• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Japanese gaming back on form?

zMiiChy-

Banned
Imo quality Japanese gaming never really left. They just focused mostly on handhelds rather than home consoles for the past ten years or so.
I don't think that's true - the quality output on handhelds seemed to diminised as well post PS2 era.
The last Nintendo handheld I genuinely enjoyed was the GBA.

I still can't think of many games I enjoyed on the 3DS, but I'm glad the Vita is still receiving support in 2017.

atpbx

I agree with this post. If golden age was SNES/PS1 era or even PS2/DC era then the beginning of HD era(PS3/360) was the dark ages.

I was going to say, the out put back then, both in quality and quantity was stellar.

Recent times is a slight return to form, but still nowhere near where it used to be.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I think it's on the upswing after a long and frustrating previous gen. But I wonder... for how long? The console market is shrinking every year, mobile keeps rising... I'm only hoping companies funnel their mobile and service game profits into traditional experiences, but who knows if that will continue to happen?

Playing Nioh right now and man, this thread is pretty bizarre in the light of releases like FFXV, Nioh, Nier and Persona 5. Japan is fucking killing it. FFXV was pretty damn good and might well end up the weakest out of that bunch. I'm playing Nioh right now and it's shaping up to be the next Demon's Souls. I can't come up with a Western dev I'd trust to develop a game with mechanics half as sophisticated let alone on the level of Nioh's. In Japan, you got about three of them with Platinum, FROM and Team Ninja.

edit: Also non-RPG stuff like RE7 etc. God I love Japanese games.

Top Bottom