• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it Berenstein Bears or Berenstain Bears?

Liberty4all

Banned
Got in a debate online about this. Upon googling apparently there are thousands of people that think it's Berenstein. But it has always been Berenstain.

https://www.seventeen.com/celebrity/news/a32934/the-berenstein-berenstain-bears-conspiracy-theory/

Theories online range from a time traveller butterfly effect to a parallel universe intersecting with ours to explain why so many people remember it as Bernstein.

http://www.woodbetween.world/2012/08/the-berenstein-bears-we-are-living-in.html?m=1

https://news.avclub.com/how-you-spell-the-berenstain-bears-could-be-proof-of-1798282836

What say you GAF

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Butterfly effect. It is Berenstein Bears. The worst timelines merged a few years back, isn't that accepted truth at this point?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I grew up in the South, so my teachers would usually over-pronounce the ending of the word with a heavy drawl.

So when I was growing up, it was always the "Barron-Stain Bears".

iconmaster

Banned
I'm not the type to believe in chemtrails or UFOs, but learning about the Berenstain Bears shook me to my core.

How did we cross over? And how do we go back?

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
I Always understood it to be Berenstain Bears due to the creators anti-semetic refusal to use the more commonly accepted Berenstein spelling

AlphaMale

I grew up reading the books, and they were absolutely, definitely, positively spelled "Berenstein Bears".
In fact, I remember asking my teacher why it was pronounced "-stain", but was spelled "-stein". She just said that was the preferred way of saying it. Why would I need to ask that if it was spelled "-stain"?

Yup, the A-Universe and the E-Universe definitely collided and merged at some point. Or rather, the people who lived in the E-Universe are now living in the A-Universe and timeline.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
It's stain. It has ALWAYS been stain. I was reading those books to my daughter 30 years ago, EVERY DAMN NIGHT. It's always been STAIN...

Ichabod

Banned
On one hand:

On the other, there's stuff like: apparently its always been "Gorton's" fishsticks instead of "Gordon's" wtffffffffff

Boss Mog

I don't even understand how this can be a question. It's written "The Berenstain Bears" right on the books:
9780375842146_p0_v4_s550x406.jpg

We truly are living in the age of feelings over facts.

I don't even understand how this can be a question. It's written "The Berenstain Bears" right on the books:
9780375842146_p0_v4_s550x406.jpg

We truly are living in the age of feelings over facts.

It's ok.. it has nothing to do with feelings, just alternate universes merging together.

(Shhh guys, this poster is an alien from the other dimension)

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
In the US, -stein is a very common suffix , often for Jewish/Yiddish surnames.

-stain is not.

Plus we just got done sending a -stein to jail for casting couches. I think the -stein spelling is just fresh on peoples' minds.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Oh snap. The smoking gun. I swear it was always betenstein

Mistakes like this happen all the time though, and were even more prevalent "back in the day".

In 10 years are we going to be arguing whether the 3DS Resident Evil game was Revelations or Revelaitons?

17gf6rn09apfljpg.jpg

Top Bottom