• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Metroid Prime:Echoes suffering from not enough hype?

Li Mu Bai

Banned
As my main concern is that hype alone generally sells games, whether they are worthy of it or not. Enter the Matrix, Driver, RE:Online, are a few that come to mind. Echoes' visuals are definitely an enhancement from what MP offered. (this is very apparent during the in-engine cutscenes, especially in both Samus & her ship's model) Even in gameplay sequences. Larger & even more poly-intensive detailed environments, new visors, (I find the Echoes visor to be quite innovative) suit upgrades, new weapons upgrades, (seeker missles) suit abilities, (screw attack) triple-jump, etc. Retro looks to be outdoing what they initially accomplished with Metroid Prime. Which was one of the most comprehensively polished gaming experiences I've yet had on any system. (music, atomsphere, & all) Even faster loading times now? (due to switching to a portal based, or PVS system)

Especially after the GI article. More organic animated environments, enhanced enemy AI, artistically creative enemies & allies, (I love the design of the Galactic Federation Troops & Space Pirate Commandos as well as their new abilities) an advanced particle system, (even better looking than Prime's) more primary specialized beams, (5-6 now, as the Dark Beam's attributes when charged are simply awesome.) What looks to be a far more interesting crafted story-line replete with a Dark Samus sub-plot, (told through many more cut-scenes as well as scanning) the way the spiderball is being implemented over more varied non-track surfaces, controlling the trajectory of the screw attack, & other aspects we still know nothing about. Better yet, Retro has even more time to polish the game this time around. (!) I played the multi at E3, initially I thought it was simply an afterthought thrown in for the fans, I found out that I was wrong. Fun & addictive it was, nor was it as easy as you might believe with the lock-on capability. (jumping, morphball, & I'm sure swinging saw to that) Also the very real possibility of implementing a secondary dual-analog control scheme, as well as possible widescreen support, all at 60fps? I consider it a definite AAA must buy.

Although there are lots of high profile games being released this holiday season such as RE4, Halo 2, MGS3, GT4, etc. (GTA:SA is being released in Oct. correct?) I believe this title is somewhat slipping under the radar in terms of hype. Retro as a developer isn't truly getting the respect they deserve IMO, as they are an "elite" developer on par with KCEJ-W, Bungie, Naughty Dog, Square-Enix, EAD, Polyphony, etc. I believe if Retro includes the dual-analog control that it will convert many of the people who disliked the 1st. (Although I felt lock-on was almost a necessity in some areas of MP, & don't see how dual analog would have worked) Your thoughts GAFers?

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
It's only June, yknow.

Actually I do predict that either Halo 2 or MP2, or both, will perform under expectations. Not that I have any reasons.

Alcibiades

yup, hopefully the $20 price point for MP 1 encourages better distribution of the title so it's widely available and maybe people would pick it up at that price...

also, it's facing the biggest franchises on PS2 and the biggest one on XBox...

The big problem is that MP1 wasn't exactly the run away success that Nintendo planned it to be (SC1 ended up being the big "new" success story of that holiday season). So throw in the fact that this holiday season is just completely packed with some of the biggest sequels this generation and you're going to have alot of games struggling to sell/get attention. Just look at the hype for VJ2 in comparison to the original. It's basically not even there. It's just a really bad year to release games that aren't of the top tier of popularity.

AniHawk

I think Retro would be smart to include the option of dual analog controls. Didn't particularly enjoy them with Timesplitters 2 & 3 with the GC controller, but at least if the option is there, more people might be interested as you said.

I'm a lot more hyped for this game than I was for MP (I was hyped for MP, but that was after its reviews), and I didn't enjoy MP. I don't know what it is, but it just seems like Retro's putting in a lot more into this game to improve it over the last one. And the multiplayer kicks ass.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
The big problem is that MP1 wasn't exactly the run away success that Nintendo planned it to be (SC1 ended up being the big "new" success story of that holiday season). So throw in the fact that this holiday season is just completely packed with some of the biggest sequels this generation and you're going to have alot of games struggling to sell/get attention. Just look at the hype for VJ2 in comparison to the original. It's basically not even there. It's just a really bad year to release games that aren't of the top tier of popularity.

Yes, but besides this & RE4, Nintendo has no "holiday blockbusters" for its fans. PM2 & Pikmin 2 are releasing much earlier. There's also Starfox 2 & BK, & Geist was thankfully pushed back into '05. SSX between the months of Nov. & Dec. MP moved 833k with a significantly smaller userbase, but also had loads of hype backing it. Hopefully the hype train picks up steam for the sequel. VJ2 imo, will still perform better sales-wise upon the Cube. Because the PS2ers basically, are saturated with quality software choices.

Li Mu Bai said:
Yes, but besides this & RE4, Nintendo has no "holiday blockbusters" for its fans. PM2 & Pikmin 2 are releasing much earlier. There's also Starfox 2 & BK, & Geist was thankfully pushed back into '05. .

EB has Paper Mario 2 listed as a October 11th release and I think that'll be Nintendo's biggest hitter this year, especially if it's up to the quality of the previous Mario RPG's. Competing against a new Mario is always a hard thing to do. Throw in the fact that Nintendo's going to be marketing RE4 along with Capcom, which is going to give it more of a marketing boost than MP2, and PM2 will surely get a bigger boost than MP2. I just see MP2 being one of those great gmaes that gets stuck behind all the other big releases. I don't think the series has enough popularity to boost it above all the games that'll going to come out late this year.

Docpan

Looks like more of the same to me.

I liked the first one but they aren't really adding enough new things to catch my interest again. Oh well.

etiolate

Banned
Yeah, it doesn't have as much hype as the others. It just doesn't have handguns and cars. It's too much of a videogame for it to get as much attention as the others.

Kon Tiki

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
will it still have the same lack of a real control scheme?

Docpan said:

I liked the first one but they aren't really adding enough new things to catch my interest again. Oh well.

See what lack of hype does? :(

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Docpan said:

You obviously never read the GI article. They have gone far & beyond what MP was IMO.

Docpan

Nope, I didn't. Could be wrong, too.

But from what I've seen in gameplay videos and pictures, it looks like Metroid Prime 1 with some adjustments here and new weapons there.

I'd rather play something more fresh this fall.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
will it still have the same lack of a real control scheme?

Dual-analog will most likely be a secondary control option. If that's the only scheme you consider "real."

Sagitario

Li Mu Bai said:
Echoes' visuals are definitely an enhancement from what MP offered. (this is very apparent during the in-engine cutscenes, especially in both Samus & her ship's model) Even in gameplay sequences. Larger & even more poly-intensive detailed environments, new visors, (I find the Echoes visor to be quite innovative) suit upgrades, new weapons upgrades, (seeker missles) suit abilities, (screw attack) triple-jump, etc. Retro looks to be outdoing what they initially accomplished with Metroid Prime. Which was one of the most comprehensively polished gaming experiences I've yet had on any system. (music, atomsphere, & all) Even faster loading times now? (due to switching to a portal based, or PVS system)

Especially after the GI article. More organic animated environments, enhanced enemy AI, artistically creative enemies & allies, (I love the design of the Galactic Federation Troops & Space Pirate Commandos as well as their new abilities) an advanced particle system, (even better looking than Prime's) more primary specialized beams, (5-6 now, as the Dark Beam's attributes when charged are simply awesome.) What looks to be a far more interesting crafted story-line replete with a Dark Samus sub-plot, (told through many more cut-scenes as well as scanning) the way the spiderball is being implemented over more varied non-track surfaces, controlling the trajectory of the screw attack, & other aspects we still know nothing about. Better yet, Retro has even more time to polish the game this time around. (!) I played the multi at E3, initially I thought it was simply an afterthought thrown in for the fans, I found out that I was wrong. Fun & addictive it was, nor was it as easy as you might believe with the lock-on capability. (jumping, morphball, & I'm sure swinging saw to that) Also the very real possibility of implementing a secondary dual-analog control scheme, as well as possible widescreen support, all at 60fps? I consider it a definite AAA must buy.

I was hyped (MP is my most wanted game right now)... and after reading this post of yours I'm even more hyped :D .

Docpan

Snake Eater. It's going to be a hell of an experience. I hope.

Halo 2, obviously. The amount of time gone into this looks like it's really paid off. I was sold on the e3 2003 trailer, but the 2004 demonstration further proved that this is the real deal. Dual weilding, XBOX LIVE, new weapons, enemies, the list goes on. Don't even try to argue that MP2 will offer more new things than Halo 2.

That's about it.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Well of course Halo 2 has more 'new things', seeing as Halo 1 was so bare. Halo 2 should catch up to the rest of the FPS genre tho. :)

You have not even read about MP2, nor do I get the impression that you want to know more about it. There are quite a few new things in MP2. :)

Docpan

etiolate said:
By fresh, most would assume you meant new games and not other sequels.

That is what I meant, but he asked about fresh sequels so I answered.

I'm not sure if Fable will be pushed back to this fall, but if it is, that's what I'm looking forward to most.

i'm looking forward to MP: echoes, but tell me this: am i going to be raped of all the weapons and visors i already have at the beginning of the game like i always do in metroid games? i hate that shit dude. now that i think of it i never did beat metroid prime 1 on GC, but i got very close to the end. too much back tracking for me to finish, but now that it is pretty cheap i might pick it up again to finish it. is the ending worth it?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
honestly, is anyone excited about the prospect of exploring parallel light and dark worlds? they could hardly have found a more worn-out cliché if they tried.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
EB has Paper Mario 2 listed as a October 11th release and I think that'll be Nintendo's biggest hitter this year, especially if it's up to the quality of the previous Mario RPG's. Competing against a new Mario is always a hard thing to do. Throw in the fact that Nintendo's going to be marketing RE4 along with Capcom, which is going to give it more of a marketing boost than MP2, and PM2 will surely get a bigger boost than MP2. I just see MP2 being one of those great gmaes that gets stuck behind all the other big releases. I don't think the series has enough popularity to boost it above all the games that'll going to come out late this year.

Well, the marketing coverage is debateable SSX, especially if Nintendo goes the "movie preview" route & Reggie succeeds in putting together a good commercial. I agree that competing against a new Mario title is difficult, but the look unfortunately will still turn late adopters off IMO. (many of those who bought the GC as a secondary or third system last season due to the price drop) Although judging by the sales of what many would call a subpar MK:DD, I could be way off base here. Also RE4 will be integral in pushing new Cubes to the broader demographic, so Nintendo's decision to help market it was a wise one.

Kon Tiki

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
The actual gameplay is quite a bit different from the previous ones...And afterall isn't that what makes a sequel "fresh"?

Was a joke. My MGS3 media blackout is preventing a better troll. :(

Li Mu Bai said:
Well, the marketing coverage is debateable SSX, especially if Nintendo goes the "movie preview" route & Reggie succeeds in putting together a good commercial. I agree that competing against a new Mario title is difficult, but the look unfortunately will still turn late adopters off IMO. (many of those who bought the GC as a secondary or third system last season due to the price drop) Although judging by the sales of what many would call a subpar MK:DD, I could be way off base here. Also RE4 will be integral in pushing new Cubes to the broader demographic, so Nintendo's decision to help market it was a wise one.

I'm not saying it's not a good decision to put support behind RE4, just that it potentially could have an affect on their own software. It really all depends on just how dedicated MP's 1million+ fanbase is, or if alot of the fanbase bought it based on the hype. If that's an installed dedicated fanbase then they don't really have to worry about it not getting as much marketing, if it's not then the lack of marketing could end up hurting them. But more marketing for RE4 means they could bring in a new set of gamers that otherwise wouldn't be interested in the GC, and I don't really see MP2 doing that unless it's multiplayer is really good.

Bat

SolidSnakex said:
I'm not saying it's not a good decision to put support behind RE4, just that it potentially could have an affect on their own software. It really all depends on just how dedicated MP's 1million+ fanbase is, or if alot of the fanbase bought it based on the hype. If that's an installed dedicated fanbase then they don't really have to worry about it not getting as much marketing, if it's not then the lack of marketing could end up hurting them. But more marketing for RE4 means they could bring in a new set of gamers that otherwise wouldn't be interested in the GC, and I don't really see MP2 doing that unless it's multiplayer is really good.

Good point. I think Nintendo is banking on most who bought MP to buy MP2 anyways, because of how well recieved the original was. If the multiplayer is good those 1 million initial purchasers could 'sell' the game to others, anyways (as is always true about multiplayer games).

pilonv1

Society said:
Maybe you did not read my posts at the old gaf. I am pretty consistant.

It's more this thread (and a number of others) than your post specifically. Worrying about hype for a game six months away? Who cares, buy a PS2 and play some games.

Self depreciating humour is sadly a lost art here, nice to see not every one is so serious about their "reputations".

AniHawk

As far as advertising for this year, Nintendo needs to have a huge freakin' ad campaign.

1. Commercial featuring mini clips of all their games.
2. Commercial featuring Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and RE 4 at the same time
3. Commercial featuring Star Fox, Paper Mario 2, Viewtiful Joe 2, and Baten Kaitos at the same time.
4. Commercial hyping the hell out of MP2:E
5. Commercial featuring Paper Mario 2 on its own
6. Commercial featuring SF on its own.
7. Commercial with the GC @ $99 plus game (like last year, but not Zelda Collector's Edition, something else).
8. Some Freeboy commercials with holiday themes
9. Commercial with the DS @ $149.99 and MAKE IT LOOK COOL.
10-??. Commercials for DS games

Namco and Capcom can take care of VF2 and BK.

They have a ton of games to sell, and they really need to go on a full-out marketing blitz for the holiday season so none of them get left behind when GT4, GTASA, MGS3, and Halo 2 are released. Not to mention they need to take care of the DS, to make sure it becomes a success, and to mention that the GBA is still going on. Nintendo has a huge load on their hands. They're one company who would be smart to delay some titles into next year.

Docpan said:
I'd rather play something more fresh this fall.

As far as sequels go it's about as fresh as they come. What did you have in mind? Cause that throws Halo 2, Jak 3, GTA: SA, GT4, Paper Mario 2, and many others out the window.

SantaC

drohne said:
honestly, is anyone excited about the prospect of exploring parallel light and dark worlds? they could hardly have found a more worn-out cliché if they tried.

How worn out? Zelda lttp is the only other game I could think of with light and dark worlds :D

SantaC

AniHawk said:
Four Swords Adventures
Chrono Cross (kinda)
Ocarina of Time (kinda)

Ok, doesn't sound too worn out for me. Zelda 4 swords is built on the lttp concept anyway :p

SolidSnakex said:
The big problem is that MP1 wasn't exactly the run away success that Nintendo planned it to be (

yes/no... the metroid name just wasn't that big with the mainstream market and they ruined it by having them fatsuit ads. It really should have been done a lot sexier than it was. That said, efralope is correct about the $20 fanbase increase (fingers crossed that is), increased in cube userbase because of the cheaper price point..etc. A lot of factors will come into play.

Me, I don't care about the sales for this title too much as long as it turns out as good, if not better than Prime 1

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't really think the whole "dark/light" idea is really worn out. Sure, it has popped up in several recent games...but it isn't THAT common and the execution in MP2 looks rather different. Regardless of how you feel about that issue, Retro should not fail to release something truly fantastic. Even when sporting tired concepts (which this really is not) a truly high quality game can still be very memorable.

Having just replaying a lot of Prime again, I really can not wait to get my hands on MP2. The exploration in Prime was quite good, so the larger more complex environments are rather appealing to me.

AssMan

Banned
Actually I do predict that either Halo 2 or MP2, or both, will perform under expectations. Not that I have any reasons.

And did you know that Halo 2 is the #1 preordered game this year?

If one thing is certain, the quality of stupidity certainly has risen with NeoGA.

IAWTP. Fanboys tend to bash on games saying that it's basically the same game. Well cowboy, welcome to about 80% of the other sequels out on the market.

Top Bottom