• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IS bombing in Baghdad [Iraqi officials: 115 killed, 187 injured]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellz

A car bomb exploded near a restaurant and shopping area in the central district of Karrada late on Saturday.
The street was busy with shoppers after sundown in the holy month of Ramadan, which ends this week.
A second bomb exploded later in a predominantly Shia area north of the capital, killing another five people.

The bombings, among the deadliest in Iraq this year, come a week after Iraqi security forces recaptured the city of Falluja from Islamic State (IS) militants.
Authorities say the city was used as a launching pad for attacks on Baghdad by IS.

The jihadist group on Saturday claimed responsibility for the car bomb in Karrada in a statement distributed online by supporters of the hardline Sunni group.
There are reports the source of the blast was a refrigerator van packed with explosives.
Many of those killed in the attack, close to midnight, were children, Associated Press reported.
It caused a huge fire on the main street. Several buildings were badly damaged and were still on fire early on Sunday.
Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi visited the scene in the morning, and was met by angry crowds.
IS still controls large swathes of territory in the country's north and west, including Mosul, Iraq's second largest city.
But the group has been under pressure in Iraq and in neighbouring Syria, where it has been targeted by government forces and US-backed rebels.

This latest deadly attack took place in the central Karrada district before dawn, when Iraqis, like many Muslims in the Arab world, gather in large numbers in juice bars and cafes to have their meal before they start another day's fasting in the holy month of Ramadan.
Angry residents chased the convoy of the Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi with stones and bricks when he tried to visit the scene of the carnage few hours after the explosion.
The also vented their anger online. Hackers broke into the website of the Interior Ministry and placed a gruesome picture of a killed child and a drawing of a fake bomb detector
, one of the useless devices that are still in use in Baghdad at checkpoints, through which car bombs and suicide bombers pass.

source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36696568

Just horrible, RIP to everyone. Most people killed by IS are Muslims, but this is basically never mentioned in the West. Will be interesting to see if Facebook will launch a campaign like they did with Paris (99% sure they will not).

XBP

source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36696568

Just horrible, RIP to everyone. Most people killed by IS are Muslims, but this is basically never mentioned in the West. Will be interesting to see if Facebook will launch a campaign like they did with Paris (99% sure they will not).

Hundreds of people die in the middle east every week from terrorist attacks. You'll never see that happen for them. RIP to those who died in this attack. Absolutely tragic news.

Atolm

Man, it really seems there's a terrorist attack every day of the week now. This week were this one, Turkey, Bangladesh...

Awful news to hear. Not sure about recent prior years but Isis has been very active during Ramadan. Have genuine concern what they might do on Eid because they seem the type to target that date.

dc89

It's high time the world got together and wiped them out.
I know it's hard to eradicate a poisonous and warped ideology but Raqqa seems the best place to start.

i dont see any turkish flags on peoples facebook/twitter/instagram profile pics....

hm...where is the support for this country internet people? or now iraq for that matter.

Yamauchi

Banned
Will be interesting to see if Facebook will launch a campaign like they did with Paris (99% sure they will not).
These kind of statements make me physically ill because of their absurdity. Like it is wrong for an American company to pay more attention to to an attack in France, a country that has historically had very close ties to the USA, than in Iraq. Think of the stupidity of that. It's like saying someone is wrong for caring more about a tornado that hit in a neighboring county and destroyed their friend's grandma's house than a tornado that hit on the other side of the country.

Having said that, this is a depressing and devastating attack. Condolences to the victims and their families.

FZZ

Banned
ISIS attacks during Ramadan and especially so close to Eid are some of the most disgusting things they fucking do

RIP to all those affected

Muslims & non-Muslims

These kind of statements make me physically ill because of their absurdity. Like it is wrong for an American company to pay more attention to to an attack in France, a country that has historically had very close ties to the USA, than in Iraq. Think of the stupidity of that. It's like saying someone is wrong for caring more about a tornado that hit in a neighboring county and destroyed their friend's grandma's house than a tornado that hit on the other side of the country.

Having said that, this is a depressing and devastating attack. Condolences to the victims and their families.

Facebook userbase isn't just western Europeans. OP's point wouldn't make sense for something like complaining about news orgs and what they cover, but for Facebook which has a userbase of over a billion people? Yeah I can see people complaining.

Then again I do not use Facebook so it doesn't affect me.

mellz

Facebook is basically used all over the world with the exception of some countries.

orochi91

I'm dreading the potential carnage that may take place on Eid.

RIP to all the victims; it's been a tragic month so far...

You had to go there didn't you? Not enough to offer your condolences..

RIP.

Fuck off with this. If these types of threads aren't for criticism or discussion and only condolences, I'd rather they not exist. They're meaningless.

But no, just say "RIP" and move on with your life. Cool beans, mate.

Kiraly

All because a thousand years back some idiots couldn't agree on who the rightful heir was. Fuck religion. Rest in peace to the victims.

Baybars

Banned
This is why i said before iraq will never stabilise under abadi. Destroying fallujah to the ground won't keep baghdad safe. Iraq will never change as long as there is a vicious sectarian divide and continous blood letting on both sides.

Where's iyad allawi when you need him

RoadHazard

Gold Member
And yet more death at the hands of these evil demons. RIP.

Also, the reason people react more strongly when stuff like this happens in France than in Iraq is obviously that it happens all the time in the latter. It's like mass shootings in the US. As terrible as they are every time, they're not surprising. You basically think "sigh, another one", because they're so frequent. It's just something that happens every now and then, and will keep happening until something is truly done about it. Same with suicide bombers in Iraq.

Breads

Banned
What a shit time to live in where this is such a regular occurrence. My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

Someone mentioned a Bangladesh attack though. I haven't heard about it until right now. Christ.

EGM1966

The on-going impact of division between different segments of tribes and religions. Tragic and very, very annoying. Sadly so long as there's radical people with a worldview based on us/them who are willing to resort to such debase tactics such attacks will only continue.

This is one of my main objections to Brexit ironically (or any further division of social groups). We need a world state, not more devolution back to disparate groups prone to conflict. Religion remains a major barrier of course as does national patriotism.

Iraq certainly a rock of stability nowadays, huh. A case study for why Western intervention works so well.

ISIS should've never been coddled in the first place. This is always the type of thing that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom