• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Capcom really going to retread on that watercolour artstyle in SF5?

LeleSocho

Banned
Between ORAS characters "looking identical to the originals" and now this and kind of same reactions in other SF5 threads this year i learned that people can't distinguish art styles even if their lives depend on it.

Between ORAS characters "looking identical to the originals" and now this and kind of same reactions in other SF5 threads this year i learned that people can't distinguish art styles even if their lives depend on it.

This Christmas, let us try to remember those born without eyes and be thankful we have ours.

OK, so I might have jumped the gun on this. If that tired watercolour effect is exclusive to Ryu and they ditch the dumb cartoon look then I may not get repulsed by this game's artstyle. That water effect is pretty cool looking now that I notice it.

There is no water color effect. This is a water/ink streak effect on moves in what looks like a powered up state. It also isn't exclusive to Ryu as Chun Li uses a blue version of it.
And what Dumb cartoon look are you talking about?
Click to see the full HD images
street_fighter_5_2.jpg

street_fighter_5_1.jpg

street_fighter_5_3.jpg
If you are instead saying they should just make the characters look like real people then maybe Street Fighter isn't for you.

I probably don't have any right to speak on the subject because I haven't played much of SF4 (used to play SF2 and it's ilk a ton) but I agree... the artstyle was disappointing. I didn't immediately see anything graphically that different from SF4... it looks like a cross gen version of SF4 versus a major sequel it's supposed to be.

I'd say that's even worse... Chun-li has super detailed man hands and a plastic mannequin-esque face.

I probably don't have any right to speak on the subject because I haven't played much of SF4 (used to play SF2 and it's ilk a ton) but I agree... the artstyle was disappointing. I didn't immediately see anything graphically that different from SF4... it looks like a cross gen version of SF4 versus a major sequel it's supposed to be.
You're right.
Not only is it not using the same artstyle, the assets are completely new and the rendering style is completely different.
I'd say that's even worse... Chun-li has super detailed man hands and a plastic mannequin-esque face.

She's wearing a serious face in a fighting stance, Ryu is doing the same thing but has emotion when fighting and doing special attacks.
And ooooooooh nooooooo, a woman who fights doesn't have perfect beautiful hands! Next you're going to tell me her legs are too muscular!

There is no water color effect. This is a water/ink streak effect on moves in what looks like a powered up state. It also isn't exclusive to Ryu as Chun Li uses a blue version of it.
And what Dumb cartoon look are you talking about?

If you are instead saying they should just make the characters look like real people then maybe Street Fighter isn't for you.

The bulged eyeballs when characters get hit. The exaggerated anatomy (hands and feet especially). Stuff like that.

You're right.

Not only is it not using the same artstyle, the assets are completely new and the rendering style is completely different.

And yet, I'm not alone when many people watched it and didn't see much difference... What does that tell you? People want something new and exciting. SF4 was new and exciting. SF5 is not. It's in some ways LESS interesting (as I noted in my edit).

(edit for sanity)

Yeah, really don't understand how people can't see the difference. It's immediately apparent.

It's like saying TR port to PS4 is immediately different... It's different, yes... but it's really not THAT different. I stand by my saying it looks like an updated cross-gen port than it does the next big thing.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
It is disappointing that this basically looks the same as SFIV.

It'd be nice if they went with a distinctive art style for SFV like they have for all the previous main entries.

That you guys are blind... or that you like to troll.

Or you are being intentionally obtuse and not seeing where many people are coming from that the game doesn't look all that different. Calling (or implying) someone is a troll because you don't agree with them doesn't make your opinion any more valid than mine.

And yet, I'm not alone when many people watched it and didn't see much difference... What does that tell you? People want something new and exciting. SF4 was new and exciting. SF5 is not. It's in some ways LESS interesting (as I noted in my edit).

(edit for sanity)

It tells me that those people sure as hell didn't play much of SFIV. What people want is a great playing Street Fighter game that also looks great, not a reinventing of the wheel for the hell of it. The people that actually play Street Fighter can tell the difference, I'm glad Capcom isn't making a enormous change to the visual style just to try and catch the eye of people who aren't even going to play the game.

Or you are being intentionally obtuse and not seeing where many people are coming from that the game doesn't look all that different. Calling (or implying) someone is a troll because you don't agree with them doesn't make your opinion any more valid than mine.
No, but you being factually wrong does. The game does not look like SFIV anymore than any Street Fighter game has looked like its previous entry. The visual differences are large and apparent if you actually look at the two games.

It tells me that those people sure as hell didn't play much of SFIV. What people want is a great playing Street Fighter game that also looks great, not a reinventing of the wheel for the hell of it. The people that actually play Street Fighter can tell the difference, I'm glad Capcom isn't making a enormous change to the visual style just to try and catch the eye of people who aren't even going to play the game.

You're making a rather big assumption for everyone. The competitive scene may only care about a game being iterative instead of inventive, but the competitive scene isn't the only one that plays the game. Gameplay and balance should be designed for competitive scene, everything else should be aimed at everyone to draw as many people as possible IMO.

No, but you being factually wrong does. The game does not look like SFIV anymore than any Street Fighter game has looked like its previous entry. The visual differences are large and apparent if you actually look at the two games.

Have you only ever played SF4? Because every main line Street Fighter title has looked significantly different even if playing well and similarly.

You're making a rather big assumption for everyone. The competitive scene may only care about a game being iterative instead of inventive, but the competitive scene isn't the only one that plays the game. Gameplay and balance should be designed for competitive scene, everything else should be aimed at everyone to draw as many people as possible IMO.

Nah.

That ain't how it works.

lumzi23

Not a fan of the current street fighter look. Not that it really matters. Was never that good at 2D fighting games.

LeleSocho

Banned

I don't actually think that you are trolling but i genuinely think that you guys are actually blind and can't distinguish different art styles

...then hey maybe you really can't remember what SF4 looks like in that case go and boot up the game and see for yourself.

danmaku

Thats neat, not the direction street fighter wants to go with.

I don't want all my games looking like that.

With that art direction? No. But think of a 3rd Strike style game made with ArcSys' engine.

I don't actually think that you are trolling but i genuinely think that you guys are actually blind and can't distinguish different art styles

...then hey maybe you really can't remember what SF4 looks like in that case go and boot up the game and see for yourself.

I watched a ton of SF4 and I think 5 isn't much different. Some changes here and there, but nothing I'd call "totally different". 4 was extremely different from 2, Alpha and 3 because it was the first with 3D graphics. This one looks more like an upgrade of an existing style.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

I mean, its Street Fighter. Its looked the same generally over the years, even with differences in art style. The move to 3D was the biggest change.

Santar

The fact that so many people think the artstyle in SF5 is too similar basically confirms that the game does look pretty similar to sf 4. If not we wouldn't even have this thread.
Nobody said that Marvel vs Capcom 3 looked like SF4 or that SF 3 looked like the SFA series.
Personally I would have liked them to develop a new look for this game to make it stand more on it's own legs, it feels more like a revision of SF4 now instead of a full fledged sequel.

Village

With that art direction? No. But think of a 3rd Strike style game made with ArcSys' engine.

I don't want that either

I had third strike, I like 3rd strike. I am done with 3rd strike.

I think sf5 is actually something new, at least from what I see and no one is talking about it.

People are taking about ink and water color

I think it they are going with like statue and clay look , looking at the material again.

The fact that so many people think the artstyle in SF5 is too similar basically confirms that the game does look pretty similar to sf 4. If not we wouldn't even have this thread.
Nobody said that Marvel vs Capcom 3 looked like SF4 or that SF 3 looked like the SFA series.
Personally I would have liked them to develop a new look for this game to make it stand more on it's own legs, it feels more like a revision of SF4 now instead of a full fledged sequel.

People being stupid doesn't make them right.

A lot of people think the moon landing was fake, does that mean it was?

That's a terrible argument.

No, I'm not making an assumption. The people who actually play the games can tell the difference, the people who don't can't. Street Fighter has its fanbase, there is no need to completely change things to try and grab more people and risk alienating the existing fanbase.

Have you only ever played SF4? Because every main line Street Fighter title has looked significantly different even if playing well and similarly.
Are... are you being serious right now?

XenoRaven

How does it FEEL like a revision when you haven't even played it?

I am so done. People have become so fickle it's ridiculous.

Have fun waiting a decade or more for another SF game since apparently a 6 year cycle is just too soon for people.

Nyoro SF

On the original premise of the thread...

I agree that Ryu and Chun Li look really huge (Ryu being far too muscular) and Ryu looks really angry? It's almost like Capcom was trying to chase the big Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct market with these darker graphics and tone. Kind of disappointing.

Santar

People being stupid doesn't make them right.

A lot of people think the moon landing was fake, does that mean it was?

That's a terrible argument.

But you can't really argue against people who think it looks very similar. Because to them it does in fact look very similar. It's not stupid to think it does.

Have fun waiting a decade or more for another SF game since apparently a 6 year cycle is just too soon for people.
I was of course referring to the visual style of the game.

Pimpwerx

What about those of us that actually like the art style they chose? I prefer the more cartoonist proportions over realistic ones. I think Capcom has arrived at a good look now since the first EX game. I think it'll look even nicer once they get more lighting effects in the game. I think it'll also blow us away when we see some of the brighter, more active stages. PEACE.

JimiNutz

Banned
The roided up characters are ridiculous.
They are supposed to be martial artists... Anyone that has done any fighting knows that excessive bulk and unnecessary muscle mass is a huge hindrance to both mobility, speed and endurance.

I agree that Ryu and Chun Li look really huge (Ryu being far too muscular) and Ryu looks really angry? It's almost like Capcom was trying to chase the big Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct market with these darker graphics and tone. Kind of disappointing.

Jesus christ what.

It's a stage that takes place in a city at night, Ryu looks angry because he always has.

They are supposed to be martial artists... Anyone that has done any fighting knows that excessive bulk and unnecessary muscle mass is a huge hindrance to both mobility, speed and endurance.

It's almost like it's a videogame that isn't trying to be realistic at all.

It's obvious from watching the gameplay trailer. Why would you need to play it to come to that conclusion when it's that obvious?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

Ryu's look here is very much like his Third Strike iteration, and his demeanor is the same as its always been. Serious, stern, concerned only about the fight.

the man throws fireballs from his fist

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

It especially hinders your ability to throw energy balls from your hands and hover in the air while spinning rapidly.

Leunam

But you can't really argue against people who think it looks very similar. Because to them it does in fact look very similar. It's not stupid to think it does.

Stupid might be a harsh term, but I definitely question their ability to see the difference between the two. I wonder to myself how often they even played SF4 if they can't tell that this is clearly a new Ryu model.

V_Arnold

It is the same graphics, guuuuys!

I mean, look at it! Same dude, same red ribbon! Female japanese token character with BEEEWBS and that blue stuff!

Completely the same! :D

Or you just have unnecesarry demands from this particular game. If this kind of difference would be moot, you would not ever look ANY game beside the new guilty gear (which, coincidentally, MISSED THE WHOLE 3D ERA SO FAR) and say "huh, that DOES look different".
You could pretty much troll and dismiss ANY two games like that.

If you want realism SF probably isn't for you

danmaku

I don't want that either

I had third strike, I like 3rd strike. I am done with 3rd strike.

I think sf5 is actually something new, at least from what I see and no one is talking about it.

People are taking about ink and water color

I think it they are going with like statue and clay look , looking at the material again.

I don't mean a 3rd Strike clone, I mean a 3D game with a new art direction and characters that look like 2D sprites instead of 3D models. Good luck selling it to casuals, though.

If you look at the new character models they look like a mix of sf3 art and the Tekken street fighter designs that were made a couple of years ago. As for ink effect it is only for specific attacks or stance changes (we don't know yet). Chun-Li gets her own water effect and not an ink effect.

Mit-

It's a video game. And it's Street Fighter.

Do you want it to look like Mortal Kombat?

I mean old school Mortal Kombat. With the characters actually captured from real people. I guarantee you that would not go over well.

Edit: probably was a troll. Continuing...

And people have yet to make an argument that this game is any less distinct than other entries have been. Especially that it's more similar to IV than anything. Taking out the transition from 2D to 3D, this game is heavily copying the designs from SFIII. I also hope the eyes popping out exaggerating effects comment wasn't aimed at this game. Because it isn't in this game.

And the only reason people are saying this looks similar to SFIV, where they didn't do that in the past for, say, SFIII vs SFA, is because people didn't feel so strongly about SFA or other games' artistic style or visual identity.

However a lot of people HATE SFIV's style, and the second they see anything remotely close to it, all of a sudden it looks like SFIV.

This is SFIII in HD. Wtf is it SUPPOSED to look like? They can't have muscular arms and large hands and feet? Something that has been a staple in Street Fighter's artistic history? (Note: It isn't exclusive to SFIV)

Stupid might be a harsh term, but I definitely question their ability to see the difference between the two. I wonder to myself how often they even played SF4 if they can't tell that this is clearly a new Ryu model.

The model is irrelevant to the observation that this is SFIV again. Of course they would update the models/graphics.

Top Bottom