• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Nintendo keeping the Hardware less powerful to make cheaper games?

vanillaFace

Neo Member
N64 had cutting edge tech and graphics. SNES had cutting edge tech and graphics. Nintendo used to be about graphics and power. I remember first seeing the generational leap from NES to Super Mario World or Super Contra or Contra III or Super Mario 64. It was bananas. I don't get why people have the impression that Nintendo wasn't a graphics company.

cireza

you can't tell me Smash or Xenoblade 3 are unplayable on Switch
I can tell whatever I want actually, because it is only my opinion in the end. This is a forum, not some kind of encyclopedia holding only absolute truths. Smash Bros I believe is 60fps and pretty clean though. I haven't play Xeno 3, but 2 was one of the worst experience I had at the beginning of the Switch life. Xeno X looked incredible compared to it. And yes, you can tell me that Xeno 2 has collision detection or whatever, but it lead to a worse presentation overall.

Last edited:
they cheaped out on the maxwell chip even in 2017.
The Pascal chip wouldve been nearly twice as powerfull and way more power efficient.

The Chip architecture is pretty much the same as the Maxwell 750ti. I just checked. February 2014.

You can like what nintendo did with the system and playing around limitations with artstyle etc but when it comes to hardware, they got slamdunked by Nvidia. Locking them into the shitty old architecture because they had plenty of it left. Probably gave them a good price for the first ones or something. But if you sell over 100million devices. The 100k chips Nvidia had left over dont mean much. Especially handheld mode wouldve been MUCH more powerfull with the WAY more power efficient Pascal chip.
Just like Sony and MS did with PS4 and XB1 in 2013

As the GTX 680 from March 2012 was far more powerful than both consoles in paper

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
I think at the end of the day it doesn't matter. While this thread would have served well for the wii and wiiu. The next switch if its ps4 level or even stronger that would be a perfect fit for nintendo, and we are at diminishing returns imo.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
My argument is about games looking better than others while retaining 1080p@60fps. It doesn't require games being remasters, even if it is often the case with these indeed.
And i told you why some look better as a remaster and some i disagree that they do.
Again if people are happy, then great. I personally don't care about sales, and I am simply sharing my point of view here, not enforcing anything.
Well you seem pretty adamant on calling things to the extremties to call that an opinion.
There are some that are fine, but they will either be a bit low-res or not 60fps. Outputting at least 1080p@60fps certainly doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
Maybe we should wait for Nintendo's next move.
I think at the end of the day it doesn't matter.
This is literally the only actual answer but since its far more interesting to make copies of this thread and other threads that pertain to have a stake or to discuss any war-like efforts in the console space, we gotta keep on truckin' on right.

zeldaring

Banned
And i told you why some look better as a remaster and some i disagree that they do.

Well you seem pretty adamant on calling things to the extremties to call that an opinion.

Maybe we should wait for Nintendo's next move.

This is literally the only actual answer but since its far more interesting to make copies of this thread and other threads that pertain to have a stake or to discuss any war-like efforts in the console space, we gotta keep on truckin' on right.
Look at RDR2 on ps4 it still has the most impressive looking gaming world imo and looks amazing. If Nintendo rumored specs are true then this thread is really pointless, cause with those specs and nintendo art style which is less demanding then realism ,nothing will be holding Nintendo's games back.

You might need to tell R* that because I don't think they've seen that memo either. Their spend outpaces just about everyone else combined save for maybe StarCitizen - and that battle is still undecided.
Is that why GTA San Andreas become the most popular game in 2000s decade?

Why you think R* refuse to move on from their technically 2013 game which runs on PS3 and Xbox 360?

….Kinda? They make cheaper hardware so they can make money on hardware vs selling it at a loss. The side effect of that is game development for them is cheaper because the platforms are less advanced.

I don’t view that as a negative.

Astral Dog

That was indeed the case during the SD era with the Wii and DS,now?it doesn't matter if the new Switch was just an Xbox ONE it would still require much higher development costs.

Switch and Wii U weren't exactly cheap or simple either when you move to "HD" games they will be costly and time consuming no matter what

Were Nintendo excels i believe is their focus on engaging gameplay and aesthetics over realism and making the world feel alive or some overbudgeted garbage to mask a merely mediocre game

Top Bottom