• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is R2-D2 named to sound like "Arturito"? And other movie translation shenanigans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahasverus

Yes it's another Star Wars Thread because why not.

This is inspired by some funny facebook pics, Star Wars Hype is everywhere, even here in Latin American poeple are making jokes in anticipation and all that stuff. What catched my attention was some image talking about "Arturito", at first I was like, who the hell is Arturito, then it hit me.. R2-D2, sounds like Arturito (little Arthur) and the old dubbing DID intentionaly pronnounced it like that.

It's not the only case, many movies and shows have gotten quirky in translation, like Grease changed to Vaseline because the original word for Grease is "Fat", or Gone With the Wind translated as "What the wind took away" which in my humble opinion is a nicer title, or the Orane Clockwork being translated to... The Mechanical Orange?. Still the point is, things change meaning going from a language to another and there is few that could be done about it.

What do you think GAF, is movie translation an acceptable practice or should foreginers get the movies as "pure" as they could, nonsense and all?

And most importantly, is R2 really called Arturito? I'm going with yes.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
then what is R2 D4 supposed to be? german cousin?

translation is necessary, but whether or not it is dubbed or subbed is completely preference. subbed is the best if it is live action. some would say for animation too, but i think its a wash there.

It was before it's time product placement. It's actually pronounced RDorito.

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah the Latin American translation frequently referred to R2D2 as "Arturito".

It was the stupidest fucking thing, even back then. I guess some translator saw the script referring to it as "Artoo" and whoever read it just went wild.

R2-D2 is named for Reel 2, Dialogue Track 2. Probably was just a thing that Lucas thought was cute while working on another film.

Dizzy-4U

The Ring = La Llamada (as in "The ring from a phone call")

It made me really angry back then. They didn't even watched the damn thing.

Manu

You could argue that was the intented meaning in the Japanese original. There's no ring in the video.

For some reason in the time of the original trilogy, particularly the first one, the script, novels, merch and everything are really enamored with spelling out the pronunciations like that, in the English version too. It's all Artoo Detoo and See Threepio. And I really think Obi Wan was meant to be OB1 Kenobi somehow originally... like maybe he was going to be a clone of Ben Kenobi or something? I don't know.

For some reason in the time of the original trilogy, particularly the first one, the script, novels, merch and everything are really enamored with spelling out the pronunciations like that, in the English version too. It's all Artoo Detoo and See Threepio. And I really think Obi Wan was meant to be OB1 Kenobi somehow originally... like maybe he was going to be a clone of Ben Kenobi or something? I don't know.

I was going to comment on this because I was watching Star Wars the other day with subtitles on and noticed that R2 was spelled out as Artoo and I couldn't imagine someone messing that up by accident.

Cormano

Yeah, they were Arturito and Tripio for me growing up (Argentina).

Same.

No reason to get angry, this is for mere marketing purposes. Some people still go to the movies and just pick one based on the movie title.

Look at Rosemary's baby, back in the late 60's, something like "El bebé de Rosemary" doesn't sound appealing and therefore it was changed to "La Semilla de Diablo"

It makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

Fj0823

If anything the whole "Arturito" shit gave us the amazing re dub. that Dub fixed almost every acting issue with the prequels and gave Vader a James Earl Jones tier voice with the late federico Romano.

ROFL, the quote + the gif.

It was hard to mantain my tea inside my mouth LELELELEL.

I'm from Chile and I can confirm here since forever R2-D2 was called Arturito.

Also, I agree spanish (I mean from Spain) translations are the worst:

Die Hard was Duro de Matar (Hard to Kill), which makes sense. In Spain it was...

Jungla de Cristal (Glass Jungle)

W T F

Salsa

dude the movie's called the ring both because there's a ring in the posters and because you get a call (a "ring") when you're done watching the video

I mean, I hate translations but that one at least makes a bit of sense

Manu

So many Argentinians in this thread lol. Represent!

EDIT:

dude the movie's called the ring both because there's a ring in the posters and because you get a call (a "ring") when you're done watching the video

I mean, I hate translations but that one at least makes a bit of sense

Yup. And as I mentioned before, the ring in the videotape wasn't in the original Japanese movie.

Probably an "Enemy Mine" situation.

Salsa

Jungla de Cristal is kinda badass

idk guys there's some terrible spanish translations and you're picking the somewhat alright ones

Duro de Matar is actually worse. It's like the opposite of Die Hard

Salsa

my favorite movie title spanish translations is when they leave the original english name but add a random spanish subtitle

what are you even doing

BahamutPT

Die Hard was Duro de Matar (Hard to Kill), which makes sense. In Spain it was...

Jungla de Cristal (Glass Jungle)

W T F

In Portugal we got, roughly re-translated into English:

Die Hard -> Assalto ao Arranha-Céus -> Skyscraper Assault
Die Hard 2 -> Assalto ao Aeroporto -> Airport Assault

Not as bad, since they still make some sense and relate to each movie's plot, but still WTF

One of the best is:

Little Miss Sunshine -> Uma Família à Beira de um Ataque de Nervos -> A Family on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom