• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Knuckles the Echidna's feminist statement accurate?

Using an inportant issue like gender equality for a simple 'joke' is bad.

This is another reason to dislike what has happened to sonic since they rebooted everything. I never cared for the new designs of sonic boom.

You got to be careful how you introduce feminism to kids. this is the first time I was actually introduced to the concept of feminism.

7cc5f57fcbce3557fb6094ac1782acdf--background-pics-powerpuff-girls.jpg
The Straw Feminist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnJxqRLg9x0

Glad Genndy got better with female characters later on.

CloudWolf

This seems like such a weird place for such an argument. This is a show aimed at preschoolers, right? Do they even understand concepts like "glass ceiling"?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Knuckles got whitewashed.

Straight up, I ain't joking.
The other thread got locked so I'll remind everyone here: Knuckles is definitely intended to have dreadlocks.

He's from an island setting. The first level plays Genesis approximation of steel drums...

He's Jamaican.

jediyoshi

It's some "don't mention sexism and everything will be fine" bullshit people use to pretend like there's no problem.

That's interesting, though at some point it sounds like a conflation between the idea of active/passive roles in the conversation. When Joss Whedon made the comment forever ago responding to why he writes about strong women saying "Because you are still asking me the question," my take away was that people generally sided with his stance.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Regardless of the question if it's wrong per se or not, it's still a better actual discussion starter than 95% of "PC" internet can come up with.

Coming from Knuckles the Echidna.

Temp_User

A laudable but flawed attempt of mixing feminism and humor in a children's cartoon.

Also, this thread is making me want to watch this goddamn show.

Despite being a Sonic Cartoon in 201X and being based on one of the most hated Sonic things to exist, this show is pretty good for what it is. It's a pretty fun watch.

Heres a picture of Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles in a boy band called Dreamboat Express

Village

For the topic itself yeah that's dumb

But this show having dumb writing is par for the course

Why the fuck does Shadow sound like a bootleg Frieza.

Because kirk thorton has one voice

And that voice shouldn't be voicing shadow the hedgehog

Its like steveblum, he has A voice, its a good voice. But he got one, he shouldn't play everyone.

The scene is hilarious, but what Knuckles is saying is actually dumb as hell.

It's some "don't mention sexism and everything will be fine" bullshit people use to pretend like there's no problem.

Sonic Mania out August 15th

Also never mention women's accomplishments and milestones. This is YouTube MRA "feminism" and its kind of disturbing to find in a kids show.

Monocle

First off, why the fuck does this exist

second, no, of course it's not. Gender inequality is the status quo. I mean, I get what he's saying that it doesn't have to be acknowledged every time it happens, but I prefer overemphasis over trying to pretend it isn't.
This right here is the key.

G.O.O.

He's telling her that she's creating the glass ceiling by acknowledging that said class ceiling exists.

He suggesting that one must act like equality exists even though it doesn't because to acknowledge that fact undermines the goal.

It's nonsense
But said glass ceiling is a matter of confidence here, about how society teaches girls that they can't be better than boys at sports - and if they can, they're the exception.

It's not like the glass ceiling in a professional environment, where patriarchy actively undermines women's successes and careers. Wage gap, sexist jokes, manterrupting, the kind of thing that actually deserves to be pointed out and discussed.

The statement might be clunky. But honestly it's already hard to discuss this matter between adults in a comprehensive fashion.

I think Knuckles's argument, while well-meaning, is flawed. That said, this thread has done a marvelous job of selling me on the show. Jesus Christ.

daviyoung

Banned
That is actually anti-feminist. Calling out inequality does not undermine inequality. As long as we haven't reached it, there will only be exceptions. We aren't at status quo, and pretending we are isn't going to get us there. What a stupid pointy handed rodent.

Ash735

Dunno, I think he's kinda right ?

Amy is basically self-depreciating by asking whether or not a woman can be as good as a man, he's saying that the question implies that women are inherently worse than men at sports and that she's setting herself as an exception should she succeed

So is it mansplaining if he's basically telling her she shouldn't feel held back by her gender ?
That's the intention of it, yes, and that's what I picked up on too, but apparently for most this flew completely over their heads. As stated, it's the Lisa Simpson joke where she wanted to play football so she could prove girls can do what boys, only to be shut down once she noticed there were already other girls playing.

Doukou

That is actually anti-feminist. Calling out inequality does not undermine inequality. As long as we haven't reached it, there will only be exceptions. We aren't at status quo, and pretending we are isn't going to get us there. What a stupid pointy handed rodent.

Watch your tongue
He is a Monotreme

depressingly so! Knuckles when introduced was a tribal creature, an analogue for south America tribes, a proud and stoic warrior
Or that's what I saw as a kid playing Sonic 3&K

As I got older and the Adventure games came out he seems to retain that somewhat, but went less tribal more jock

and now were at full on sack of meat with no brain

Sonic boom just is so bad

I thought the point of his line was that women can obviously already perform as well as men athletically, taking away from her statement that she'd be the one to prove it once and for all? Though I get where the confusion is coming from; the line is written clunkily to try and sound smarter.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
depressingly so! Knuckles when introduced was a tribal creature, an analogue for south America tribes, a proud and stoic warrior
Or that's what I saw as a kid playing Sonic 3&K

As I got older and the Adventure games came out he seems to retain that somewhat, but went less tribal more jock

and now were at full on sack of meat with no brain

Sonic boom just is so bad
GwrOyY4.gif

Eumi

It's up to interpretation. The line can be seen as claiming that drawing any attention to inequality is itself sexist, which is an argument usually deployed in an attempt to shut down feminist discussion.

On the other hand, the statement is being directed at a close friend, and so it is easy to see it as Knuckles showing support for Amy, and trying to say that she shouldn't place herself below the men of the group as she has done here, as Knuckles believes she is already their equal and that he is merely disagreeing with the idea that she has to 'break through' anything at all when she is with them.

Frankly, we can't fully appreciate the statement without knowledge of Knuckles' greater feminist beliefs and the actions he takes with regards to them.

What the fuck is happening?

I need to know why people are cracking up about this. Is it just Knuckle's strange facial expression? Is there an extra genuis layer to this joke my plebian brain isn't percieving?

Well for me it's the subversion of the answer he gave. He completely ignores the first half of the question and gives an out of context self deprecation answer to the second half of the question. Also the delivery and speed of said delivery is spot on.

So Knuckles has basically become a good-hearted dumb white surfer dude with dreads, eh?
Interesting change.
Did they change anyone else?

Nightbird

It's up to interpretation. The line can be seen as claiming that drawing any attention to inequality is itself sexist, which is an argument usually deployed in an attempt to shut down feminist discussion.

On the other hand, the statement is being directed at a close friend, and so it is easy to see it as Knuckles showing support for Amy, and trying to say that she shouldn't place herself below the men of the group as she has done here, as Knuckles believes she is already their equal and that he is merely disagreeing with the idea that she has to 'break through' anything at all when she is with them.

Frankly, we can't fully appreciate the statement without knowledge of Knuckles' greater feminist beliefs and the actions he takes with regards to them.

What the fuck is happening?

This is how i saw that stement too, but i don't think i could have worded it any better

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
his point makes sense.

And honestly I take it more as shitting on a really terrible trope that plagued many a cartoon. You know those girl power episodes? I'm all for gender equality, but when the show does something like this, 90% of the time it's written terrible. Suddenly the cast becomes an ass to each other. Suddenly the character who is always useful and never complained about anything suddenly has "problems" and needs to prove himself.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Neogaf is the only place I've seen that sees this negative. I've seen other pro-gender equality people claiming it's a nice message for kids.

You got to be careful how you introduce feminism to kids. this is the first time I was actually introduced to the concept of feminism.

7cc5f57fcbce3557fb6094ac1782acdf--background-pics-powerpuff-girls.jpg
The Straw Feminist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnJxqRLg9x0

Glad Genndy got better with female characters later on.

but that was a good episode? go watch it, it's not just a strawman, you actually get female characters telling that you should follow the law regardless of your gender, and that they used a historical example of a female person not wanting to be treated special as a sign of equality

obviously real life is more complex, but that explanation is pretty valid

lol.
Poor ol' Craig McCracken, everyone seems to think Genndy was the man behind The Powerpuff Girls.

Anyways the "Equal Fights" episode of PPG was mostly Lauren Faust's story, and she has admitted multiple times that it is an old shame of her's.
Glad to be corrected. Didn't know Lauren also worked on The Maxx, one of my favourite and darkest cartoons ever.

Top Bottom