• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is split screen almost a dead idea???

samusx

Banned
So I have been thinking about how many controller ports the next systems will have. I am wondering if Sony will have 2 again. I got to thinking, how many games now adays are 4 player games? There are a few out there, but are there that many that offer 4 player split screen? I am just wondering. I don't do any multiplayer gaming, tis the life of a growing older gamer. You know, no time and such.

Deg

Banned
samusx said:
I don't do any multiplayer gaming, tis the life of a growing older gamer.

Or a lonely gamer.

There's quite afew 4 player games htis gen compared to last. Pretty big market. MKDD sold hell of alot so far for example and certain genres need to have 4 player.

cvxfreak

In a few years, perhaps in as little as five, a good chunk of TVs will be plasma or projection, and split screen gaming would work extremely well on them.

samusx

Banned
Oh yes, I agree, I think that split screen is not so much about size of the screen as it is about the fact that the system has to make 4 of the same image. There is a lot of power needed to do that. With gamers demand for such intense and amazing graphics now adays, I don't know how the amazing graphics of the next generations systems are going to be able to reproduce that 4 times for each split of the screen. Just a thought.

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
The dying split screen is a product of online gaming. Because all you lonely fu**ers don't have friends, I have fewer games to play with mine.

Split screen >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> online. Most developers only support one, and it's been online most of the time this gen. I hope the novelty of online gaming wears off soon so I can go back to having more games to play with my friends.

MarkRyan-IGN said:
The dying split screen is a product of online gaming. Because all you lonely fu**ers don't have friends, I have fewer games to play with mine.

Split screen >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> online. Most developers only support one, and it's been online most of the time this gen. I hope the novelty of online gaming wears off soon so I can go back to having more games to play with my friends.

Keep dreaming. Online isn't a novelty, It's the future. You better start making some online friends.

Deg

Banned
Online and splitscreen will both coexist as long as multiplayer games exist. At the moment there's more in splitscreen then there are online of course.

samusx

Banned
I think that online gaming pushing split screen multiplay out is another effect of the "casual gamer". Because the casual gamer might be a person that has a job, or wife/family. It is hard to get a group of your nerdy friends over to your house just to play some games together. This way with online you don't need to worry. There is always somebody out there that you can play against. Just another side effect of casual gaming taking over.

border

MarkRyan-IGN said:
Most developers only support one, and it's been online most of the time this gen.
Doesn't seem that way at all to me. What games have dropped splitscreen when they went online?

So far everyone has tried to expand traditional multiplayer into online, not cut one in favor of the other. It's stupid to do so, given that they translate pretty easy. The only company that does one-or-the-other is Nintendo......and they only do splitscreen.

Deg

Banned
samusx said:
I think that online gaming pushing split screen multiplay out is another effect of the "casual gamer". Because the casual gamer might be a person that has a job, or wife/family. It is hard to get a group of your nerdy friends over to your house just to play some games together. This way with online you don't need to worry. There is always somebody out there that you can play against. Just another side effect of casual gaming taking over.

Casual gamers dont care about online as much.

MarkRyan

border said:
Doesn't seem that way at all to me. What games have dropped splitscreen when they went online?
Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Rainbow Six 3, Pandora Tomorrow, and SOCOM come to mind.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I can live with split-screen, but I'd much rather go the LAN/Online route so I can get a whole screen to myself.

snapty00

Banned
To me, it seems so outdated. Yeah, I guess it's okay sometimes, but whenever I play a game like that, I can't help but think there are much better ways to do it, such as online or even (W)LAN.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
As far as split-screen gaming concerns.. my fiance brings her friends around just to play MK: DD on GC, 4 players apiece. I asked her if she ever wanted to play it online and she said no, it's more fun when her and her friends are screaming and cursing at each other. This, coming from a semi-gamer who goes online as much as anyone else.

As for myself, I don't mind it at all. But does the whole one camera angle multiplayer be defined into this type of debate? If so.. I would trade a thousand online games with strangers/associated online friends matches in Pro Evolution Soccer 3 to just have one game of pure hard battles of pride with my brother on the same game. It does not matter how great some games I will have online, the entire impact of a goal that you have totally popped out of your arse or that brute defence to save the last minute of your match against someone who is sitting nearby in the same room cannot ever be substituted for an online match on the same granduer scale.

Granted, I have more single-player titles than anything else, but the emotional feelings and adrenaline far outweigh the taunts and silly abuse thrown online.

^ this coming from a dedicated online PC gamer and console lover.

Deg

Banned
snapty00 said:
To me, it seems so outdated. Yeah, I guess it's okay sometimes, but whenever I play a game like that, I can't help but think there are much better ways to do it, such as online or even (W)LAN.

Sure. But what if there are people there where you are(heaven forbid :p ). You cant go and set up all the tv's and buy more consoles. Cost too much. Too much hassle.

border

Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Rainbow Six 3, Pandora Tomorrow, and SOCOM come to mind.
Okay, that's like a handful of games compared to the number still including splitscreen......and all of the Xbox titles listed will support LAN modes anyway. I really think you're overstating the "death" of splitscreen.

And Pandora Tomorrow? Aside from the fact that it never really had multiplayer in the first place.....how is a stealth game supposed to work when you know exactly where your opponent is? That's why it is LAN-only.

Squad-based games like SOCOM and Rainbow Six are naturally going to be slanted towards online/LAN play because there's no way to assemble 2 full-sized squads on one television set.

If there really is no splitscreen in RTCW, then that is retarded. The game isn't so technically demanding that they couldn't do it....it's still running on the Q3A engine =\

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Split screen has nothing to do with 4 controller ports. Look at Mario Party, Smash Bros, Donkey Konga, bomberman, etc. It's games like that that still require 4 ports.

Gantz

Banned
Split-screen gaming sucks. All multiplayer console games should have the option to hook up to multiple tv sets.

samusx said:
Oh yes, I agree, I think that split screen is not so much about size of the screen as it is about the fact that the system has to make 4 of the same image. There is a lot of power needed to do that. With gamers demand for such intense and amazing graphics now adays, I don't know how the amazing graphics of the next generations systems are going to be able to reproduce that 4 times for each split of the screen. Just a thought.

That's pretty much it, right there. Hopefully, next-gen consoles will have less of a problem with supporting this when reasonable and offering system-link and online support. Some games just aren't well-suited for split-screen play, and some suffer too much (from a visually-playable level) when the game starts zooming out too far for same-screen play.

MarkRyan-IGN said:

Today 10:56 AM

Oh god, please... Online gaming is the future, but it doesn't mean that split-screen gaming is going to suffer directly, as a result, IMO. Ya know, many of us have moved outta the places we grew up, have much less time to set up gaming-nights, and often have friends that play games but they live too far away to make things like that a possibility whenever we want like when we were younger. Online gaming is more than just another way to play multiplayer games. It's a fucking godsend for many of us who don't have better options all of the time.

miyuru

CVXFREAK said:
In a few years, perhaps in as little as five, a good chunk of TVs will be plasma or projection, and split screen gaming would work extremely well on them.

It's not that, it's that the resolution per player is lower, so shit is harder to see.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
miyuru said:
It's not that, it's that the resolution per player is lower, so shit is harder to see.

All Xbox 2 games will be running at 720p; not sure what the others will run at.

Possibly the gen after next they will have a crazy res so everyone can see :D

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Gantz said:
Split-screen gaming sucks. All multiplayer console games should have the option to hook up to multiple tv sets.
Multi-TV Gaming on One console will probably never work. Instead of splitting up the same number of pixels between two players you have to double the number of pixels. Killing the GPU.

Phoenix

Lathentar said:
Multi-TV Gaming on One console will probably never work. Instead of splitting up the same number of pixels between two players you have to double the number of pixels. Killing the GPU.

Finally someone with sense. Its also not scalable because not all games limit themselves to 2 player splitscreen.

etiolate

Banned
There's plenty of split screen fun. PS2 only owners may no realize it though, since most developers don't support it since Sony really doesn't. There certainly needs to be four ports continued into the next-gen. Online competition just feels different, less alive than four controllers and a TV.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
PS2 only owners may no realize it though, since most developers don't support it since Sony really doesn't.
Do tell, non-PS2 owning gamer. Regale us with your extensive knowledge of the PS2 splitscreen multiplayer scene.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
MarkRyan-IGN said:

Split Screen is no where near gaming online. First off split screen has many flaws. Reduced frame rate, screen size, detail, and at most 4 players at once. With online gaming you do have lag which could be considered frame rate but all those other problems found on split screen gaming are avoided. On top of the techinical positives of online gaming, we life friendly advantages. Since I don't live with daddy and mommy, I have a life which equals job, house, wife, and kids. So trying to goto my friends house to play some flawed split screen gaming is kind of hard since my friends have lifes too. So maybe when you get a life, you will understand or when you can afford to get an online connection. Online gaming is here to stay!

doncale

Banned
I hope so. I've always hated split screen gaming. even with games that I love. I simply don't play split screen anymore, haven't do so for years.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Split-Screen is cool because you are in the same room that the other players(your friends). You can see their faces, tease them,....

Online is cool because there is tons of people always ready to play and the competition can be tougher.

They have both their advantages and neither should be abandoned.

Ranger X

There's not enough splitscreen fun this gen. I mean, online is not all that popular and there's too many game without a 2-3-4 player mode. That's a shame.

Deg

Banned
Wyzdom said:
There's not enough splitscreen fun this gen. I mean, online is not all that popular and there's too many game without a 2-3-4 player mode. That's a shame.

There's been plenty of great 4 player games. They dont have to be splitscreen either. Mario Party 5 or SSBM for example.

Milhouse31 said:
Split-Screen is cool because you are in the same room that the other players(your friends). You can see their faces, tease them,....

Online is cool because there is tons of people always ready to play and the competition can be tougher.

They have both their advantages and neither should be abandoned.

Yup.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
etiolate said:
No four controller ports and no big four player title to support it.
Irrelevant.

There are more than a few co-op and split screen 2P games on PS2, good ol' K. Damacy as being the most recent example that I can name off the top of my head.

But, whatever. As long as old-game compilations continue to be made and repackaged, there'll always be some presence of split-screen games, even if future devlopment thereof dies out.

Matt

MarkRyan-IGN said:
RtCW did have split-screen, and the squeal to Rainbow Six 3, Black Arrow, had it as well.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
*BREAKING NEWS*

No Online for Halo 2. Just 4 player splitscreen.

Now u can discuss.

MarkRyan

Matt said:
RtCW did have split-screen, and the squeal to Rainbow Six 3, Black Arrow, had it as well.
RtCW does not have split-screen outside of the single player campaign (for co-op). And Black Arrow, I'm pretty certain, is 2-way split only. That doesn't count as multiplayer.

Top Bottom