• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Baskin Robbins good ice cream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apt101

Do you like Cold Stone Creamery? Baskin Robbins is about twenty five levels beneath that. Better to just buy your own from the market.

golem

Baskin is fine for a chain and I like it better than Coldstone, but I bet there is a mom and pop shop nearby that is making stuff 100x better

BR is absolutely quality...for what it is.

It's not supposed to be top tier and it isn't priced that way but those are good people doing good work. I would never turn down a BR cone but I probably wouldn't go seek one out.

nomster

Reasonably priced - Tillamook, for me, is hands down the best.

More expensive - Talenti, Ben + Jerrys, and Haagen Daas are all good.

Better still are the smaller makers like Graeters or local makers (typically regionally sold, so no point in listing specifics if you live in another part of the country).

Here's a good ice cream review site:
http://www.onsecondscoop.com/
Recently discovered Tillamookies ... homer drool.gif

depends on what you're looking for. I'm not a big Cold Stone fan because I hate having ice cream loaded with a bunch of toppings. I'm more of a plain sherbet kind of guy and love Baskin Robbin's Wild n Reckless sherbet. Of course taste varies.

Good call. Wild 'n Reckless sherbet is so damn good.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Yes, but I'm not sure if I've ever had bad ice cream, unless I really hated the flavor. Ice Cream is apparently pretty hard to fuck up.

WaterAstro

The only thing I know about Baskin Robbins is that the heir to the fortune, John Robbins, denied his place to lead this Ice Cream dynasty in order to teach America about better nutrition. He has a video that has extreme vegan views, which I don't follow, but I respect his views when taken in a lesser extent.

marzlapin

Which Ice Cream do you prefer to buy from stores?

Häagen-Dazs or Ben and Jerry, or do you know of better alternatives?

I think Häagen-Dazs is probably the most consistent readily available store ice cream brand, quality-wise. I've never had a flavor of theirs that wasn't good. Ben and Jerry's and Talenti have some good flavors and some underwhelming ones.

Peru

Best mainstream store-bought brand is obv

03828_Multiple_Packs.jpg

Do you like Cold Stone Creamery? Baskin Robbins is about twenty five levels beneath that. Better to just buy your own from the market.

Not according to Consumer Reports. Cold Stone Creamery is rated the absolute bottom of the pile. Their ice cream is shit, but all the mixings mask the shittiness.

vern

Best ice cream. Has big chunks of the cookies of whatever flavor you choose, also had great texture unlike cold stone which is basically rubber. And Haagen Dazs is like 8 bucks here for a scoop so not even worth trying.

Brannon

31 flavors; SOMETHING has to hit the mark. But on average, meh. Can do better elsewhere unless you're just so hot you need on right the fuck now.

But then, a Costco gelato fills that gap better for cheaper.

213372bu

Banned
Taste: eh. It can get good sometimes.
Literally everything else that makes ice cream great: No.

Might as well get your ice cream from a supermarket tub in that sense.

Good ice cream for around the same price is pretty common.

yes, the vanilla one is great. i had forgotten how decent ice cream tasted until i took out my wisdom teeth and purchased some BR.

that said i stopped eating ice cream when they stopped selling rum raisin ice cream, the GOAT flavor (after so many years i broke my streak this year)

Machine

Used to be a BR near my home. I don't know about their ice cream but they made the best milkshakes of anyone within a 20 mile radius. I miss them just for that. I don't like fast food shakes or DQ shakes nearly as much. Yeah, I can make them at home but sometimes I don't feel like pulling out the blender, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom