• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it "The Coast is Clear" or "The Ghost is Clear"?

Polk

Which makes me ask, when did this sort of smuggling start? Smuggling is originally a way to get goods past authorities so they don't need to pay import tax. When was the first usage of import tax? Did the ancient Romans or Chinese tax imports? Or was it done later? Smuggling is also a way to get supplies and weapons through to insurgents as well but that would be a rarer use.
Romans had customs taxes (portoria).

soqquatto

bare with me
waiting with baited breath
with all intensive purposes
low and behold
nip it in the butt
taken for granite
sneak peak
extract revenge
shoe-in
slight of hand
it's a mute point
case and point
wreck havoc

and of course

I could care less

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Why don't people stop to think for just a second? That solves most questions right there. Every time I hear a phrase or see a word I don't know, I look it up. Why the hell would it be "up and Adam"? Think about it and it makes zero sense. Why not look it up and within seconds you'll have found the answer and you're a smarter person for it. It really baffles me how people could even think the things they do sometimes. I know the thread is most likely made for fun, but the stupidity of people on even the simplest of things really bothers me.

Don't cut off your nose despite your face.

slider

Fuck me, that's a phrase that needs to exist. The Ghost Is Clear.

Add it to "then who was phone" which, whilst massively overplayed, still gets a chuckle from me.

Yay, Spoonerisms (okay Mondegreens) thread.

Reminds me of a poster on another forum who insisted on using terms like "nowandays" over and over in his forum "threats."

Do we know yet what kind of shady activity OP was even part of to be saying "The coast is clear"?

You don't just say the coast is clear, unless you're up to no good.

So much missinformation in here.

It's "the ghost is clear"

An adaption of a very old idiom "the ghost is queer".

It is an olde english term from medival times when ghosts where common place along with knights, dragons, wizards and elves. Most ghosts were mundane and normal things but every now and then one would be up to no good and act weird by haunting someone. Hence the term "the ghost is queer". Queer simply used to mean weird back then. As ghosts became extinct the term slowly attapted into "the ghost is clear" meaning "nothing in here, not even a ghost".

It's pretty common knowledge here in England.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Mind blown. I can't believe I've never see this phrase in writing before. At least "tow the line" makes sense, unlike this ghost nonsense.

...how does "tow the line" make more sense than "toe the line?"

How have you ever heard the expression used where "tow the line" made more sense? The idiom means to follow orders or conform to a standard. How would using a tow truck to pull a god damn line make any sense?

I used to say "Jesus Age Christ" all the time growing up until one day I heard someone near me very distinctly say "Jesus H Christ"

H?
What does the H mean?
And why did everyone let me say Age for so long!

Top Bottom