• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it just me or does there seem to be very little hype for Smash Bros. 4?

Ryce

Three things.

1. The Brawl Dojo was seven years ago. We're a lot older now. There's still lots of excitement for the new Smash Bros., but jadedness has hampered our expectations.

2. Brawl "hype" didn't begin in earnest until the Dojo launched with daily updates about six months before the game came out. We don't know anything about the new game's modes, online features, cross-platform connectivity, or release date. I suspect we'll start hearing about that kind of stuff at this year's E3.

3. Wii U.

Timeaisis

I'm super hyped about it. Brawl exposed everything early and everyone got overhyped to god knows where. They are going slow with SSB4 to not overdue it I guess.

The Smash OT is still really, really active and we get hyped over the most benign things. So I think it's just you. Wait till they announce a release date.

ec0ec0

We know NOTHING about it. N.O.T.H.I.N.G.

Knowing the roster doesnt tell us what we need to know:

How does it play!?

Really... give us real information already...

Platy

The amount of people here saying that it is the lack of gameplay info is .... sad.
Specialy the person who said tripping, that was denied LONG ago.

Today's pic had gameplay info!
Lots of info on mechanics like edge guarding, directional smash atacks, character balance and things like that always appear.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
no one's listening.

And for good reason.

So there's 5 threads since last June? Is that supposed to be impressive? Come on. Threads generally explode when a new character is revealed. The rest is taken care of by what I'm assuming are the same people who post in there usually, and who seem to do so more out of obligation than out of hype.

Not that there's anything wrong with that! But let's not call a spade a spade.

The Smash 4 hype will skyrocket as soon as there's more full-on gameplay footage or a public demo. Brawl had a good handful of them, but Smash 4 is being kept more under wraps for whatever reason.

I think Nintendo/Sakurai is deliberately trying to keep hype low after the backlash that Brawl suffered, and I definitely think that's a right move. Wait until E3 or so and then start bringing the Smash 4 news and playable demos and awesome characters and such so they still have a bunch of hype for the Fall/Winter release and don't run the risk of burning everyone out like with Brawl.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
My kids and I played the crap out of Melee back in the day. Brawl got some use, but not nearly as much. My youngest daughter is asking when this is coming to the U, but I'm honestly not excited at all. Been there, done that, and already know what to expect. The character reveals have been so ho-hum. I mean, do we really need "reveals" for the same characters that appear in the game over and over?

DarkKyo

I'm SUPER HYPED! Brawl was awesome and Melee was like crack, so I feel like they are going to strike the right balance(through their experience with the series and fan reception) and SSB4 will be the best yet.

Not much hype for it for me. Compared to brawl that was like, top 3 most hyped games ever for me.

Reasons being for me personally:

1. It's on fuckin Wii U
2. Brawl had absolutely horrible online that killed the game for me
3. No hype characters. Snake reveal was ballin.
4. Seemingly no new features that would get any hype from me.
5. It's on 3DS too so it kinda loses some of the ''true exclusive appeal''. I probably will end up getting it on 3DS even tho it prolly is the lesser version just because I have the hardware but at the same time I'm not hyped at all to play it on 3DS really.

And I'm actually one of the people that think Brawl played just fine. Aside from stupid stuff like tripping.

Waaghals

To speak more generally:

I think the hype of a given game is mostly based on the reception of the previous one.
If the community was disappointed in the last entry then you will have a much harder time hyping them for its successor.

This will be true even if said game fixes many of the issues with the one that came before.

I can't be sure if this is true, of course, but it would explain the lack of hype for both this game and the lukewarm reception GT6 got this holiday.

Both were large franchises with good, but perhaps disappointing prequels.

Rikkun

Not much hype for it for me. Compared to brawl that was like, top 3 most hyped games ever for me.

1. It's on fuckin Wii U
5. It's on 3DS too so it kinda loses some of the ''true exclusive appeal''. I probably will end up getting it on 3DS even tho it prolly is the lesser version just because I have the hardware but at the same time I'm not hyped at all to play it on 3DS really.

And I'm actually one of the people that think Brawl played just fine. Aside from stupid stuff like tripping.

You're killing me. Where did you want to play it? Smartphone? PC? PS4? Gameboy Color?

That might be because of the tiny install base on Wii U and, to me, this is not a game that I would buy on 3DS because I don't even have three friends with 3DS's to play with. It might be that people felt burned by Brawl as well and have tempered their expectations for SSB4.

ec0ec0

I am sorry if it was not clear.

I dont need them telling me how the game plays (with some lines or some photos), i want to see it myself (gameplay entire matches would be a great start) and, using that, they can explain my whats happening)

Jawmuncher

Not enough hype at least for me since the character reveals have been all over the place. Feels like to little info is coming out in general. I miss the dojo.........if they announce snake this month to coincide with ground zeroes though my hype will be through the roof until release though. You might say that sounds odd since GZ isn't coming to wii, but just remember how Brawl promoted MGS4 and had stickers from all the games and such.

Blizzard

Banned

1. It's on fuckin Wii U
This is one of the most anticipated Smash games for me.

1. It's on Wii U and that's okay because I already have one
2. It may be a different company handling online this time, plus I may be okay just playing offline especially if people start hacking online
3. Hype characters, Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina look awesome, and even Megaman and Villager look creative and neat.
4. I don't care about new features since I just want similar gameplay to before, with better graphics and some new characters.
5. I think exclusivity hurts consumers so I'm not one to cheer for it, though I might end up getting both. I hope not too much content requires having both versions for a full experience, however.

Overall, I think "hype" is a rather silly concept. It's a game I'm looking forward to, but only a bit of trophy or level information is typically revealed each day. Why should there be "hype" for that? It's a known, gradual quantity. More information continues to be released, and it continues to look cool, and I continue to anticipate the game.

rawktapus

And for good reason.

So there's 5 threads since last June? Is that supposed to be impressive? Come on. Threads generally explode when a new character is revealed. The rest is taken care of by what I'm assuming are the same people who post in there usually, and who seem to do so more out of obligation than out of hype.

I dont see any posts in the smash threads that feel like obligations. The hell does that even mean? People post because they like talking and speculating about the game

1. It's on fuckin Wii U

1. Where else would it be?

2. Sure, but I assume Nintendo has learned from that mistake. Don't most of the Online Wii U games run okay?

3. Megaman, while expected, was a pretty good "hype character". Now if you mean "unexpected" then that's not a valid reason a all of the characters have yet to be revealed.

4. Lack of tripping, re-balanced characters, exclusive stages or each version, new items/characters. What else do you want?

5. I don't even understand why this would be a problem. It's like complaining that PSASBR is on Vita as well as PS3.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Put me the camp people are excited, but the hype train isn't gonna really roll till we get more concrete info and a release date. Quick trailers showing off a new character can only go so far.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
And for good reason.

Technically that is five catch all threads. For big news such as stages and characters new threads are made so the amount of Smash 4 threads actually exceeds five. Also considering most games are lucky to even fill one thread I find it odd you consider five a small number.

Toxi

Banned
2. Brawl "hype" didn't begin in earnest until the Dojo launched with daily updates about six months before the game came out. We don't know anything about the new game's modes, online features, cross-platform connectivity, or release date. I suspect we'll start hearing about that kind of stuff at this year's E3.
But this is wrong; I was there. Brawl hype exploded with the very first reveal trailer.

"Holy shit, five new characters, Wario's finally here, Jesus Christ that music, HOLY SHIT IS THAT SOLID SNAKE?"

And Smash 4's reveal should have provoked a similar response with three new characters including HOLY SHIT MEGAMAN, yet it didn't.

Kouriozan

Because no Smash Dojo this time, it helped to get important news every week.
Edit : ^ there also was HOLY SHIT MEGAMAN and WTF WII FIT TRAINER too.
Need to check the 5 megathread.
naaaah, those thread reached 90k+ without any hype at all~

1. Where else would it be?

2. Sure, but I assume Nintendo has learned from that mistake. Don't most of the Online Wii U games run okay?

3. Megaman, while expected, was a pretty good "hype character". Now if you mean "unexpected" then that's not a valid reason a all of the characters have yet to be revealed.

4. Lack of tripping, re-balanced characters, exclusive stages or each version, new items/characters. What else do you want?

5. I don't even understand why this would be a problem. It's like complaining that PSASBR is on Vita as well as PS3.

What I mean with ''It's on fuckin Wii U'' I'm not implying it should be anywhere else. Just that Wii U is IMO such a device I'm not looking foreward to buying too much. I'd much rather play it on Wii U than 3DS but I actually own the latter. Thus I will most likely get it on 3DS.

As for 5 it was totally different situation for me with PSASBR. I owned both PS3 and Vita and liked both versions and with cross buy it wasn't even a question of preference. I just don't like playing on 3DS too much (especially with a version on HD console available) but it's either that or get a Wii U. If it was true exclusive for Wii U it would make the deal much more appealing (tho then again... I would have to buy a WU).

2. I obviously can't say if the online is good or not but I'm certainly not getting the hype after what happened with Brawl. Online was what I was looking foreward the most, and the same would be with this one.

As for 4. I'm not saying there should be some crazy new things for the game to be good. Just that they don't have anything to catch my interest to get hyped for the game.

Technically that is five catch all threads. For big news such as stages and characters new threads are made so the amount of Smash 4 threads actually exceeds five. Also considering most games are lucky to even fill one thread I find it odd you consider five a small number.

Nintendo speculation threads are usually hugely inflated though. No offense to any regulars in those threads but they're more like community threads. A lot of the posts are just banter.

DaBoss

Nintendo speculation threads are usually hugely inflated though. No offense to any regulars in those threads but they're more like community threads. A lot of the posts are just banter.
Some people in the thread definitely treat it like a community thread. I think that has been decreasing.

But there definitely is quite a bit of banter.

Roto13

Brawl sells like 12 million copies, kills the series.

Smash 4 fills up at least 4 OTs at least 8 months before the game even comes out, there's no hype for it.

What are you people on?

Brawl sells like 12 million copies, kills the series.

Smash 4 fills up at least 4 OTs at least 8 months before the game even comes out, there's no hype for it.

What are you people on?

I bought Brawl because of Melee. I will not be buying 4 without renting first because of Brawl. Just because it sold a lot doesn't mean if didn't to damage to the franchise.

Alienous

Brawl didn't give me the impression of being Melee 2, as it neared release.

Smash. 4 still looks like Brawl 2, to me. Derivative, and entirely missable.

Linkhero1

I'm hyped but I don't really post in the thread. I posted in the Brawl one because it was more exciting waiting for Japan Time. Now, I'll just wait until the game releases without expressing too much hype.

Axass

Metascore - 93%

"Damage."

Probably that line of thinking stems from the competitive scene. It's true that Brawl isn't as tight as Melee, but it's still a fun wonderful game and also an enormous achievement if you consider all the stuff they managed to squeeze in.

Besides I'm a Smash 64 guy: superior version forever.

And for good reason.

This is definitely true, it's the same subset of posters, who may not even necessarily be hyped for the game in the first place.
anecdotal source: myself

Metascore - 93%

"Damage."

damage isn't measured by metascore of the game in question

Astrates

I think people are probably just aching for something new from Nintendo. Every game they announce at the moment is the umpteenth sequel to something.

Ryce

Brawl was terrible. High metacritic score or not.
"Terrible," "damaging" games don't sell 12 million copies and garner critical acclaim. Sorry. A few hundred competitive players complaining online about tripping and "floatiness" is inconsequential.

Top Bottom