• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is obsession with social media making game developers decline mentally?

So I've noticed this becoming more and more common over the last several years, but what prompted this thread was this recent bizarre post the below author deleted, and tried to brush)laugh) off poorly today,
Fr18pdYaMAAhlBI

(tweet made below they deleted it)

I feel like maybe some game developers would be better off, well, off of social media. They make themselves look bad, they made the studio or people they work with look bad, and it's clear they are too engrossed in it and it's causing a clear mental decline.

There are just some people that can't handle something so simple as social media or online interaction facing criticism. Half of these people would have barely, if at all, been online two decades ago or earlier and they can't handle this softer internet in 2023. Even a little bit of common sense or 4 second research could have prevented this tragedy from happening.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I like Jaffe.

But seeing him live on his show has made me question things around game developers.

He was doing great and then he went full orange-flavoured biscuit-cake and lost me. I did his "call in show" via Discrd and he just seemed to going in circles in his reasoning. Seemed to be thinking about things and not just parroting the usual points you hear but then would be stuck on one of those points and unable to move past it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but my understanding is that the industry has become super-woke to the extent that most people involved who aren't onboard with "the message" are keeping their heads down and mouths shut so as to keep their jobs.

Basically its like Hollywood, but worse as most people involved don't have the power to stand up against it even if they disagree. Add on top of that the extreme polarization of the enthusiast press and the Youtube side, and basically I see videogames inevitably turning into the wokist alamo.

By which I mean it will be the last bastion they hold-out even *IF* progressive thought starts to fall out of favour elsewhere in the media. They've been clinging onto "Gamergate" for years at this point, so they chance of them going quietly into the good night seems implausible to me. They will fight tooth-and-nail to hold onto their power in gaming.

CGNoire

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but my understanding is that the industry has become super-woke to the extent that most people involved who aren't onboard with "the message" are keeping their heads down and mouths shut so as to keep their jobs.

Basically its like Hollywood, but worse as most people involved don't have the power to stand up against it even if they disagree. Add on top of that the extreme polarization of the enthusiast press and the Youtube side, and basically I see videogames inevitably turning into the wokist alamo.

By which I mean it will be the last bastion they hold-out even *IF* progressive thought starts to fall out of favour elsewhere in the media. They've been clinging onto "Gamergate" for years at this point, so they chance of them going quietly into the good night seems implausible to me. They will fight tooth-and-nail to hold onto their power in gaming.
God I Hope your Wrong.

Fbh

Only those with:
-Blue, purple, (fake) red, etc hair
-Pronouns and/or flags on thier bio
-A diet consisting of no less than 20% fair trade soy lattes.

I doubt people like our lord and saviour Hidetaka Miyazaki spend their time on Twitter drama

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Gaming industry as a whole have lots of weird employees. And it sure seems they like having loud political Twitter accounts too.

That's media industry people for ya. Always trying to get noticed for their 15 mins of fame.

It's like a drug. People who get into media need the limelight shone on them or else they feel miserable. They also like being combative on social media too.

Managing finance people isn't hard. Most are pretty introverted. And you almost never get people giving you attitude or lip service. It's just the kind of department where people listen (the sales department is one where there's lots of wild westers doing their own thing getting into battles with bosses). Their focus is just on doing a good job and ensuring the numbers are right. If I teleported to a gaming company or a gaming news site, I bet I'd have to switch hats and be that super chummy, pat on the back, positive reinforcement boss to the entire department.

Three

I honestly think the people who complain about throw away comments on social media are more mental than the people making those comments.

So the person doesn't like the R word and thinks the N word is racist, so what?

Honestly trying to paint people as crazy for that is like having a conversation with someone about something rudimentary and then someone going and trying to convince others they're crazy for it. That might just be narcissism at play.

radewagon

This forum is social media, and in that sense, I can see your point.
I think the main difference is that this forum has a relatively small community and no one, to the best of my knowledge, is posting simply to gain notoriety and/or followers. We aren't trying to influence the masses and we are okay with not being the protagonist. We're just here to share our ideas and experiences for the sake of sharing our ideas and experiences with members of our gaming community. No ulterior motives. No delusions of grandeur. That's why I like it here.

Mr.Phoenix

I think the main difference is that this forum has a relatively small community and no one, to the best of my knowledge, is posting simply to gain notoriety and/or followers. We aren't trying to influence the masses and we are okay with not being the protagonist. We're just here to share our ideas and experiences for the sake of sharing our ideas and experiences with members of our gaming community. No ulterior motives. No delusions of grandeur. That's why I like it here.
We have worse... we have people like the OP who just want to see the world burn.

runs away

Well, even before Twitter or Online Presences, the world was already descending into insane depression around the 2000s, and it's not like the 90s weren't exempt from building the issues either

The same person who headed development for this AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Game?

This shit is some fucking Reboot looking shit, only, Reboot came out, back in like, 2000. 1994. Lmao!

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
No, it's obsession with other's opinions... No matter if it's on social media, the press or their neighborhoods, they shouldn't be seeking people's opinion if they can't handle them, many will just shit on them no matter what, if they don't know how to manage the anxiety of being confronted, they're better off just shutting the fuck up and avoiding those specific social interactions

nikos

She definitely seems like she's what she thought "hard R" stood for.

Obsession with social media is making people dumber altogether.

Filben

I never comprehend these out of context twitter dialogues (is it even a dialogue or people just shouting into the room?).

Anyways, it's not only developers that mentally decline. It's everyone using it on heavy basis sooner or later.

k_trout

cant blame social media for the condition of peoples thought processes, people have been confused forever, only difference now is we all have a global platform to expose our craziness

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Too much time on the Internet likely leads to mental decline / mental distortion. Go outisde and smell the flowers, grow some crops, cook yourself some decent food etc etc..

Last edited:
Top Bottom