pros

I can agree with only few of the negative reviews placed on this portal and in most cases they are highly exaggerated and subjective.

- Management cares for its employees and seeks for the top talents in entire world.
- We are working on amazing project, building a spectacular piece of art.
- There are many benefits from company like Multi Sport card or private Health Care.
- Crunch hours are being highly rewarded and planned along with developers so if someone doesn't want to stay extra hours he does not need to.
- HR Team takes care of us being well integrated, there are many events sponsored by company.
- Standard of the office (especially in Kraków studio) is very high which improves the work comfort.
- People that you work with respect your opinions and treat you well no matter of your level of experience, gender or age.
- Our work is being appreciated by supervisors.
- Salaries are decent for polish standards.Show Less

Cons

- Directors take too much on their shoulders. It slows down the workflows.
- Your career depends a lot on your charisma.
- Some people like to complain just for sport and spread rumors which shouldn't be accepted by higher management since it affects team spirit.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work :)

Pros

- they make amazing games, best of the best
- really professional atmosphere, corporate-like, not emotional, like in some other places. There will be no situation where somebody will yell at you etc. This happens a lot in smaller firms.
- overtime WAS paid and it WAS voluntary. You could say "no".
- parking space, cantina, quite nice office

Cons

- nice office, though very crowded
- low salaries. Junior workers earning very, very little, way below industry standard in Poland, senior workers earning 70% of what they can get in other AAA Polish studios. Generally people work there for the project despite the salary.
- because there is so many people, you don't feel like the project is "yours". You are just the guy who textured jackets of peasants, or animated 3 monsters and a siege tower. And then somebody else took those and tweaked them more, so your original work is not even really in the final game.Show Less

Advice to Management

Not really, at the time I worked there it seemed they are doing whatever they can in those conditions (giant company, giant project, small budget in comparison to, for example, Destiny or GTAV)

Pros

-Nice parking
-Free gym card
-Good for your cv

Cons

-Chaos!
-Managment is incompetent
-Fake goals
-Lies
-Low salarys

Advice to Management

Stop to waste people time!

Glix

I'd love to hear J Schreier's thoughts. It didn't sound bad to that level in the Witcher 3 chapter in the book. Although the "lack of planning" and "too big too fast" were somewhat apparent.

I think people with negative views are more likely to write these reviews.

So if the split is 50 /50 let's say, then I would assume the reality of the working environment would skew more towards the positive.

Just my take, obviously.

DemWalls

I think people with negative views are more likely to write these reviews.

So if the split is 50 /50 let's say, then I would assume the reality of the working environment would skew more towards the positive.

Just my take, obviously.

Besides, I also noticed that there are cases such as that of Peter Gelencser - a known face, since he presented TW 3 at various events - who's recently returned after having left (for Ubisoft, coincidentally). I suppose he wouldn't have, if working at CDPR was objectively so terrible. Or maybe it's homesickness? Though he's Hungarian, not Poilsh.

Koozek

People are surprised that the only way CDPR can make their massive games is because they crunch from the start of production? Wow, who knew /s. It's almost as rich as "who trusts glassdoor, bro". Simple fact is that game devs, QA, artists ect all over are treated like shit, and they make great sacrifices to get these games out. It's disgusting, but until there's proper representation for them, nothing will change.

There's a joke in the Polish game dev community that almost every game dev in Poland would have worked on the Wither, because of their crazy staff turnover. Hell, some people just join CDPR for a few months to boost their CV, then leave because it's a nightmare job. They can make similar if not more money doing something that will actually let them have a life outside work.

People should watch the "crunch" part of this fantastic Polish documentary about W1
, or read about the talk that was given at Polcon 2013 about CDPR work environment.
Thanks again for sharing that Polish documentary on The Witcher 1. Watched it last night, really interesting.

Humdinger

Basing conclusions on 30 people's input is not intelligent. Other points of comparison have response rates in the hundreds or over a thousand. Let's get a bigger sample before drawing conclusions.

boskee

Besides, I also noticed that there are cases such as that of Peter Gelencser - a known face, since he presented TW 3 at various events - who's recently returned after having left (for Ubisoft, coincidentally). I suppose he wouldn't have, if working at CDPR was objectively so terrible. Or maybe it's homesickness? Though he's Hungarian, not Poilsh.

Wow, I had no idea Peter Gelencser returned. That's great.

Another notable person who moved to CD Projekt is Michal Madej - who was a Creative Director @ Ubisoft.

Really hope there are no troubles there. CDPR is among my favorite developers right now. And I cannot wait to see what Cyberpunk is like. Problems can definitely put a delay to that.

Top Bottom