• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IS bombing in Baghdad [Iraqi officials: 115 killed, 187 injured]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anion

Goddamn. The Middle East has been a shit show for as long as I can remember. Sadly, attacks over there are never surprising. People trying to compare this attack to attacks in the US, Brussels, and Paris are just looking to stir shit up.

You know it wasnt that long ago when people used to go to Afghanistan for ski vacations...the middle east wasnt always a giant cluster. Iraq used to have the best healthcare system in all of the region. These were developed, stable regions not to long ago.

What kind of muslim would do something like this during an holy event in their own religion?!??!

Crazy deluded monsters.

RIP those unfortunate people caught in this shit.

Two Words

i dont see any turkish flags on peoples facebook/twitter/instagram profile pics....

hm...where is the support for this country internet people? or now iraq for that matter.
I do t think you're going to see much public solidarity for middle eastern countries from the West. I think a lot of people here just sort of expect this kind of stuff, sadly.

Baki

RIP. Bush turned the country into a shit-show with his illegal war & they're still suffering the consequences now. The entire region actually.

These kind of statements make me physically ill because of their absurdity. Like it is wrong for an American company to pay more attention to to an attack in France, a country that has historically had very close ties to the USA, than in Iraq. Think of the stupidity of that. It's like saying someone is wrong for caring more about a tornado that hit in a neighboring county and destroyed their friend's grandma's house than a tornado that hit on the other side of the country.

Having said that, this is a depressing and devastating attack. Condolences to the victims and their families.

It's a valid concern. Facebook is a global platform.

Oh well, can't expect much from a company that has huge diversity issues within its own workplace. But make no mistake, white lives seem to matter more for certain companies / platform...

Well everything they do is based and motivated by Islam, their own interpretation of it. We call Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons Christians, even though they interpret the Bible differently. ISIS are Muslims, who interpret the Quran differently.

What part of Islam can be interpreted to support bombing random innocent people? Also, while Mormonism isn't "technically" a branch of Christianity, I don't think many Mormons would call themselves Christian

Ashes

Banned
115?! Man, ISIS just brings hell to Earth. What a truly abominable group of "people." I hope that the military campaigns targeted against them continue to show no mercy. They can't be eliminated soon enough.

The sad thing is that this is the best way to unite against this affront.

Ashes

Banned
What kind of muslim would do something like this during an holy event in their own religion?!??!

Crazy deluded monsters.

RIP those unfortunate people caught in this shit.

The kind of Muslims that not really muslims at all.

Millions of Muslims from every walk of life have been saying this for a while. But who are they to know their own religion when the west and anti-religious are there to lecture them?

What part of Islam can be interpreted to support bombing random innocent people? Also, while Mormonism isn't "technically" a branch of Christianity, I don't think many Mormons would call themselves Christian

They are not random people, they are Shia. There are millions of Muslims around the wold who do not even consider Shia Muslim.

Pew said:
Muslims in the Middle East and North Africa tend to be most keenly aware of the distinction between the two main branches of Islam, Sunni and Shia.2 (See text box for definitions.) In most countries surveyed in the region, at least 40% of Sunnis do not accept Shias as fellow Muslims.

They are not random people, they are Shia. There are millions of Muslims around the wold who do not even consider Shia Muslim.

Yeah I know of the shia sunni schism, but they're "random" in the sense that nothing, to my knowledge, in the Quran condones bombing people who believe differently from you. So for all intents and purposes, they were random

Two Words

These kind of statements make me physically ill because of their absurdity. Like it is wrong for an American company to pay more attention to to an attack in France, a country that has historically had very close ties to the USA, than in Iraq. Think of the stupidity of that. It's like saying someone is wrong for caring more about a tornado that hit in a neighboring county and destroyed their friend's grandma's house than a tornado that hit on the other side of the country.

Having said that, this is a depressing and devastating attack. Condolences to the victims and their families.
Ahh yes, how could we forget of that old alliance in the 1700s when France came to Facebook's aid against MySpace...

Yeah I know of the shia sunni schism, but they're "random" in the sense that nothing, to my knowledge, in the Quran condones bombing people who believe differently from you. So for all intents and purposes, they were random

There are a few quotes in the Quran that could be interpreted as advocating killing disbelievers. Kind of irrelevant though, Islam these days is just as much about the culture, what is being preached in mosques and passed from father to son, as what is written in the book.

steamingsarcasm

Neo Member
Daesh doesn't even just target shiias though, albeit they definitely fixate on them . As long as you don't believe in whatever fucked up violent "interpretation" they have of the religion, then you are an apostate in their eyes who needs to be killed.

Two Words

Damn, this thread falling this fast is pretty indicative to people's point about how people don't care as much about the middle east as they do the west. The hard thing about it is that it's not like you can point to some person to blame for it. It's like there is just an air of apathy all around us about this and it just erodes people's empathy.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
This is just horrible to read about. I doubt Facebook will show the same solidarity for all these bombings in the Middle East.

z3phon

Very depressing and just incredibly sad, especially when it's supposed to be a time to celebrate. Instead of celebrating with their families they have to bury them..

Having to dig for this thread is very disappointing too...

This is going to cause revenge killings (already happened) which in return is going to further fuel the terrorism rhetoric and ISIS recruitment.

How can anyone see an end here?

No, it wasn't random. Why are you bringing the Quran into this of course it doesn't have anything about bombing and terrorising people? This was a targeted bombing at Shias. ISIS is a Sunni organization that was formed because of sectarian instability in Iraq.

wachie

They're not muslims, they're fucking animals
Please don't disrespect animals. These monsters are pure filth that needs to be wiped off from the face of the earth.

Hasn't the toll gone above 200? Maybe the title needs an update.

Also not shocked that there is little to zero coverage and no outcry in the media.

Breads

Banned
Please don't disrespect animals. These monsters are pure filth that needs to be wiped off from the face of the earth.

Hasn't the toll gone above 200? Maybe the title needs an update.

Also not shocked that there is little to zero coverage and no outcry in the media.

I think it's up to 215 now, so yeah.

Holy shit...

faridmon

Wow at that death toll.

These fucking monsters..... No words.

May Peace be upon the dead and their family and friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom