• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Return of the King the most tearjerking ending in a movie ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pashmilla

Banned
I finished watching RotK like twenty minutes ago and I'm still fuckin crying. I think what's most unique about this ending is that something makes you cry, then you calm down, then something else happens and you start crying all over again, and this cycle repeats like 15 times in the last 40 minutes or so.

For those who need a refresher:

i-cant-carry-it-for-you-_d4dcdb2d5a4bc6fa2e254b1d0eba23af.jpg

"I can't carry it for you... but I can carry you!"

"Sons of Gondor! Of Rohan! My brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand! Men of the West!"

"I'm glad you are with me, Samwise Gamgee... here at the end of all things."

"My friends... you bow to no one."

"I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil."

"Well, I'm back."

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
The night is falling
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

What can you see
On the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?
Across the sea
A pale moon rises
The ships have come to carry you home

And all will turn
To silver glass
A light on the water
All Souls pass

Hope fades
Into the world of night
Through shadows falling
Out of memory and time
Don't say
We have come now to the end
White shores are calling
You and I will meet again
And you'll be here in my arms
Just sleeping

And all will turn
To silver glass
A light on the water
Grey ships pass
Into the West

The emotional destruction is too real guys ;A; can any movie compare in terms of volume and number of times tears are shed?

bengraven

I was trying so hard to not full on bawl in theater but I wasn't expecting "you bow to no one" and I think I audibly moaned in happy sadness.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
bleh, no.

go watch Moon Light, that's emotionally devastation and catharsis all in one.

bionic77

Was not like that for

For a maximum of feels the ending of the Last of the Mohicans is up there. That fucking music. That fucking music.

NYR

Life is Beautiful, Million Dollar Baby and The Mist. Those 3rd acts/endings hit you like a ton of bricks.

There wasn't enough loss in the Lord of the RIng movies to really warrant an emotional reaction at the end for me. Only one fellowship dude died, and the movie portrayed him badly so you didn't even feel bad.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
nothing tops toy story 3

Ewwwwww.
If it had ended with all of them burning together then I'd agree.
The ending that we actually got was terrible.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Schindler's List with all of the surviving Schindler Jews putting a stone on his grave one by one

Always gets me

Moppeh

Banned
Uhhhhh... No.

The only film ending I cried at the end at is The End of the Tour, so that, I guess.

I almost cried at the end of Schindler's List, so that's another one worth mentioning.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
As someone who counts RotK as one of his top movies of all time...no, not even close. What? I mean it has catharsis, but ever? C'mon.

And no, the ending isn't too long. It's a 12 hour story, 30 minutes of denouement is not in any way excessive.

Ponn

Banned
Yea, balled like a baby in the theater and it wasn't just the smell from being in one of the trilogy marathon events they held for the premiere. So bittersweet and the bromance farewell scene got me hard. The Annie Lennox song playing immediately afterward did not help at all.

For all the hardcore "I don't cry at movies" peeps I also suggest My Life with Michael Keaton. Tell me you don't cry after watching that movie, I dare you.

pashmilla

Banned
There wasn't enough loss in the Lord of the RIng movies to really warrant an emotional reaction at the end for me. Only one fellowship dude died, and the movie portrayed him badly so you didn't even feel bad.

But there is loss - not physical loss, necessarily, but it's definitely there:

How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart you begin to understand... there is no going back? There are some things that time cannot mend. Some hurts that go too deep, that have taken hold.

The loss of Frodo and Sam's innocence and joy is heartbreaking in itself. Seeing Sam break down when talking about Rosie with ribbons in her hair is what really drives that point home to me.

Tear-jerking because they made the bold yet obvious choice to leave out the scouring of the shire.

I can see the appeal of giving the hobbits one last adventure to show how far they've come, but what a pacing-killing coda that would have been.

wamberz1

As someone who counts RotK as one of his top movies of all time...no, not even close. What? I mean it has catharsis, but ever? C'mon.

And no, the ending isn't too long. It's a 12 hour story, 30 minutes of denouement is not in any way excessive.

Yeah, I didn't mind the ending at all. Too many movies just end abruptly, it was nice to see one that cleanly wrapped things up.

Howard Shore did some God level work on these soundtracks. Really gave these scenes some punch

When that theme kicks in during the bow to no-one scene...whew. gets me everytime

Personally I think fellowship of the ring had the best ending tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom