• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Knuckles the Echidna's feminist statement accurate?

IHaveIce

Banned
Holy shit I fucking lost it reading this thread, I recorded myself while reading it.

Never knew Sonic Boom had so much potential

Puruzi

Banned
Sonic Boom come season 2 is a genuinely funny show. The writers just straight up don't give a fuck and meme on everything

HR6I4oE.jpg

I think the writer's intention was good but fumbled the execution. For one they didn't think about it coming across as mansplaining.

Yeah, they clearly had good intentions but just missed the mark. The people in here acting like this is the writer being a shithead and are using it as another reason to dog pile on a dead horse is embarrassing.

Having watched quite a bit of season 1, I can confirm this show is capable of amazing lines and moments. It's just kind of lost in it feeling rather empty and the incidental music being incredibly inconsistent.

Sonic Boom come season 2 is a genuinely funny show. The writers just straight up don't give a fuck and meme on everything

HR6I4oE.jpg

This is almost as good as the time the show revealed itself to take place within the mind of a Sonic furry.

I mean look at these they're great. Although the thread topic is kinda the definition of mansplaining.

rtcn63

Sonic Boom Knuckles is the guy who steals your girlfriend. No brains, all height and muscle. Plus he's red.

junpei

You got to be careful how you introduce feminism to kids. this is the first time I was actually introduced to the concept of feminism.

7cc5f57fcbce3557fb6094ac1782acdf--background-pics-powerpuff-girls.jpg

PSqueak

Banned
Not really asking to get into a big thing about it...

But I've never really understood the concept of mansplaining. Like, does the man have to be wrong? Does he have to be condescending about it? Is it literally any time a man explains something to a woman?

It's the bolded, because of the idea of men explaining things to women with the instant assumption that women wouldn't know because they're not men.

There are all different types of Feminist with different ideologies. What Knuckles was saying is good, in theory. I think that's what the writer was going for. He had a good heart but he's still clumsy.

On that note, I can't believe I am discussing this on a Sonic thread.

No feminist worth a salt (well except fake feminists like Christina Hoff Summers) is going to say don't point out women's achievements because if you do you're just undermining gender equality.

That's fucking nonsense. You don't act like equality is the norm when it isn't.

So... Sonic Boom writers try to implement a positive feminist message into their show as a cute joke but because it wasn't executed perfectly some are using this as an excuse to say "Another reason Sonic is trash" or "fuck the last 25 years of Sonic".

Is it so hard to just appreciate the attempt and not shitpost about Sonic like what happens in nearly every Sonic thread? Your hot takes aren't anything new.

As long as Sonic continues to have such an odd fan base who produces stuff such as this, Sonic will never stop being ridiculed.

Dunno, I think he's kinda right ?

Amy is basically self-depreciating by asking whether or not a woman can be as good as a man, he's saying that the question implies that women are inherently worse than men at sports and that she's setting herself as an exception should she succeed

So is it mansplaining if he's basically telling her she shouldn't feel held back by her gender ?

He's telling her that she's creating the glass ceiling by acknowledging that said class ceiling exists.

He suggesting that one must act like equality exists even though it doesn't because to acknowledge that fact undermines the goal.

It's nonsense

LionPride

Banned
Sonic Transformed is the best kart/arcade racer.

Sonic Colors, Generations, Advance, Rush and some others okay. Mania looking strong enough to make up for whatever that other mess is. And of course that Adventure nostalgia
hides how awful of a series that was. Not good games.
Sonic ain't good

Just a fact

I definitely agree there. Sonic and Knuckles was th3 last good Sonic game.

Though I like 3D Blast.
Shit's just...nah not good

What is this...

Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles and Sonic CD are 3 of my favorite games of all time
Good for you

Real talk, I think this is one of those things slipped into a kid's show that makes kids go up to their parents and start asking big quesitons. Questions that are usually never brought up.
This is my takeaway.
It's a children's show, so kids won't really understand what actually just happened and may be curious to know more. I wouldnt dig much deeper than that.

Eusis

Lol �� lets enslave all animals and destroy the world nearly multiple times but nah he is a true romanticus and feminist!

Edit: ah and ofcourse a true gentleman:p
Maybe he comes from a future where he's driven completely insane by the fact Trump won? Was just a regular aircraft engineer until that happened!

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
You know, I bet Knuckles voted for Trump because he doesn't want those Mexicans stealing his Master Emerald.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
No feminist worth a salt (well except fake feminists like Christina Hoff Summers) is going to say don't point out women's achievements because if you do you're just undermining gender equality.

He's telling her that she's creating the glass ceiling by acknowledging that said class ceiling exists.

He suggesting that one must act like equality exists even though it doesn't because to acknowledge that fact undermines the goal.

It's nonsense
Ding ding. As others said. It certainly seems a lot like mansplaining.

I'm just trying to find some light at the end of this tunnel cuz everyone seems a little heated off this cartoon.

NimbusD

Scene/tweet has a lot of positive feedback (and like 40k likes). Thoughts? On one hand I see the logic in his statement but on the other hand its like I never thought of gender equality to be so..literal? Like, does acknowledging the current lack of a status quo mean you don't believe gender equality to be worth working towards? Scene feels clunky, though I do like unabashed mentions of feminism in media (a far cry from older examples in cartoons)
I agree, it's definitely clunky, but I dont think you're interpreting it correctly. It's not the mere acknowledgement of a status quo, it's accepting stereotypes as facts that need to be disproven that's the problem. Acknowledging them as real isn't a great way to get rid of them because they're not based in fact in the first place.

Top Bottom