• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is metal coming back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karasu

The first time we saw the video for "Smells Like Teen Spirit," we didn't say a WORD after it...just rewound it and watched it again twice.

I did the exact same thing, and I didn't listen to anything but hip hop back then.

bionic77

karasu said:
I did the exact same thing, and I didn't listen to anything but hip hop back then.

Yup. That sounds was just so different and refreshing at the time and the video caputured it perfectly.

Gorey

It's a little wierd listening to some of these recollections on Nirvana. I was very heavily into the punk/hardcore scene at the time, had been for years. There was so much amazing music happening that was 'under the radar'..... When Nirvana started gathering steam with Bleach, it all seemed to blow up. Virtually every band I listened to ended up on a major label, and then dissapeared, all in this space of two or three years. Hot Topics appeared in malls. It very much felt like our culture got co-opted. It sounds fucking stupid, but that's what it felt like at the time.

Believe it or not, there was a day when 100 people tops would show up to see Fugazi.

AngelOfRetributionCover1024.JPG

img0.jpg

Metallica was unbelievably popular concurrent with Nirvana's popularity. I love both bands and I really loved how experimental grunge and alt rock seemed to be at the time. I only really grew to appreciate it after the fact though. People give Metallica so much shit for Load and Reload but if those records came out from any other band people would have been claiming those records as alt rock genius.

soakrates

-jinx- said:
and the metal scene had spawned death metal and grindcore and all kinds of variants which were just unlistenable shit.
Interestingly enough, death metal (at least the melodic "Gothenburg" variety) is largely responsible for this small metal resurgence that's been going on in the US as of late. Lamb of God, Shadows Fall, Atreyu (ugh) et al take a lot cues from the styles of bands such as In Flames and At the Gates.

What really bothers me about this though is that it seems labels are rushing to sign boring-as-hell "metalcore" groups who play some basic melodic death riff for about four measures, then pause for some stupid breakdown.

3) For what it's worth, I have a really offensive theory on metal music and its popularity which I won't share here. Suffice it to say that I've moved on, and aside from an occasional bit of nostalgia, I'm quite happy never listening to that stuff again.
As a longtime metal fan, I'd be interested to hear it if you'd indulge my curiosity.

doncale

Banned
i like metal, i hate most grunge. i hated the whole nirvana grunge thing. i loved 80s metal.

i hope it comes back strong.

nitewulf

soakrates said:
What really bothers me about this though is that it seems labels are rushing to sign boring-as-hell "metalcore" groups who play some basic melodic death riff for about four measures, then pause for some stupid breakdown.
i HATE that. it's as if american metal has to be angry in order to validate itself. and i complete agree with your earlier posts as to why power metal wont be popular here. american teens are too much into the angsty stuff.
i love the melodious power metal bands though, just love that stuff. though the lyrics are usually insipid and cliche ridden. i'd much rather these euro-metal bands sang about modern society and relevant problems, could be an interesting take.

The real metal as we know it today, just isn't going to come back in any capacity. It's a Euro-centric thing. Power Metal has too much fantasy, and is too fast for the mainstream. Death/Black/Melodic Death wouldn't get played on the radio because of the vocals. Prog/Symphonic is not cohesive enough, nor has songs short enough for the average, ADD soaked mind of America's pop culture trendsters. Folk/Viking is just too foreign to most people.

I just don't think it's possible for it to make a real comeback, unless an American band copies/blends elements from the different sub-genres into something radio friendly, and hugely marketable.

Jinx, I'd love to hear your "offensive theory" on meta's popularity.

ElyrionX

-jinx- said:
3) For what it's worth, I have a really offensive theory on metal music and its popularity which I won't share here. Suffice it to say that I've moved on, and aside from an occasional bit of nostalgia, I'm quite happy never listening to that stuff again.

C'mon, share it with us already........

Dilbert

Well, I don't MEAN for this to be offensive, but it's probably going to come out that way. My apologies in advance.

The really interesting thing about metal is how sex seems to be almost entirely missing from it. When you think about more traditional "rock" in almost any era, the lyrics and the band image have a lot to do with women and getting laid. (I mean, compare and contrast Winger to, say, Megadeth's Rust In Peace. They both came out in 1990, but...whoa.) Metal, on the other hand, explored a wider variety of topics -- darker, more aggressive, occasionally with violent imagery, and occasionally quite literary -- but seemed to avoid the "ooh baby baby" one entirely.

When you went to metal shows, the demographic was very different as well. The ratio was HEAVILY skewed towards men, and the women who went were definitely a different type -- either just as hardcore as the guys (studded bracelets, black T-shirts), or dressed like a hooker. Instead of dancing, you had the whole "moshing" phenomenon. Finally, the harder the music, the younger the demographic would run. You'd get some older people at shows for Metallica and Iron Maiden since they'd been fans forever, but the really hard shit (Slayer, anyone?) looked like a teenage/early-20s boys convention.

Anyway, it probably goes without saying that young guys are full of sexual energy, ready to explode in every which way possible, looking for their own image/style, and trying to figure out what it means to be a "man." For whatever reason, some of them seem to subvert that energy/aggression into a completely asexual outlet in metal and the associated scene.

I'm not saying that the ONLY reason someone would get into (or stay into) metal is because they don't know what to do with their junk. However, I do think there is something interesting going on.

Anyway, I'm ready for the flames...just food for thought, though.

I also think that one of the contributors to the demise of heavy metal’s popularity in America is the later incarnation of rap music, which was laced with a lot more rebellious and criminal-minded content than its early, more subdued, manifestation. One of the more enticing elements of heavy metal among mainstream audiences and younger listeners was the anti-conformity message prevalent in most of the songs, and that attraction was usurped by urban lullabies.

soakrates

jinx:
I actually don't find that offensive at all, really. Even the most ardent metal fan would be hard-pressed to argue that metal isn't used as an outlet for personal frustrations, be they sexual or otherwise. I wouldn't say it's the main reason people get into metal though. The music by nature is aggressive and energetic, and thus taps into impulses one wouldn't get listening to something else.

Also, metal fans grow up just like everyone else. One of the oldest bands from around here (SF Bay Area) has been playing for 17 years, since the heyday of the Bay Area thrash movement. Most of its members are either married, with children or both. I'm willing to bet the same is true for a lot of people raging in the pit these days.

Anyway, not trying to be argumentative or hostile. I think I got to the gist of what you're saying, though.

Gorey

Jinx:
I can't say anything about metal- wasn't my scene- but as a late 80's straight edge hardcore kid, I can say without any doubt that all of that energy you describe was being funneled into angsty fury and dancing in the pit. That was sorta the point. At the time I would've told you to go fuck yourself and them some; now that I'm older and (hopefully) not as self-righteously foolish I can see your point.

It's interesting to me how people cope with growing up. I'd still call myself a hardcore fan, but I sure don't get as riled up as I did at 18.

ElyrionX

-jinx- said:
Well, I don't MEAN for this to be offensive, but it's probably going to come out that way. My apologies in advance.

The really interesting thing about metal is how sex seems to be almost entirely missing from it. When you think about more traditional "rock" in almost any era, the lyrics and the band image have a lot to do with women and getting laid. (I mean, compare and contrast Winger to, say, Megadeth's Rust In Peace. They both came out in 1990, but...whoa.) Metal, on the other hand, explored a wider variety of topics -- darker, more aggressive, occasionally with violent imagery, and occasionally quite literary -- but seemed to avoid the "ooh baby baby" one entirely.

When you went to metal shows, the demographic was very different as well. The ratio was HEAVILY skewed towards men, and the women who went were definitely a different type -- either just as hardcore as the guys (studded bracelets, black T-shirts), or dressed like a hooker. Instead of dancing, you had the whole "moshing" phenomenon. Finally, the harder the music, the younger the demographic would run. You'd get some older people at shows for Metallica and Iron Maiden since they'd been fans forever, but the really hard shit (Slayer, anyone?) looked like a teenage/early-20s boys convention.

Anyway, it probably goes without saying that young guys are full of sexual energy, ready to explode in every which way possible, looking for their own image/style, and trying to figure out what it means to be a "man." For whatever reason, some of them seem to subvert that energy/aggression into a completely asexual outlet in metal and the associated scene.

I'm not saying that the ONLY reason someone would get into (or stay into) metal is because they don't know what to do with their junk. However, I do think there is something interesting going on.

Anyway, I'm ready for the flames...just food for thought, though.

Interesting point. I don't quite agree though. And I don't think it's offensive at all.

The main reason why I listen to metal is because the MUSIC is so damn good. You really have to agree that a large portion of the world's most talented musicians are in the metal scene. It's probably the only genre where a guitarist can REALLY show his worth and be appreciated for it at the same time.

Is the point you're making applicable to the entire genre of metal or only the harder and darker stuff? My main interest in the metal genre lies in the progressive and power sub-genres where the music is not as heavy and where the music tends to be a lot more technical.

I'm 21, BTW.

I don't know that it ever really went away... Good metal has rarely ever been at the top of any sorts of charts, other than those ridiculous metal magazines. There was certainly an influx of poorer groups that seemed to have no interest in anything other then sounding crunchy and being mad, but it's not all there is. Music is almost always better beneath the surface.

With bands like Mastodon and Anathema, I've been quite happy the last several or so years. Neither of them can be described simply as "angry" in my opinion and are quite different in many ways.

I don't really listen to a lot of metal, but it's stupid to damn an entire genre that quickly without any decent information. Hopefully if Kurt Cobain is resurrected to kill off this stuff, someone else will come and kill off grunge again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom