• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is R2-D2 named to sound like "Arturito"? And other movie translation shenanigans

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyOdin

What do you think GAF, is movie translation an acceptable practice or should foreginers get the movies as "pure" as they could, nonsense and all?

And most importantly, is R2 really called Arturito? I'm going with yes.

Well, the original script for Star Wars: A New Hope pretty much exclusively called the droids Artoo-Detoo and See-Threepio. The spellings R2-D2 and C-3PO were only used once at the beginning in parenthesis. I'm not sure if it is a common script writing convention to spell names like that in a phonetic manner, but every instance of the script pretty much calls R2-D2 just "Artoo". To me, it feels like less of a stretch for a translator to go from "Artoo-Detoo" to "Arturito".

I also generally support translators changing names during translation if it works better in a new language. "Artoo" is pretty much R2-D2's name, but the transition from R2 to "Artoo" only really works in English, since letters and numbers are pronounced differently in different languages. The "Arturito" translation seems to be based on the idea of preserving Luke's use of "Artoo" as R2-D2's nickname, while trying to make the name make sense in a new language.

Jungla de Cristal is kinda badass

idk guys there's some terrible spanish translations and you're picking the somewhat alright ones

Duro de Matar is actually worse. It's like the opposite of Die Hard

No way, dude.

Duro de Matar makes much more sense. Jungla de Cristal makes reference to the building (I guess) whereas Duro de Matar has 100% to do with Bruce Willis' character.

Please, name worse examples (I need a good laugh).

In Portugal we got, roughly re-translated into English:

Die Hard -> Assalto ao Arranha-Céus -> Skyscraper Assault
Die Hard 2 -> Assalto ao Aeroporto -> Airport Assault

Not as bad, since they still make some sense and relate to each movie's plot, but still WTF

One of the best is:

Little Miss Sunshine -> Uma Família à Beira de um Ataque de Nervos -> A Family on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown

LOL, those are terrible :D

Dai101

Banned
Arturito is amateur level.
This? this is masterful bullshit:

kame-hame-ha-in-spanish-onda-vital.jpg

ZGTH7qx.jpg

Guys i feel in the need to contribute that Bomberman (the game) was marketed as "Don pepe y los globos" (Mr Pepe and the balloons) in spain.

I'm not even kidding.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Yeah, they were Arturito and Tripio for me growing up (Argentina).
Yup, in UY too. Can't really remember when they switched to R2-D2 and C3-PO though, but probably around the time they dropped "La Guerra de las Galaxias" (which is funny as a title if you think about it, given that the movies take place in only one galaxy).

The Ring = La Llamada (as in "The ring from a phone call")

It made me really angry back then. They didn't even watched the damn thing.
I disagree, "La Llamada" actually makes a lot of sense, since you know, the characters get a phone call that tells them they are going to die after they watch the video :p

It's " El Aro" in latinamerica. Spain spanish translations are the worse. A todo gas, I can't even.
Not in all of it, the southern cone (AR, CL, UY) traditionally had different translations for the names of movies, and that was one of them.

lbcc-han-cholo-09132015.jpg

Princess Lola, Artuito, and Juan Cholo
#dead

Jungla de Cristal is kinda badass

idk guys there's some terrible spanish translations and you're picking the somewhat alright ones

Duro de Matar is actually worse. It's like the opposite of Die Hard
"Duro de Matar" is more honest, McClane is one tough, hard to kill motherfucker XD

my favorite movie title spanish translations is when they leave the original english name but add a random spanish subtitle

what are you even doing
Yeah, those are great, but I tend to prefer those were they go way over the top with the puns. Man, LatAm translators really love puns...

The movies turned him into "Wolverine", he was referenced as "Guepardo" before that.

or the Orane Clockwork being translated to... The Mechanical Orange?. Still the point is, things change meaning going from a language to another and there is few that could be done about it.

Mechanical Orange is a perfectly valid translation. That's exactly what's meant by naming the novel A Clockwork Orange. It's supposed to give you a mental picture of something that's lovely and healthy on the outside, but wholly artificial on the inside.

Ishida

Banned
Here's a small one that is mostly irrelevant, but still.

In the Latin American dub for Back to the Future, the "Flux Capacitor" device was translated as "Condensador de Flujos" (Flux Condenser).

I always wondered why, since they could have just as easily translate to "Capacitor de Flujos". The change for the Capacitor/Condenser word never made sense to me.

Brace for the disappointment, but this is not how a wolverine looks like

incredibile-ghepardo-feroce_1819346571.jpg

The thing is in spanish the word for wolverine (the animal) is "glotón" (glutton in english) a word that is associated with somebody who eats a lot, it will be very fun to see the character being called by that name.

ED Cantu

This one is not from a movie, but it blew my mind when I found about it.

USA = Bugs Bunny
Latinamerica = Conejo Bugs
Spain = Conejo Serapio

Why, why serapio? I'll never understand it.

Thinking about it, they would have had to either say the letters and numbers in the dubbed language which may not roll off the tongue too well or say them in English with an accent which can throw off the pace of the dialog. Neat change to sound phonetically close while coming up with an alternative naming format.

In the Latin American dub for Back to the Future, the "Flux Capacitor" device was translated as "Condensador de Flujos" (Flux Condenser).

I always wondered why, since they could have just as easily translate to "Capacitor de Flujos". The change for the Capacitor/Condenser word never made sense to me.

If I'm not mistaken, that change comes from the more extended use of "condensador" outside of Mexico as a translation instead of "capacitor." And frankly, it rolls way better.

danielcw

The same thing happened in German, "Fluxkondensator". Maybe a version of the text send to translators had the wrong term, or it is a coincidence

KDR_11k

I guess "Wolverine" only sounds cool in English. In German the animal is called the Vielfraß (eat-a-lot) so they keep the name untranslated and hope people think of wolves instead. Seems the Spanish translators didn't notice.

No idea how to properly translate names like "Die Hard" though. It's called Stirb Langsam (die slowly) here.

Condenser and capacitor are the same thing in an electrical circuit, no?

For some reason in the time of the original trilogy, particularly the first one, the script, novels, merch and everything are really enamored with spelling out the pronunciations like that, in the English version too. It's all Artoo Detoo and See Threepio.
Ew, really? Also, wouldn't it be Artoo Deetoo?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Also, I agree spanish (I mean from Spain) translations are the worst:

Die Hard was Duro de Matar (Hard to Kill), which makes sense. In Spain it was...

Jungla de Cristal (Glass Jungle)

W T F
Wait, "jungla" is a real word? Ew.

"Selva" forever.

To little kids, it's way easier to say "Arturito" than "Artudito", so you could say that was something the dubbing company did in order to sell stuff, or just because it was a inside joke among the dubbing actors. C3PO (Tripio) got the same treatment and, to be honest, it makes them more endearing than their robotic names (although that's my opinion).

The practice that confused me when I was young (and didn't know English) was leaving the original English subtitle and then adding a random subtitle or saying something completely different instead of translating the movie's title.

Also, Latin America has better translations than Spain!

Latin American / Spanish movie marketers seem to have an aversion for movies named after a person. Instead they try to give away in the title.

Billy Madison : Tonto pero no tanto. "Dumb, but not so dumb"

Jerry Maguire : Amor y desafío. "Love and challenges"

Larry crown : el amor llama dos veces. "Love calls twice"

Raist

Banned
What?...

Let me see that...

donpepe31.jpg

There are no words...

That's not entirely true. That title actually refers to a very early version of bomberman, that was called Eric & the floaters in the UK. It was for the ZX spectrum and a couple of other platforms.

eric-26patq.jpg

Grath

Hungarian titles are awful, truly awful.

Blade Runner: Winged Headhunter
Alien: The Eighth Passenger: Death
Aliens: The Name of the Planet: Death
Alien 3: The Final Solution: Death
Alien Resurrection: Alien 4 - Death Reborns
Speed Racer: Total Turbo
The Pacifier: Uncle Gorilla
Tremors: Wherever I Step, a Monster Materializes
Resident Evil: Beehive
True Lies: Between two fires/shots (the Hungarian word is for both)
High Fidelity: Pop, Girls, Etc.
Home Alone: Fear, You Robbers!
Three Kings: Desert Sharks
Lake Placid: The Monster
Oceans Eleven: Triple or Nothing
Cool Hand Luke: Handcuff and Smile
Wild Hogs: Fathers on Motorcycles
Die Hard: Don't Give Away Your Life Cheap
Die Hard 2: Your Life is Even More Expensive
Die Hard with a vengeance: Die Hard - Life is Always Expensive
Live free or die hard: Die Hard 4.0 -Your Life is the most Expensive
The Whole nine yards: My Neighbour is an Assassin
Le Boulet: The Badass, the Turkish, the Guard and the Woman
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf: We are not Afraid of the Wolf
Jumper: Hypertraveler

From another similar thread.

Ar = R
tu = 2
ri = R?
to = 2

No?
Not at all whatsoever. The reason arturito works and became a thing is because when saying r2d2 really fast in spanish it sounds like Arturito which is an actual name in spanish (well a version of it).

Are you a Spanish speaker? Because it's pretty clear for someone like me that speaks it fluently/fast.

In the french dub of ANH, The Millenium Falcon was called "Le Millénium Condor", They switched Falcon to Condor, for some reasons! Then in the later movies, they used Faucon.

Mabufu

Banned
This one is not from a movie, but it blew my mind when I found about it.

USA = Bugs Bunny
Latinamerica = Conejo Bugs
Spain = Conejo Serapio

Why, why serapio? I'll never understand it.

Where did you get that from?

In Spain was also Bugs Bunny : /

And LMAO on the Die Hard spanish translation, hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom