• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the addition of SSDs really as big a deal as people are making it out to be?

My biggest issue with current gen open world games is the immersion-breaking nature of pop-in, the more busy with stuff the more aggressive the pop-in. SSD's will absolutely matter.

Lethal01

How about some of the professionals on these boards put out some of the hyperbole concerning what these SSDs can and can not do. Perhaps then, people will be more accepting of reality and not give me a hard time when I echo what they do.

The developers disagree with you. Nobody is who's had to deal with games that require tons of streaming from storage is going to back you up unless you ask them something dumb like "will the SSD double my resolution and process Global illumination"

The developers are constantly saying how much more this will let them do.

TheContact

PS4 HDDPS4 Pro HDDKingston SSD
Read Throughput75.2 MB/s88.1 MB/s293.1 MB/s
Write Throughput73.6 MB/s87.1 MB/s250.5 MB/s
Read IOPS (4K)58 IOPS61 IOPS7036 IOPS
Write IOPS (4K)122 IOPS124 IOPS6701 IOPS
Read Latency17.2 ms16.8 ms0.145 ms
PS4 HDD: HGST HTS545050A7E680 (500GB; 5400 RPM);
PS4 Pro HDD: HGST HTS541010A9E680 (1TB; 5400 RPM);
SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3480G (480GB)
source:
https://techgage.com/article/sonys-playstation-4-pro-system-performance-hdd-vs-ssd-testing/

Now, mind you, the SSD tested here was using PCIE 3.0 and the next gen systems are using 4.0
A 4.0 SSD gets you around 5.5GB/s of throughput, and theoretically up to 9 if compression is used efficiently. (src: https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/p...ng-to-pcs-in-august-thanks-to-samsung-980-pro)

So yes, it makes a huge fucking difference (not in raw graphic output as that is handled by the GPU, but it will ease the load of other components especially with the tech the ps5 is using with the way the RAM interfaces with the SSD)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

You are being ridiculous: compare that GDC presentation with the XSX DF interview/tech deep dive. Actually the correct assessment would be more like disingenuous trying to rile people up. Which is evident with you going into an SSD focused thread, posting this kind of console war BS “XSX is about games, PS5 is about the SSD” and laughing at people that react to you. Are you 12?

It is quite fanboyish to look at either those XSX presentations or The Road to PS5 and complain about those not being about games even if you went for a very very shallow reading of them: they are extremely focused at developers and developer problems when creating... you guess that... games.

Last edited:

scydrex

Yes it's. Playing Fallout 4 with all the DLC included. The loading sucks, the data streaming sucks, the LOD sucks big time, sometimes walking around the world the game stops for a couple of seconds to load the map or the new area. I think fallout 4 is the worst example... the Witcher 3 did not have did problem or ar least i did not felt it.

Top Bottom