• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IS bombing in Baghdad [Iraqi officials: 115 killed, 187 injured]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirap

That's a disgusting comment.

What the hell?

Never mind. Seems to be some verse muslims recite when people die.

However. Those people that died did not belong to Allah and is not returning to him. Those people are sadly dead and killed by senseless murderers.

Given that it's a quote from a book full of made up nonsense that made people commit this horrible act, I think it's highly inappropriate to use it.

Unbelievable..

All of them were human beings.

You must have misunderstood my point. Of course they're all human beings.

Frodo

Terrible news.

RIP.

I still don't get the reasoning behind attacks during Ramadan, though. Why would they do that?

Never mind. Seems to be some verse muslims recite when people die.

However. Those people that died did not belong to Allah and is not returning to him. Those people are dead and killed by senseless murderers.

Given that it's a quote from a book full of made up nonsense that made people commit this horrible act, I think it's highly inappropriate to use it.

You're both idiots.

RIP to the victims. No one deserves this and the majority of them being kids just makes it more sickening. I hope this shit will stop one day soon but not through the use of air strikes or something that cause more victims.

Jag

I still don't get the reasoning behind attacks during Ramadan, though. Why would they do that?

From Orlando to Bangladesh, A Blood-Soaked Ramadan - by Majid Nawaz

Whether the attack in Bangladesh was indeed ISIS matters only tactically. Before ISIS was ever conceived, jihadists from Hamas onwards have been declaring Ramadan a “month of Jihad” and escalating attacks. As with the murder of a 13 year old girl while she slept in her Israeli home, attacks in Ramadan have occurred before ISIS ever emerged, and will outlast ISIS as a group. What drives them is the global jihadist insurgency, for which ISIS is but the latest vanguard.

Apparently murdering innocents on Ramadan was a thing before ISIS.

Jumeira

Banned
Inna Lillahi wa inna ilaihi raji'un. RIP

Loss of human life to such sensless violence always hurts :(

I think your comment is highly inappropriate to the victims families that will find peace and solitude in these words and rituals to help endure their loss and overcome their grief. Also quite stupid of you to associate these acts with the victims as it's evidently worlds apart from what the perpetrators follow.

Sai-kun

Banned

Grow the fuck up. I know you're only 15, but shit like this isn't edgy or interesting commentary. You just out yourself as an idiot when you post garbage like this.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If I'm not mistaken sir, it sounds like you are associating everybody who practices the religion, with the murderers who also claim to be a part of it.

Hey now as an atheist even I can say you're being out of place so in not so polite terms you need to shut your fucking mouth. Have some respect.

We have users from the Middle East and that's the equivalent of us Americans saying RIP.

szaromir

Banned
Nice job insulting a majority of the people that were just murdered.
I did not insult anybody. I feel sorry for the victims and their families, I hope the wounded ones will be able to get back to health.

If I'm not mistaken sir, it sounds like you are associating everybody who practices the religion, with the murderers who also claim to be a part of it.
I am not associating all Muslims with terrorists by any means.

My initial comment was probably wrong/insensitive in that it was just his way of saying RIP. I still think that religion should be abolished and people should think twice about basing their life on religious texts when it leads to this.

Gorger

Reports are saying at least 131 murdered... I am out of words.. it's just horrendous. For how long is the Iraqi people going to suffer. What an utterly pointless tragedy this whole situation is.

I did not insult anybody. I feel sorry for the victims and their families, I hope the wounded ones will be able to get back to health.

My initial comment was probably wrong/insensitive in that it was just his way of saying RIP. I still think that religion should be abolished and people should think twice about basing their life on religious texts when it leads to this.
that's still being a little insensitive. people have the right to follow religion, that right should not be taken away from them.

that's still being a little insensitive. people have the right to follow religion, that right should not be taken away from them.

In agreement. People of faith should be entitled to having their faith and not being told to abandon it just as much as an atheist shouldn't be bombarded with religious talk. You would also find most of what these terrorist do is condemn in Islam so blaming the religion on that matter specially is unjust.

Regginator

That's a disgusting comment.

So wait, let me get this right, it's disgusting to use an Islamic/Arabic phrase that shows genuine sympathy to the Muslim victims that lost their lives... Whut? What you think about religion in general is irrelevant. This is how Muslim deal with death, so how is that even being inappropriate?

Somehow I doubt that, without religion, that the terrorists would just disappear; 1.6 billion muslims, vs the couple thousand who are not so nice: it must be because of religion. That doesn't make very much sense to me.

Betty

Banned
Somehow I doubt that, without religion, that the terrorists would just disappear; 1.6 billion muslims, vs the couple thousand who are not so nice: it must be because of religion. That doesn't make very much sense to me.

More like tens of thousands, plus those that simply support them, not even counting all the other terrorist groups like Al Qaeda, Al Shabab, Boko Haram, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

And religion does play a massive part in these attacks, you simply cannot convince so many people to blow themselves up or carry out a suicide mission without making them believe it's for a higher cause with the promise of a reward in the hereafter.

Jumeira

Banned

Makes you no better than those trying to force religion. Law abiding citizens are free to do what they want, what's right for you may not be for others. These victims will find comfort in thier belief as they reconcile with what's happened, a comfort noone else can offer, you should be thinking of them and not what you want.

More like tens of thousands, plus those that simply support them, not even counting all the other terrorist groups like Al Qaeda, Al Shabab, Boko Haram, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

And religion does play a massive part in these attacks, you simply cannot convince so many people to blow themselves up or carry out a suicide mission without making them believe it's for a higher cause with the promise of a reward in the hereafter.

Agree that it plays a role, but when most victims are Muslims it's clear they don't give a shit about who they kill and will twist any code they follow. They love death, and are, by default, horrible humans.

sikkinixx

Apparently Gaf will scream for tolerance, acceptance and the celebration of all things except for religion, which deserves only condescending scorn.

The crazy thing about ISIS is that there still doesn't feel like a truly global effort to stamp it out by any means necessary exists. It's not like "oh it's just a western problem", they wanna fuck with everyone. I know it's not being ignored but it really feels like attacks are becoming just something we live with. It's sad as hell.

Valhelm

contribute something
Man, it really seems there's a terrorist attack every day of the week now. This week were this one, Turkey, Bangladesh...

ISIS, as a state, is on its last legs. They have few soldiers left, and are being defeated on all sides by the Assad regime, the Kurdish revolutionaries, and even the Iraqi army.

To stay relevant, they've been focusing their energies on flashy acts of terrorism that keep them in the news and hopefully encourage disaffected Muslims across the world to terrorize secular governments.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Apparently Gaf will scream for tolerance, acceptance and the celebration of all things except for religion, which deserves only condescending scorn.

The crazy thing about ISIS is that there still doesn't feel like a truly global effort to stamp it out by any means necessary exists. It's not like "oh it's just a western problem", they wanna fuck with everyone. I know it's not being ignored but it really feels like attacks are becoming just something we live with. It's sad as hell.

What is there to do? I mean it's not like they wear uniforms. If there was some sort global effort they would melt away until forces leave only to come back later. I'm not sure what would work but military intervention would just make things worse for everyone at this point.

Damn. Rip to the victims

Sigh @ islamaphobia

Nothing wrong with that, same way people fear guns. If you fear guns after 500 people have lost their lives due to mass shootings in the past year here in the U.S then it's normal to fear Islam after over 10k people have been killed by a group who have declared to fight in the name of that religion.

Nothing wrong with that, same way people fear guns. If you fear guns after 500 people have lost their lives due to mass shootings in the past year here in the U.S then it's normal to fear Islam after over 10k people have been killed by a group who have declared to fight in the name of that religion.

then we should be scared to death by atheist. In the last century atheists have killed more people than anyone.

I hope people will stop trying to paint these as Islamic terrorists. These fuckers ain't Muslim.

Well everything they do is based and motivated by Islam, their own interpretation of it. We call Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons Christians, even though they interpret the Bible differently. ISIS are Muslims, who interpret the Quran differently.

Islamaphobia is of course silly.

Fear of radical Islam however is quite founded.

I agree with the distinction you've made but I find it hard to say these individuals are representive of Islam to be called radical Islam. Civilians, women and children have all been highlighted as wrong to attack as well as the fact violence should only be used in self defence. So by these two criteria alone I find it hard t say they Islamic enough to be called radical Islam.

Fuck off with this. If these types of threads aren't for criticism or discussion and only condolences, I'd rather they not exist. They're meaningless.

But no, just say "RIP" and move on with your life. Cool beans, mate.

I agree. Saying condolences on a message board to nobody who lost people in the said tragedy is pretty useless.

The point is to discuss the topic.

Breads

Banned

I don't believe in any religion either and yet I still use phrases that invoke God and Jesus Christ because they have specific meanings I wish to express in the context of my culture.

I'm sorry you have such a big chip on your shoulder towards religion but you aren't attacking religion when you say things like this. You are attacking people and how they chose to express their condolences and this is not the place for it.

I can't imagine living life thinking such stupid thoughts on a regular basis

You had to go there didn't you? Not enough to offer your condolences..

RIP.

Why not go there? When is there a better time to go there? Two weeks from now when nobody gives a shit, even less than they do now? Please..

Saying your condolences is fucking pointless because your say three letters and move on. Wishing better for these people is something far better and less mindless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom