• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it just me or does there seem to be very little hype for Smash Bros. 4?

Anth0ny

Well, it's the most hyped Wii U game by far. Not that that's saying much...

I also think Brawl has a lot to do with it. It was arguably the most hyped game of all time with the Dojo, and ended up disappointing a lot of people. I don't think people are going to fall for that again, especially considering the way they are releasing info (1 screenshot a day, mostly boring ones at that). People want gameplay footage.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Same problem with Destiny. Drip feed of periphery information, almost complete absence of concrete gameplay information in favour of being coy, and most of the significant reveals have been status quo stuff. Both devs coming off of less than stellar titles, with a history of greatness.

It's just not exciting. Of course we all want the game, but it's more twiddling thumbs and praying the bread crumb Sakurai gives you today is slightly bigger than yesterday's bread crumb. A general problem with having a consistent stream of reveals.

There's less hype because of the disaster that was Brawl. Now people aren't sure if 4 will be even worth getting into. I know I'm going to rent before buying.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I'm not going to lie. I have nowhere near the hype for this game as I did for Brawl, and it was all thanks to the Dojo. With Brawl you were guaranteed at least something new every day, even if it was something tiny like widescreen mode or Piplup, and promoting widescreen mode was only resorted to because of a late delay to the game's launch messed the regular Dojo schedule up. Everything felt like a big deal.

Occasionally I'll check in on the GAF thread about it, and go "Ah, neat" when a regular character makes a return. And I do like the full-blown mini-trailers that reveal brand new characters. But most of the time, just single screenshots of the characters looking a bit goofy doesn't cut it for driving hype.

To sum up, the current "campaign" for Smash Bros. is more like a regular newspaper, whereas the Brawl Dojo felt like an advent calendar. Getting a brand new character felt like a Fun-Sized Mars bar had just been found.

I'm still buying the hell out of the game when it comes out.

Personally I'm not that hyped because I still have no idea when it's coming out. I've been wanting to join Smash Gaf though but I'm a little intimidated considering it's at thread #5, and I haven't posted in any of them I think.

Rikkun

No release date
We know half of the roster

I'm pretty sure I'll be there day one, but I don't care about updates as long as those updates are one silly image per day and one character I don't care about per month.

inopedes

Banned
What.

They're already at the fifth OT of SSB4, right? It's really rare that you see people talk about a game that much here on GAF. This kind of baffles me. How excited should people be? Ten pages of discussions on every single screenshot he posts? Your expectations are absurd. Honestly it seems to me like this it's pretty hyped, especially considering it's on a platform few own. Hell, The Witcher 3 is NeoGAF's most anticipated game and it's talked about way less than SSB4.

no one's listening.

Zalman

What.

They're already at the fifth OT of SSB4, right? It's really rare that you see people talk about a game that much here on GAF. This kind of baffles me. How excited should people be? Ten pages of discussions on every single screenshot he posts? Your expectations are absurd. Honestly it seems to me like this it's pretty hyped, especially considering it's on a platform few own. Hell, The Witcher 3 is NeoGAF's most anticipated game and it's talked about way less than SSB4.
This, QFT.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's not like it's coming out next week. The majority of hype for games comes when it is nearing release. We've got many months to go before Smash gets here.

Phediuk

They've used almost every character that anyone outside the most hardcore fans would care about.

Does anyone really want to play as an Animal Crossing guy? Really now.

Personally I don't get as hyped for character and stage announcements. My personal hype for the game depends on how good the online is.

If it has great netcode and I can read other people's moves and react and have a fun competition, then I'm really excited.

If the netcode is like Brawl, then I'll mostly be playing against bots. I don't live in a college apartment like I did when Melee came out and everyone had video game nights. A local multiplayer match would be very rare for me.

If somehow it had pixel-perfect online play (which is technically impossible), I would never need to buy another video game ever again.

Sulik2

We know almost nothing about it and its on the Wii U. Those are not exactly two conditions that are conducive to a hype train.

Kurtofan

We had gameplay information... We know they removed tripping and that the speed of the game is half-way between Melee and Brawl, also the game doesn't even have a release date yet.

ZeroCDR

I'm looking forward to it, but I'm not expecting to be blown away.

Nintendo clearly doesn't have a handle on online, which would be the biggest draw for me. Brawl is abysmal online; Input lag, friend codes, terrible options when playing with randoms.. Just awful. I have zero faith in the online component for the Wii U game, I hope to be proven wrong.

Parity with the 3DS roster is also a load of crap, Wii U needs this to be the biggest Smash it can be. Possibly being held back by 3DS space limitations is ridiculous, in which case they need to make each character count.. So I can't say I'm happy with all of the newcomers thus far.

Toxi

Banned
They've used almost every character that anyone outside the most hardcore fans would care about.

Actually, a lot of people did before Brawl came out. Animal Crossing has a lot of people who play it. There was also high demand for Megaman and Little Mac. And for unrevealed characters, Ridley is infamous for being highly requested, so we haven't used all the crazy popular characters yet.

Oshimai

For me I feel similarly to how I feel with most Nintendo titles, "Been there, done that". So my hype isn't there.

I was just about to type this.

When SSB first came out, it was an experience like no other. Not to mention I got to learn about some of the Nintendo characters I previously knew little about such as Captain Falcon and Samus.

So speaking of new experiences, I hope Sony's rumoured VR headset is something special if they show it at GDC this year.

Acerac

Banned
I played competitive Smash for years on end and was obsessively hyped for any new smash news.

Then Brawl happened. I've never been hyped for a new game since.

Might just be my imagination but whenever I go into the dojo thread, there appears to be very little excitement. Sure, when there's a new trailer or character revealed things change, but for the most part it appears to me like there's very little hype for SSB4 compared with SSBB.

Put it this way. When Sakurai had his daily updates for SSBB, you'd easily have 10 pages of discussion based on anything that he would post. Now? I casually entered the dojo thread the other day (in the day) to check out what was posted and I only had to go back a single page! Such a thing would never would have happened before.

As for myself, I'm in this really weird state at the moment. On the one hand, there's so many positive things that have been revealed that seem to make the game much more fun that SSBB (increased speed, removal of tripping, better brighter art style) and yet despite that...I'm still kinda meh at the moment.

isn't the 3ds and wii u thread gigantic and had multiple threads? This game is big. Maybe Nintendo want you to get hyped yourself rather than paying to hype it up with millions when they can put extra $ into the game. They don't have what to appears to be unlimited resources like Microsoft and Sony.

We're only getting a fraction of the info that we got for Brawl. The fact that we've gotten five OTs based almost entirely on boring pics with little info is amazing.

Of course, this won't stop people from pretending that Brawl crushed the hearts and souls of the entire gaming population.

Dahbomb

So many factors going into it:

*Lack of concrete game play information.
*Lack of high level match play to get the hardcore, competitive players interested.
*Lack of a solid release date.
*Lack of Wii U performance.
*Previous Smash Bros disappointed many people.
*No idea how the online will work (if it will even work properly).

That said there is still obvious hype for it, at least from the Smash fans.

Zalman

Yes, because Smash Bros. is about Nintendo's history, and Animal Crossing is a franchise that hadn't been represented in the roster.

marink

My hype will increase when there is a date announced. The daily pics are cool, but I like noticing all the new touches on my own.

vg260

I never followed this series, but follow other fighters, and it usually picks up as more concrete gameplay details are revealed.

I also just heard about the tripping thing in one of the older games, and can not believe they actually implemented that.

The Animal Crossing guy looks great. I am shocked you don't have qualms with the Wii Fit character.

GamerJM

Banned
Anything's going to seem like less in comparison to Brawl since that was like, the most hyped game ever. Those OTs are huge, though it's mainly just the same group of people posting in it every day (I should probably join I've been lurking for a while now). No Dojo means less hype though.

Also, I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised with the online if that's what you're worried about. I don't think it's going to be at the level of a lot of modern fighting games with GGPO netcode or something like Killer Instinct, but I would be very surprised if it's Brawl part 2. As someone who played several Wii/DS games online Brawl's netcode was exceptionally bad for a Wii game, it wasn't just because Nintendo sucked at online. And the Wii U does have improved online capabilities. It's probably not going to be good compared to other games on the market but I doubt it'll be unusably bad.

Competitive play, however, I wouldn't get your hopes up for at all. Anything is possible but eh.

Mit-

It's not going to be as fun as Project M, and I'm disappointed at how similar returning characters are to their Brawl counterparts and wish there were more new character content overall (moves and such, not necessarily actually new characters).

Also there's no exciting new single player mode or adventure.

Yes? He's the main character of one of Nintendo's largest franchises... That's not exactly scraping the bottom of the barrel. And it'd be near impossible to argue that nobody cares about megaman, especially a perfectly represented classic megaman.

It's on WiiU. Same reason a brand new 3D Mario didn't get that much hype (among other reasons I think).

Personally I'm hyped for it, but I don't plan on owning a WiiU any time soon so it's kept in check pretty well.

Hatchtag

Banned
I don't know. I personally think it's fairly hyped. But I'd probably blame the Wii U the most if it was under-hyped. There's just not many people who have a Wii U or are willing to buy a Wii U just for Smash Bros.
I know it's also on the 3DS, but handheld games rarely ever feel that hyped in the same way console games do.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Sometimes i feel like the only one who went from melee to brawl with no problems whatsoever.

I hear you. Any problems I had were entirely personal. Namely: I wasn't in college any more. No SSB will ever be what Melee was, I just no longer live the life that can produce that kind of experience.

Top Bottom