• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Gearbox holding the Duke Nukem I.P. hostage?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think they're holding the IP hostage so to speak but Duke Nukem Forever damaged the brand a lot it's probably not worth a lot right now. I would love to have seen Interceptors Duke Nukem Reloaded before they had to can it (well before they formed Interceptor) but it wasn't meant to be.

Unless the next Duke Nukem is all about him being a completely miserable piece of shit that ruins everything and that everyone hates, the IP should stay dead as fuck. Duke Nukem was disgustingly dated and made Duke out to be the biggest fictional sociopath ever written. Why would you even want to waste another studios time with the character? MachineGames taking Blazkowicz and making him more than a one-dimensional avatar for nazi-killing is completely different from trying to make Duke something other than what amounts to "Creepy Uncle that keeps asking if he can score some piss for his parole officer off of you, while quoting Lethal Weapon 2 and They Live."

I honestly love Duke the way he is. Not necessarily Forevers version where I felt he was a bit too much of an asshole but Duke Nukem 3Ds where it's mostly one liners and a little bit of tittilation with plenty of interactivity. But then I grew up with 80/90s action films, I love that kind of trashy shit and would welcome a new Duke with open arms. You say it's outdated, I honestly think there would be an audience for it. But I want them to stay true to his character or have it stay dead. None of this 'bring him back but make it all self referential or mocking' shit.

If they were to make a new Duke game, they need to do it in the way of Rise of the Triad. Just go completely ridiculous with it.

Duke is 80's machimo to the core. The thing is, how to translate that into a modern action game? Blood Dragon did the parody of 80's plot and visuals, but Duke, I dunno, you need to do a risque sendup to the likes of Early Rambo films and other 'blood, guns, and babes' action movies.

Protome

This probably coming from the same people hyped for a Deadpool movie
To be fair, how Deadpool is handled is also how most people talk about wanting Duke handled. Same dumb random references and violence but everyone treats him like and absolute piece of shit, even when he's doing good.

Falk

that puzzling face
Duke is 80's machimo to the core.

3D Realms of that era felt like it basically ran off casual objectification/sexism and casual racism (Shadow Warrior lol)

Anyone attempts to release a game like that nowadays (being in the past 5 years or so) which tries to take itself seriously in any capacity - I don't want to be in the shoes of their PR team.

I do think it's funny that we've come full circle and Duke is somehow managing to offend people again.

Pretty much this, heh.

KissVibes

Banned
I honestly love Duke the way he is. Not necessarily Forevers version where I felt he was a bit too much of an asshole but Duke Nukem 3Ds where it's mostly one liners and a little bit of tittilation with plenty of interactivity. But then I grew up with 80/90s action films, I love that kind of trashy shit and would welcome a new Duke with open arms. You say it's outdated, I honestly think there would be an audience for it. But I want them to stay true to his character or have it stay dead. None of this 'bring him back but make it all self referential or mocking' shit.

I'm curious as to why you think DNF and D3D didn't have the same type of humor. What made Duke more of an asshole in DNF than 3D, exactly? Because they seem exactly the same to me.

Look at Shadow Warrior. The original was rife with racial stereotypes and homophobia. The remake took those and made had the main character make fun of that stupid racist shit. That's why the new Shadow Warrior was good. It was a superior game and didn't fall back onto garbage stereotypes.

I do think it's funny that we've come full circle and Duke is somehow managing to offend people again.

It's more how the last game seemed to try to be offensive for offensiveness sake, and thus lost a lot of the charm 3d and other duke games had.

It had a few flashes of brilliance though. The health bar being an Ego bar was amazing. Getting shot doesn't hurt him, it just bruises his ego.

3D Realms of that era felt like it basically ran off casual objectification/sexism and casual racism (Shadow Warrior lol)

Anyone attempts to release a game like that nowadays (being in the past 5 years or so) which tries to take itself seriously in any capacity - I don't want to be in the shoes of their PR team.

You'd have to do it in such a way that you pull a warhammer 40k: a universe that doesn't take itself seriously in a completely serious way.

OR pull a Big trouble in Little China. Duke isn't the games hero, he's the violent, sexist sidekick for the people actually saving the world. He's just one big old violent diversion.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Oh it's easy.

One word:

#gamergate

wasn't there some lawsuit about gearbox not paying the correct royalties or something?

i think that there is a good duke nukem game that can be released in 2016 if approached correctly. i do not trust gearbox to do this at all

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious as to why you think DNF and D3D didn't have the same type of humor. What made Duke more of an asshole in DNF than 3D, exactly? Because they seem exactly the same to me.

I think it was more the way Forever was in your face. For example Duke being blown by a couple of girls at the start, the wall titty slapping and the way he comes across the girls later on and basically goes 'you're fucked!' after they've had an alien style impregnation.

Duke was never really that bad IMO in Duke Nuke 3D or any of the other Duke games, he's of course cheesy and machismo all the way with one liners and giving strippers a bit of money but he was never that crass in the past games. I guess for me, Forever made him more crass than he needed to be. I wasn't offended or anything and tbh it made me laugh just cause I love Dukes cheesiness but the character didn't feel the same to me. That could just be me though.

For example the DLC The Doctor Who Cloned Me made me laugh a lot more than anything in the main game, especially when Duke meets his clones

https://youtu.be/xmA15ToDbGQ?t=627

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-KdcKCISqA

I think that god awful Bulletstorm's dialogue could be worse than freaking DNF.

And that's a heck of achievement seeing as how terrible everything in DNF was.

Aw no way man, Bulletstorms dialogue is wonderfully over the top and ridiculous. Love it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
3D Realms fails to make Duke Nukem game for 12 years -> cool
Gearbox makes Duke Nukem game -> why are they holding it hostage???

Joey Ravn

Banned
Give it to Flying Wild Hog, Apogee or Croteam please. Fuck Gearbox, the best Boarderlands game didn't even have gameplay and was made by a different dev at that!!!

I know it's a bit off-topic, but that's a lame way of implying that adventure games are not video games.

Like, really really lame. Not to mention factually incorrect, but, hey. Opinions and all, I guess.

Hopeford

The only way I'd want to see a new Duke Nukem game is if they Jojofied the shit out of him. Like same one-liners, less sexism, way more posing.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Wanna tell me what value Duke Nukem has outside of the context of the 90's? After DNF, Gearbox can keep him and take him to their fucking grave, frankly.

This probably coming from the same people hyped for a Deadpool movie
Deadpool knows he's a cartoon character runs with it. He also has moments where he gets pretty emotional and serious depending on the writer. I don't buy Duke as a machismo badass anymore. He's dated. Duke is more like how DC keeps trying to make Lobo happen.
People are offended by bad writing.

LewieP

They're just waiting to find the right studio to secretly outsource it to for the lowest price possible, resulting in an end product that is disappointing for all parties.

FyreWulff

If you're a Duke Nukem fan, you're probably aware of what happened with the *old* 3drealms when it was headed by George Broussard and Scott Miller. They basically
disbanded the entire development team of Duke Nukem Forever after Take 2 decided they would not give Broussard anymore money to "complete" the game when they were "very close" to the finishing line.

A more accurate truth is that the game was basically legitimately near complete (they had hired someone to manage the project - Brian Hook - a while back, and this person was very strict about finally finishing and shipping levels). Take 2 attempted what amounted to a hostile takeover of the Duke IP; they wanted the entire rights in exchange for the relatively small amount of money, and since they had the publishing rights, 3DR was completely blocked from even sourcing alternate funding and releasing the game.

Duke Nukem Forever was completely self financed, by the way, so it wasn't like Take 2 had been bleeding money on DNF up to that point. It was the first money they were ever going to spend on the game.

What I loved about the original duke nukem was the way it ramped up interaction with every object in a room , to me it was never the childish writing or the macho dialogue but just the way you could fight and interact .

The Initial forever reveal kind of showed some of that but I felt the final product ditched a lot of that and just resorted to boobs and swearing.

Give me a modern revivals (like they did with Wolfenstein and tone down the childish shit and I would be in day 1 )

Granted most would say that means it's not duke nukem without that macho stuff but they can do it in such a way it's not in your face .

I think you could modernize Duke. He still can like women just dont make them bimbos. Drop the sexist comments, or racist comments, focus more on being a parody action hero while parodying games. He has potential to be a comedy fps which is something we don't have at the moment. Aka i think the new wolf had a good tone of absurd with gritty. Duke can go one further with the parody. Alien burger stands, making fun of theme park mascots is old duke and it was fun. Lets poke fun of some stuff today. Make it interactive and detailed levels, that was 99 percent of the charm.

Fishook

As much as like Duke as a character, and 80's/90's retro shooter in the vain of the last Wolfenstein would be decent. but it just would'nt sell enough numbers to be viable even it was a cheaper priced game, (that did not work for the Old Blood).

The Witness is being pulled apart for it price as a digital only title, but if got a physical release members of the public look a cheaper obscure games as rubbish.

Accoun

It felt like some circa 1998 game that finally got around to being released.

If that was true, maybe it would end up being a better game. I remembered it feeling like an awkward mishmash of old and new that didn't really succeed.

Xater

3D Realms fails to make Duke Nukem game for 12 years -> cool
Gearbox makes Duke Nukem game -> why are they holding it hostage???

Yeah this is a very confusing premise for a thread.

AlsoDuke is such a fucking 90s relic that at this point I kinda no longer care. Even the last game was just a morbid curiosity kept alive by its long development.

jeemer

I really enjoyed duke nukem at the time, but I also feel like it's had its time in the sun. Don't think I'd have any interest in a new title, shadow warrior scratched that sort of itch for me most recently.

You don't pay the kind of money that Gearbox paid for the IP and then just sit on it to spite someone. It doesn't work like that. Odds are, they have plans for it and are working on something or in pre-production planning and will announce something when there's something to announce.

daevious

I think that god awful Bulletstorm's dialogue could be worse than freaking DNF.

And that's a heck of achievement seeing as how terrible everything in DNF was.

Nope, Bulletstorm's dialogue is the perfect balance of over-the-top machismo and genuine character interaction/development.

Zombine

Banned
Duke Nuken Forever was like a reunion tour for one of your favorite rock bands: Sure, you were glad to see them back together, but the truth is that they were kind of out of touch and creepy and not as good as they used to be.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm not familiar with the supposed story behind Duke Nukem, but how did the game go from almost finished, to a mess that Gearbox had to piece back together?

Honestly Duke is a character that in my opinion, comes off lame in this day and age. After such an awful Forever game that tried so desperately to portray a cool tough guy, it's an ip that needs to sit on the backburner for a while.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nope, Bulletstorm's dialogue is the perfect balance of over-the-top machismo and genuine character interaction/development.

Over the top to the point of desperation. They really, REALLY wanted to impress the kiddies with their foul language.

It was an ugly blemish to an otherwise fantastic game.

danm999

If Gearbox isn't making or has no plans to make a new Duke Nukem game it's probably because they don't think there is money in it. Not to spite someone.

If I remember DNF didn't exactly set the sales charts on fire, so they might even be right.

If Gearbox isn't making or has no plans to make a new Duke Nukem game it's probably because they don't think there is money in it. Not to spite someone.

If I remember DNF didn't exactly set the sales charts on fire, so they might even be right.

I think it sold well for like a week. Then everyone returned it... Now you can buy it for a dollar.

Sufficient to say, the "legs" of Duke Nukam Forever were the equivalent of a man cut in half and set on fire.

Top Bottom