• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Knuckles the Echidna's feminist statement accurate?

Eusis

It's insane what Sega and Cartoon Network let them do with this show lol.
The people who probably would have cared were probably exposed to what they've done with Sonic online and realized this wasn't a character worth defending the public image of anymore. Alternatively, the only way to fight back was allowing this sort of thing to run wild.

It's kind of like a softer, less extreme version of what happened with Conker when you think about it, actually.

Quonny

It needed another sentence or two discussing how even though everything he just said is technically true, the issue should be openly discussed to move the conversation forward.

But that would be too long for the average kid's attention span.

rackham

Banned
Just spent the last 10 minutes on youtube watching Sonic Boom videos which actually seems like a pretty funny show

also Amy is pretty sexy wtf m8s

don't worry youngblood, your tastes will mature once you grow up

*pats your head*

Beef, say this knowing that I hold many less than acceptable opinions myself, but you are one of the last people who should be criticizing anyone for their taste, only topped by Slayven and Cipher "I find hiccups to be an enjoyable experience" Peon.

rackham

Banned
i like how they just completely gave up and handed the sonic franchise over to the ironic memers

This is a serious question, but what do you expect from an IP where the plot involved an anthropomorphic hedgehog fighting an evil scientist who is shaped like and named after eggs. A plot where this hedgehog also happens to be romantically involved with a human princess at one point.

SEGA made Sonic an ironic meme, no one else.

The quote in the OP is dumb as hell and does more harm than good even if it comes from a good place, that being said the sheer context of the situation and the rest of the screencaps in this thread more than make up for it.

TheOGB

Banned
I thought it was funny but I don't think it's "right," more a different school of thought kind of thing.

But of course it does end up being harmful in that certain people take this to be "right" and celebrate mansplaining feminism from a dumb cheeky moment from a Sonic cartoon

Just one step in Sonic's woke history:

CW50LXxU0AEFj2z.jpg

Glass Rebel

Against my better judgement I will try to unpack this...

I think this is a case where writing and humour got in the way of conveying a deeper message. Not implying that women can't have misconceptions about feminism but there seems to be a genuine attempt here, hampered by the fact that it had to be written within the framework of Sonic Boom.

The first half of Knuckles' statement about the "undermining of the concept of gender equality" has some merit. Explicitly calling attention to breaking of gender roles in media is an acknowledgment of said (forced) gender roles and to a certain degree removes women's autonomy by implying that most simply adhere to them. Certainly, one can also make the argument that any pointing out of women "breaking the mold" is a celebration of women's autonomy within a patriarchal system and their ability to break free from it. I think both stances are valid.
The second part of his statement, however, goes too far in the sense that it tries to explain what I did above but has to do so in a succinct way. Dialogue in TV shows has to be snappy, otherwise you end up with stuff like True Detective Season 2. This goes especially for shows directed at kids. The way Knuckles' statement is phrased, it sounds as if he is denying the existence of gender inequality whereas it seems obvious that Knuckles is bemoaning the "status quo". In other words, Knuckles isn't talking about how things are but how they should be. He is for gender equality.
The message is further muddied by what Amy says before:

As I explained earlier, Knuckles is advocating for the autonomy of women. However, Amy, in evoking the metaphor of the "glass ceiling", an image that was coined by and gained traction within feminist circles, is talking about external limiting factors. Essentially, Knuckles and Amy are talking about two very different things here, which is where the problematic nature of Knuckles' statement stems from.

On the matter of mansplaining: It is true that Sticks the Badger could have delivered this speech. She is visible here on the left and clearly part of the conversation:

And this is another instance where the framework of Sonic Boom got into the way of the message the writer tried to convey. In this scene, the humour arising from the fact that it is Knuckles delivering this little speech, is intended to be the vehicle for the writer's message. What the writer is trying to say is that even a self-professed "meathead" like Knuckles can be a feminist but by doing so she inevitably puts him into a non-feminist position i.e. making him "mansplain" gender equality to Amy. Through this constellation of characters and the choice of humour as vehicle, the writer has essentially written herself into a corner. It certainly does not help that his explanation is flawed but I am willing to give the writer the benefit of the doubt here.

One has to also consider the nature of the show here. Sonic Boom does frequently break the fourth wall and feature self-deprecating humour. I am an advocate of the death of the author but Knuckles' comment can be seen as a meta-commentary on the cliched "You Go, Girl!" trope, essentially making him the writer's mouthpiece.

So to conclude, this was not a very effective way to introduce feminism and gender equality to children but I think the writer had the best intentions. I think it's important that TV shows for children try to tackle heavier subject matters like this but they also have to be very careful about it. The mere intention of conveying a positive message does not absolve one from potential missteps.

Now excuse me while I go to bed and think about why I am analyzing Sonic fucking Boom in the year of our lord 2017.

SubjectNineteen

Neo Member
I mean, in a vacuum, he's right, but that ignores the cultural inequality already present. We acknowledge and celebrate minority successes because they're so few and far between.

Absolutely! I couldn't say it any more eloquently or succinctly, though I was trying. Words failed. Neshcom's post voices my thoughts on Knuckles' words perfectly.

Like, I get what Knuckles is trying to say. (Am I really discussing feminism in the context of the freaking Sonic universe!?) And, as Neshcom said, he's sort of right -- but only in a truly equal world.

The problem I have is that by not taking the opportunity to bring attention to or outright extol the accomplishments (and challenges) of classically underrepresented populations, like people of color and women, for example, is that there is a strong likelihood that no one will bring them up. As such, they may continue to go unnoticed by the general population, and thus remain an exception to the rule, rather than becoming the status quo, as Knuckles alleges they are. And in our world, they're clearly not.

So, I see Knuckles as basically meaning well, but essentially, albeit unintentionally, advocating the continued silence of those that would draw attention to the challenges and successes of underrepresented populations, because if no one mentions them, then how will they be brought into the public's consciousness? And if the public continues to be unaware of those things, then how will gender equality/racial equality/etc. become status quo? Most change doesn't happen in silence.

SubjectNineteen

Neo Member
;)
It's a reference to the movie Dodgeball. Felt right to write it like that given that we are talking about something completely non intellectual like Sonic.

Oh, that's a double win! Dodgeball was admittedly a bit of a guilty pleasure film of mine when it came out. "Dodge, dive, dip, duck, and dodge!"

I'm just trying to find some light at the end of this tunnel cuz everyone seems a little heated off this cartoon.

But there isn't.

Even as a joke it's left uncorrected.

So it's introducing an idea to kids that acknowledging inequality and women's achievements undermines the fight for equality. It's a bad message

I agree, it's definitely clunky, but I dont think you're interpreting it correctly. It's not the mere acknowledgement of a status quo, it's accepting stereotypes as facts that need to be disproven that's the problem. Acknowledging them as real isn't a great way to get rid of them because they're not based in fact in the first place.

What?

She's not accepting stereotypes as fact. She's aim to shatter them. She's acknowledging the stereotype exists in popular culture and society.

Fj0823

I just want to post in what looks like a Legendary Thread.

Also Knuckles is right if you think the "status quo" as the fact that men and women are equal itself. He's wrong if he's referring to today's society.

Also Knuckles is right if you think the "status quo" as the fact that men and women are equal itself. He's wrong if he's referring to today's society.

maybe in the sonic boom society they are truly equal?

It needed another sentence or two discussing how even though everything he just said is technically true, the issue should be openly discussed to move the conversation forward.

But that would be too long for the average kid's attention span.

But it's not technically true.

Nothing he said makes any sense as a feminist statement

But that's nonsense because men and women are not treated equally in society, you can't pretend that it is and thus say nothing about inequality.

maybe in the sonic boom society they are truly equal?

Then Amy wouldn't be even talking about breaking the glass ceiling and Knuckles wouldn't mention the fight for equality

VariantX

Kind of glad that Sonic Boom is its own thing at this point completely separate from the games themselves so you can get weird and sometimes poorly delivered jokes like this one, and hilarious ones that poke fun at context surrounding the fandom surrounding the franchise as its own. As for what was attempted...probably not enough time to do it right for an 12 minute episode.

The scene is hilarious, but what Knuckles is saying is actually dumb as hell.

It's some "don't mention sexism and everything will be fine" bullshit people use to pretend like there's no problem.

Sonic Mania out August 15th

And yet, everyone on Twitter and YouTube is up and in arms about this being an attack on male society.

Top Bottom