• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it "The Coast is Clear" or "The Ghost is Clear"?

giphy.gif

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
My wife pronounced wheelbarrow as "wheel barrel" until a few years ago.

She never realized that she was wrong, and nobody in her family ever told her. They just never felt the need to correct her and allowed her to say it wrong for 25 years
My wife would say 'fairy up liquid' instead of 'fairy washing up liquid', I never noticed (I knew what she was talking about) until it was pointed out to me.

I've started saying it now out of badness.

Aizo

Banned
The most shocking thing that I've learned from this thread is that I misunderstood why this one girl stopped talking to me. She just up and vanished, and I thought my friends said that she "coasted," which I inferred as being slang for "She had to move to the coast," so I understood that she was quite busy and we'd not be seeing each other anymore.

But now I learn that she was a ghost? I'm glad we stopped talking then. I don't need more hauntings in my life.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
So like, translucent just means less light passes thru? Or the light is more spread?

Hang on tho does that mean ghosts are transparent or translucent

Ghosts are definitely translucent otherwise they'd be invisible. Question is, does "clear" necessarily mean completely transparent?
It's possible to have clear yellow plastic for example.

Ghosts are definitely translucent otherwise they'd be invisible. Question is, does "clear" necessarily mean completely transparent?
Well most ghosts are transparent and invisible since you cant even see them. They usually slam doors and shake light fixtures without you being able to see them. So I think they can be both actually depending on their methods of daunting.

norm9

It's the ghost's ectoplasm that's translucent. The ghost itself is still invisible so the saying "the ghost is clear" is technically correct.

This thread is a good thing and the OP is to be commended, because at least OP asked as opposed to saying it incorrectly.

Now if only we could get everyone who writes that something "peaked [their] interest" to have their interest piqued to find out whether they're writing it wrong or not.
And that's without even getting into all the people who write "per se" wrong (per se: "per say")

cordy

Banned
I have never, ever NEVER EVER heard "the ghost is clear" like what the fuck is this some accent thing?

Yo this topic is fucked up

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Well most ghosts are transparent and invisible since you cant even see them. They usually slam doors and shake light fixtures without you being able to see them. So I think they can be both actually depending on their methods of daunting.

So the saying "the ghost is clear" means danger is present but undetectable. Makes perfect sense.

aeolustl

Pretty sure it's the ghost is clear.
Just like the following:
Carrot on a steak
As easy as Pi
Rest in Piece
The glass is always clearer on the other side of the fence
A peace of cake

Top Bottom