• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Aloy a Mary Sue?

Is Aloy a Mary Sue

• Total voters

hyperbertha

Lord where to even begin with this.

1: "No real flaws" From the very beginning of the game you see she has anger issues. Her obsession with learning about who her mother takes precedent on building any kind of relationship with anyone else. maybe not serious flaws, but damn nowhere was it ever implied that she is perfect.

2: "Extreme physical prowess, that surpasses everybody else due to genetics apparently" Where the hell you deduce this from? There was a training montage, where yeah only a few minutes if you did the math she was training for OVER TEN YEARS. Nothing about that at all is genetics that's hard damn work to get to where she was.

3: "Overflowing with love and compassion for everybody else, " This is a bad thing? As soon as she became a seeker, Teersa said "no doubt there will be people in need of help" In essence helping people was part of the job.

4: "Is hit on constantly by male characters. Never has to earn anybody's attention." Technically she was only hit one by Erend. Avad felt it was dutiful to have a replacement for Erasa. Aloy, basically hit on Varl, not the other way around. And Nil, was Nil. So no, you're off on that one as well.

Lastly

5: "So is Aloy a believable character dear gaffing boys and girls" Let's see Horizon is a franchise that takes place a thousand years in the future where after an apocalypse created by robots that ate people and plants as food, where primitive people rebuild society while dealing with robot animals and dinosaurs. What the hell about any of that is believable? What most normal people do is check reality at the door and not bring our everyday crap into it and have fun few hours.

1. Her anger always leads her to positive outcomes though. Its not like it negatively impacts her in any way.

2. But aren't everybody else training like her from a young age too? With better support?

3. Its not a bad thing per se, but she seems overly compassionate for someone for the level of stress she currently has going on in her life. Like she could be in life threatening danger and she is still a selfless mother teresa. It doesn't stamp her as a mary sue but just one of the things that when added up with others can convincingly paint her as one in my opinion.

4.When did Aloy hit on varl? And Avad just offering her role of queen was too forced imo.

5. That's not how writing works. GRR Martin is acclaimed for believable non Mary sue characters. Is his setting with dragons flying around and Ice walls believable? You can have fantasy settings but as a writer your fundamental role is to create believable characters, no matter what the setting is.

MMaRsu

Banned
9Bb.gif

There's definitely a little bit of "only you can help us" stuff going on, but as in most hero roles in games we love to play, it works well. I don't think being an insufferable moron that can't run 10 feet without cramping up makes them an interesting character to play as.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
All the talk about Forbidden West these days have gotten me thinking
zxRNseR.jpg
more about my 70 plus hours with the original game and how, despite my enjoyment of it, I couldn't find myself relating to most characters in the game, especially Aloy.

Reasons why she can be a Mary sue:

- No real flaws. Nada. Tendency to get angry
AxdiGyP.jpg
but whenever she is angry she turns out to be right, proving to be wiser than even experienced rulers far older than her.

- Extreme physical prowess, that surpasses everybody else due to genetics apparently, despite a training environment inferior to other hunters who had way more resources and help to train with.

- Is hit on constantly by male characters. Never has to earn anybody's attention.
- Overflowing with love and compassion for everybody else, and goes out of her way to show concerned facial expressions in every darn cinematic.
AxtFvlv.jpg

- Does not ever fail meaningfully. Never has to learn a lesson. She teaches everybody else lessons. People older than her usually. Succeeds at every endeavor she undertakes with no meaningful effort from her part to improve.

- Social skills rivaling a politician, despite being a wildling for a lifetime.

So is Aloy a believable character dear gaffing boys and girls?

She's only weak in his presence. Fooled her and mind-controlled her imo.

horizon-character-art-sylens-ingame-4.jpg

Last edited:
The formatting of your post sucks OP:

shaking get it together GIF

Imagine you were reading a book and it just had an image inline, that would be mental.

This thread reeks of an empty shell argument and thought, existing merely as a conductor to post more fat Aloy pictures. It was done on purpose.

Woggleman

Most protagonists in open world games are sort of Mary Sue like with the way only you can help random people too dumb to solve their own problems. You see this in GOT and RDR2 as well.

I don't know if she was hitting on him but Aloy tries to bring Varl into one of the areas behind the doors and bring him into her world and you can see the disappointment when he doesn't want to go.

Ulysses 31

5: "So is Aloy a believable character dear gaffing boys and girls" Let's see Horizon is a franchise that takes place a thousand years in the future where after an apocalypse created by robots that eat people and plants as food, primitive people rebuild society while dealing with robot animals and dinosaurs. What the hell about any of that is believeable? What most normal people do is check reality at the door and not bring our every crap into it and have fun few hours.
Story telling through gaming has become a lot more serious(God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU1/2). To be taken more serious stories do require a certain level believability, i.e. having characters behaving logically consistant in the world that's set up.

I'd doubt you'd wouldn't scratch your head if any of the protagonists in aforementioned games could suddenly fly in one instance and it never gets brought up again in the rest of the game.

You can leave reality at the door, doens't mean you always have to turn your brain off and swallow whatever games throw your way.

With your attitude, how would you differentiate between levels of story/character writing? If you don't care about game stories, that's a different subject. Games with bad stories can still be enjoyable enough to play just as badly written movies can still be enjoyable to watch.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In the first game I found her to be very dull but my biggest problem with HZ is the way they try to make her capable is make everyone else dumb as fuck so by comparison she is super smart, especially when it comes to male casts in HZ.

Nickolaidas

All the talk about Forbidden West these days have gotten me thinking
zxRNseR.jpg
more about my 70 plus hours with the original game and how, despite my enjoyment of it, I couldn't find myself relating to most characters in the game, especially Aloy.

Reasons why she can be a Mary sue:

- No real flaws. Nada. Tendency to get angry
AxdiGyP.jpg
but whenever she is angry she turns out to be right, proving to be wiser than even experienced rulers far older than her.

- Extreme physical prowess, that surpasses everybody else due to genetics apparently, despite a training environment inferior to other hunters who had way more resources and help to train with.

- Is hit on constantly by male characters. Never has to earn anybody's attention.
- Overflowing with love and compassion for everybody else, and goes out of her way to show concerned facial expressions in every darn cinematic.
AxtFvlv.jpg

- Does not ever fail meaningfully. Never has to learn a lesson. She teaches everybody else lessons. People older than her usually. Succeeds at every endeavor she undertakes with no meaningful effort from her part to improve.

- Social skills rivaling a politician, despite being a wildling for a lifetime.

So is Aloy a believable character dear gaffing boys and girls?
To add to the pile ...

- Her mother was also a Mary Sue - the only one who presented a solution to an apocalyptic problem caused by a man.

- Did not need to have a father. She's created based on a woman's genes only.

- The people who dared to wrong her literally throw themselves at her feet and beg for her forgiveness for daring to question her.

- She's incorruptible and possesses a flawless moral compass.

I hate modern writing. I hate the need for writers thinking that making a Mary Sue is the only way to make a strong female character. Makes me appreciate characters like Doctor Aphra a whole lot more.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Most game protagonists are.
Fake fat Aloy screenshots totally show your bias. Another shitpost.
This is the correct answer. You don't spend a lifetime learning new skills and abilities. Why? Because that would be incredibly boring. The skill tree is the gaming version of the training montage. So no, I wouldn't say she's a any more of a Mary Sue than any other game lead.

hyperbertha

You know these type of threads are the reason other forums laugh at Neogaf right?
No? It doesn't get any more game discussioney than this... unless you are so insecure you can't take anyone slightly criticizing the writing in your favorite game of choice, which is what most negative whining posts in this thread basically amount to.

''Who cares about believability its a fantasy game.'' That's not how it works if you cared even a teeny bit about storytelling in games. I'm a ps fan but I don't stan for badly written games on my preferred platform.

To add to the pile ...

- Her mother was also a Mary Sue - the only one who presented a solution to an apocalyptic problem caused by a man.

- Did not need to have a father. She's created based on a woman's genes only.

- The people who dared to wrong her literally throw themselves at her feet and beg for her forgiveness for daring to question her.

- She's incorruptible and possesses a flawless moral compass.

I hate modern writing. I hate the need for writers thinking that making a Mary Sue is the only way to make a strong female character. Makes me appreciate characters like Doctor Aphra a whole lot more.

You know thinking about it(minus sony male character leads since i havent played those games), every single male character lead i can think of has flaws. But maybe that is the kind of character i like to play, the broken male hero archetype.

1. Her anger always leads her to positive outcomes though. Its not like it negatively impacts her in any way.

2. But aren't everybody else training like her from a young age too? With better support?

3. Its not a bad thing per se, but she seems overly compassionate for someone for the level of stress she currently has going on in her life. Like she could be in life threatening danger and she is still a selfless mother teresa. It doesn't stamp her as a mary sue but just one of the things that when added up with others can convincingly paint her as one in my opinion.

4.When did Aloy hit on varl? And Avad just offering her role of queen was too forced imo.

5. That's not how writing works. GRR Martin is acclaimed for believable non Mary sue characters. Is his setting with dragons flying around and Ice walls believable? You can have fantasy settings but as a writer your fundamental role is to create believable characters, no matter what the setting is.
1. If that is the case Sylens would not have repeatedly checked her on her whining and complaining. Again she's not perfect and nowhere was that implied.

2. Apparently not Teb, as well as others like Karst people who run shops things like that.

3. No it doesn't. It's called the high road. Remember the scene where Sylens said Elizabet was better than those around her. This is Aloy doing the same, not be bitter by being shunned but doing her part to help in spite of it. A line literally said later with "Aloy despite the Nora" It's what any of us would have to do to function in this society. Rise above it all and be productive.

4. When she told him she would like to show him some of the things she saw. She doesn't make the same offer to anyone else.

5. Are you really comparing the writing from a video game to George RR Martin? I'd bet dollars to donuts that the first thing Guerilla said and coming up with the game is, you know what would be cool if we made a game about robot dinosaurs, not whether or not the main protagonist is a perfect unstoppable badass.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Is the Doom Slayer a Henry Sue ? How much stupider GAF can be with those troll/insecure threads ?
Bad example. Doom Slayer starts out in captivity, indicating he failed. He isn't charming anyone into helping him. Has to earn his power ups and new weapons through combat. Gets duped at the end of Doom 2016, another failure.

How will they handle her 'abilities' in the new game? Will we start as if she was bonked on the head and forgot all the upgrades from the first game? Or will we get to carry over the character from the first game and build up from there?

j0hnnix

when a company trying to hit all check marks for 2021, I was actually surprised they kept Alloy cisgender. it could change.

Top Bottom