• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is my taste in music slipping? I like Imagine Dragons

Do you like Imagine Dragons?

• Yes

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • No

Votes: 33 58.9%

• Total voters

Codes 208

I don’t listen to them consistently but I do like thunder, believer and warrior.
They’re pretty tame, I wouldn’t consider those to be heavy IMO.

Disturbed on the other hand.
Funny enough I’m not big into heavy metal but I love their covers of sound of silence and land of confusion.

Hudo

Till I was 22, I firmly believed in "musical segregation", i.e. not listening to any genre of music that isn't related to the genre I am into (which was and still is black and prog metal). However, I have since abolished this foolishness (a girl triggered this change, obviously...) And I now firmly believe that it is quite eye-opening and exciting to "listen outside the box". You'd be surprised. So, no, I wouldn't say that your taste is slipping. I would say that your taste might be breaking out of its confinements. I'd never believed to find a rap/hip-hop group that I'd be into. And then I discovered Eric B. and Rakim. Also, even though I am a metal dude, one of my favourite bands is Ghost. And they are more of a rock band (one of the bigger ironies is that many metal dudes don't like rock all that much). Also, quite a lot of classical composers are just brilliant. Alexander Borodin, Gabriel Fauré, Erik Satie, Gustav Holst, ...
Even artists like Depeche Mode or Simian Mobile Disco are cool.

Last edited:

Dark Star

if you're looking for a GOOD 2018/2019 modern rock band that blows Imagine Dragons out of the water ... look no further. Holding Absence is one of those hidden gem bands i discovered a few months ago ... and they don't have a single bad song. Really great singing, lyrics, drumming, guitar playing, structure, etc. The production is seriously on point. as well as it being fairly catchy. Genre wise, somewhere between post-hardcore and alternative rock with some shoegaze elements.

Last edited:
I love their covers of sound of silence and land of confusion.

Land of Confusion is a cover? I love that Disturbed song!

I must agree with the other posters here are about musical snobbery and segregation. Open your mind and see where music takes you. It is a learning and discovery process. I'm always behind the trends by about 10 years. When "Deftones" got big in the 90s my friends and I ignorantly mocked them. We also mocked bands with long names like "And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead". My dad would mock the artists that my music teacher recommended, like "Miles Davis" and "Herbie Hancock". When I got into bands like "My Bloody Valentine" it still wasn't cool enough for the really cool kids.

Just be yourself OP and like what you like.

It went like this for me...
Classic rock
Metal
Jazz
Folk
Gaming Soundtracks
Synthwave

Last edited:

Savage! But it misses those juicy "grunts" by Draiman. I always wondered why that song sounded different to the other songs on the album, lol.

They did a solid job at covering the song anyway, it fits right in with their message in their lyrics.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
Corey Taylor has a beef with Chad Kroeger and Stone Sour is as soft and commercial as Nickelback.

Also, Nickelback has a lot of good songs and hidden gems. I've been a metalhead since the late 80's and songs like Feed the Machine are great metal songs.

Imagine Dragons is not even rock. But 21 Pilots is way worse. This shit is like rock for SJW. Corporate crafted b.s. Even Jason Derulo is better than this shit.

At least Nickelback has audible guitars. Also, Chad Kroeger will guest on the new Devil Townsend album. Pretty metal to me.

Top Bottom