• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is my taste in music slipping? I like Imagine Dragons

Do you like Imagine Dragons?

• Yes

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • No

Votes: 33 58.9%

• Total voters

bitbydeath

I heard Slipnot say this has taken the throne of worst artist away from Nickleback.

NICKLEBACK!

I like Imagine Dragons new stuff and old stuff.

I think Demons is a classic.

And there new stuff such as Love is good too.

The poll is anonymous so nobody will know if you voted yes.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Not big on them, but I'd say they're a lot better than Nickelback. Now The Chainsmokers, that's the new Nickelback. At least the Nickelback of EDM.
If it makes you feel better, I like quite a bit of Maroon 5's music.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
I'd be lying if I said I didn't like their catchy stuff from a few years ago. Haven't heard anything recently though (the last three/four years).

Pejo

What was your taste before Imagine Dragons? I'm not sure yet if it's getting better or worse.

MastAndo

I'm finding this unlistenable. Sorry, bud.

Also, I think the "Nickelback is the worst band ever" thing is more of a meme than reality. I'm not really a fan, but they're not really THAT bad.

dorkimoe

My taste has stayed about the same as I got older, but they re ok just over played

Last edited:

Dark Star

i don't listen to any music that gets constantly played on the radio. sure, they have a few catchy tunes with good hooks, but their actual discography of music as a whole is seriously mediocre.

so, no, i don't listen to Imagine Dragons, and i don't like their style of overproduced, "loudness war" enabled music that lacks dynamics and real structure. It's catered to a mainstream/festival audience, and so is every other big edm/pop act. Hardly anything novel or interesting to digest when listening to top 40 music.

i'd rather listen to some underground soundcloud tunes produced by a 16 year old kid in his/her bedroom than ANYTHING coming out of the commercial industry these days. I follow mainstream music more than most people, so i know/listen to everything out of curiosity - but hardly any of it lands on my spotify playlists or gets downloaded into my itunes library. It all sounds the same or it's just not up to par. simple as that.

Last edited:

Dark Star

As long as you don't like Slipknot. Lol

Slipknot is still one of the better bands to come out of the late 90's/early 2000's experimental nu-metal/heavy metal scene. Their sound is still very unique and hardly any other band sounds like them. They had a somewhat cult following and that's a rare thing. Despite reaching mainstream popularity, IOWA and their debut self titled album still get regular rotation in my listening time. How many other metal/rock bands are at that level of uniqueness AND popularity? Korn? Deftones? Sevendust? Tool? not many tbh. You have to dig deep, underground, small-label to find good bands these days, but it's safe to say that Slipknot is still a great band that is still putting out better music than other mainstream acts.

Last edited:

Domisto

I hope you picked two of the worst tracks. Oh god Demons is awful.

We all like something that's crap. Just own it.

120v

i thought they had potential when they burst onto the scene. but years later, nah pretty much run of the mill Top 40 fare for Mazda commercials or whatever. which isn't a terrible thing but personally they don't do anything for me

They're okay, but there's a lot better music in the genre of modern pop alternative. I'd suggest some Passion Pit.

Also Metric, Foster the People, The Naked and Famous, fun, etc.

Last edited:
After watching the HBO doc about Imagine Dragons singer trying to apologize for his religion’s stance on homosexuality, I can’t take their music seriously. It all seems so try hard.

Last edited:
You need to understand something about Nickelback:

Around 2001, Chad Kroeger started "studying every piece, everything sonically, everything lyrically, everything musically, chord structure. I would dissect every single song that I would hear on the radio or every song that had ever done well on a chart and I would say, 'Why did this do well?'" Kroeger said that Nickelback's single "How You Remind Me" sold so well because it was about romantic relationships, a universal subject, and contained memorable hooks.

Imagine Dragons is exactly like Nickelback. Both bands are catchy, 100% derivative music with factory-produced hooks and chord progressions. You will not hear a single phrase, a single lick, a single punch of the percussion that hasn't been pulled from somewhere else. It is the natural progression of pop music, music that is so reliably catchy because it is factory-produced by marketing geniuses.

neobiz

I'm old as fuck according to recent gaf stuff. Having been through the 70's 80's 90's 2k's and still going in these times I view Imagine Dragons as as all those that came before them. A popular sound of the time

Is my taste in Cuisine slipping? Last week I tried Chicken tikka masala and it was so tasty. Should I be ashamed of my liking for Punjabi dishes? I live in Sydney, I'm supposed to like Fish and Chips and Beef Pies.

The concept of taste in music defining anything is ridiculous. You are free to arbitrarily like what arbitrary things you like. Let others do the same. Peace bro.

I unironically like this rendition of this song.

You gonna do something about it bro. Mhm? Come at me bro.
v2dIWLd.gif

Last edited:

pr0cs

Saw them live last year, at least they know how to play musical instruments.

Don't be a hipster, just cos it's popular doesn't mean it's without talent

Doom85

I mean, I try not to care what other people say I "should" like or dislike because **** elitists but I will say music elitists are likely the worst when it comes to any medium of entertainment. It seems like admitting to liking even one song by certain bands is akin to admitting to committing child abuse based on the way they judge you. Really hate their attitudes.

Like, virtually all of country music is definitely not for me, but if a particular country song makes at least one person happy, then that's great. Why should I get mad about it, I'm not listening to it so whatever, you know?

So, you keep doing you, OP.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I don't like em personally but to each his own

Music snobbery is the lowest form of criticism IMO. Would rather hang with someone who genuinely likes Imagine Dragons than someone who thinks not liking them makes them a better person.

I bought their latest album as well. They're not too special but not bad either, decent music for tedious activity.

Whereas Slipknots newest stuff sucks.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
what do you listen to
Are you offended? This soft rock bullshit is the worst garbage out right now. I'd rather listen to ariana grande, taylor swift, drake, bro country, literally anything else than this low energy "rock" bullshit made for car commercials and middle aged white guys who think iron maiden and ac/dc are too heavy to listen to.

ph33rknot

Banned
Are you offended? This soft rock bullshit is the worst garbage out right now. I'd rather listen to ariana grande, taylor swift, drake, bro country, literally anything else than this low energy "rock" bullshit made for car commercials and middle aged white guys who think iron maiden and ac/dc are too heavy to listen to.
not offended don't give a fuck really but you have a 69 avi

Last edited:
Top Bottom