• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Animal Crossing: Welcome Amiibo worth a revisit?

Gradon

Hey all, I've recently dipped into the habit of collecting Amiibo cards for the Villagers that I adore, so far I'm at 9 and I plan to buy more... Then I realised I don't actually use them and could get my moneys worth.

I haven't touched Animal Crossing for about 4 years, I played it religiously each day for over a year when it came out. I eventually did everything I could do and stopped playing it as it got too monotone / boring after 200+ hours.

Then the new amiibo update came out last year and I haven't bothered to check into it. I heard there are Splatoon and Zelda villagers and that interests me a lot. The only issue is I've moved onto my Switch for portable gaming and I only have an Old 3DS so would need to buy an NFC reader.

Is the new update worth jumping back to my Old 3DS to get a NFC reader and back into AC for?

My only other worry is if I do all of this and then Nintendo announce and Animal Crossing for the Switch, I also don't want to burn myself out of Animal Crossing again for 3-4 years if that becomes a reality.

Thoughts?

When the update came out, I personally only wanted to check the in-game 3DS and Wii U items, for Puzzle League and that one amiibo Festival minigame. The new furniture and minigames were actually pretty fun, but to be honest, the update only kept my attention for about a week. Take that what you will.

As the poster above has stated, if you put a lot of time into the original version, this only adds a few fairly superficial improvements.

piggychan

there's mobile app coming too...

I had brief fun with the update but then I been playing AC since gamecube days and the ACNL version I've put about 3 years and about 1000+ hours into it. Still there are loads of new stuff to collect and new villagers to invite into your home. if you can find a wii u and 3DS you can unlock some mini games too and win more stuff to collect.

When the switch came out I traded in my 3DS so now awaiting an AC game for that..

We have a Discord AC chat but it's small clandestine group..

My AC junk....
iq0LhNL.jpg

I would say yes but I'd kind of always say AC is worth jumping back in and checking out, no content or no lol. I like how it gives you some daily objectives if you wish to partake, the Amiibo Festival mini games are as good as they were on Wii U, the camper van stuf fis fun. Sure, why not :)

kunonabi

Its been a hit at every gathering ive had with it. Its not as amazing as it could have been but we still liked it.

nickerous

I loved it. I got so caught up in it that I bought every amiibo and just finished collecting every amiibo card except for two promo cards released only in Japan.

I was obsessed with getting every villager's picture in game. The new update added a bunch more of those, so I had to have them. Never did finish getting all the furniture, but that is a lot. I'll go back at some point...unless a Switch AC comes out in the next few months.

Gradon

As the poster above has stated, if you put a lot of time into the original version, this only adds a few fairly superficial improvements.

That's a shame, I can see myself getting burned out again if I jump back in. I just hope if they make a new Animal Crossing they allow the amiibo cards to work or I'm preparing for nothing 😂

I had brief fun with the update but then I been playing AC since gamecube days and the ACNL version I've put about 3 years and about 1000+ hours into it. Still there are loads of new stuff to collect and new villagers to invite into your home. if you can find a wii u and 3DS you can unlock some mini games too and win more stuff to collect.

We have a Discord AC chat but it's small clandestine group..

Man you've been super into it! Love your collection; my only issue with the mini games is that I've got them on Amiibo festival already, so they wouldn't be new content for me.
Id love to join that AC Discord at some point (though I'm not very active on Discord ATM) as it'll be perfect for the mobile game and if Nintendo do a Switch game.

I loved it. I got so caught up in it that I bought every amiibo and just finished collecting every amiibo card except for two promo cards released only in Japan.

I've never been a huge fan of collectathon trading cards and badges and stuff so I'm not quite that determined 😂 I've been aiming for the villagers I already have and my favourites. Getting a Marshal card is a pain in the ass though especially as the UK packs are only 3 cards instead of 6 for roughly the same price. 😶

Koren

We have a Discord AC chat but it's small clandestine group...
What?

I entered here out of curiosity, and I learn something I would have liked to know sooner...

Granted, I don't visit the AC thread anymore because I lack time to visit my town, and it's so far in the past that I would have issues visiting others or hosting visits. Also, I dread the moment my SD card will be corrupted and I'll lose everything (I SO want a backup feature) that I avoid touching the 3DS with my AC game as much as I can...

Top Bottom