• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Etrian Odyssey no longer safe for public view

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why you play Classic mode. :p

Honestly, it's kinda disappointing as I assume they do this to get some extra cash and some more sales from the Otaku crowd or something, the Etrian Odyssey games are amazing and hopefully they don't have to do this kinda stuff in future games. To even think that some people might skip the game over this makes me a bit sad, hopefully I'm wrong about that.

I don't think I'll support said DLC.

If what I understand is true, the worst part about bath DLC is that the bonus bath portraits only apply to the females. At least let us also see Bertrand awkwardly fighting a monster while dripping with water and sweat. Is that too much to ask?

20141126_015016.png

latest

there is probably an in-universe explanation for the appearance of these characters, stop being so quick to cast judgement. it's possible they chose to dress this way on their own.

Does anyone wants to fill me in about this "dragons meme" ?

A really common anime trope is for a character that looks 12 years old or younger to actually be ancient race that ages very slowly, so it's totally okay to sexualize them because they're definitely not kids.

Dark_castle

The art direction of Etrian Odyssey is single-handedly holding me back from wanting to get into the series, and I'm in a dungeon-crawling spree these days.

Eolz

Oh not this kind of thread again...
It's actually really tame. Hope they don't censor anything in the west (unlike NOA for FE or S-E for Bravely Default for example).

A shame, even though I don't play the series I always thought the artwork for the previous games had a nice sense of style to them, slowly but surely the female character designs just kept sliding down that slippery slope though.

Danchi

there is probably an in-universe explanation for the appearance of these characters, stop being so quick to cast judgement. it's possible they chose to dress this way on their own.

these lolli dragons are so old and wise they have become sentient beings no longer defined by the constraints of the game's designers.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Children bathing in the onsen(with the adults too) seems like a thing i see a lot in Japanese media. I'm not exactly sure if that's supposed to be sexual titillation or not(of course the girl grabbing her hooters in the menu screen is though

The art direction of Etrian Odyssey is single-handedly holding me back from wanting to get into the series, and I'm in a dungeon-crawling spree these days.

It's a tough sell, I know. They are worth it though. You can just play the male characters, they all look at least 30 and most have clothes

KarmaCow

In most of the games you can create parties without the creepy portraits since each class has multiple variants. The Untold games have fixed characters unfortunately in Story mode.

At the very least, the games do have multiple portrait options, so you do always have the option of choosing portraits that seem more appealing/less bothersome. The untold games do have storylines and characterization with specific people so that's harder to avoid if you don't play in Classic mode.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
This shit needs to stop. Give me scantily-clad adults all day long, but the pedo style is just flat-out disturbing.

Several generations ago, games would have artwork changed when they were localized. I wonder if the developers have ever thought about re-doing the character artwork for English releases? Do these games even have character models or is it pretty much all just artwork?

In most of the games you can create parties without the creepy portraits since each class has multiple variants. The Untold games have fixed characters unfortunately in Story mode.

The Untold parties are pretty tame in design, but most of the characters in EO are fine anyways.

Ummmmm artistic depictions of CP are also illegal so clearly the government doesn't recognise that distinction (and rightly so)

...This is considered CP? Umm.

I think I am out of this thread if people are assuming this.

Unless you were just saying that in general. If so then yes.

My takeaway is:
I just want to play DRPG's and solve mazes and manage spells and upgrade skill trees and forge weapons and armor and go on quests.

What is all this other stuff doing in my DRPG's?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I think what disturbs me the most is the people in here talking about how "tame" this is

the fuck games are you playing?

...This is considered CP? Umm.

I think I am out of this thread if people are assuming this.

it's not

but it seems to be aiming for the same audience

LX_Theo

Banned
Looks like a joke mission. I don't know. Still not a positive, but it doesn't feel like it was made to be taken seriously.

baterism

Meh. I... was expecting something more.

I think the proper term is Legal Loli (about that 1000 year old dragon). Or at least that was what I heard used.
The third image, I guess it's more intended to be "cute" rather than "sexualized". Like, when you see children running with towel, you don't see it as a pervy thing, but just... children running with towel. The game and art style isn't my cup of tea, but I don't see the big deal.

So common I've yet to see one anime with said trope.

You haven't watch To aru... index or railgun or something? Watch it, it's quiet interesting.

Komoe-sensei can be considered this, right?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
A really common anime trope is for a character that looks 12 years old or younger to actually be ancient race that ages very slowly, so it's totally okay to sexualize them because they're definitely not kids.
So common I've yet to see one anime with said trope.

In Europe it's common for films to show child nudity for bath scenes. Some parts of the world just see it as normal and not a form of sexualisation.

My takeaway is:
I just want to play DRPG's and solve mazes and manage spells and upgrade skill trees and forge weapons and armor and go on quests.

Etrian Odyssey games might be the best selling DRPGs these days, and a big part of it is the artistic direction the series has.

The games are awesome, and this is the first time something like this has happened and it's optional DLC that you don't have to support.

Ohnonono

My takeaway is:

YUP. Stranger in Sword City looks like it is free of this stuff. I don't know that for sure but it is one of the main reasons I want it to come out over here so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom