• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney" or "Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright"?

Stopdoor

ZzcSJf5m.png

nVbi0EEm.jpg

If you alphabetize your games, for ordering on a shelf or database or something, do you use "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney" or "Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright"? Do you feel the need to alphabetize the first game differently because of the reverse logo hierarchy?

The first choice feels dumb when you have to then alphabetize for other characters like "Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney" and "Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney". It feels intuitive that the series title should go first. But 'name first' does seem to be the official choice. Do you accept this or forge your own path?

L~A

First one. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.

About ordering games, why would you not do so chronologically (release date)?

Kurita

what

It's Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney obviously. Saying your name then your occupation is how you're supposed to do it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The correct game titles are:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice for All

And so on.

Regular alphabetical ordering never works for games anyway. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood shouldn't come before Assassin's Creed II.

Jakoo

ZzcSJf5m.png

nVbi0EEm.jpg

If you alphabetize your games, for ordering on a shelf or database or something, do you use "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney" or "Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright"? Do you feel the need to alphabetize the first game differently because of the reverse logo hierarchy?

The first choice feels dumb when you have to then alphabetize for other characters like "Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney" and "Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney". It feels intuitive that the series title should go first. But 'name first' does seem to be the official choice. Do you accept this or forge your own path?

The first game was "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney". I think they flipped the naming convention when they were trying to make "Ace Attorney" into a franchise.

ZeroX03

Banned

And so on.

Regular alphabetical ordering never works for games anyway. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood shouldn't come before Assassin's Creed II.

True.

The real answer is you should be alphabetizing to the series order. Japan it's a bit easier because it's clearly Gyakuten Saiban 1-6, although you'd probably put Kenji after as it's a spin off.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Phoenix Wright comes first, but I think you should sort them by release order anyway. PW trilogy, then Apollo Justice, Investigations and finally PLxPW. That is, unless you own the Japanese versions and are able to add a few more physical titles to your collection.

Stopdoor

First one. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.

About ordering games, why would you not do so chronologically (release date)?

Well, I'm actually more in the latter situation I mentioned, where this is getting sorted automatically in a database that doesn't include stuff like release date. Alphabetical makes sense for quick practical search.

And so on.

Man, I just can't do a dash subtitle. Looks terrible.

ZeroX03

Banned
Well, I'm actually more in the latter situation I mentioned, where this is getting sorted automatically in a database that doesn't include stuff like release date. Alphabetical makes sense for quick practical search.

Add the entry as Phoenix Wright 1 or Ace Attorney 3 or Gyakuten Saiban 5 or whatever, just keep it uniform. Release or chronological order is fine.

Menitta

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. Like how AA4 is Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney. I just call the series Ace Attorney.

It's Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney :'other subtitle'
And
Apollo Justice : Ace Attorney

Realtalk is that Apollo got scammed that 5 and 6 weren't Apollo Justice : Ace Attorney : Dual Destinies/Spirit of justice.

L~A

In that case, just remove the Phoenix Wright and keep just Ace Attorney (but add (Apollo Justice) for Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney to avoid confusion.

It's APOLLO JUSTICE!!!

One of these days, I'm going to play all the games start to finish past the first four. I do remember Justice for All not being as good. Final case was great, and I'd still replay the game, but the soundtrack was a noticeable step down.

Like, the successful objection music didn't sound like a, "OH SHIT, this guy is lying!" And it's one of the most-played songs in the games.

Stopdoor

In that case, just remove the Phoenix Wright and keep just Ace Attorney (but add (Apollo Justice) for Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney to avoid confusion.

Still seems confusing to me, haha. Might as well just do "Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright: Etc."

mrmickfran

And

Realtalk is that Apollo got scammed that 5 and 6 weren't Apollo Justice : Ace Attorney : Dual Destinies/Spirit of justice.
AA5 wasn't that focused on Apollo, but I agree about AA6.

Maybe that's why it's called Spirit of Justice.

Nosgoroth

To confuse the matter even more, the spinoffs are:

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
Ace Attorney Investigations 2: Uuuuh, oh wait this doesn't even have an official english title

If you're willing to put up with some mental gymnastics, you can sidestep the problem by archiving them as:

Gyakuten Kenji (AAI)
Gyakuten Kenji 2 (AAI2)
Gyakuten Saiban: Yomigaeru Gyakuten (AA1)
Gyakuten Saiban 2
Gyakuten Saiban 3
Gyakuten Saiban 4
Gyakuten Saiban 5
Gyakuten Saiban 6

Rob2K19

Get some tape. Write "Gyakuten Saiban *insert number if applicable*" on it. Slap it all over the English name. Problem solved.

Nightbird

And

Bolded would have confused me so much until a week ago lol. I am still surprised that i managed not to get spoiled on anything haha

AA5 wasn't that focused on Apollo, but I agree about AA6.

Maybe that's why it's called Spirit of Justice.

While it wasn't that focused on Apollo, it certainly had a large focus on him, and was essentially the second part of the Apollo Justice Trilogy.

Cody_D165

Banned
For my own personal shelves when it comes to inconsistent naming conventions like this I group the games by series so I can easily find them when I want to. Because placing "Apollo Justice Ace Attorney" that far away from the "Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney" games would be stupid. So in my case, I have them under "Ace Attorney" and in order of release.

The ones I can't stand are certain NES titles by Jaleco where THE FUCKING ENDLABELS JUST SAY JALECO ON THEM

To confuse the matter even more, the spinoffs are:

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
Ace Attorney Investigations 2: Uuuuh, oh wait this doesn't even have an official english title

If you're willing to put up with some mental gymnastics, you can sidestep the problem by archiving them as:

Gyakuten Kenji (AAI)
Gyakuten Kenji 2 (AAI2)
Gyakuten Saiban: Yomigaeru Gyakuten (AA1)
Gyakuten Saiban 2
Gyakuten Saiban 3
Gyakuten Saiban 4
Gyakuten Saiban 5
Gyakuten Saiban 6

But then what about Dai Gyakuten?!

I used "Phoenix Wright" back in the day but after 4 was announced, it was pretty obvious that Capcom needed to swap the titles. Took a little bit to get used to calling them AA instead of PW, but what are you gonna do?

Considering how many alternate characters you can play as, Ace Attorney works pretty well as a catch all title.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

But when you are alphabetizing on your shelf/spreadsheets, consider it the "Ace Attorney" series and put it in the A section, then place the games chronologically so you can keep Apollo Justice and Ace Attorney Investigations with the others.

Het_Nkik

The first choice feels dumb when you have to then alphabetize for other characters like "Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney" and "Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney".

When you have games in a series with different names, always alphabetize the first game correctly then the other games around it in-series chronologically.

Nobody is putting Zelda II: The Adventure of Link at the end of their shelf instead of right next to The Legend of Zelda.

(I have Rub Rabbits before Feel the Magic on my DS shelf.)

Mista Koo

Capcom wants the series to be Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright, but I feel like most people think of it as the Phoenix Wright series.

The first game was "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney". I think they flipped the naming convention when they were trying to make "Ace Attorney" into a franchise.
It was already a franchise on the GBA in Japan. They changed it in JFA (2006) probably during Apollo Justice's development (Japanese release 2007).

Capcom wants the series to be Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright, but I feel like most people think of it as the Phoenix Wright series.

It was already a franchise on the GBA in Japan. They changed it in JFA (2006) probably during Apollo Justice's development (Japanese release 2007).

Yeah I have to say I've always called the series "Phoenix Wright". The whole "Ace Attorney is the name of the series" retcon always felt kinda shoehorned to me. "Phoenix Wright" is so much more fun to say.

Regiruler

Man, I just can't do a dash subtitle. Looks terrible.

Then just use their shorthand names.

Ace Attorney: Justice for All

rekameohs

Banned
I put em all under the A's in my collection since Apollo + Investigations would be out of place if you use the actual first letter.

Capcom wants the series to be Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright, but I feel like most people think of it as the Phoenix Wright series..

Uh, what makes you say that?

In eshop listings, for instance, where capcom must have decided the name, it's listed as Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney -Subtitle, but I feel like it's the opposite, people always refer to the series as Ace Attorney.

Top Bottom