• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Baskin Robbins good ice cream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Find a local/regional place to hit the next level. There's a Meolas near me that has ice cream that's creamy as all fucking hell

Alex

Not poor, just average. Too average for the price.

In my opinion they're about par with some of the better store branded ice cream. This isn't a slight though as some of those brands make genuinely decent stuff nowadays.

SoulUnison

Banned
It's pretty generic ice cream, but they occasionally have flavors you can't really find anywhere else, so there's that novelty.

Like, they used to have a watermelon sherbet with, I think, licorice or possibly just sprinkle "seeds" in it.

God, I wish you could just get that in a grocery store.

jbug617

Banned
logo.png

How dare you. Have you never been in a bodega before?!

I like their vanilla and orange cream.

clav

People like Cold Stone?

Go support your local family-owned ice cream parlor (non-chain) if you need a comparison.

Tetra-9

It's pretty generic ice cream, but they occasionally have flavors you can't really find anywhere else, so there's that novelty.

Like, they used to have a watermelon sherbet with, I think, licorice or possibly just sprinkle "seeds" in it.

God, I wish you could just get that in a grocery store.

Their watermelon ice cream is the bomb! And yeah it has "seeds" that are some sort of sugary wax. Just a fun ice cream.

Persona7

Banned
It's ok. The ice cream cakes they have are pretty good too. I prefer cold stone though because of the cheesecake flavor they have that is way better.

No.

All ice cream is good, but baskin robbins is not good on the ice cream scale.

Slightly worse. Haagen Dazs is good for supermarket ice cream.

Haagen Dazs is 16% butterfat, which is a considerable step up from almost all supermarket ice cream (~10% butterfat). Ben and Jerry's is 14%.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I grew up loving soft serve more than scooped ice cream. When I found out that soft serve is apparently "cheap" ice cream, I thought to myself, "man, I clearly don't know what I'm talking about."

Dennis

Banned
OK, this thread put me in a mood for ice cream?

What is the very best ice cream that you can get in America?

Don't care about cost or availability. What is the best of the best?

kmfdmpig

So what's the best store-bought? Don't say Blue Bunny, either.

Reasonably priced - Tillamook, for me, is hands down the best.

More expensive - Talenti, Ben + Jerrys, and Haagen Daas are all good.

Better still are the smaller makers like Graeters or local makers (typically regionally sold, so no point in listing specifics if you live in another part of the country).

Here's a good ice cream review site:
http://www.onsecondscoop.com/

I really enjoy it. Great treat especially in summer when it is so hot. Plus (this is re their choc chip cookie dough) it is really creamy and sweet, and very well balanced.

kmfdmpig

Ice cream is ice cream. It's all sugar filled and bad for you, and taste great. We got ice cream snobs now lol jeez.

Couldn't you make the same argument about anything though? Steak is steak. Burgers are burgers. Beer is beer, etc.., but for each isn't it easy to see that there are differences. A prime ribeye is obviously better than a choice sirloin. An in-n-out burger is obviously better than a McDonalds burger.

It's not snobby to recognize that there are levels of quality within any given food category. I don't see anyone in their thread looking down their nose at people who like Breyers or Blue Bunny in here.

So what's the best store-bought? Don't say Blue Bunny, either.

The best way of judging the quality of a store bought ice cream is leaving it out and watching how the ice cream behaves as it melts. The stuff that holds up and keeps it shape is full of stabilizers and over run (over run in ice cream is the amount of air incorporated into ice cream) and is not high quality ice cream. The best store bought brands are Ben & Jerry's and Haagen-Dazs. America's Test Kitchen actually had a great segment comparing store bought ice cream brands in which those 2 brands were rated far superior to all others. There's a reason people can eat large amounts of garbage ice cream like Edy's and not feel like absolute shit afterwards - because when you eat Edy's you're basically eating air and stabilizers. If you eat high quality ice cream like Haagen-Dazs you can't eat as much of it as the cheap stuff because you're eating less air and more cream, making it more filling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom