• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it possible to train yourself to be ambidextrous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there proven methods or exercises to do this? People seem to be able to type or play instruments with both hands. Can I hypothetically train myself to draw or sketch with both hands simultaneously?

You can gain equivalent degrees of dexterity with your non dominant hand but I don't think that you can 'become' ambidextrous. That might seem like a bit of a pedantic distinction though.

Taking up juggling would probably be good practice for that sort of thing, though.

HORRORSHØW

yes. i primarily write with my left hand. i eat with both hands (spoon/fork with my right hand/chopsticks with my left). i throw with my right hand; i bat with my left.

Yes, my mother was forced to. Weird, different times.
My grandmother was forced to use her right hand.

I don't know if it's truly ambidextrous, but she's at like 95% there. Whatever she can do with one hand she can do with the other. Write, sew, you name it.

Grimløck;111187054 said:
yes. i primarily write with my left hand. i eat with both hands (spoon/fork with my right hand/chopsticks with my left). i throw with my right hand; i bat with my left.

I'm similar.

Write with left.
Drum right handed.
Swing bat, golf club, etc. right handed.
Wipe butt with right hand.
Eat with both hands.
I kick with and jump off my right foot.
When I used to skateboard, I used to push with my right foot but would ride with it in front as well. I think it's called "Mongo" (+ I ride goofy) and apparently it's rare/weird.

Aeana

My mother trained herself to use her right hand because she was shamed heavily for being left-handed by a lot of people while growing up, so I'd say yes.

as far as writing goes. i'm right handed. sad thing is that it looks no different from left lol

ZokzMLp.jpg

Fou-Lu

I imagine so. I've always thought it to be really weird that I write with my right hand and do everything else lefty. (Except play guitar, I originally did that lefty but somehow when I picked up a guitar again it just felt wrong to do lefty)

I masturbate with my left hand. One day, after using the wrong type of cleaner on a hardwood floor, I slipped while walking to the kitchen. I injured my left elbow, causing the area around it to swell up, and wasn't able to use that arm for a few weeks. One night, I tried masturbating with my right hand; it took a couple of hours or so, but I successfully finished. I trained myself and continuously got better with it.

VtCzt5v.jpg

I believe it is possible if you never give up.

Norml

This is one reason I'm glad to be a lefty.All the right handed things has made me semi ambidextrous :D I think drawing would be hard to pick up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom