• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it common to make big multi-topping sandwiches in the US?

D-Pad

Ham and cheese melts I made some weeks ago. Soup and sammies are great. You dunk the sandwich into the soup, and the toasted bread soaks up just enough.
Qwu6mwF.jpg

yyuUkm9.jpg

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
So strugwich gaf, say you got yourself some tasty bread and you've already lovingly applied your favorite cheese. Your brain is probably screaming at you, telling you to stop building and just eat.

But heres my question;

If in this situation you happened to have some delicately smoked, thinly sliced turkey breast in your fridge, ready to go....

Would you put it on your sandwich then? Like, would that thought cross your mind?

What people would do in this scenario is eat the sandwich with cheese, then make another one with turkey. I for one prefer the method of making a pile.

Cheese sandwiches aside, I think a big difference in Europe is the lack of the slice of tomato and usually pickled vegetable in American sandwiches. Even if it's not on the sandwich, often you'll get a pickled cucumber spear on the side with a sandwich in the US. Haven't seen it in Europe, similar to how you rarely see any malt vinager in the US.

Well, I'd say pickled cucumber is one of the most usual filling in a homemade sandwich around this particular part of Europe. Along with a slice of tomato or fresh cucumber. In my humble opinion picked cucumber works especially well with dark rye bread. I think the problem with these generalisations is that about every European country has its own sandwich culture, while America is homogenised by comparison. And of course fat and stupid, but that has been established so many times that we hardly need to mention it again.

I think the problem with these generalisations is that about every European coutry has its own sandwich culture, while America is homogenised by comparison. And of course fat and stupid, but that has been established so many times that we hardly need to mention it again.

WAAAAAY too simplistic view of American sandwich culture. The USA has both. It has unique/specialty/ethnic sandwiches most identifiable with a particular region/state/city AND the USA also has standard sandwiches you can get just about anywhere and they are pretty much the same everywhere. A club sandwich is pretty much a club sandwich whether you get it at a deli in New York, a bistro in California, or on a golf course in Lincoln, Nebraska. But you're going to be hard-pressed to find a lake trout sandwich outside of Maryland, or a chicken fried steak sandwich outside of Texas or Oklahoma.

WAAAAAY too simplistic view of American sandwich culture. While it's true that every region of the USA has unique/specialty/ethnic sandwiches, the USA also has standard sandwiches you can get just about anywhere and they are pretty much the same everywhere. A club sandwich is pretty much a club sandwich whether you get it at a deli in New York, a bistro in California, or on a golf course in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Funny you should mention the Club, since that'll actually vary wildly depending on which coast you're on. California Club vs. Standard Club.

So strugwich gaf, say you got yourself some tasty bread and you've already lovingly applied your favorite cheese. Your brain is probably screaming at you, telling you to stop building and just eat.

But heres my question;

If in this situation you happened to have some delicately smoked, thinly sliced turkey breast in your fridge, ready to go....

Would you put it on your sandwich then? Like, would that thought cross your mind?

I would cut a second slice of bread and put the turkey breast on there. So now I have two separate "sandwiches", one with cheese, one with turkey.

Funny you should mention the Club, since that'll actually vary wildly depending on which coast you're on. California Club vs. Standard Club.

Nah. Most of the time when you order just a "club" in California, you get a standard club sandwich. If it's a California club you're after, it will likely be listed as such on the menu, or you'll ask for a California club. It's really just an avocado or no avocado thing most of the time anyway.

Jisgsaw

But heres my question;

I'd put a slice on it yeah (or two if I'm hungry).
Not a couple dozens like I've seen in this thread. Less is more.

images

Not even joking, 2-3 of this image is my lunch. (So 4 halves, maybe 5-6 halves)

Wait how is 4-6 slices of cheese and 4-6 slices of bread healthier than 2 slices of bread, 2 slices of cheese, meat, lettuce, tomato, mustard , and mayo? You got way too many carbs going on.

Zona

Oh, this threads still alive. I didn't think to photograph my breakfast this morning, but here's a picture of what I ate. May even be from the same Deli.

egg-sandwich_02_dougyoung-550x410.jpg

Two eggs fried, bacon, cheese, with salt and pepper on a Kiser roll. Otherwise known as a bacon egg and cheese, or in the NY Metropolitan area an egg sandwich.

Ledsen

But heres my question;

Usually any meat I have at home is for consumption in an actual meal, not a snack sandwich, but if I did have sandwich condiment meat I would choose between it and the cheese or put each on a separate sandwich.

Oh, this threads still alive. I didn't think to photograph my breakfast this morning, but here's a picture of what I ate. May even be from the same Deli.

Two eggs fried, bacon, cheese, with salt and pepper on a Kiser roll. Otherwise known as a bacon egg and cheese, or in the NY Metropolitan area an egg sandwich.

Looks like way too many calories for a breakfast that you would eat every day. Bacon for breakfast really can't be healthy (I know the Brits do it too).

Zona

Looks like way too many calories for a breakfast that you would eat every day. Bacon for breakfast really can't be healthy (I know the Brits do it too).

Plenty of people do eat it regularly, but for me that's a weekend breakfast. Most mornings I have maybe a bowl of cereal, if that. Honestly I think I skip breakfast more then I eat it.

No better hangover food either.

E92 M3

Plenty of people do eat it regularly, but for me that's a weekend breakfast. Most mornings I have maybe a bowl of cereal, if that. Honestly I think I skip breakfast more then I eat it.

No better hangover food either.

Actually, breakfast is the most important meal :)

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I would cut a second slice of bread and put the turkey breast on there. So now I have two separate "sandwiches", one with cheese, one with turkey.

That isn't two separate sandwiches, you're just eating ingredients.

You cant eat flour, then an egg, some sugar and then wash it down with oil and say you ate a cake.

America and Europe have both insanely strong farming lobbies that spread shit about butter being more natural and therefore healthier. You know it's bullshit...

It's really not. Best case is you have one of these new fancy olive oil margarines or something and you're about even before you count the added vitamins. Worst case is cheap industrial margarine that still has meaningful trans fats. Either way it tastes disgusting. The general consensus at this point is that saturated fat on its own isn't really bad for you.

In general there are some weird ideas about sandwich health in this thread. For most of these sandwiches the bread us the most unhealthy part!

Krejlooc

Banned
this topic inspired me to make a badass grilled cheese sandwich. I haven't had one of those homemade in a long time. Sauteed some mushrooms and threw them in the melting cheese, too, with strips of bacon.

So fucking good.

butzopower

proud of his butz
99% of the american sandwiches posted here are purchased.

100% of the euro sandwiches posted here are home made.

Which shows how high America's sandwich game is. We have so many ways and places to get sandwiches, we don't even think about making them ourselves. It's like you sneaking drinks in and we over here with bottle service. Might as well just upgrade strugglewich to just struggling.

It's really not. Best case is you have one of these new fancy olive oil margarines or something and you're about even before you count the added vitamins. Worst case is cheap industrial margarine that still has meaningful trans fats. Either way it tastes disgusting. The general consensus at this point is that saturated fat on its own isn't really bad for you.

In general there are some weird ideas about sandwich health in this thread. For most of these sandwiches the bread us the most unhealthy part!

I wouldn't call them fancy, they are pretty much the norm in brand name stuff and have zero trans fat unlike butter, which has 3.3 grams per 100 grams. And while saturated by itself may not be as bad for you as it was thought some time ago, pretty much everyone agrees that unsaturated is still better for you. So stop struggling with that disgusting butter and get some quality margarine.

Edit: while refined wheat bread is pretty bad for you, at least some other grains are actually good. Unfortunately wheat is added to most bread, but at least you can get some that are 100% rye or oat.

Lucreto

There is nothing fancy about olive oil margarines. I just checked mine and it's made with vegetable oil and olive oil and it costs less than €1.50.

Which shows how high America's sandwich game is. We have so many ways and places to get sandwiches, we don't even think about making them ourselves. It's like you sneaking drinks in and we over here with bottle service. Might as well just upgrade strugglewich to just struggling.

Why would I go and buy a sandwich for €4 for one lunch when I can buy a loaf of bread, pack of ham and a pack of cheese for about the same and can get 3 lunches out of it. Both would fill me up but I make a saving.

img_5844_156999231.jpg

All that requires is to be grilled and some Hp sauce with a nice hot cuppa and you got a nice lunch.

My lunch 6 days a week consist of 2 slices of bread, margarine and two slices of ham for one sandwich and other 2 slices of bread, margarine with 2 slices of cheese. I also have a yogurt, tea and something sweet like a rich tea biscuit. That will keep be going until dinner 6 or so hours later.

OUWHCFt.jpg

That makes me ill just looking at it. That's not a sandwich it's a freak of nature.
A "rich tea biscuit"?

Man, you're living the dream

Crocodile

I've only read the first couple of pages of this thread so far but I'm in tears. Funniest thread I've seen in perhaps weeks. The culture clash is real! LOL

Related, considering I'm in NYC visitng family, this thread is also making me want to stop by Katz's. I haven't been there in ages. I've also got some sandwich places in the Midwest I need to keep my eye on :)

Fusebox

Banned

Phwoar, bacon, eggs AND cheese on a roll. How exotic! We should call it a bacon and egg roll with cheese or something...

Zona

Phwoar, bacon, eggs AND cheese on a roll. How exotic! We should call it a bacon and egg roll with cheese or something...

I'm supposed to post exotic? Compared to what, bread butter and cheese? I figured we may as well just make this thread be about tasty sandwich pictures between bafflement over cultural differences.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
AH2GYFi.jpg

Lunch today. Onion, mustard, provolone, turkey, lettuce, avocado, tomato on wheat. Served with BBQ chips and a dill pickle spear.
SMH @ chips as a side for lunch
(Though pickles can go to hell too)

Actually, breakfast is the most important meal :)
Ugh no. That's a myth.

read wiki article on crisp sandwich, which included this picture:

1024px-Potato_chip_sandwich.jpg

Europe, pls explain
What in the holy fuck.... :(

Kangi

Europe, pls explain
The "sandwiches" posted here before have been passable because they aren't actually sandwiches.

This, however, is an affront to all sandwiches.

Edit: My most recent American sandwich was a turkey melt made with some leftover Christmas turkey and Havarti cheese.

butzopower

proud of his butz
I'm supposed to post exotic? Compared to what, bread butter and cheese? I figured we may as well just make this thread be about tasty sandwich pictures between bafflement over cultural differences.

I think they're just making fun of the super obvious name for that sandwich and not the sandwich itself. That sandwich looks real good and I'm gonna seek something like that out for breakfast tomorrow. I'm currently in London, anyone have good sandwich suggestions? I still haven't tried the weird salt beef bagel thing, sort of a sandwich I guess?

Exalted

Another example of a sandwich, which i consider good, and is 90% bread, as most are here, compared to the reverse for the americans.

203200104001.jpg

butzopower

proud of his butz

Europe, pls explain

Not the sandwich GAF deserves, but the one GAF needs.

Unite all nations of sandwich-GAF and agree that any country that would accept this as a sandwich, or even food really, is just truly fucked up and backwards.

daviyoung

Banned
I think they're just making fun of the super obvious name for that sandwich and not the sandwich itself. That sandwich looks real good and I'm gonna seek something like that out for breakfast tomorrow. I'm currently in London, anyone have good sandwich suggestions? I still haven't tried the weird salt beef bagel thing, sort of a sandwich I guess?

There's a chain of shops called Eat! that do a similar breakfast sandwich as that guy posted.

Top Bottom